• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

GQman2121

Banned
There's nothing more satisfying then leaping out of a vent in the ground, grabbing an unsuspecting goon by the head, and swinging directly into a DDT. Between Batman and Saints Row this is the season of the DDT.

Also, combo-ing the Hell out of a crowd of thugs and slamming their heads into walls has never been more fulfilling. The animation system really is something else.

And I'm I the only one that says to themselves "hello boys" whenever I slide knees first into a battle with Catwoman? It just seems appropriate for all occasions that do not involve stealth. :p

W Hudson

Wow the
Mr. Freeze boss fight on New Game + is really kicking my ass. This is my third playthrough, and I thought I remembered all of the tactics that you can use against him. Guess not, I exhausted my moves but he still had health. Will try again later. What an amazing fight, and its not truly experienced until you play on NG+. Love how he jams your Detective Mode and you don't have access to the Bat computer.

.GqueB.

Banned
W Hudson said:
Love how he jams your Detective Mode and you don't have access to the Bat computer.
Well that just sounds scary. I pretty much had that on for the entire fight. But did you try jumping from rails? Thats what I ended up doing. There are so many that he often misses a few here and there. You have to be fast though. And lead him around the level correctly.

GeoramA

Just beat it. Meh, ending was nothing special. I have no desire to finish Catwoman's story, NG+ or challenge maps.

Got burnt out on this game very fast for some reason.

LiK

W Hudson said:
Wow the
Mr. Freeze boss fight on New Game + is really kicking my ass. This is my third playthrough, and I thought I remembered all of the tactics that you can use against him. Guess not, I exhausted my moves but he still had health. Will try again later. What an amazing fight, and its not truly experienced until you play on NG+. Love how he jams your Detective Mode and you don't have access to the Bat computer.

so even the bosses in NG+ are way harder? sounds awesome.

.GqueB.

Banned
I also have a question actually. A little while ago, I got an error saying my file was corrupt. This made me nervous so I reboot the game and it was fine. Now I just beat
Freeze... (is this even a spoiler?)
and I havent seen Catwoman since she went to talk to Ivy which felt like forever ago. Seems like a long time. Did my Catwoman D/L get corrupted? Feels like I shouldve been playing as her again since then.

Im actually hoping so because I hate playing as her for the most part.

W Hudson said:
Wow the

Silent Takedown
Line Launcher
Disruptor
Magnets
Destroy ice statue of his wife when he's near it
Explode a wall into him
Explosive gel on the floor and get him to walk near it
Electrocuting the water
Grate takedown
Glass window takedown
Glass ceiling takedown
Takedown from railing as he goes below you
Does a glide kick work? Don't remember.

LiK

.GqueB. said:
I also have a question actually. A little while ago, I got an error saying my file was corrupt. This made me nervous so I reboot the game and it was fine. Now I just beat
and I havent seen Catwoman since she went to talk to Ivy which felt like forever ago. Seems like a long time. Did my Catwoman D/L get corrupted? Feels like I shouldve been playing as her again since then.

she's actually not in it much. you'll play as her again
post-game
. her story continues.

Hixx

GeoramA said:
Just beat it. Meh, ending was nothing special. I have no desire to finish Catwoman's story, NG+ or challenge maps.

I loved the ending. It was an actual conclusion, not some half arsed attempt at one we usually get in games these days.

I wonder where the story goes from here, can't wait to find out.

vixlar

.GqueB. said:

Bad news, you're about to met her again :p

W Hudson

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Silent Takedown
Line Launcher
Disruptor
Magnets
Destroy ice statue of his wife when he's near it
Explode a wall into him
Explosive gel on the floor and get him to walk near it
Electrocuting the water
Grate takedown
Glass window takedown
Glass ceiling takedown
Takedown from railing as he goes below you
Does a glide kick work? Don't remember.

Thanks I forgot a couple of those.

LiK said:
so even the bosses in NG+ are way harder? sounds awesome.

The only one that has been significantly more difficult for me has been
Mr. Freeze. Grundy seemed similar to when I played him on hard, but I think he could take a little more damage. Same with Ra's al Ghul, but its a lot harder fighting the 'clones' he makes of himself without the counter indicators over their head.

Zeliard

matrix-cat said:
I have my good days and my bad ones, and I feel like I spend a lot of time countering moves that aren't there or being clobbered when I'm not looking. I'm still getting used to Double Counters after spending so much time fighting in Arkham Asylum. Even when I'm at my most frustrated I know that it's all my fault, but that only makes me more frustrated :p

The secret to everything is just dodging, though. Dodge dodge dodge. You can literally do it forever without breaking your combo, it's just a matter of having the patience. I find that enemies are a lot more aggressive in Arkham City, they'll get up from being knocked down faster and they'll chase you if you try and roll away for some distance, and fighting with so many guys so close to you is a recipe for disaster so dodging to a less dense part of the fight is essential. Being able to dodge infinitely means you only have to fight where you want to fight; they'll chase you but you just have to dodge some more.

Yep so long as you're dodging and timing things properly you can pretty much beat an entire army of enemies in one continuous beatdown. I beat the
Mad Hatter
section in one huge, flowing combo. I ended up at around 140x or so.

GeoramA said:

How similar is it to AA? I have read that the combat has been expanded, but the combat in the first game offered little challenge after you mastered the basics...

LiK

nelsonroyale said:
How similar is it to AA? I have read that the combat has been expanded, but the combat in the first game offered little challenge after you mastered the basics...

way better, more moves and gadgets, the ability to counter more than one guy at the same time. seems faster too.

RPGCrazied

Someone needs to make a riddler guide. :p

Need help again

You stand on the plate, and a green arrow lights up on the wall. I can't figure this out. Another one is a big area blocked off by a fence that is electrified. There is one on the way to the wonder tower. The trophy is on the wall in the cage, it unlocks when you leave the room, when you enter via the window it locks again.

Help!

W Hudson

RPGCrazied said:
Someone needs to make a riddler guide. :p

Need help again

You stand on the plate, and a green arrow lights up on the wall. I can't figure this out. Another one is a big area blocked off by a fence that is electrified. There is one on the way to the wonder tower. The trophy is on the wall in the cage, it unlocks when you leave the room, when you enter via the window it locks again.

Help!

Ok for the arrow one, think of the carnival game where you smash the hammer into the plate, you have to dive bomb (and I detonated shock wave) to get enough force to light up all the arrows. For the one on the way to Wonder Tower, go into the room, explosive gel the wall, then go outside on the ledge and grab the trophy with the Bat Claw.

Solo

AEREC said:
Nah...the combat system works great and is perfect for this type of game, they might as well just expand on what they already have for the third game and end it as a trilogy.

I can only speak for myself (obviously), but if they just do for Arkham ___ what they did for AC and just make an even bigger environment, even more riddles, even more sidequests, even more villains, etc., I will get tired of it. I think this franchise is now at a key junction where they can either fall into formula and make the same game with a fresh can of paint for the third time, or they can pre-emptively innovate and extend their viability much longer by evolving the franchise.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Gotta be Gotham. Next one just has to be a night that is totally normal for Batman that escalates into "Shit Just Got Real" territory halfway through and rips your balls off at the end.

IzzyF3

So much of the backstory is revealed in files you get after you get the Riddler trophies. I love how well the game is able to fit all of these villains in the game, but I'd rather it not be so hard to understand why everybody is in Arkham City. Why Batman himself is here, etc. I found myself asking way too many questions during the course of the game. Almost made me wish there was a Metal Gear-like codec conversation system with Oracle, Alfred and Robin (cool to have Gordon, and Talia on the line too) to help flesh out the story and characters. Rocksteady clearly loves Metal Gear; they could've taken another page from that game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I cracked open the free Arkham Asylum that came with my Wal-Mart copy to check out the new challenge maps they added for the GOTY edition, only to find the AA GOTY edition's saves and achievements are totally separate from the original AA pressing.

funny-dog-pictures-at-first-i-was-like.jpg

...Wait, so I get to 100% it all over again? I'm okay with that!
Solo said:
I can only speak for myself (obviously), but if they just do for Arkham ___ what they did for AC and just make an even bigger environment, even more riddles, even more sidequests, even more villains, etc., I will get tired of it. I think this franchise is now at a key junction where they can either fall into formula and make the same game with a fresh can of paint for the third time, or they can pre-emptively innovate and extend their viability much longer by evolving the franchise.
I don't really see where you're coming from with this "the formula's getting stale" mumbo-jumbo; Structurally, AA is about as similar to AC as Metroid Prime is similar to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. They're two very different games.

Solo

Shig said:
I don't really see where you're coming from with this "the formula's getting stale" mumbo-jumbo; Structurally, AA is about as similar to AC as Metroid Prime is similar to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. They're two very different games.

I didn't say its getting stale. I said that if they do it a third time that it will begin to get stale. AA and AC are very much alike despite one being linear and one being open world.

I'm suggesting that they would be wise to make changes before it gets stale.

Zeliard

They went from linear to open world. That alone is pretty big. How many games make a transition like that? Relative to series like Assassin's Creed and Infamous, Batman is downright progressive. :p

mr. puppy said:
is there a good guide or tutorial or anything for doing all of the fist fighting? i'm terrible at it, and basically just run around pushing triangle. I don't do any takedowns because then I will miss a counter, and instead get hit out of whatever takedown i'm doing :(.
The most important one is to learn when an enemy is going to attack you. Don't wait for the blue exclamation points, learn to identify the type of aggressive running up or positioning they take when they are going to attack you. Once you do that, you can learn when not to do a strike (because somebody else might be running up behind you to punch you). This is particularly important when the counter icons go away because it becomes extremely difficult to watch all of the enemies in the fight for their attack animations, but it's much easier to just "know" which ones are going to attack you. Also, don't button mash, because you'll knock a target down and then kick the air where he was just standing and lose your combo.

Solo said:
I better not find you posting rabid complements in the Uncharted 3 thread. You want to talk about tired, stale, samey, overdone, boring bullshit gameplay, you will find no better example than the Uncharted series.

Solo

Zeliard said:
They went from linear to open world. That alone is pretty big. How many games make a transition like that? Relative to series like Assassin's Creed and Infamous, Batman is downright progressive. :p

Sure, but at the end of the day both games are composed of the same elements: beat up baddies, progress plot, beat more baddies, upgrade gadgets, collectathon, fight bosses, challenge rooms. Lather, rinse, repeat. The only difference is that AC's open world allows the player to do them in whatever order they like.

cackhyena

Solo said:
I didn't say its getting stale. I said that if they do it a third time that it will begin to get stale. AA and AC are very much alike despite one being linear and one being open world.

I definitely think some changes are in store, but I'm not sure the structure is where it needs it, if that's what you're implying. I'm fine with even more area to explore while still having linear areas specially tailored for boss events to happen. It just works, and does away with the problem that most open world games have, which is pacing.

I'll eat up whatever they throw at us next. This game was soooo good. And I wouldn't even call myself a Batman fan, really.

Miggytronz

Solo said:

the game mechanics are great. 3rd installment give us GOTHAM in its glory and a even sicker grittier story.

death of batman or something nuts

Solo

I don't want anyone to have the impression that I am bagging on AC - I'm not. Yes, I slightly prefer AA, but both games are excellent (for the record, AC is my current #2 GOTY). My "advice"/criticisms are simply there because I don't want to see a great dev like Rocksteady lose their way.

I almost think their next game should be something that isn't Batman.

neorej said:
I only just found out... the PS3-version apparently supports custom soundtracks!

Tonight, I shall solve Riddles with Chris Rea's 'Driving Home For Christmas' in the background!

That would be an excellent choice.

PLOT QUESTION regarding the very end of the game, so MAJOR SPOILERS

How come Joker didn't take the antidote while he had it? I like that Clayface was pretending to be a healthy Joker but I don't understand why that was happening since Joker had the antidote WAY before that final battle.

Also, I liked how the painting in the very opening scene of the game mirrored Batman carrying Joker. Very nice touch.

Also, if I learned anything from this game's characters, it's that Catwoman is a 'bitch'... and Poison Ivy and Harley too. Actually, I don't remember a time where a woman was referenced as anything but. By the end, I was kinda expecting Batman to call Oracle that. Heh.

Oh, and another question about my current predicament:

I went to the top of Wonder Tower(?) after the game ended. It's all blown up now because of the Hugo Strange bit and I can't take the elevator back down. How do I get back down to the city? Floating down isn't an option. It's not that seamless of an environment!

Doomrider

thecouncil said:
Oh, and another question about my current predicament:

I went to the top of Wonder Tower(?) after the game ended. It's all blown up now because of the Hugo Strange bit and I can't take the elevator back down. How do I get back down to the city? Floating down isn't an option. It's not that seamless of an environment!

You can take the elevator back down (you have to), you just need to use the sequencer again.

Luigi87

thecouncil said:
PLOT QUESTION regarding the very end of the game, so MAJOR SPOILERS

How come Joker didn't take the antidote while he had it? I like that Clayface was pretending to be a healthy Joker but I don't understand why that was happening since Joker had the antidote WAY before that final battle.

Also, I liked how the painting in the very opening scene of the game mirrored Batman carrying Joker. Very nice touch.

The reason he didn't
is that Joker never got the antidote from Harley. When you find Harley tied up on your way to Joker (before Protocol 10 is in effect), that was Talia who did so, and she claimed the antidote before it was delivered.

cackhyena

LiK said:
overprotective. he's the same in the comics and animated series.
I guess I kinda remember that from the animated series, but it seems worse than overprotective. Robin's all hey bro with a twinge of "don't wanna upset you" in his voice. Bats is like "go away jr. you aren't wanted".

Zeliard

I know some have misgivings about the open world but I really hope they return to it. I have a natural affinity for open world games due to the player freedom given, and I think Arkham City is already a cut above other similar games, like the Assassin's Creed and Infamous serious (mainly since Arkham City has much better combat).

Quite impressive considering it's Rocksteady's first attempt at an open world game, and they also took a previously corridor-driven game to do it. Look at the jump Ubisoft made from Assassin's Creed 1 --> 2 and imagine the steps Rocksteady could take to improve on Arkham City's basic gameplay structure, as well as the storytelling.

All of the complaints about having too much to do and being overwhelmed with choice are alien to me. As far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as having "too much choice" in a video game. The opposite issue is vastly more prevalent and significant. There can be too many lame things to do, certainly, but I don't think that's the case here at all.

I agree with others that the story is a bit less focused and interesting but I also don't think that's an issue intrinsic to open worlds. Look at Fallout: New Vegas, for example. I honestly didn't think the core storyline in AA was really anything to write home about, anyway. The great voice actors and some fun exchanges of dialogue sold it, much like this time around.

I think one of the issues in AC is that since the rogues gallery and cast in general are so much wider, things can feel a bit less cohesive. In the next Batman game they should be able to tidy things up nicely. Plus the boss fights are already much better in both concept and execution, which to me has impact on the story as well.

LiK

cackhyena said:
I guess I kinda remember that from the animated series, but it seems worse than overprotective. Robin's all hey bro with a twinge of "don't wanna upset you" in his voice. Bats is like "go away jr. you aren't wanted".

yea, but you know Batman, he's like that when he's hot on the heels of something. i think i'm a lil more annoyed at Alfred being such a snarky asshole to Batman instead. maybe it's the voice actor.

cackhyena

LiK said:
yea, but you know Batman, he's like that when he's hot on the heels of something. i think i'm a lil more annoyed at Alfred being such a snarky asshole to Batman instead. maybe it's the voice actor.
That too. I noticed that from the get go. I needed more comforting words, Alfred, you prick.

Luigi87 said:
The reason he didn't
is that Joker never got the antidote from Harley. When you find Harley tied up on your way to Joker (before Protocol 10 is in effect), that was Talia who did so, and she claimed the antidote before it was delivered.

ah, i see. i watched the end again on youtube and
missed that 'talia had the antidote the whole time' part. alright. pretty cool stuff.

Doomrider said:
You can take the elevator back down (you have to), you just need to use the sequencer again.

oh. i thought i tried that, but I'll try again. maybe it was just a glitch. if it was, that would be the second time there was a glitch regarding the sequencer for me. yeesh.

Nori Chan

That conversation with Alfred after:
cat woman saves batman. Gotham needs batman. You must realize you need to sacrifice 1 person to save 1000

Was fucking amazing. Had chills go down my spine.

Miggytronz

Noriega said:
cat woman saves batman. Gotham needs batman. You must realize you need to sacrifice 1 person to save 1000

I like how Alfred put
Bruce in his place.

JMizzlin

Yenrot said:
How do I get into the
GCPD
to reach
Mr Freeze?
I can't find a way in.

If you mean because the front door is
frozen
then head
around the back near the water and land on a floating platform, then grapnel up to the rear entrance.

How do I get further into the Steel Mill with Catwoman? I'm at the place where water is running under a door now and I have no idea how to get through there.

mr. puppy

Banned
want to know how much I have left in the game so I can start doing sidequests:

I just did the tower and fell off the thing with Ra's, who is not dead on the gates and I'm supposed to go after joker. Is that the last quest, or is there still more time after that to do sidequests?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiK said:

Batman deserved to be snarked at.

Grisby

Noriega said:

One of my favorite parts of the game. Personally I wanted to go get
Talia and save her but Alfred wasn't having it.

mr. puppy said:
want to know how much I have left in the game so I can start doing sidequests:

I just did the tower and fell off the thing with Ra's, who is not dead on the gates and I'm supposed to go after joker. Is that the last quest, or is there still more time after that to do sidequests?

yeah, but
even after the game ends and credits roll, you get to do sidequests
. thats where im at right now.
post-game sidequest party

Top Bottom