• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

mr. puppy said:
want to know how much I have left in the game so I can start doing sidequests:

I just did the tower and fell off the thing with Ra's, who is not dead on the gates and I'm supposed to go after joker. Is that the last quest, or is there still more time after that to do sidequests?
You're almost done. Don't worry you can complete all sidequests after you beat the game. I found that some for some reason don't even trigger until after I beat the game.

Imm0rt4l

aside from the challenges, I've done everything in the game except for getting all the riddler trophies and consequently his challenges. I don't think I want to even bother with that bullshit, doesn't seem fun at all, way too many. Maybe I'll start a new game plus.

Hah, I was replaying the first game on 360 to get that hard achievement while waiting for my copy of AC to arrive.
Right before fighting Ivy (so pretty far in the game) when the game hangs up. After 5 minutes of nothing, I decide to turn off the console and now my save is corrupt. Well, fuck that AA replay.

Yes, I'm venting about AA in an AC thread but I just hope this won't happen in AC. :(

(Amazingly enough, I managed to 100% the game on PC without being screwed by GFWL)

Solo

Zeliard said:
All of the complaints about having too much to do and being overwhelmed with choice are alien to me. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as having "too much choice" in a video game. The opposite issue is vastly more prevalent and significant. There can be too many lame things to do, certainly, but I don't think that's the case here at all.

I agree with others that the story is a bit less focused and interesting but I also don't think that's an issue intrinsic to open worlds. Look at Fallout: New Vegas, for example. I honestly didn't think the core storyline in AA was really anything to write home about, anyway. The great voice actors and some fun exchanges of dialogue sold it, much like this time around.

See, these two things are intrinsically linked, and the reason why I kinda feel maybe going open world was a misstep. The story is supposed to have a sense of foreboding and urgency, but the open world nature of the game makes it so you can piss off and do other stuff. The two kind of mix like oil and water.

If I had it my way, Arkham _____ would be about the size of AC, but more guided/linear ala AA.

Imm0rt4l said:
aside from the challenges, I've done everything in the game except for getting all the riddler trophies and consequently his challenges. I don't think I want to even bother with that bullshit, doesn't seem fun at all, way too many. Maybe I'll start a new game plus.
I actually found many of the Riddler challenges to be nicely varied and actually challenging to figure out, particularly the ones out in the open world. His challenge rooms (not the Riddler's Revenge part) were also fun and nicely interspersed to liven up the trophy collecting. Overall, it was much better realized in AC than AA where you basically just had to crawl through every air vent and blow up every destructible wall in the game to find them all.

cackhyena

Solo said:
If I had it my way, Arkham _____ would be about the size of AC, but more guided/linear ala AA.
Fuck no. Ugh. AA was good for what it was, but it had a reason to be that linear in that it took place on an island not much bigger then the prison that was sitting on it. Strip the freedom out of a giant chunk of city and all you'll have is fans wishing they could go here or there.

They've hit a sweet spot in this one. I wouldn't want them to go back in structure. Problem is, expansion is the only next available option for them, it seems. People are used to being Batman, flying around and stopping crimes in the city. You can't come back from that. If you expand it, how do you retain some sense of cohesive story telling.

Zeliard

Solo said:
See, these two things are intrinsically linked, and the reason why I kinda feel maybe going open world was a misstep. The story is supposed to have a sense of foreboding and urgency, but the open world nature of the game makes it so you can piss off and do other stuff. The two kind of mix like oil and water.

A sense of urgency wouldn't necessarily work all that well in a more guided corridor game either if you've still got various distractions like the Riddler stuff to go and play around with and travel back to previous areas for. Ultimately you have to be willing to suspend disbelief to a degree.

I thought Arkham City was a nice balance of open world to glide around in, get in fights, and choose objectives, as well as more guided, linear indoor environments for the main missions.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Mikasangelos said:
I like how Alfred put
Bruce in his place.
Noriega said:
That conversation with Alfred after:
cat woman saves batman. Gotham needs batman. You must realize you need to sacrifice 1 person to save 1000

Was fucking amazing. Had chills go down my spine.

He shouldn't have to be told though, it was the worst part of the game.

Sinthetic

I finished it, it was really good. I feel no compulsion at all to replay it or do the challenges. I'm disappointed I feel that way having loved Asylum. I feel emo about not loving it. Oh well, plenty more games in the November rush.

Scapegoat

krameriffic said:
I actually found many of the Riddler challenges to be nicely varied and actually challenging to figure out, particularly the ones out in the open world. His challenge rooms (not the Riddler's Revenge part) were also fun and nicely interspersed to liven up the trophy collecting. Overall, it was much better realized in AC than AA where you basically just had to crawl through every air vent and blow up every destructible wall in the game to find them all.
I agree! My initial reaction to seeing all the Riddler trophies strewn about as I went through the main story was that there were simply too many and they had gone overboard. Once I started solving them however I found they are more rewarding/clever than I recall from the first game.

RPGCrazied

Thanks for all the help with the trophies guys, I have a couple more.

Looks like a big garage. You step on the plate it opens and slowly closes. You have 3 questions marks inside. I'm sure the remote batarang is what you use? Still though it doesn't stay open hardly long enough. A little platform on the ocean with four plates and fence around them.

I only have 251/440 too. :(

Yenrot said:
How do I get into the
GCPD
to reach
Mr Freeze?
I can't find a way in.

Use the Electric Charge Gun on south side door. It only goes up part-way, so you have to slide underneath.

Oh I have an extra NOS code if someone wants to trade.

Sean

Banned
I bought a NOS drink cause I want the Beyond skin, but don't see any mention of Arkham City on the can or anything. Did I get the wrong thing? How do you redeem the codes or whatever?

Draft

Papercuts said:
The last catwoman part is godawful, what the hell.
I thought so too, at first. It's not that bad. Clear the room once, hit Two Face with a combo, clear a few of the guards he summons, hit him with another combo, clear a few more guards, finish him off.

tsigo

Draft said:
I thought so too, at first. It's not that bad. Clear the room once, hit Two Face with a combo, clear a few of the guards he summons, hit him with another combo, clear a few more guards, finish him off.

I didn't even go that far.

Go up to a gargoyle, pounce him, attack a few times, go back up to gargoyle, repeat. Once I saw the loading screen tip that he'll keep respawning guards, I just ignored them completely.

Draft said:

Catwoman spoilers.

You dont even need to do that. I took out one guard (the one next to him) then I went straight for Two Face and kept pummeling while ignoring the other enemies. Pretty lame if you ask me.

crimzonflame said:
Catwoman spoilers.

You dont even need to do that. I took out one guard (the one next to him) then I went straight for Two Face and kept pummeling while ignoring the other enemies. Pretty lame if you ask me.

I couldn't get that to work for me, so another slow but reliable option for others is to pick him off bits at a time. Get a couple combos in then vanish. Let everyone move around a bit, wait for your moment then strike again. Three goes should be enough to knock him out.

Curufinwe

Do I need to make sure I've upgraded certain Catwoman abilities before her last mission? I haven't upgraded anything on her so far.

I'm only now just about to go into
the Museum after destroying the jammers
so I think there's a lot of the main game left to play.

Mr. Sam

Just finished the game. Quite an ending.

New Game+ is neat. A shame my Batman Beyond skin doesn't appear in cutscenes, but the added challenge makes things... interesting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Draft said:

It seemed like they were being replaced the moment I took one out. I ended up beating it without taking out a single guard, 100x easier that way.

Curufinwe said:
Do I need to make sure I've upgraded certain Catwoman abilities before her last mission? I haven't upgraded anything on her so far.

I'm only now just about to go into
the Museum after destroying the jammers
so I think there's a lot of the main game left to play.

No. I still havent purchased one upgrade for her and doing just fine in the post game.

MG310

399 Riddler Challenges down - anyone know where I can find unarmed enemies who throw fire extinguishers/explosive barrels? Just need to throw a Batarang at one and I am done.

Vire

MG310 said:
399 Riddler Challenges down - anyone know where I can find unarmed enemies who throw fire extinguishers/explosive barrels? Just need to throw a Batarang at one and I am done.
Go outside the church area and there should be dudes throwing boxes.

These Challenge Rooms are wayyyy more annoying than the first game.

Por que?:
- Douchebags with shield
- Douchebags with padding/armor
- Douchebags with one arm and giant hammer

Vire

Buckethead said:

Por que?:
- Douchebags with shield
Takedowns my friend. Turn on detective vision to check out who has padding/shield real quick and either use the break the weapon combo (XY) or instakill combo (BY) immediately on those jerks.

As for the dudes with the giant hammer's, don't bother countering people around him. That's a good way to get hit. Just vault over him back and forth dealing a hit here and there.

Square Triangle said:
Hahaha, it's yours Vire when he gets to you. You're on this forum not my poor ass roommate.

<3

fulsome

Buckethead said:

Por que?:
- Douchebags with shield

Actually, I found that these Challenge Rooms are easier than the first game. As Batman, all I did was cape stun, beat down (on PS3, Circle, and mash Square). You counter as required, and if there are enemies with weapons/shields, once you get enough hits (the beat down move and counters will generate the hits really quickly), you just break their weapons.

As for the one arm people, just hit them a lot, wait until you either

a) see them slowly swinging
b) see people rushing to attack you and you need to counter

Then you just jump over the big guy (X on PS3). And you rinse, repeat until you beat the big guy. Once you do, follow the idea above.

When you face the titans, cape stun (circle 3 times on PS3) them ASAP and just ride them with shockwave (circle) and repeat the above.

Now, Catwoman on the other hand....

hamchan

Vire said:
Takedowns my friend. Turn on detective vision to check out who has padding/shield real quick and either use the break the weapon combo (XY) or instakill combo (BY) immediately on those jerks.

As for the dudes with the giant hammer's, don't bother countering people around him. That's a good way to get hit. Just vault over him back and forth dealing a hit here and there.

No!

Just break their weapons but don't instakill them because they make your multipliers higher! The armoured guys especially give your multiplier a big increase when you beat them down.

RPGCrazied

Finally, got all the side quests done, except Nigma stuff, which is at 60%. Can I do a new game plus now? Since the trophies carry over? Though when I go into side missions its all gone, but once I encounter him, it'll be back at 60%, right?

Vire

hamchan said:
No!

Just break their weapons but don't instakill them because they make your multipliers higher! The armoured guys especially give your multiplier a big increase when you beat them down.
Yeah yeah, I get that but you can easily get over the minimum required by doing it the easy way.

If you do it your way you end up with about 50,000 extra points haha.

RPGCrazied said:
Finally, got all the side quests done, except Nigma stuff, which is at 60%. Can I do a new game plus now? Since the trophies carry over? Though when I go into side missions its all gone, but once I encounter him, it'll be back at 60%, right?
Yes.
LiK said:
I BEAT RIDDLER! holy crap, that took a while.
Win, grats.

Vire said:

<3
Good advice, I keep forgetting what does what in their newfangled combo system.

But in AA it was mostly managing the field and timing attacks. This is more convoluted, IMO.

RPGCrazied

Vire said:
Yeah yeah, I get that but you can easily get over the minimum required by doing it the easy way.

Yes.

Yes! Thanks, I've been in my first game for so long trying to complete everything. I'd like to start the new story mode while I look for the rest.

hamchan

Vire said:

No one else cares about the leaderboard? :-(

Top Bottom