• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

So first day with the game today...I'm trying to master the Jets, and while I feel really good about my actual maneuvering now, I can dodge shit pretty effectively and don't crash into anything anymore...I still can't hit fuck all with that shitty machine gun. In my hour and a half of tinkering with the jets I've only killed 3 other planes. I don't die, but I spend the whole game in the same jet shooting at people and never killing anyone. Even if I do land a good burst and set another jet smoking, usually by the time I can actually get them lined up in my crosshairs again they've fully healed. Any tips? I seriously find it impossible to hit anything, and against other jets with lock-on I'm pretty much fucked, cause even though I can dodge forever, I can never actually take them down.

beastmode

EviLore said:
NeoGAF Community Server is good times!
ccuU8.png

:p

redhot_

Massa said:
That's pretty much how it goes for any multiplayer game with a hint of team work on consoles. It's the reason I'm burned out on these games.

Ya, I feel like im playing and looking for that one awesome match, digging through all the trash ones. Like.. the last shooter i played was blops back in May, and well you just need like 1 or 2 friends that are competent to win a match in that game. In this playing conquest and having a chunk of people standing around on the run ways or that one dude that sits on the side of the road with his C4 just waiting for that ONE tank kill can screw you.

Dreamgazer said:
Obviously, you're playing with the wrong group of people

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449638

Oh snap. thanks!

CozMick

Banned
KAOz said:
Do you know if the HD-textures are included? I am thinking of maybe dipping in. But started making myself paranoid that they wheren't there.

I can confirm that it does include the HD textures :)

And it looks fantastic :)

Arment

MrOogieBoogie said:
Metro and Damavand Peak 64-player Conquest are awesome. Screw the haters. Love how intense the firefights are.

Metro 64 man Conquest is pretty lame and I love infantry only generally. It lacks alternate paths. Generally whoever gets B first just sits back and destroys you as you throw yourselves at them to get it back.

On the other hand my tactic of sitting back and picking off people with my 4x ACOG SV98 on that particular map is really helping my recon score.

Damavand is a bit better because you can fly over the mountain and take them from behind. It's another path at least.

Honestly I can't wait for 24/7 Karkand/Wake servers again. Such perfect maps.

KAOz

Short bus special
CozMick said:
I can confirm that it does include the HD textures :)

And it looks fantastic :)

Awesome! Thank you!

Now to figure out if 699 SEK (60, almost $70) is worth it. Or if I should find it cheaper.

1stStrike

Banned
KorrZ said:
So first day with the game today...I'm trying to master the Jets, and while I feel really good about my actual maneuvering now, I can dodge shit pretty effectively and don't crash into anything anymore...I still can't hit fuck all with that shitty machine gun. In my hour and a half of tinkering with the jets I've only killed 3 other planes. I don't die, but I spend the whole game in the same jet shooting at people and never killing anyone. Even if I do land a good burst and set another jet smoking, usually by the time I can actually get them lined up in my crosshairs again they've fully healed. Any tips? I seriously find it impossible to hit anything, and against other jets with lock-on I'm pretty much fucked, cause even though I can dodge forever, I can never actually take them down.

Jets are pain in the ass. Try to target helicopters or spotted tanks. Neither tend to move much so you should be able to at least get some vehicle damage points on them. That's mostly how I leveled up - just shooting retarded helicopter pilots, with a couple lucky jets throne in.

Once you unlock heat seekers it's a whole new ball game. I've already gotten another 1,200 points in jets since I unlocked heat seekers earlier today.

TheExodu5 said:
bf3_puking.jpg

I have no clue who thought this effect looked good. This is worse than MW2 strawberry jam.

Tom Penny said:
I thought the shit was a glitch until it never went away. So bad and literally makes no sense.

What are you talking about, Blackburn clearly just forgot to get the sand out of his contact lenses ;)

KorrZ

1stStrike said:
Jets are pain in the ass. Try to target helicopters or spotted tanks. Neither tend to move much so you should be able to at least get some vehicle damage points on them. That's mostly how I leveled up - just shooting retarded helicopter pilots, with a couple lucky jets throne in.

Once you unlock heat seekers it's a whole new ball game. I've already gotten another 1,200 points in jets since I unlocked heat seekers earlier today.

Yeah :\ I'm hoping I get lucky and unlock those heat seekers. I can't fathom why DICE thought it was a good idea to make those an unlock and stick you with a shitty machine gun. Luckily it's only the first week, anyone who tries to get into the game a month or two from now stands no fucking chance in a jet against people with upgrades.

_woLf

Goddammit, this is pissing me off.

Does anyone else have HUGE problems with the party system and inviting people?

Friends of mine get each others invites, party requests, co-op invites, etc. I get nothing, every time. People drag me to their "drop zone", I get no invite. People add me to their party, I get no invite. People invite me to co-op games, I get no invite.

I invite people to co-op games, they say they accept, it doesn't tell me that. This goes on for fucking ever, and has never worked properly, on Firefox or on Chrome. What the hell is the deal?

*mad*

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, the mortar definitely isn't OP.

If no one spots, there's nothing to shoot.

If you aren't covered, you're dead.

Reload/shooting, is slow as fuck.

1stStrike

Banned
KorrZ said:
Yeah :\ I'm hoping I get lucky and unlock those heat seekers. I can't fathom why DICE thought it was a good idea to make those an unlock and stick you with a shitty machine gun. Luckily it's only the first week, anyone who tries to get into the game a month or two from now stands no fucking chance in a jet against people with upgrades.

Yep, and unlike helicopters you can't put two people in it. I've been leveling up my attack choppers by gunning for people that are already leveled up. Can't do that with jets. With heat seakers and stealth I'm already nearly untouchable - once I have everything unlocked it's going to be ridiculous.

Dries

Well in every server I am experiencing rubberbanding. What can I do? Is this because I need to update Punkbuster? No server in Battlelog is showing it's ping either..

beastmode

njean777 said:
Still no, unless its the newest one released. Then you may be able to play on low. I would just buy it for ps3 to skip all the problems you may have with the graphics. If you had a gaming pc then that would be a different story.
game looks stunning on low settings

Love the game (and multiplayer) on PS3. Love it!

There are just a few things that need fixing ASAP for it to be perfect imo:

• Joining games as a squad almost always gets you disbanded, which means you have to leave your squad, create a new one and invite your friends again. But if one of your mates happens to be put on the other team, you're screwed.

• Voice chat quality is very, very bad. In a match, at least. In the main menu it's decent, but once in-game it gets choppy and noisy and there's no way to talk with my friends like this.

• There's no separate control for Game-volume and VoIP-volume, which sucks if you use your own headphones and a separate microphone (official PS Headset hanging on my shirt's collar)!

_woLf said:

Friends of mine get each others invites, party requests, co-op invites, etc. I get nothing, every time. People drag me to their "drop zone", I get no invite. People add me to their party, I get no invite. People invite me to co-op games, I get no invite.

I invite people to co-op games, they say they accept, it doesn't tell me that. This goes on for fucking ever, and has never worked properly, on Firefox or on Chrome. What the hell is the deal?

*mad*

Haven't tried co op yet but we had lots of problems inviting game and party joining properly on normal servers together.

Nucks

Neo Member
_woLf said:

*mad*
Are you using Avast antivirus? A couple of my friends had this issue. They found out that Avast was what was causing the problems, and when they disabled it battlelog worked fine.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
_woLf said:

*mad*

Yep. Squads definitely needs a patch or two to make it work.

magicaltrevor said:
Love the game (and multiplayer) on PS3. Love it!

There are just a few things that need fixing ASAP for it to be perfect imo:

• Joining games as a squad almost always gets you disbanded, which means you have to leave your squad, create a new one and invite your friends again. But if one of your mates happens to be put on the other team, you're screwed.

• Voice chat quality is very, very bad. In a match, at least. In the main menu it's decent, but once in-game it gets choppy and noisy and there's no way to talk with my friends like this.

• There's no separate control for Game-volume and VoIP-volume, which sucks if you use your own headphones and a separate microphone (official PS Headset hanging on my shirt's collar)!

Also this. I hate the fact that we need to "dance" in order to play as a squad. Pretty shitty in my opinion.

Loving the game but people should play the objective. Asshats everywhere!

see5harp

Got a 360 copy from Gamefly and having issues with even the campaign. TONS of scripting issues and a hard lock on top of that. I'm reading about all of these issues on every platform and I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people continue to put faith in DICE. The have released buggy release after buggy release going all the way back to Battlefield 2 on PC. Not sure I even want to spend exploit MS points to try the online.

EDIT: also this game has more lens flare than every modern John Woo film and Star Trek put together.

Orgun

re: the crazy glare and dusty look to it. I like to think my guy is wearing a dirty/dusty pair of sunglasses, makes perfect sense then :)

Dries said:
Well in every server I am experiencing rubberbanding. What can I do? Is this because I need to update Punkbuster? No server in Battlelog is showing it's ping either..

Forcing BF3.exe to run as admin will fix Battlelog not showing pings.

Ubersnug

Given how fast this thread moves I have no idea if this has been brought up yet but, has anyone with teh 360 version having problems connecting to games via the 'Quick match' option? Every time I tried I would always get a failed to connect error.

Also, the server browser seems to only return 1 or 2 servers in Europe. I have to amend the browser filter to show worldwide servers. Connecting to them can be a bit of a fluke as well.

And, finally, the squad issues are still here and im still having problems trying to connect into games with friends.

Despite the game being awesome (once you finally get in a game), I'm quite disappointed with all the network issues. I thought this was the point of the Beta? To alleviate these issues before launch?

kuYuri

So a buddy and I were playing co-op (PC version) and we were doing the chopper mission. We kept crashing at the beginning of the mission since we couldn't figure out how to ride the chopper well with M/KB. We finally managed to do it when I became the driver and used a 360 controller after dying another 2-3 times trying to practice. :lol

Aspiring

Got mine from amazon on the 360 today. Case was all broken. Disc has no scratches but still. Case is shot. All the clips inside such as the spine to hold the second disc and the manuals are all snapped.

Anyway I booted the game and playedpne quick game and was greeted by some of the worst lag In a retail release. My guy was running and after say 5 steps I was teleported back 3. I quit and turned it off. I just hope it was an oddity and the game is lag free. Also was pissed at no wake island. I thought the karkand pack was included.

Makoto

So much about BF3’s customization menu is a mess. An absolute mess. There are several maps that call for different situations, so why do I have to waste my team’s time by fooling around with my equipment? There should be loadout slots for each class. If I’m playing Grand Bazaar and I want to play Engineer, I don’t want to have to waste time changing the Stinger to the RPG, changing the Repair Tool to the AT-Mines, changing my heavy barrel on the gun to the suppressor. It’s inefficient and it wastes everyone’s time.

1stStrike

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
So a buddy and I were playing co-op (PC version) and we were doing the chopper mission. We kept crashing at the beginning of the mission since we couldn't figure out how to ride the chopper well with M/KB. We finally managed to do it when I became the driver and used a 360 controller after dying another 2-3 times trying to practice. :lol

I use only the keyboard for flying. Works quite well. The mouse sucks and the controller doesn't feel right, IMO.

Khal_B

This is my first Battlefield game and the more I play it, the more I enjoy it. Coming from the fast paced world of the CoD series I was a bit skeptical at first, but when I saw what they were doing with their new engine and the PC trailers I decided to give it a shot and have no regrets. Credit to DICE for an amazing game.

Well if there's one regret I have, it's that the game wasn't released on Steam, so a lot of my friends that I usually play with ended up not buying the game and are awaiting MW3 for their FPS fix. Kinda disappointed because of that, since team work in this game is so damn enjoyable. Hopefully EA/Steam sort out their issues soon.

Inverting the helo controls helped me immensely, gotten pretty good with the scout chopper miniguns. Just need some stealth/armor so I don't get shot down so easily.

Dries

HotHamWater said:
Forcing BF3.exe to run as admin will fix Battlelog not showing pings.

Lol... This is embarrassing. Found out my dad had Vuze turned on. Yeah... Well, it's fixed now lol.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
vidal said:
So much about BF3’s customization menu is a mess. An absolute mess. There are several maps that call for different situations, so why do I have to waste my team’s time by fooling around with my equipment? There should be loadout slots for each class. If I’m playing Grand Bazaar and I want to play Engineer, I don’t want to have to waste time changing the Stinger to the RPG, changing the Repair Tool to the AT-Mines, changing my heavy barrel on the gun to the suppressor. It’s inefficient and it wastes everyone’s time.

Yep/ Agree with you 100 percent. They need to have customizable loadouts for each class. Engineer at least two slots, and so on. Will save a lot of time.

Also, BF3 servers DOWN again! Arggh!

CozMick

Banned
PS3 servers down, I've had a few games now and have come to the conclusion that this game fucking rocks.

No problems with the controls and input lag, playing in 1080p and it looks amazing.

V-sync is a godsend, in the beta that shit tore like a mofo.

Only real highlight for me in the campaign was jumping out the plane with the other Russian dudes - then as you are free falling, the BF music starts to play. That was about it. Narrative was like The Peacemaker, but told in flashback and with Clooney being a grunt with camera lenses for eyes. Now that my curiosity has been satiated, mp all the way. And hard.

zlatko

Banned
1stStrike said:
The A-91 with a scope, foregrip and laser sight = amazing.

I just unlocked the javelin too, and damn does that thing fuck up some tanks lol. I love how the tank drivers panic when they get a lock on too driving all crazy and shit - but alas, the javelin finds its mark :p

I second that the A-91 is a great gun. So glad I decided to use it. Much better at taking people out than my attempts with the Scar. :)

KAOz

Short bus special
So, after bitching about the PSN price, I went to one of my local game stores.
Managed to smooth-talk the guy. Got the Limited Edition, plus all pre-order bonuses (including the steelbook edition) even though I didn't pre-order.
Total cost: $20 for everything.

I'm happy.

So, Euro-Ps3 GAF I'm joining your Platoon.

catotheyounger said:
Only real highlight for me in the campaign was jumping out the plane with the other Russian dudes - then as you are free falling, the BF music starts to play. That was about it. Narrative was like The Peacemaker, but told in flashback and with Clooney being a grunt with camera lenses for eyes. Now that my curiosity has been satiated, mp all the way. And hard.
Loved that bit.

1stStrike

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
Operation Firestorm is fucking amazing, my favorite map right now.

That map and Caspian Border are my favorites. I like Damavand Peak on rush when my team can actually manage to get past the 2nd base (that choke point is ridiculous) as you have to admit - sky diving to the 3rd base is pretty bad ass.

The first time I played it I was like "where the fuck do I go now?" and ran to the edge - looked down and saw the base. It was one of those "Fuck, that's cool" moments
3AQmK.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Co-op feels like it should have been a 4 person affair. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, but I haven't been able to finish the first one. At least the helicopter one is relatively easy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Aspiring said:
Got mine from amazon on the 360 today. Case was all broken. Disc has no scratches but still. Case is shot. All the clips inside such as the spine to hold the second disc and the manuals are all snapped.

Anyway I booted the game and playedpne quick game and was greeted by some of the worst lag In a retail release. My guy was running and after say 5 steps I was teleported back 3. I quit and turned it off. I just hope it was an oddity and the game is lag free. Also was pissed at no wake island. I thought the karkand pack was included.
I'm not getting any lag whatsoever playing on the 360. My issue is that I can RARELY ever actually connect to the servers to actually play online. And when I do, there's like a 50% chance that it will kick me out halfway into the game(or minutes before I win.....).

If this is a traffic issue, then playing this weekend will be almost impossible.

madmackem

KAOz said:
So, after bitching about the PSN price, I went to one of my local game stores.
Managed to smooth-talk the guy. Got the Limited Edition, plus all pre-order bonuses (including the steelbook edition) even though I didn't pre-order.
Total cost: $20 for everything.

I'm happy.

So, Euro-Ps3 GAF I'm joining your Platoon.

Are you sure there wasnt some sexual favours exchanged?, how did you get it all for that cheap trade in?.

madmackem

Seanspeed said:
I'm not getting any lag whatsoever playing on the 360. My issue is that I can RARELY ever actually connect to the servers to actually play online. And when I do, there's like a 50% chance that it will kick me out halfway into the game(or minutes before I win.....).

If this is a traffic issue, then playing this weekend will be almost impossible.

Have you sorted out the ports mate that were linked in the op i think, i use to have some serious issues with ea online servers with BT broadband but forwarded all ports etc and not had issue with bc2 or fifa since. Just about to play bf3 so i hope i havent just jinxed myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom