• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Solo

SykoTech said:
So, no spoilers or anything, but what's the general opinion on the boss fights. Meh like the original? A lot better? Worse (don't know if that's possible)?

I think they are about the same, maybe slightly better. But there is nothing that matches the Scarecrow stuff.

Honestly the boss fights aren't the strongsuit of either game for me.

Solo said:
I think they are about the same, maybe slightly better. But there is nothing that matches the Scarecrow stuff.

Honestly the boss fights aren't the strongsuit of either game for me.
I never considered the Scarecrow segments to be boss fights, so I think this game's boss fights are head and shoulders better (even if the Mr. Freeze one is the only truly excellent one, at least they aren't samey like AA's constant Titan battles).

Most of them are pretty normal/typical boss battles though and not up to the quality of the rest of the game; kinda like the Poison Ivy battle from the first game.

I do really hope Scarecrow shows up in some of the post-release campaign DLC that's been rumored.

klier

Damn I somehow thought it came out October 28.....weird. Going to the store in 15 minutes to buy it!

Awesome, now I can finish it before Uncharted 3 arrives! Buying it on 360 though for the sake of group chats....

klier

SykoTech said:
So, no spoilers or anything, but what's the general opinion on the boss fights. Meh like the original? A lot better? Worse (don't know if that's possible)?

Meh like the original according to the IGN review I just read....

RPGCrazied said:
http://thumb-culture.com/39791/arkham-city-episodic-content-extend-story/

The voice of Batman Kevin Conroy has spilled the beans about ongoing DLC for Arkham City during an interview with ComicBooked.com. The voice actor as well as confirmed that there will be ongoing story based DLC after the main game goes to retail.

“The gaming now is a big, new thing. The thing about Arkham City is that it’s going to be an ongoing game. You’re going to be able to download future episodes of it, so it’s going to be going on for quite a while. I’ve been recording it for a while. So that will continue.”

Grisby

SykoTech said:
:(

AA was the perfect length too.

A lot better.

About 70% through the main story and loving every minute of it. Every time I see a security camera at work or a random group of balloons I have the urge to hurl batarangs.

Can you New Game+ this as many times as you want? I accidentally missed the window of opportunity for encountering Killer Croc both times.

Finished the game last night, now I'm going to complete a few side-missions, finish off the remaining Riddler trophies and go onto NG+. Overall, I loved it, but as amazing as the game is, by increasing the scope I feel that Rocksteady sacrificed a part of what made Arkham Asylum such a focused action adventure game.

I think the open world is a double edged sword - on one hand, it allows for a much more free experience and for a whole lot more for the player to see and do, but on the other hand it loses some of the focus and intensity that made the first game such an enjoyable experience. Also, the pacing in Arkham Asylum was a steady build, whereas with Arkham City it starts at a high intensity and tries to keep that intensity going over the course of the entire campaign and, ultimately, doesn't succeed. I do love how rich and deep the world is with DC lore, and I got a real sense of wanting to explore every street, collect every trophy and complete every side mission, which at times seems at odds with the story as the urgency and pressure of the situation rises. It doesn't seem right hunting down Riddler trophies while Batman's fighting for his life.

Regardless of any misgivings, Arkham City is still a wonderfully satisfying experience. The look and feel of the place is spot on, and every building and rooftop practically oozes with the iconic Batman style and history, plus, the general mechanics of playing as Batman have been tightened, expanded and refined from the original to such a degree that, while often overwhelming in it's scope, the options afforded the player are remarkable and Rocksteady have succeeded in creating not only a combat system that beats the competition and shows them exactly how it should be done, but they have also succeeded in creating a large and engrossing open world that begs to be explored and is lovingly peppered with DC lore and more content than you'll find in most of the big budget titles released this season. For me, it's going to be difficult for any game, and certainly any other 3rd person action adventure, to top Arkham City in the foreseeable future.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I wouldn't go as far to say the boss fights are the best of any game of this type or anything crazy like that, but for the most part, they are all distinctly different and quite a few fairly challenging. AA had a lot of issues with making every boss fight something different and this game certainly doesn't have that problem.

As for length, if you're just playing through the main story, yea, it's shorter, but the side missions (which tie into the main story in secondary, but totally meaningful ways) add up to about the same length, maybe longer if you wanna do all the Riddler stuff.

overcast

RPGCrazied said:
The boss fights are amazing in this game.

Specially against
Clayface and Mr. Freeze.
I did love both of those fights. I also loved
The Ra's fight. If not just for the visual beauty. I also enjoyed Joker, Solomon Grundy was the weakest.

Overall the boss fights are much better than in AA. Besides Scarecrow, none of them felt very distinct.

I'd just like to point out that anyone who stays unconscious for more than a couple of minutes (in a knocked-out rather than sleeping state) will suffer permanent brain damage or even death. Batman is a mass murderer.

bubnbob

Banned
Lakitu said:
Question about side-quests after completing the main game. Will they randomly appear even though you've completed the main story? Because I've noticed a trend where
quests appear after you do a story mission.

Also,
who plans to visit Calendar Man on Halloween? :)

I already altered my Xbox calendar and visited all the other dates, saving Halloween for last so I can get my "legit timestamp" on my achievement. :d

LiK

Anabuhabkuss said:
GAF, about to lose it over this reverse batarang challenge. I've held RB , it hits the guy, he falls down dizzy. What am I doing wrong.

Also, in post game, is there any place I can go to counter three projectiles?

These are the only two trophies I have left!
The guys in Bowery will often lift stuff to toss at you. I recommend the rear entrance of Museum.

Ilúvatar

Anabuhabkuss said:
GAF, about to lose it over this reverse batarang challenge. I've held RB , it hits the guy, he falls down dizzy. What am I doing wrong.

Also, in post game, is there any place I can go to counter three projectiles?

These are the only two trophies I have left!

Just go anywhere where there are boxes/exploding barrels for the grunts to chuck at you

Dyno

badcrumble said:
I'd just like to point out that anyone who stays unconscious for more than a couple of minutes (in a knocked-out rather than sleeping state) will suffer permanent brain damage or even death. Batman is a mass murderer.

Glide Kick looks like something that would make a man's head explode.

LiK

DodgeAnon said:
Gonna' start trying to find all the riddler trophies now. Let's see how long this takes.
It took me as long as the main game + sidemissions. It's like a game into itself.

GQman2121

Banned
Magic Mushroom said:
Yeah, I'll have that. Have to assume this will come with additional trophies/achievements, right?

Also, custom soundtracks on the PS3 are fucking awesome. Why don't more games do this? The only thing that could make it better is if they patched in a custom photo mode from the XMB. The game looks stunning in certain places and being able to capture images to save to the HD would be fun.

LiK said:
Well yea, wanted to reiterate that. ^^

Prolly not alive when I knock them off a building tho lol
Batman doesn't kill. He will just mortally wound you, break all your bones in your body, send you into a coma, drop you head first off a two story building which somehow doesn't kill them, etc.

LiK

Lord_Byron28 said:
Batman doesn't kill. He will just mortally wound you, break all your bones in your body, send you into a coma, drop you head first off a two story building which somehow doesn't kill them, etc.
Yes, I know that. It's common knowledge at this point. It's just amusing when I knock a guy off the top of a building and he's supposed to have survived.

dralla

I went back and finished AA again after beating AC. AA>AC for me due to superior level design, better villains, better story. The predator rooms in AC were lacking compared to the ones in AA, and I prefer the general structure of AA to AC. The side missions in AC aren't that great aside from a few and it's jam packed with too much Riddler stuff. AC has the edge in combat, boss fights [which still range from bad to mediocre], writing and voice acting, but suffers from too many villans which are under developed and completely pointless. I think Joker, Strange, Penguin and Freeze would've been enough for the main story arc, all the others either detract from the story
League of Shadows
or are irrelevant
two-face
. Catwoman is fun play as but her story never ties into anything, it's just..there.

Rich!

I don't know if anyone's made this comparison yet, but anyway:

That
ra's al ghul fight
TOTALLY felt like you were in some weird ass Zelda game fighting Ganondorf. Right in the Gerudo Desert, no less.

cackhyena said:
So new game plus has no counter signal, right? If so, sounds too brutal.

I thought that too, but really, you become so aware that countering without the signals becomes second nature. Only thing that presents more of a real challenge imo, is the new enemy configurations. But it's a nice change to how the enemies are in normal, which are pretty easy tbf.

.GqueB.

Banned
LiK said:
Yup, same as Hard mode in AA. You have to pay attention way more.
I hate the counter signal. I played without it in AA and did fine. In this game I get hit more because I actually find them MORE distracting.

Also, is it normal to still have words plastered across the screen at all times? Im hours into the game and its still giving me instructions for doing critical strikes. Tutorial is off and everything. Is my game glitching or is this paragraph seriously suppose to be on screen?

cackhyena

The English Conquistador said:
I thought that too, but really, you become so aware that countering without the signals becomes second nature. Only thing that presents more of a real challenge imo, is the new enemy configurations. But it's a nice change to how the enemies are in normal, which are pretty easy tbf.
Alright, cool. I'm still torn on whether I even want to play anymore right now. I still have tons of Riddler stuff and a few side missions to clear up, but I kinda want to go into NG + with a little of that left over to not feel like all I have is the story. Maybe I should wait for the DLC and have it feel even more fleshed out. Who knows how long I could be waiting for that, though.

LQX

This game as very annoying bug where it returns you to the main menu if you are downloading something and it completes while you are playing the game. No matter what it will end he game and you can not stop it.

Also I have had a few black start up screen where I then I have to reset my 360 as nothing happens. And the disk still spins though the game is installed.

MattyH

LQX said:
This game as very annoying bug where it returns you to the main menu if you are downloading something and it completes while you are playing the game. No matter what it will end he game and you can not stop it.

Also I have had a few black start up screen where I then I have to reset my 360 as nothing happens. And the disk still spins though the game is installed.

ive had the black start up screen a few times

LiK

MattyH said:
ive had the black start up screen a few times

happened to me twice now. from what people are saying in AC official forums, it might be because of disc error from the factory or something. it doesn't happen often enough for me to do exchange tho.

Solo

.GqueB. said:
Also, is it normal to still have words plastered across the screen at all times? Im hours into the game and its still giving me instructions for doing critical strikes.

I had a similar weird glitch when I got the grapnel upgrade. The "press X and then hold X after hitting R1" instruction was stuck on my screen for like 2 hours.

cackhyena

The only glitch I've had where it stayed on screen till I re loaded was the enemy grenade indicator. So much was going on at the time that went off, I can forgive that little hiccup. Otherwise it's been ridiculously smooth sailing for a semi open world game like this.

Top Bottom