• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in that Box Office bomb prediction thread Batman v Superman got mentions but haven't seen Suicide Squad. Or am I to assume BvS will do so bad that WB will not release it...

Uh.... The movie was already released buddy. Remember ? The third trailer? With doomsday? Remember the part with Clark and aqua man talking in Atlantis when the kraken got loose?

Lol look again. One guy predicted it will do less than 600 million. I know it's hard to believe but some of these people are serious.

Edit: I wanted to clarify and say I do believe some are joke posts though. My buddies do that shit all the time.

I can see 600 million domestic and 600 worldwide.

IconGrist

Uh.... The movie was already released buddy. Remember ? The third trailer? With doomsday? Remember the part with Clark and aqua man talking in Atlantis when the kraken got loose?

Now I'm mad that probably won't happen. Thanks, solrac! Jeez! :p

I can see 600 million domestic and 600 worldwide.

600 million domestic? I don't know. I'm not expecting that. I think BvS has a good shot of beating AoU numbers overall but I think the first will still stand taller after all is said and done. I'm actually more curious about the Squad and Wonder Woman movies. I'd put that movie somewhere in between Man of Steel and Winter Soldier but WW would greatly depend on how Gal performs in BvS.

BadAss2961

Now I'm mad that probably won't happen. Thanks, solrac! Jeez! :p

600 million domestic? I don't know. I'm not expecting that. I think BvS has a good shot of beating AoU numbers overall but I think the first will still stand taller after all is said and done. I'm actually more curious about the Squad and Wonder Woman movies. I'd put that movie somewhere in between Man of Steel and Winter Soldier but WW would greatly depend on how Gal performs in BvS.
I think Suicide Squad has an outside shot at a billion worldwide, depending on BvS meeting or exceeding expectations. It's gonna be fun, different. It has the Joker, some more Batman, Harley who's gonna be huge star, and Will Smith who can help market the hell out of the thing even further.

Magwik

Banned
I won't even bother trying to predict the box office for any movies this year. Minions and Jurassic World making so much money threw me off completely. Everything is now possible, yet also impossible

IconGrist

I think Suicide Squad has an outside shot at a billion worldwide, depending on BvS meeting or exceeding expectations. It's gonna be fun, different. It has the Joker, some more Batman, Harley who's gonna be huge star, and Will Smith who can help market the hell out of the thing even further.

If BvS just blows people away (both through audience and critics) and SS has good word of mouth I could see a billion but I'm not betting on it.

As of right now my somewhat reserved expectations for WW numbers look like this:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - $900 Million to $1.1 Billion
Suicide Squad - $650 Million to $850 Million
Wonder Woman - $400 Million to $750 Million

Worst to Best Case scenarios. Wonder Woman having the biggest gap because of it being so dependent on BvS.

I do think that unless BvS makes something crazy like $1.5 Billion it will end up losing money. Think the budget is like $400+ Million not counting the marketing which is supposedly pretty damn high.

Magwik

Banned
If BvS just blows people away (both through audience and critics) and SS has good word of mouth I could see a billion but I'm not betting on it.

As of right now my somewhat reserved expectations for WW numbers look like this:

Worst to Best Case scenarios. Wonder Woman having the biggest gap because of it being so dependent on BvS.
Suicide Squad will probably sit somewhere at $640m. That's about what Mission Impossible made in the same time frame last year.

BadAss2961

I think Suicide Squad's biggest enemy will be the name

It just doesn't play to a family-audience, but we shall see
I'm still pleasantly surprised they just went with the name and that was the end of it. Everyone was thinking they'd probably have to bitch out and go Task Force X.

IconGrist

WB doesn't seem too concerned with marketing these movies as family friendly. If Deadpool does well (which it looks like it definitely will) they will likely abandon the idea altogether and just go balls deep with "This is it. If you don't like it that's a personal problem."

BadAss2961

I do think that unless BvS makes something crazy like $1.5 Billion it will end up losing money. Think the budget is like $400+ Million not counting the marketing which is supposedly pretty damn high.
Don't be so damn modest. BvS is a billion or bust.

Avengers carried garbage ass Iron Man 3 past the mark, so I give BvS a shot in doing that for the Squad.

It's Wonder Woman i'm not so sure about. I'm thinking about Man of Steel numbers unless the universe isn't really catching on as hoped.

IconGrist

Don't be so damn modest. BvS is a billion or bust.

Avengers carried garbage ass Iron Man 3 past the mark, so I give BvS a shot in doing that for the Squad.

It's Wonder Woman i'm not so sure about. I'm thinking about Man of Steel numbers unless the universe isn't really catching on as hoped.

You could be right. Only time will tell.

No way is it over $400 million. It seemed some were talking about the length of shooting as one of the reasons it was so high, but failed to realize the Nolan films went just as long, if not longer. I don't think the film has been living in post production either, I think the film has been more or less done for months and they've been forced to sit on it for 6-8 months.

If it's $400 million, I have a feeling they started rolling Justice League pre-production into that figure.

Penguin

I will say, personally, if BvS doesn't gross at least a billion would be a giant failure on Warner's behalf.

I mean the last two Batman films crossed that.. those were solo films and lacked most gimmicks sans IMAX (no real d 3D or w/e it is)

And it doesn't have a ton of competition domestically for like 3 weeks

I will say, personally, if BvS doesn't gross at least a billion would be a giant failure on Warner's behalf.

I mean the last two Batman films crossed that.. those were solo films and lacked most gimmicks sans IMAX (no real d 3D or w/e it is)

For comparison, I remember TDKR tickets were something like 8 or 9 €, now the 3D tickets cost something like 14 or 15€.

No way is it over $400 million. It seemed some were talking about the length of shooting as one of the reasons it was so high, but failed to realize the Nolan films went just as long, if not longer. I don't think the film has been living in post production either, I think the film has been more or less done for months and they've been forced to sit on it for 6-8 months.

If it's $400 million, I have a feeling they started rolling Justice League pre-production into that figure.

I think that number came from Latino Review who don't have the best track record.

I think it loses a lot of momentum because it's out such a long time after it's predecessor. That being said; while it's not on the same level of Star Wars, this is an event kind of film and as such it should reach around 1B. Though if it makes 900 million I wouldn't consider that a failure so long as they build around it. Mainstream audiences have no idea that there is going to be this DCEU, so once DC comes out with their full slate more and more people will jump on board over time.

Ahasverus

Wonder Woman is making all the money. The reception to the character has been super positive and the movie is being made by a high quality team. You guys shouldn't worry really.

Kinda wish George Clooney would get a second chance to play Batman/Bruce Wayne. I mean, he is a fantastic actor and very good looking.

But I am satisfied with Batfleck. Fucking Schumacher, ruined everything.

Penguin

I think it loses a lot of momentum because it's out such a long time after it's predecessor. That being said; while it's not on the same level of Star Wars, this is an event kind of film and as such it should reach around 1B. Though if it makes 900 million I wouldn't consider that a failure so long as they build around it. Mainstream audiences have no idea that there is going to be this DCEU, so once DC comes out with their full slate more and more people will jump on board over time.

Granted much more crowded playing field, but there was 3 years between Begins and TDK and 4 years between TDK and TDKR.

It really will depend on the marketing for the next 2 months

My guesses

BvS - 1 Billion-1.6 Billion

Like others have pointed out, Batman carries a lot of weight with mainstream as does Superman, this is the next big movie event of the year with zero competition. It's the most anticipated movie of the year according to several different sources as well. So it certainly has attention. Speaking to it's quality, multiple Hollywood reports have reported positively on the movie, particularly Gal Gadot and Affleck's performances. Lastly WB has a lot riding on this and I feel like they wouldn't put so much behind it unless they were confident in their product.

So the last Batman movie grossed over a billion with no imax 3d price markup and the foreign market (especially China) has only grown since then. It also is riding off the general growth of super hero movies ever since Ironman and TDK. I think the force awakens also brought back people to the theaters and that could have an impact on BvS's performance.

Squad - 600 million - 1 Billion

Contingent on Batfleck's performance in BvS. If that's a hit, the cameo by him will sell a shit ton of tickets. Otherwise it still has a solid foundation with Harely and Joker.

We've heard very little reporting on how the film actually is. It's pretty hard to define it's genre as well, Ayer describing it as humorous. I think Ayer is more than capable of providing a great film.

I think it will be received better WW than domestic, so far the trailers give the impression it's not so family friendly.

WW - 500-900 million

Like Squad, it's also relying on BvS, namely Gal's performance. We know almost nothing about the film at this point, but i think it will have a good sized audience. People are excited about WW and I feel we'll only get a small taste in BvS but it will be awesome. She could possibly set the standard for female led blockbusters, something that I feel hasn't happened since Alien.

On the other hand I'm unfamiliar with how much less money woman led films gross. I think they can certainly be popular but I think they're still at a disadvantage.

My reservations for this films gross is the parental insight angle. The film looks DARK. I imagine a lot of parents deterred from the family outing when the prevailing tagline for the film is "do you bleed". This isn't me hating, just making an observation. I could see it doing a billion to a billion, 200 million which of course will have a lot of folks celebrating that DC has lost it. I also don't think this film carries the good will into it TDK enjoyed (which had huge amount of new fans for BB from DVD sales after it did less than good business at the cinemas). Would love to be wrong.

Penguin

My reservations for this films gross is the parental insight angle. The film looks DARK. I imagine a lot of parents deterred from the family outing when the prevailing tagline for the film is "do you bleed". This isn't me hating, just making an observation. I could see it doing a billion to a billion, 200 million which of course will have a lot of folks celebrating that DC has lost it. I also don't think this film carries the good will into it TDK enjoyed (which was huge on DVD after BB did less than good business at the cinemas). Would love to be wrong.

I think the parental angle could go either way, I mean TDK and TDKR were also "dark" films, and I don't even think Zack will do some of the stuff Nolan had The Joker do.

I think it's biggest hurdle will be repeat viewings.

IconGrist

My reservations for this films gross is the parental insight angle. The film looks DARK. I imagine a lot of parents deterred from the family outing when the prevailing tagline for the film is "do you bleed". This isn't me hating, just making an observation. I could see it doing a billion to a billion, 200 million which of course will have a lot of folks celebrating that DC has lost it. I also don't think this film carries the good will into it TDK enjoyed (which was huge on DVD after BB did less than good business at the cinemas). Would love to be wrong.

I don't think "dark" matters anymore. People's perception of dark nowadays is "realistic" or "violent" and if we have learned anything these past few years "violent" does well.

IconGrist

Found this on SHH which was found on Instagram.

12545496_1671898036400669_1954439203_n.jpg

This film looks far lighter than TDKR.

I'd go so far as to say Civil War looks like it will have some darker elements story wise but the presentation will be less dramatic. I don't think anyone is going to die in BvS, least of all civilians. I'm half way expecting it to be on the nose like AoU was when they put in scenes of the avengers rescuing people.

Squad looked noticeably darker though with the Joker torturing people and most likely some deaths.

a916

Unless BvS is F4 levels bad, that movie should easily clear $1B. It won't be a flop if it gets 900M but it will be a disappointment.

I have no idea where to rank SS. I'm shocked to see what people are saying what the budget is (around 200M), I'm expecting 550M. 700M and WB should be really happy.

Wonder Woman is a wild card, it's the first woman lead super hero, the original, marketed properly, done well (which is a big if), that movie should pull in somewhere in between, but not more than BvS. So maybe 700M?

Ashhong

I'm not entirely sure where that scene lost you because to me it's pretty obvious and standard that he's coming across as stern authoritative and condescending with a tinge of annoyance. Along with the delivery but also the look of disgust he gives him with his eyes (they don't break until well after he turns his head, he maintains it as long as possible) "response but not a response".

I'd like to hear why it didn't hit for you the same way it hit for me.

Cavill does the job, it's believable. Does he go exceedingly beyond and completely steal the show? No, but it's not bad or mediocre.

Ok I've rewatched it a few more times, and it's not bad. It's not good, but it's not bad.

There is still just something about it that bothers me. Maybe it's the words themselves. "The bat is dead" sounds kinda dumb, but that's just IMO.

His facial expressions work at least. I can see the annoyance and just tired look in his face. He's like "this fucker again, stop bothering me"

Unless BvS is F4 levels bad, that movie should easily clear $1B. It won't be a flop if it gets 900M but it will be a disappointment.

I have no idea where to rank SS. I'm shocked to see what people are saying what the budget is (around 200M), I'm expecting 550M. 700M and WB should be really happy.

Wonder Woman is a wild card, it's the first woman lead super hero, the original, marketed properly, done well (which is a big if), that movie should pull in somewhere in between, but not more than BvS. So maybe 700M?

SS is really more of the wildcard to me. From everything we've seen, it's operating in an entirely different way from any other "superhero" adaptation I've ever seen. Other than maybe Wanted, but I try not to think about Wanted.

It could be a wild breakaway success, it could flop entirely. It's got the Joker, so the latter is less likely, but there's really not a lot of precedence to work with.

BadAss2961

SS is really more of the wildcard to me. From everything we've seen, it's operating in an entirely different way from any other "superhero" adaptation I've ever seen. Other than maybe Wanted, but I try not to think about Wanted.

It could be a wild breakaway success, it could flop entirely. It's got the Joker, so the latter is less likely, but there's really not a lot of precedence to work with.
Ledger's Joker was a really huge deal. Word of mouth is gonna be nuts if Leto can rival that.

IconGrist

From the B.O. Prediction thread.

ok, I'll make an avatar bet! You pick the avatar, and if I lose I shall wear it! Also you get to pick how long I'll wear it! I back up my statements! (ps I don't know how to make user tags)

*scratches my head* ugh....does it mean....not ugh...selling at expected levels? lol, both those films looks Mortal Kombat Annihilation bad.

Loakum is predicting that both X-Men and Batman v Superman flop.

Verendus

Banned
Are we doing box office predictions for BvS?

I think BvS doing a billion would be a disappointment. Batman was pretty huge with the Nolan movies, and this is his return to the big screen after 4 years. I know the popular opinion amongst the GAF minority is to hate on TDKR, but it's considered a great movie by general critical and populist metrics. The entire trilogy has a lot of goodwill so Batman is coming from as big of a high as possible. Granted, part of the TDK trilogys success is to do with that particular universe Nolan created, but it no doubt did a lot for Batman's box office power in general. Though I guess we're going to see how true that is with this movie. And while Man of Steel wasn't huge at the box office, it still did respectably. It performed really well on home video if I remember correctly too.

I don't think there's any reason to hold Man of Steel's gross against this movie however, as Superman may not be a huge superhero, but he carries with him legacy. That's pretty important in the context of this movie. I've always thought the movies leading to the Avengers didn't really mean anything except Iron Man/Iron Man 2. The Avengers movies still treat Iron Man as the central character, and Avengers doing so well is more a testament to it becoming a must see blockbuster movie. A couple of movies grossing $400 million doesn't do much for that, especially when you're looking at a $1.5 billion movie in 2012. It also explains why Iron Man 3 was so successful with a gross that wasn't far from Avengers itself. He was pretty much the central piece, and the other superheroes essentially turned it into a huge must see movie. I feel that happens with or without the build up of Thor or Captain America. BvS will support that belief once it finishes that run, but I imagine the conversation will then change to the fact that Batman and Superman were already big superheroes in the first place so its success should have been expected.

I think the fact that I feel me saying BvS doing a billion would be a disappointment is a little unfair, since a lot of people on GAF have been saying it wasn't even going to reach that in the past on here. That line of conversation has definitely changed a little however as more people are becoming less ignorant of the box office in general. I'm aware of that, but I'm obviously talking about my own point of view here. $1 billion has always felt like an easy lock to me since the movie was announced, and an underperformance of sorts. To me, it was always a matter of how high above a billion it could go. That's really what it comes down to.

Batman carries the bulk of the box office power, but the additional weight provided with Superman, and the context of their first movie together, should help make this movie a must see production. It actually helps that this movie also has Wonder Woman, which I didn't even expect a couple years ago. That's an added bonus I think. It brings it closer to being a Justice League movie rather than just a Batman and Superman one. Not a huge difference, but one that is still slightly important. They remain uncontested for almost an entire month too, which I always thought was a very smart move by Warner Bros.

I think $600 million overseas with an additional $150 million in China would be a pretty safe guess (for overseas, since for China, that's pretty good). That's $750 million without domestic. $400 million domestic should be happening no matter what. Basically, I think $1 billion is an easy lock, and it's kind of a pointless guess. Around $1.2 billion feels like a safe estimate for this movie. If you were to be conservative, I think that's around where you'd fall.

But I consider $600 million overseas and $400 million domestic an under performance. Of course, that's just me. I've explained why I feel like that above. $150 million in China is the only good performance there. It should really squeeze out $700 million overseas without China however, and about $500-600 domestic in my eyes. That would be more along the lines of it doing good.

So around $1.4-1.5 billion wouldn't be a surprise to me. That would fall in line with my expectations.

To me, the real surprise, and whether it actually over performs is whether it's able to get above that mark, and by how much. I realise that using an Avengers comparison isn't exact, since this movie only has Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but Batman and Superman being in a movie for the first time is a pretty big deal in itself. They carry most of the weight even if it's Justice League.

I feel Justice League would obviously be bigger on the first go around, but only by so much. Flash and Green Lantern only make so much of a difference to the ensemble, and the larger impact of having Batman and Superman in the movie, now with Wonder Woman, is still present with BvS. It's also smarter to do it this way really. The more important thing is introducing Batman, since he's easily the most popular superhero. Avengers without Iron Man flops. You've got to build up the big superheroes, and since Superman is established, it's more important to introduce this new Batman to audiences as the TDK trilogy needs to be distanced.

The only real thing holding this movie back is that Marvel is very much the popular choice amongst general audiences. This interconnected universe with multiple superheroes is kind of their thing really. Being the first one to do things does matter, and people tend to follow trends. That's why marketing is what it is, and why it works so well. I don't think that should be too much of a barrier however.

Having said that, around $1.4 billion would be this movie performing to my expectations for it. $1 billion would be an underperformance. Below $1 billion is a definite disappointment. Above $1.5 billion is it going beyond expectations, and genuinely surprising me. Not too much, since I think it has a genuine shot at that if it's received well, but still a surprise. For it to do that however, it needs to do really well overseas and in China, which I feel is a lot easier said than done. Domestic will likely be good, if not great for this movie.

bryanee

I've updated my Wonder Woman avatar. I hope no one else already has this one. If you know if any one does then do let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom