• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - The 4th and final season - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Could they have at least spared one law-official character from having a secret vice that goes against her job? Just play it straight for once.

Alpende

Is it me or does Eliza Dushku look a lot like Kristen Ritter from Jessica Jones, especially in this episode.

Anyway, I liked the episode. Banshee has had it fair share of weird groups and now they throw in Satanists because why not.

Gotta say I'm not really enjoying this season all that much. Don't give a shit about all these flashbacks or the serial killer plot.

It feels less like an action series now and more of a meh tv drama.

Gotta say I'm not really enjoying this season all that much. Don't give a shit about all these flashbacks or the serial killer plot.

It feels less like an action series now and more of a meh tv drama.
Is this season like a cross between Banshee and Twin Peaks? Is Burton going to kill a knife wielding little person at some point?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Could they have at least spared one law-official character from having a secret vice that goes against her job? Just play it straight for once.
They killed her off 😩😩😩😩😩

Zaph

He does. Wouldn't that be a great cross over mini-series? Hood meets Bauer.

Jack: "Where were you?! Proctor is about to set off a nuclear bomb at the old Cadi!"
Hood: "Sorry, I was busy sleeping with Kim and feeling sorry for mys--"

*explosion, everyone dies*

wenis

Jack: "Where were you?! Proctor is about to set off a nuclear bomb at the old Cadi!"

I would read this web-comic.

He does. Wouldn't that be a great cross over mini-series? Hood meets Bauer.
Hood breaks Bauer out of the Russian prison. Hood teaches Bauer how to have a good time and Bauer teaches Hood how to lose his shit and kill a bunch of people whenever his girlfriend dies. "HOOD WE'ERE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!" "Nah man, I got this." *Hood Hood struts over to some guy holding a hand grenade and breaks his legs*

Hood fucks Kim, Bauer fucks Carrie and will probably proceed to feel sorry for himself as well.

wenis

That last episode would be emotional as fuck. Both of them crying in their own separate cars as they both get a phone call at the same time and all you hear is "we have your daughter" *cut to black* The clock goes back to zero, *title card* 24 in Banshee.

That last episode would be emotional as fuck. Both of them crying in their own separate cars as they both get a phone call at the same time and all you hear is "we have your daughter" *cut to black* The clock goes back to zero, *title card* 24 in Banshee.
Proctor would kill season one Kim so god damn fast. "Burton, she's annoying me. Just kill her."

wenis

Can we get an episode where it's Kim vs the Mountain Lion again but then it ends with Burton wrestling that Mountain Lion to its death.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm not feeling this season. The structure's all weird with the flashbacks. Makes it seem like there's little forward momentum. Also, did they change the creative teams? The tone's all off. Season 3 was raw as fuck, and the action was fucking fantastic. Here, it seems more like a cheap direct to DVD production for some reason. Anyone else know what I mean?

I just don't know what to think. There's been basically NO satisfying action in the first half of this season. Introducing major new plotlines when there are huge things to wrap up that have been building for three seasons? The whole season seems completely wrong. I'm pretty disappointed so far, but hopefully they bring it all together for the 2nd half.

Ekdrm2d1

What was up with the satanist seduction at the flower shop?

Job is back! We're about to rock.

Calvin is pissed! New guy in town wrecking stuff.

Bunker should have taken the shot! He was right. It would all be "over" if he got the new leader of the Brother Hood.

Go Calvin!! Whoops LOL

Good to see Job break out the clippers. Now we just need Hood to follow suit. Hood with a full head of hair is still weird.

Of course the small town of Banshee would have an S&M club, and of course it would be the most over the top S&M club in television history.

I can't be the only one who thought Burton was actually going to use his chainsaw on that poor horse.

UrbanRats

I can't be the only one who thought Burton was actually going to use his chainsaw on that poor horse.

I was hoping for it, tbh.
Fuck this show is putting me to sleep, WTF happened?

Also, the S&M, i'm i supposed to buy those people as some kind of fucked up underground club? First of all, it's 2016, S&M was maybe taboo in the 70s, not now.
Second of all, Banshee is a town with everything from drug dealers, to Nazis, to Native American purists, to Satanists, to super military mercenaries, so some people getting body mods don't really rank that high, in the shocking spectrum.
That whole scene was all sorts of dumb, and a pathetic fight scene, to boot (if you even want to call it a fight scene).

The only reason i'm not dropping out of the show now, is because it's, what, 3 episodes from the end? So whatever.

Zaph

Jeez, this season... The devil worshiper story couldn't be more boring but the show is dragging it out like it's some series-long plot the audience is heavily invested in. I want to forget everything that happened in the S&M club ("nobody leaves the same as they came in" fucking lol). Good to see Job back, but I'm not sure where they're going with him. I don't care about Nazi in-fighting.

And Dushku is somehow even worse than I remember. She must have an incredible agent.

I think someone in this thread nailed it a while back - we're going to get 45 minutes of Classic Banshee in like the last episode. It feels as if they could have wrapped the show in a single feature-length episode, but had to fill 8 hours.

TDLink

The last three episodes better be fantastic because so far this season seems like a total bust.

It's like Banshee is running away from being a pulpy action show and instead became some sort of introspective crime drama about catching a serial killer...except the writing is not nearly good enough for that. I don't care/am not invested in Bunker and his love triangle with his brother's wife or his neo-nazi family. I frankly don't care about who murdered Rebecca and the fact that she even was murdered seems like a huge creative mistake. I don't care about this devil serial killer guy either. Proctor getting in bed (and ultimately in trouble?) with the cartel seems like a promising plot, but it's so far in the background this season that it may as well not even exist (until it inevitably becomes an issue in the last episode).

I don't get what the writers were thinking with this season. Why the huge time skip? Why the change in format? Why so little action?

Is it all because of the move in shooting location? Did they not keep the action choreographer? That still wouldn't explain the creative decisions.

Bored out of my mind during this episode. Some of the episode just straight up turned to background noise. The only interesting thing is the Bunker/white supremacy storyline. Serial killer stuff sucks, Hood is boring the shit out of me, Carrie is pointless, and Proctor is even boring now.

I am concerned we may not get a single, memorable fight out of this entire season.

It's sad really. Hope the last couple of episodes proves me wrong but it would be odd if the serial killer was fantastic at hand to hand combat and the cartel seems like they'd just send gunfighters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, the S&M, i'm i supposed to buy those people as some kind of fucked up underground club? First of all, it's 2016, S&M was maybe taboo in the 70s, not now.

Yeah, haha. "These people are bad news - they're wearing leather gear!"

The last three episodes better be fantastic because so far this season seems like a total bust.

It's like Banshee is running away from being a pulpy action show and instead became some sort of introspective crime drama about catching a serial killer...except the writing is not nearly good enough for that. I don't care/am not invested in Bunker and his love triangle with his brother's wife or his neo-nazi family. I frankly don't care about who murdered Rebecca and the fact that she even was murdered seems like a huge creative mistake. I don't care about this devil serial killer guy either. Proctor getting in bed (and ultimately in trouble?) with the cartel seems like a promising plot, but it's so far in the background this season that it may as well not even exist (until it inevitably becomes an issue in the last episode).

I don't get what the writers were thinking with this season. Why the huge time skip? Why the change in format? Why so little action?

Is it all because of the move in shooting location? Did they not keep the action choreographer? That still wouldn't explain the creative decisions.

I agree with much of this. I'll reserve my final say for when the season wraps, but a lot of the decisions they've made thus far this season have been...curious.

Carrie is pointless

Carrie is the only one who has her shit together though. She's the only one who's still going out and kicking butt. They're just not giving her enough to do. :(

wenis

I'm just really curious what is going on with the production side of things. First they get the truncated season and now everything feels cheap and "we don't have the budget to really end this show in a big way so how can we write our way out of everything with just dialogue".

Those first three seasons are 🐐 But this is just going to be a stain on the series as a whole. Shame. At least Strike Back went out on top.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They decided to do a shorter season of 8 episodes because "it's the new model for cable". (hint: it isn't - the real reason for the shorter season is that they wanted to keep costs down, which is probably why we're seeing fewer action pieces)

After losing their North Carolina tax incentives, they moved production to Pennsylvania in order to take advantage of their tax credits.

Greg Yaitanes, one of the show's top people, seemingly got itchy feet and wanted to move on to Quarry (he's directing all the episodes), so he too pushed for fewer episodes. He also gave us this gem:

And you also want to ride the full wave of enthusiasm, I think. When people know they have eight episode, they know those eight episode will be even more precious. That more is going to happen within each episode.

Which. I mean. Yeah.

Zaph

Yup, definitely feels like the showrunner mailed some notes to his underlings this season and let them run with it.

Hopefully Quarry is a solid consolation prize.

Carrie is the only one who has her shit together though. She's the only one who's still going out and kicking butt. They're just not giving her enough to do. :(

She seems pretty disconnected from everything else. Why should I care about her and psychiatrist Doakes? What a waste of an actor in Doakes also. He would have been a far better FBI agent then Dushku.

wenis

She seems pretty disconnected from everything else. Why should I care about her and psychiatrist Doakes? What a waste of an actor in Doakes also. He would have been a far better FBI agent then Dushku.
Could you imagine a Doakes/Hood team up beat down?! FFFFUUUUUUUKKKK wasted potential.

Corpsepyre

Banned
We need Doakes to yell 'MOTHERFUCKER!' I keep imagining that he'll get up from his chair and tell Carrie the fuck off.

UrbanRats

Well this is probably (if it keeps this trajectory) the hardest I've seen a series fall into shit territory this fast.
But then again I haven't seen a lot of infamous offenders like Dexter and such.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well this is probably (if it keeps this trajectory) the hardest I've seen a series fall into shit territory this fast.
But then again I haven't seen a lot of infamous offenders like Dexter and such.

Dexter and Prison Break are right up there. Heroes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom