• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Raw64life

Beat it the other day and I agree with other people about the ending being sudden and flat. Felt shorter than AA to me although I didn't do too many side missions before completing the story. I've done most of the side missions now but I don't know if I'm up to getting all 440 trophies. It was fun grappling around the city for the most part but now that I'm just collecting trophies it's getting tedious. Compared to a game like Dark Souls, which had a ton of variety in it's levels, the endless stream of rusty broken down buildings in AC is just boring to me now.

Carbonox

Raw64life said:
Beat it the other day and I agree with other people about the ending being sudden and flat. Felt shorter than AA to me although I didn't do too many side missions before completing the story. I've done most of the side missions now but I don't know if I'm up to getting all 440 trophies. It was fun grappling around the city for the most part but now that I'm just collecting trophies it's getting tedious. Compared to a game like Dark Souls, which had a ton of variety in it's levels, the endless stream of rusty broken down buildings in AC is just boring to me now.

If the next game is set in Gotham City, the environmental variety would be off the charts. Night-time Gotham would look extremely sexy with the right lighting and everything. I can already picture some set pieces on specific backdrops. :lol Imagine a boss fight in a Gotham penthouse overlooking the city. *drool*

GQman2121

Banned
RoninChaos said:
Yeah. The ending made no sense considering who else was there.
Yeah, his priorities seemed a little off there, right? It definitely felt like there was more to the story.

Gotta love those credits though. I wonder who came up with that brilliant idea. Hamil killed it.

RoninChaos said:

Yes and no. I think it was clearly a deliberate choice. Batman realizes a bigger loss with the Joker, because without him (and other supervillains), Batman doesn't need to exist. Batman constantly turned down Talia's advances, but he never stopped chasing Joker. Batman doesn't need Talia's love, he needs Joker's chaos. Without it, there is no Batman.

Carbonox

TangoAlphaLima said:
Yes and no. I think it was clearly a deliberate choice. Batman realizes a bigger loss with the Joker, because without him (and other supervillains), Batman doesn't need to exist. Batman constantly turned down Talia's advances, but he never stopped chasing Joker. Batman doesn't need Talia's love, he needs Joker's chaos. Without it, there is no Batman.

Doesn't that make Bruce just as crazy really as the supervillains? There is plenty of crime to still use Batman against but it seems that he needs the supervillains to offer variety and a real thrill of the hunt as it were, rather than purse-snatchers. He wants the psychos like Joker to justify his alter-ego, to offer more than his repetitive life of money and girls.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on Batman can answer this as I don't really fully understand Bruce/Batman in the entirety.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on Batman can answer this as I don't really fully understand Bruce/Batman in the entirety.

The ending is kind of like the chapter in The Dark Knight Returns in which Batman actually kills the Joker. The difference here is that he doesn't actually kill him the Joker does himself in.

By having Batman bring the Joker out dead everyone now thinks the Batman is capable of killing someone. This could lead to many possibilities for the sequel... Are convicts scared of him now? Do the police put out a warrant for his arrest due to him being a murderer?

Carbonox

UltimaPooh said:
The ending is kind of like the chapter in The Dark Knight Returns in which Batman actually kills the Joker. The difference here is that he doesn't actually kill him the Joker does himself in.

By having Batman bring the Joker out dead everyone now thinks the Batman is capable of killing someone. This could lead to many possibilities for the sequel... Are convicts scared of him now? Do the police put out a warrant for his arrest due to him being a murderer?

I get the whole
Joker's death meaning, but was referring more to the purpose of Bruce/Batman in terms of keeping the likes of Joker alive and even going so far as to save them. Yes he needs them to justify the Batman but why the most psychotic? Does he like being a hunter and again, likes the thrill of the hunt?

As for your idea regarding a warrant on Batman, that would be an awesome idea for a sequel. Running around Gotham and not only do you have villains but also the police after you. Chase sequences in a Batman game? OH MY :O Make it happen Rocksteady!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
VindictiveGnome said:
Hush is awesome. Try The Killing Joke too.
Hush is so not awesome. Hush is Jeph Loeb trying to recapture the magic of Long Halloween and failing miserably.

badcrumble said:
Eh, Alan Moore himself has said that there's a lot he doesn't like about it.

The very end of it with Joker and Batman chatting before the cops show up is brilliant, of course, as is the origination of the idea that the Joker doesn't necessarily even know who he used to be, but the "one bad day" stuff is kinda weak and the over-the-top nastiness and sexual molestation stuff seems like puerile shock value for its own sake.

There are wonderful things about The Killing Joke, but it's more like wonderful pages and panels instead of the whole thing being great.
I agree there. I would recommend Long Halloween over Killing Joke as a seminal Batman work.

In fact, anyone who likes TDK's plot would love Long Halloween. There are entire scenes plucked straight out of Long Halloween.

RoninChaos said:

1)
Talia wasn't there after the fight. The League probably recovered her body in the confusion. The league can always find another lazarus pit to revive both Ra's and Talia, and Batman knows that.

2)
Joker means more to Batman's character than Talia does.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
I get the whole
Joker's death meaning, but was referring more to the purpose of Bruce/Batman in terms of keeping the likes of Joker alive and even going so far as to save them. Yes he needs them to justify the Batman but why the most psychotic? Does he like being a hunter and again, likes the thrill of the hunt?

It's not explained so well in the Arkham series but in Batman Begins/The Dark Knight this whole idea of Batman not killing and sparing his victims is brought up and explored. The Batman is supposed to represent the best ideals of society. As a society we should be above the individual's desire for death (the death penalty.) That's the difference between Batman and the League of Shadows Batman strives for the greater good while the other continues the status quo. It also has a lot to do with the death of his parents and living up to his father's ideals.

It's also not so much the Batman needs the Joker to justify him as the Joker needs the Batman to justify him. Without the Batman Joker would pretty much get away with whatever he wants and kill whoever he wants. With the Batman it presents the Joker with a challenge one he will indulge in short of killing the Batman.

augmental

Kung Fu Grip said:
Wow. I was just about to head to bestbuy and get this. How many days to ship? If its a week i'll probably still go to BB.

I have never ordered from Overstock so I am not sure how long the shipping is. I just saw this over at Slickdeals so I thought I would send out the FYI.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vire said:
Guys,

Use spoiler tags when talking about that ending...
My bad! Sorry about that. Forgot we're not in the spoiler thread.

Leunam

thetrin said:
Hush is so not awesome. Hush is Jeph Loeb trying to recapture the magic of Long Halloween and failing miserably.

At least the art is better. :/ I can't stand most of Tim Sale's work on Batman stuff.

thetrin

UltimaPooh said:
It's not explained so well in the Arkham series but in Batman Begins/The Dark Knight this whole idea of Batman not killing and sparing his victims is brought up and explored. The Batman is supposed to represent the best ideals of society. As a society we should be above the individual's desire for death (the death penalty.) That's the difference between Batman and the League of Shadows Batman strives for the greater good while the other continues the status quo. It also has a lot to do with the death of his parents and living up to his father's ideals.

It's also not so much the Batman needs the Joker to justify him as the Joker needs the Batman to justify him. Without the Batman Joker would pretty much get away with whatever he wants and kill whoever he wants. With the Batman it presents the Joker with a challenge and as such will continue to do so short of killing the Batman.
I think this is also really well explored when Jason Todd returns from the dead in the comics. The amount of anguish that he goes through sitting in the hotel room reading the news clips about the crimes that Joker commits over and over again, knowing that Batman is just part of a repeating dance.
Batman is striving for the greater good, but in a lot of ways, he's largely ineffectual.

Leunam said:
At least the art is better. :/ I can't stand most of Tim Sale's work on Batman stuff.
I'll agree with you there. Tim Sale is a bit overrated for my tastes. I like his use of lighting in a few instances, but whenever someone says "gee golly, Bruce is so good looking", his eyes are way too far apart, and his head is shaped like a diamond.

That said, Jeph Loeb did a far better "Who's Who of Batman" story with Long Halloween. Hush was kind of stupid.

I like Hush as a character a lot. His first introduction to the universe, though, was pretty god damn dumb.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Doesn't that make Bruce just as crazy really as the supervillains? There is plenty of crime to still use Batman against but it seems that he needs the supervillains to offer variety and a real thrill of the hunt as it were, rather than purse-snatchers. He wants the psychos like Joker to justify his alter-ego, to offer more than his repetitive life of money and girls.

There are a lot of deep themes within the Batman mythos. One such theme is that Batman's motivation isn't vengeance. He can't avenge his parents, because they were gunned down by some random thug (depending on the telling of that story for the various incarnations of Batman, of course). What Batman strives for then is a world in which he isn't needed. A world in which another young kid doesn't lose his parents to random violence.

However, in becoming the Batman, the persona of Bruce Wayne essentially ceased to exist. In many ways, Bruce is the costume that Batman wears, not vice versa. Batman doesn't know how to live a normal life, nor is it something he seeks (see: a loving relationship with Talia).

Anyway, I don't think it's variety or thrill that causes Batman's obsession with supervillians and Joker in particular. It's simply that Joker provides Batman meaning in life. Sure, he can always take on random bad guys. But Batman is larger than life, that's the persona he created. And Joker is the same, but the flip side of that coin. Ordinary bad guys don't need the Batman to stop them, but Joker does.

Obviously, there are many takes on Batman, as there are countless forms of media involving him. But this is my take on the issue. He carried the person out of that theater that he felt the greatest sense of loss in losing. Bruce Wayne may have carried Talia out, but Batman carried Joker.

Carbonox

UltimaPooh said:

It's also not so much the Batman needs the Joker to justify him as the Joker needs the Batman to justify him. Without the Batman Joker would pretty much get away with whatever he wants and kill whoever he wants. With the Batman it presents the Joker with a challenge one he will indulge in short of killing the Batman.

Thanks. So you don't think Batman's desire to still save these guys has anything to do with his own psyche? Like I said, he doesn't just stick with purse snatchers, he sticks with the biggest, baddest criminals. Or is that because he knows he's the only one who can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Joker, Two-Face, etc. whereas the police can deal with the petty crims?

Ah it's been answered above. Thanks :)

thetrin

TangoAlphaLima said:
There are a lot of deep themes within the Batman mythos. One such theme is that Batman's motivation isn't vengeance. He can't avenge his parents, because they were gunned down by some random thug (depending on the telling of that story for the various incarnations of Batman, of course). What Batman strives for then is a world in which he isn't needed. A world in which another young kid doesn't lose his parents to random violence.

However, in becoming the Batman, the persona of Bruce Wayne essentially ceased to exist. In many ways, Bruce is the costume that Batman wears, not vice versa. Batman doesn't know how to live a normal life, nor is it something he seeks (see: a loving relationship with Talia).

Anyway, I don't think it's variety or thrill that causes Batman's obsession with supervillians and Joker in particular. It's simply that Joker provides Batman meaning in life. Sure, he can always take on random bad guys. But Batman is larger than life, that's the persona he created. And Joker is the same, but the flip side of that coin. Ordinary bad guys don't need the Batman to stop them, but Joker does.

Obviously, there are many takes on Batman, as there are countless forms of media involving him. But this is my take on the issue. He carried the person out of that theater that he felt the greatest sense of loss in losing. Bruce Wayne may have carried Talia out, but Batman carried Joker.

You see a lot of this in Long Halloween, specifically in the many instances where Bruce stands Selina Kyle up several times, but has more than enough time for Catwoman. Unlike Peter Parker, he doesn't make it back just in time for dinner. He never makes it. Period. He always tries to make it up to her the next day. Why? Because He's not even attempting to balance his two lives. He's great at being Batman, and absolutely rotten at being Bruce.

What's interesting to see is how Batman is growing as a character in the recent comics. With his son Damian in the picture, Batman is starting to let go of the things that made him Batman, and moving forward as a character. He no longer mourns their death on their death anniversary. He now celebrates their wedding anniversary. He took the Zorro programme from the Opera the night his parents were killed, turned it into a paper boat, and sent it sailing down the sewer.

He's now focused on being a father (Which he is currently very bad at), and finding new reason to be Batman. He still wants to create that world where no boy has to lose their parents to violence, but he's no longer stuck in that emotional hole he was for so long.

In some strange way, Damian actually saved Bruce.

Sinthetic

Really was dull as I was facing the final boss, I thought it was some mid level guy before I got to the real boss. Nope, it was the end of the game.

thetrin

Also, it can't be my imagination that the second phase of the last boss was a reference to this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/SyssE.jpg

(don't click if you haven't finished the game)

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Thanks. So you don't think Batman's desire to still save these guys has anything to do with his own psyche? Like I said, he doesn't just stick with purse snatchers, he sticks with the biggest, baddest criminals. Or is that because he knows he's the only one who can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Joker, Two-Face, etc. whereas the police can deal with the petty crims?

Ah it's been answered above. Thanks :)

Yeah pretty much. Begins/The Dark Knight also brings up the idea of Escalation. Gordon talks about how the cops were using semi-automatics, so the bad guys buy automatics, the cops start wearing kevlar, so the bad guys get armor piercing rounds. Once Batman takes down a slightly bigger bad guy an even bigger one takes his place until all Batman has time for is super villains. Like trin said it's an endless dance for Batman. He helped create these individuals but at the same time if he quits those individuals will win and Gotham will be their playground.

TangoAlphaLima said:

I disagree, for a number of reasons.
The joker doesn't define Batman, and Batman is too smart of a character to some how think that his existence is based around a group of villains. He doesn't have a self esteem issue. Batman, as a concept, needs to exist because there will always be evil in the world and it will always need some one to stop it.

Further, he turned down Talia's advances because Talia wants him to take her Father's place and wipe out civilization. He never turned Talia down because he didn't want her. They have a kid together! It's that her goals and his are completely different, and they will always be at odds with one another because of it.

Him carrying out Joker and not Talia was RIDICULOUS because it goes against what the character's motivations and feelings are, on top of the behavior Batman displayed in the game. Batman is a character who, at his core, is motivated by not wanting any one else to die. Yet in the game they made ALFRED, of all people, become Batman's baby sitter, wave his finger in Batman's face and say "No, you can't leave all those inmates who are having missiles fired at them to die just to go after Talia and Joker". He basically told Batman to stay because he wouldn't send in the Batwing and effectively put Batman on Time Out and told him to do his job and not let any one die. The same job he decided he was going to do for the rest of his life, the minute he was staring at his parents lying on the ground in their own blood.

Alfred. Put. Batman. On. Time. Out.

That REALLY pulled me out of the game. Batman is a driven individual, but he isn't stupid. The idea that he'd chase after the Joker and Talia while a section of his city, even if it was full of criminals, was being bombarded by military grade weaponry makes NO sense.

Batman could have called in Robin, Nightwing, hell, fucking Superman, Huntress, Spoiler, Azrael, or any of the allies he has to help deal with his situations and kept things on an even keel.

So the same story that ended with Batman saying 'After everything you've done, I would have saved you" had a part in it where Batman had NO issue with leaving EVERY ONE ELSE TO DIE while he chased another villain.

WTF.

That was TERRIBLE writing. Either they totally fucked up that whole moment, or it was played completely wrong from the script that Dini turned in. Batman loves Talia in some weird way, and if they tried to frame it like "I have to go after her, but the city is being blown apart..." it would have been better. To have such a pivotal moment in the store handled that way was fucking ridiculous. It went against the logic of the character that people have known for years.

I'm a huge Batman fan. He's been my favorite super hero since I was a kid and Paul Dini has done amazing things with the character. I don't know who else touched the script on this one though. Jesus.

UltimaPooh said:

That didn't happen in the Dark Knight Returns.
Joker snapped his own neck. He even says "After all this time, you don't have the guts to do it". The Joker died knowing that Batman would get blamed for killing him, even though Batman didn't do it. That's EXACTLY why the Joker snapped his own neck.

Daft_Cat

RoninChaos said:
various complaints.

It doesn't go against the logic of the character. Batman has reacted similarly to situations like that before. He's usually punished severely for it. Part of what makes Batman so interesting is the (very human) struggle he sometimes has against his own rigid morality (which is what separates him from vigilantes).

I.E The Dark Knight, Batman tries to save Rachel over Dent (who the future of Gotham depends on). He loses Rachel as a result

Just my 2 cents. Maybe your interpretation of the character is more informed. I thought Arkham City's end was actually pretty great. Felt like Dini summing up the themes he'd been working with throughout his whole career.

RoninChaos said:
I'm a huge Batman fan. He's been my favorite super hero since I was a kid and Paul Dini has done amazing things with the character. I don't know who else touched the script on this one though. Jesus.

In the Dark Knight he goes after Rachel instead of Harvey Dent. If he had went for Dent he would be saving Gotham but instead he went for Rachel someone Bruce desires. So it's not a lapse of character. Batman just had a lapse of judgement. Batman isn't supposed to have limitations or temptations but Bruce does and this causes Batman not to always be aligned with his ideals.

Secret_Riddle said:
It doesn't go against the logic of the character. Batman has reacted similarly to situations like that before. He's usually punished severely for it. Part of what makes Batman so interesting is the (very human) struggle he sometimes has against his own rigid morality (which is what separates him from vigilantes).

I.E The Dark Knight, Batman tries to save Rachel over Dent (who the future of Gotham depends on). He loses Rachel as a result

Just my 2 cents. Maybe your interpretation of the character is more informed. I thought Arkham City's end was actually pretty great. Felt like Dini summing up the themes he'd been working with throughout his whole career.
This isn't that version of the character.
And even if we were to use that argument, are you telling me you think Batman would chase a chick who wants to fuck him while her and her father blow up the world, and the joker, while a group of helicopters was blowing up a chunk of his city with missiles? REALLY?

I'm sorry, but that's stupid. Going after Rachel was a choice he made about a woman he's loved since he was a kid. That's not even remotely what he feels for Talia, and especially not the Joker. Further, he looked at Dent as a person who could replace him and he could stop being Batman. And he sent Gordon to grab Dent as well. So that goes back to my point where he could have called Robin, NIghtwing, or any of his allies to chase the Joker while he stopped Strange from trying to blow up Gotham.

Him going after Rachel, while Gorden went after Dent in the Dark Knight, as opposed to this, which is Batman wanting to run off and chase Talia and the Joker while Strange blows up a chunk of the city he's dedicated his life to protecting IS completely out of character.

RPGCrazied

Can someone help me with a Aslyum trophy? I know this is for Arkham City, but AA topic is kinda dead.

I'm only missing like 5 more trophies to get the all riddles found trophy. :p I tried to make a screen for you guys, i just can't seem to find it.

Picture756.jpg

Daft_Cat

RoninChaos said:
And even if we were to use that argument, are you telling me you think Batman would chase a chick who wants to fuck him while her and her father blow up the world, and the joker, while a group of helicopters was blowing up a chunk of his city with missiles? REALLY?

No, I wouldn't say that. Then again, that's not what Batman does. He has a quick emotional lapse of judgement that he quickly goes back on, especially after the objection of his most trusted friend.

RoninChaos said:
Joker snapped his own neck. He even says "After all this time, you don't have the guts to do it". The Joker died knowing that Batman would get blamed for killing him, even though Batman didn't do it. That's EXACTLY why the Joker snapped his own neck.

I must have remembered it differently or from something else. Looking at it now you are correct. But Batman almost did kill him, he did paralyze him which is pretty close.

thetrin

Secret_Riddle said:

In a lot of ways, that choice between Dent and Rachel was meant to show how far Batman still has to come before he becomes the Batman we know now.

RoninChaos said:

Except that in plenty of Batman comics, Batman doesn't care that OTHERS think that he's willing to kill. The code of ethics is for himself, not for others. In fact, in Grant Morrison's recent run of Batman, near the beginning, Joker gets shot. When Alfred says "everyone thinks Batman shot the Joker", Bruce responds with "let them believe that. It make my job easier".

He lives by the code because he believes it's what keeps him from becoming no better than those he fights. In fact, he lets rumors fly, because it increases the potency of Batman when its needed most, even though he'll never make good on many of those rumors, purely for his own sake.

Daft_Cat

thetrin said:
In a lot of ways, that choice between Dent and Rachel was meant to show how far Batman still has to come before he becomes the Batman we know now.

Definitely. The point is he makes the wrong choice in that case. In Arkham City, he
ultimately does not

Edit: Coded that wrong there for a second. Sincere apologies.

LiK

You know what sucks? AC Catwoman is gonna make me more disappointed about DK Rises Catwoman now. Anne Hathaway ain't gonna cut it.

RoninChaos said:

He didn't which is the point. Alfred didn't put Batman in time out, he reminded Batman of who he is. And what version of the character is Arkham Batman? Where are you deriving all of these things about Batman if you weren't taken them from outside of the series? To my knowledge none of the things that happen in Asylum or City go along with what you are saying about the character. Not that, that implies that your opinion is wrong or anything.

Grisby

LiK said:
You know what sucks? AC Catwoman is gonna make me more disappointed about DK Rises Catwoman now. Anne Hathaway ain't gonna cut it.
To be fair, nothing was gonna hold a candle to Michelle Pfeiffer anyways.

But yeah, AC cat is probably going to beat Nolan's vision.

RoninChaos said:
I disagree, for a number of reasons.
The joker doesn't define Batman, and Batman is too smart of a character to some how think that his existence is based around a group of villains. He doesn't have a self esteem issue. Batman, as a concept, needs to exist because there will always be evil in the world and it will always need some one to stop it.

It's not a self esteem issue, it's a reason for existing issue. The whole "there will always be evil in the world" is cute, but it's not accurate. Gotham doesn't need Batman to chase down purse snatchers, it needs him to stop the Joker. Batman and Joker have a symbiotic relationship. They need one another. Joker is Batman's greatest foe and validates the life Batman has chosen for himself.

Furthermore, I don't think Batman's intelligence has anything to do with it. Sure, he's the "World's Greatest Detective," but he's not infallible. He's human after all, one of his most endearing traits in a universe filled with superheroes from other planets. As with all of humanity, Batman is just looking for his purpose in life. Joker gave him purpose, and now Joker is gone.

UltimaPooh said:
He didn't which is the point. Alfred did put Batman in time out, he reminded Batman of who he is. And what version of the character is Arkham Batman? Where are you deriving all of these things about Batman if you weren't taken them from outside of the series? To my knowledge none of the things that happen in Asylum or City go along with what you are saying about the character. Not that, that implies that your opinion is wrong or anything.

DC has built a comic series around these. It takes a good chunk of the canon around batman and runs with it. So I would think that it's basically the character in the comics. Oracle is still in a wheel chair, Robin is Tim Drake, Nightwing is Dick Grayson, etc. Seems like it's based in the comics world, and not in the world of the Dark Knight.

The version of Batman in The Dark Knight is still a rookie. He's never gone against some one like the joker. The version in Arkham City has dealt with ALL of these villains before, numerous times. Even what he says at the end strengthens my point.

thetrin

Secret_Riddle said:
Definitely. The point is he makes the wrong choice in that case. In Arkham City, he
ultimately does not

Edit: Coded that wrong there for a second. Sincere apologies.
It's not really the same choice, in AC, though.

I don't know why no one is commenting on the fact that
Talia ISN'T THERE. I highly doubt her body would just sit there when League assassins could easily whisk it away to be rejuvenated in another lazarus pit. Why would Batman take Talia with him?
There's no reason to.

RoninChaos said:
DC has built a comic series around these. It takes a good chunk of the canon around batman and runs with it. So I would think that it's basically the character in the comics. Oracle is still in a wheel chair, Robin is Tim Drake, Nightwing is Dick Grayson, etc. Seems like it's based in the comics world, and not in the world of the Dark Knight.

The version of Batman in The Dark Knight is still a rookie. He's never gone against some one like the joker. The version in Arkham City has dealt with ALL of these villains before, numerous times. Even what he says at the end strengthens my point.
I don't think anyone would argue that this is an early Batman. This is quite obviously 2001-2005 era comic book Batman.

RoninChaos said:
Check my edit. I added a bit more explanation.

I see that but I think my larger point still stands.

Batman is prone to these things. He didn't actual let the city fall to Strange and his goons. He stopped them in the end. Did he flirt with screwing Arkham City? Yeah but he needed a little reminder and ultimately in the end he stuck with his ideals.

In the Dark Knight Batman doesn't send Gordon he gives Dent to Gordon since he made the choice to save the woman he loves. The thing is Batman has the ability to get to Rachel in time (he does get Harv. out) while Gordon does not. He made the choice to save the woman he loves instead of the city. There's more to it than just that of course because if he had went to save Dent instead of Rachel he would have saved the city and Bruce but there would be no Rachel for Bruce and so on.

Finally is there any mention of Nightwing in the game? I know Robin is in it.

Daft_Cat

RoninChaos said:
Check my edit. I added a bit more explanation.

I don't want to get to straw clutchy here, but there are other considerations as well.

1. The entire encounter up to that point. Batman believed Talia to be trying to help him, he also believed/hoped Ras to be turning a new corner.

2. He was sick at the time.

3. He had just been nearly blown up. After he gets out of that wreckage he seems a bit shell shocked until Alfred brings him to his senses.

Like I say, none of these things matter that much..but there are enough contextual indicators going off that, in my case, made his temporary lapse in judgement believable. The important element is that he ultimately does go after Strange.

EDIT

One final point then I'll concede the argument, haha.

Alfred and the supporting characters reacted in much the way you're reacting. I don't think it was a case of Dini losing sight of the character, or he wouldn't have written Alfred's reaction as strong as he did. I think he really was trying to get across a feeling of rage, frustration and confusion in Batman's character.

Solo

RoninChaos said:

To be honest, the entire plot of this game was a mess. AA worked because it had a strong, focused narrative and selected villains to suit it. AC on the other feels like they chose a bunch of fan favorite baddies first and then stitched a patchwork narrative around them. The whole thing was disjointed and convoluted.

Secret_Riddle said:
I don't want to get to straw clutchy here, but there are other considerations as well.

1. The entire encounter up to that point. Batman believed Talia to be trying to help him, he also believed/hoped Ras to be turning a new corner.

2. He was sick at the time.

3. He had just been nearly blown up. After he gets out of that wreckage he seems a bit shell shocked until Alfred brings him to his senses.

Like I say, none of these things matter that much..but there are enough contextual indicators going off that, in my case, made his temporary lapse in judgement believable. The important element is that he ultimately does go after Strange.

Let me add #4:

4. Talia had just saved Batman's life by essentially sacrificing herself. I'd think most people would tend to have some sense of loyalty to someone who just saved their life, perhaps even thinking irrationally about such loyalty. If Batman was a Wookiee and Talia was a Corellian smuggler, Batman would be spending the rest of his days flying around in "a piece of junk" known as the Millenium Falcon.

TangoAlphaLima said:
It's not a self esteem issue, it's a reason for existing issue. The whole "there will always be evil in the world" is cute, but it's not accurate. Gotham doesn't need Batman to chase down purse snatchers, it needs him to stop the Joker. Batman and Joker have a symbiotic relationship. They need one another. Joker is Batman's greatest foe and validates the life Batman has chosen for himself.

Furthermore, I don't think Batman's intelligence has anything to do with it. Sure, he's the "World's Greatest Detective," but he's not infallible. He's human after all, one of his most endearing traits in a universe filled with superheroes from other planets. As with all of humanity, Batman is just looking for his purpose in life. Joker gave him purpose, and now Joker is gone.
It's not Romeo and Juliet, man. I don't agree at all, but more power to you.
Batman doesn't NEED the Joker. There will ALWAYS be another set of villains for him to fight. None may be as deadly or cracked out as the joker has been, but still. There's a reason why versions of the character that exist at a future point in time has never stopped what he's been doing. In Kingdom Come, Maggog blew joker away. Batman's still doing it. In Batman Beyond, hardly any of his old rogues gallery exists, yet he was playing Batman as long as he could.

Batman doesn't validate himself in some personal way via his villains. There will always be crime and injustice. THAT validates the character.

LQX

Finished it. Great game, great sequel.

+Graphics were amazing. My Batman looked like he had gone through hell by the end of the game. And great voice work from the cartoons though it was odd hearing Penguin with a British accent, it worked though.

+-Combat. I like it but I almost wish it was faster and there was another attack button. One for punch the other kick.

+-Catwoman. I liked playing as her but holy hell I was lost at the end with her. Also, I don't get why so many are saying her story doesn't matter. It played very well in the game.

-There did not seem to be a good amount of Batman villains to go up against in a meaningful way. And the story seemed stretched for only 2-3 of them. Also some of it did not seem to wrap up well (Mr Freeze, Robin). I still liked it though.

I cant wait for some of thee single player DLC. There was a Mad Hatter screen so hopefully there is one for him.

Top Bottom