• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Grisby

Damn, had my first real glitch I guess you could say. Was doing riddler stuff and went to select catwoman. The scene played but when the camera pulled back to her the game screen went black. Could hear some noise but nothing else.

Loaded it up and it worked fine but damn, takes you out of the mood when stuff like this happens.

LiK

I only hit one glitch. When i returned to the Steel Mill to do Riddler stuff, the fenced gate I opened was suddenly closed. It prevented me from getting a trophy that required my Batarang to travel through it. I kinda freaked but left through the exit and then returned and the gate was opened again. That would've been devastating if the gate stayed closed.

ironcreed

Banned
Just played for around four hours, and wow, this game is addictive as hell and is just a joy to play. While I enjoyed Arkham Asylum, I immediately liked this game better because of the open environment and the atmosphere in general. Gliding around the city with new things constantly being thrown at you and leveling up feels amazing. In fact, in some ways I kind of feel like I am playing a Batman action RPG of sorts. They truly took a winning formula and took it to the next level.

Could not imagine not being able to play the Catwoman segments either, so I am glad I got it just for buying the game and did not have to spend any extra to get it. The game is so worth buying anyway, so it is not an issue for me. Playing as her gives a perfect change of pace and is also an absolute pleasure to play. As the animations and free flow combat for both her and Batman are just so incredibly well done. One of the best games this year with ease.

Agent_J

i'm FORCING myself to like this. AA was just leaps and bounds better. i'm not a fan of open world environments, since it's just usually a lot of traveling, a lot of filler, and a lot of getting lost. the first game was so much more of a tighter experience. the combat (even though it's almost the same) feels clunkier this time around. plus, they just threw you into the game with no tutorial on how to play. which means i have to explain EVERYTHING to my friends, which lowers my enjoyment :(

graphics are amazing, and gliding around is fun enough. it just feels like it's too much of the same. not that it's bad, per se, just that it's really "arkham asylum + more space". villians lack that "oomph" they had in the first one, and the catwoman segments were nice, but didn't really change the formula. the side missions already seem like a tedious go here now go here now go here quest, over and over. fuck you ringing phone!

but i'm only 7% in so maybe my opinion will change :)

Bukana

arrestedbatman.png

Always imagines them whey they say it , lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I know how people looooooooooove Ctrl-Alt-Del, so I'll just leave this here:

Ctrl-Alt-Del's author said:
Yeah, I'm done with Arkham City. This buggy, boring game can sit in the drawer. What a disappointment.

Arkham City has worn out my patience.

My largest gripes are technical, and may only be prevalent in hard mode (I haven't played on normal to compare). At first I just thought I'd forgotten all of the combat timing I'd learned in Akrham Asylum, and just needed some practice to get the hang of it again. At this point though, after a few hours spent just on combat sequences, fights aren't getting much easier, and I'm starting to recognize the differences between what is my fault (miscalculating an enemy's movements, not timing the counter right), and what is the game just fucking me over with some sloppy mechanics.

To get into specifics, Arkham City will regularly send two attackers rushing in at the same time, and show you the lightning bolts over their head simultaneously. This is the queue for you to perform a cool "double" counter attack. When it works, it's awesome to watch, and it takes down two baddies. However I'm noticing it not work just as often, and it's a result of animation problems. If both enemies come in at the same time, but for some reason (shifting or sliding due to coming in contact with another enemy, or a change in the location of Batman/Catwoman in relation to the bad guy) one of the enemy's attack animation gets delayed, then your double counter turns into a single counter. Except the second enemy still continues his attack, a split second later.

So you'll be locked in a counter animation taking one enemy down, completely helpless to avoid or block the second enemy. The second enemy makes contact, which breaks you out of the counter with the first enemy, who then turns and punches you himself. You get hit twice even though you successfully countered.

And of course, there's the issue that some of the attack animations (for Catwoman especially with her flips and whatnot) are so lengthy that an enemy will charge at you in the middle of one, and you can't break out of it execute the counter and thus get hit.

It certainly doesn't happen every time, and on easy or normal mode, it's probably not even a big deal...it breaks your streak, whatever. You just go on pounding bad guys. But in hard mode you take so much damage from enemy attacks, and the enemies take such a beating that you really can't afford to just be giving up free hits. Tack on the fact that Arkham City's checkpoints are so spaced out, sometimes with 2-3 consecutive brawls inbetween them, and you could be facing a lot of replaying fights if you have a string of bad luck in regards to animation glitches. And after the sixth time its the cause of having to start over at a checkpoint, what might otherwise be an "oh well, shit happens" kind of a thing starts to become incredibly frustrating.

I'm all for difficulty in games, and I'll happily smash my face into the brick wall of a hard mode for hours trying to overcome a challenge, as long as it feels like my skill level the only thing standing in the way of victory. When it starts feeling like the game is throwing shenanigans at me that I have no way to counter or avoid, then it stops being fun.

Yeah, I could probably just play the game on normal mode, and walk through these fights. Maybe that's what needs to happen. But I remember Arkham Asylum on normal, and it was a bit of a joke, difficulty-wise. Fantastic game, great story, etc, but I don't think anyone would call it a challenging on normal. I think it's disappointing that I now have to choose between playing the game without a challenge, or fighting a frustrating system that doesn't seem like it was designed/tweaked to be played on the higher difficulty setting they included with the game.

I don't know about you guys, but I had no problems with multiple counters (be it 2 or 3) at all. Ever.

slick7rick said:
i'm FORCING myself to like this. AA was just leaps and bounds better. i'm not a fan of open world environments, since it's just usually a lot of traveling, a lot of filler, and a lot of getting lost. the first game was so much more of a tighter experience. the combat (even though it's almost the same) feels clunkier this time around. plus, they just threw you into the game with no tutorial on how to play. which means i have to explain EVERYTHING to my friends, which lowers my enjoyment :(

graphics are amazing, and gliding around is fun enough. it just feels like it's too much of the same. not that it's bad, per se, just that it's really "arkham asylum + more space". villians lack that "oomph" they had in the first one, and the catwoman segments were nice, but didn't really change the formula. the side missions already seem like a tedious go here now go here now go here quest, over and over. fuck you ringing phone!

but i'm only 7% in so maybe my opinion will change :)
Uhh...Yeah you should finish the game. There are some valid criticisms but the amount of people, for this game in particular, that run in this thread when they are fairly early on in the game and complain that AA is better are just mind boggling and half of their complaints gets resolved by the end of the game or with sidequests anyway. You can read my posts throughout this thread and I've got some issues with the main story and everything. I still prefer AA over AC but it's fairly annoying for people who aren't even that far into the game to come in complaining.

The sidequests are awesome btw. I've been working on that alot lately and the game definetly has grown on me a lot more doing all these sidequests postgame.

I don't know about you guys, but I had no problems with multiple counters (be it 2 or 3) at all. Ever.
I've had a few issues with counters but I believe they all occured because I hit the X button one too many times. Most of the time I don't have issues with it but there have been a few rare instances where I thought I should've countered easily but I didnt. Like I said it might have been me inputting something that made me unable to counter though.

Raxus

I finally got Perfect Knight Day 2. Now I no longer have to deal with the thugs never ending conversations.

What the *spoiler* How can that be? x 1 million.

hamchan

BY2K said:

That's because some people aren't realizing you have to press the counter button multiple times. I've never had a problem with countering at any time, and could always counter during normal attack animations except for obvious moments like when doing a ground takedown. Funny he wrote that all up blaming the technical issues in the game when it's all his own fault.

Vire

BY2K said:

Please don't post anything CTRL+ALT+DELETE related on GAF ever again.

Thanks.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
BY2K said:

So he didn't know about pressing Y per counter needed, and he claims its a bug.

What a moron.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Vire said:
I guess you aren't familiar with SomethingAwful and what they dug up about the CAD author.

If you mean the plagiarism thing, I know about it, though it might be something else. And I'd like to know.

BY2K said:

That's cause he sucks.

Edit:

Since I'm buying the Skins pack in December anyways, I have a Dark Knight Returns/Fatman skin up for grabs if anyone wants it.

First person to post a photo of Christian Bale gets it. Must be from a Batman film. Something... funny.

overcast

Vire said:
Well that was quick.

Bummer looks like someone else took it.

Thanks though.
What a douche, yet expected move.

How much of a challenge should I be expecting for NG+, over halfway done with Riddler so I'm going to brace myself.

overcast

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That's cause he sucks.

Edit:

Since I'm buying the Skins pack in December anyways, I have a Dark Knight Returns/Fatman skin up for grabs if anyone wants it.

First person to post a photo of Christian Bale gets it. Must be from a Batman film. Something... funny.
media_httpassetsoupioasset034614842e92gif_wfesscFIGGjEbnv.gif

Edit: Must be from a Batman film, I lose :[

Vire

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
That's cause he sucks.

Edit:

funny-captions-christian-bale-tom-hardy-batman-snow.jpg

celebrity-pictures-bale-freeman-god-batman.jpg

Google images weeee.

iavi

cackhyena said:
That too. I noticed that from the get go. I needed more comforting words, Alfred, you prick.

On that note, where the hell is Oracle? Not hearing her over the com when I started the game up hurt a little bit. She was such an awesome combuddy during AA.

Vire

Miri said:
On that note, where the hell is Oracle? Not hearing her over the com when I started the game up hurt a little bit. She was such an awesome combuddy during AA.
She's in the game. :)

You just get a mix of Alfred and her this time around.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Sorry bro :( But I did laugh :)

Ha, the second image is great. I'm PMing it you.

Haha, serves my luck that's it PS3 version. That was super generous of you though.

(I only have 360. Will probably get PC in the future.)

KEEP THE CONTEST ROLLING.

Still loving the game. I do wish they would patch up one thing though. Ground takedowns.... 9/10 times I end up punching them in the balls or giving them a fist right up their butts. It kind of break the "I'm Batman!" immersion when I dramatically fist someone in slowmotion. A patch would be nice.

Another random thought-- Nolan North's thug is really satisfying to terrify. "Leave me alone Batman! .... [whimper]Please.[/please]"

Pretty much all I have to do is finish up with Catwoman and find all the Tyger Eye places and take down the cameras. Anyone know where all the Tyger Eye machines are? I've only managed to find the one in the Bowery, and I'm having a tough time finding the rest.

Edit: Just found the Industrial Park one.

Vire said:
She's in the game. :)

You just get a mix of Alfred and her this time around.

Haha, serves my luck that's it PS3 version. That was super generous of you though.

(I only have 360. Will probably get PC in the future.)

KEEP THE CONTEST ROLLING.

In that case... PS3 OWNERS, POST YOUR HILARIOUS CHRISTIAN BALE-BATMAN IMAGES!

Pimpbaa

Being able to run around Arkham City after you beat the game with Batman and Catwoman is great and all, but you'd think they would change into some new suits. Running around all beat up seems stupid since they would obviously would have time to change. Hated that about the first game too (when finishing up the riddler stuff).

Vire

Pimpbaa said:
Being able to run around Arkham City after you beat the game with Batman and Catwoman is great and all, but you'd think they would change into some new suits. Running around all beat up seems stupid since they would obviously would have time to change. Hated that about the first game too (when finishing up the riddler stuff).
Time to change? When?

The story takes place in one night and Batman certainly has more pressing things on his mind than to look pretty.

I personally think it's one of the nicer touches in the game showing how crazy the night went as time goes on.

Einbroch

Banned
Game really ramps up late in the game, but it ramps up too late. Not going to spoil anything, but you feel like you should be in a HUGE HURRY all game but Batman never gets rattled. That's cool and all that he's a total badass, but it never felt like he took the situation seriously, and thus I could never take it seriously.

Finished, enjoyed, sent back to GameFly.

Pimpbaa

Vire said:
Time to change? When?

The story takes place in one night and Batman certainly has more pressing things on his mind than to look pretty.

I personally think it's one of the nicer touches in the game showing how crazy the night went as time goes on.

After the end of the game. I'm sure Alfred would gladly send him a new suit before he finishes up things there. And i'm sure Catwoman would want to change also before scouring the city to
find her loot

Vire

Einbroch said:
Game really ramps up late in the game, but it ramps up too late. Not going to spoil anything, but you feel like you should be in a HUGE HURRY all game but Batman never gets rattled. That's cool and all that he's a total badass, but it never felt like he took the situation seriously, and thus I could never take it seriously.

Finished, enjoyed, sent back to GameFly.
Batman getting rattled would be totally out of character.

Pimpbaa said:
After the end of the game. I'm sure Alfred would gladly send him a new suit before he finishes up things there. And i'm sure Catwoman would want to change also before scouring the city to
find her loot

There's hostages still to save man. :p

He got a new suit at the beginning of the game. Those things are expensive haha.

Einbroch

Banned
Vire said:
Batman getting rattled would be totally out of character.
But the fact that he doesn't get rattled makes him not relatable. Maybe I expected him to be more human and not so superhero-y.

Especially in a game where you actually control the character and in a way put yourself in his place.

Bukana

Does anyone have a costume code for Batman on the PS3 version !?
I would really appreciate it if anyone let me use it, I really want a different costume.

vixlar

What an ending!!!
I cried loud out!!!

And the "bonus" in the credits... totally unexpected...

I think they did it AA in reverse: The beginning is a little stall, but the final third of the game is glorious.

The bosses are better than AA, not the best bosses in universe, but at least they are interesting. I was expecting more Two Face though.

I can't say which game is better. The only thing I can say is that AA had a true balance between game and movie, AC feels more like a videogame.

Top Bottom