• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drone

LiquidMetal14 said:
WHat's that mean? I have no issue with Origin.

By using Origin you agree to give EA the right to examine your hard drive for ANY installed software and to report this information to EA. You also give up your right to join any class action lawsuit against EA.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just want proper 360 pad buttons in the UI and game. Everything crucial seems to be mapped but still getting KB/M prompts make it hard.

I'm actually using a KB/M more for this game than I thought anyways.

Drone said:
By using Origin you agree to give EA the right to examine your hard drive for ANY installed software and to report this information to EA. You also give up your right to join any class action lawsuit against EA.
I'm not sure how elaborate that is but that doesn't sound too good. I'm not enjoying the game less though.

dark10x said:
Amazing how opinions can change.

I just went back and took a look at the "Fault Line series" thread on GAF (based on the initial BF3 SP footage). People are going ape shit in there. Best looking game ever! No way this is possible on 360! There were even people doubting whether it would really look that good.

Well, the final version actually DOES look just as good as that footage and it runs very smoothly on the PC. Not only that, the console versions are extremely close as well. Yet, that same level is being viewed as absolute shit and not even worth trying. I don't necessarily think it's a great SP level, but it's not as if it looks any different than what you saw in that first footage. It's exactly the same and you could tell that it was completely scripted.

Does anyone else find this fascinating?

I find it sad :(, while not the best Single Player experience, the atmosphere alone makes it worth my time.

U2NUMB

Tip on the consoles that my friends and I figured out last night .(maybe we are behind the curve)

We had about 10 people that wanted to play.. as long as you join a friends server from the friends tab in the server list it will get you on their team. Maybe not the first game but you will be pulled over in the next round.

So much easier than switching teams when possible. Had 10 of us on the same side.. rocking it and all loving it.

LiquidMetal14

zephervack said:
I find it sad :(, while not the best Single Player experience, the atmosphere alone makes it worth my time.
Exactly. People are just overly critical when it's a solid campaign. Nothing Oscar worthy but no one should expect that.

Does removing BF3 without removing the save data reset the key bindings?

I'm in the process of re-installing because origin can't find the game executable or something. Updating also gave me an error.

legbone

i haven't touched the multi yet, as my tradition is to beat the campaign of any shooter before jumping into the multi. i have to say that i am really enjoying this campaign. one of my favorite military shooter campaigns i have played. at times it looks amazing and there are some really cool setpieces. i haven't finished it yet because forza takes all my time but i'm really enjoying it so far.

Sec0nd

So I am at the flashfoward part in the campaign now but I got all these crazy glitch things in my screen. I guess this is not supposed to happen? It is strangely enough in the Battlefield kind of style but I dunno. It reappears when I restart the game but they don't overlay the menu screen.

Edit: Nevermind, Battlefield just killed my Xbox. Hardware failure...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Exactly. People are just overly critical when it's a solid campaign. Nothing Oscar worthy but no one should expect that.

Or some people find excessively scripted hyper linear cinematic shooters boring.

Man... this

O3MR0.png

Feels like cheating
lol.gif

Varna

Dark Souls is pretty much making any other game irrelevant at the moment. But when I do come back I am buying this one. Did they fix up all the stupid annoyance from the beta? Flash lights blinding you out in the daylight and all that? Is the full destruction like they advertized in?

Megasoum

Banned
EatChildren said:
Or some people find excessively scripted hyper linear cinematic shooters boring.

What? You mean like all the other military shooters of the last 5-6 years? All the CODs, Homefront, MOH...they all are exccessively scripted hyper linear cinematic shooters...

Now it's totally fine if you don't like that kind of singleplayer, to each his own.

The problem I have with all the BF3 SP hate (and I'm not pointing you specifically, just in general) is that I bet a LOT of people will praise (or at list not shit on) the MW3 campaign when in reality it's the exact same thing as BF3 and probably won't be better (I know it wasn't in MW2 and Black Ops).

LiquidMetal14

EatChildren said:
I'm in the middle. It's all opinion based though. I'm definitely not defending the campaign as I haven't beat it but it's been enjoyable so far.

GodofWine

U2NUMB said:
Tip on the consoles that my friends and I figured out last night .(maybe we are behind the curve)

We had about 10 people that wanted to play.. as long as you join a friends server from the friends tab in the server list it will get you on their team. Maybe not the first game but you will be pulled over in the next round.

So much easier than switching teams when possible. Had 10 of us on the same side.. rocking it and all loving it.

How the heck did you find a server with 10 empty slots that let you all join it?? on PS3 every, EVERY server its showing is full, or 1-2 empty slots, it launched 2 of 3 party members into the game, and left me out over and over...So f'ing dumb that they broke the squad system that worked perfectly in BC2.

Fix this shit DICE

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Enkidu said:
Does anyone know if there are any servers out there that has started to remove the shitty maps yet? I don't think I want to play on Metro, Seine, or Damavand ever again.

Isn t Damavand the one in the Mountains were you parachutes out to attack a base at the bottom of the mountain... that was genius... anyway that one is my favorite! Yeah Metro, Seine... even Bazard are not so great!

Salaadin

So, this being my first BF game online, Im sucking hard. Anyone have any tips? I know the gist is to kill people and complete whatever the objectives are but Im unable to kill anyone and objectives arent getting me a lot of points so Im stuck using starter weapons which, imo, arent that great.

The game is a lot of fun though. Im really enjoying it despite eating dirt most of the time.

peetfeet

Enkidu said:
Does anyone know if there are any servers out there that has started to remove the shitty maps yet? I don't think I want to play on Metro, Seine, or Damavand ever again.

Can't you just filter out the maps?

ToyD

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
So, this being my first BF game online, Im sucking hard. Anyone have any tips? I know the gist is to kill people and complete whatever the objectives are but Im unable to kill anyone and objectives arent getting me a lot of points so Im stuck using starter weapons which, imo, arent that great.

The game is a lot of fun though. Im really enjoying it despite eating dirt most of the time.

Just stick with it. As you earn the unlocks for the weapons, they get more powerful. It's hard to compete against the guys with a bunch of unlocks already I know.

Also, use some of the non-kill methods to get points for the other unlocks. Use your support abilities, ammo, medkit, defib, suppress, spot, caps, defends, etc.

And if you're a squad leader, GIVE FUCKING ORDERS! It's free points that are so often unused.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Varna said:
Dark Souls is pretty much making any other game irrelevant at the moment. But when I do come back I am buying this one. Did they fix up all the stupid annoyance from the beta? Flash lights blinding you out in the daylight and all that? Is the full destruction like they advertized in?

No they didn't bunch of bugs remain... like always with Dice wait 1-2 month before you can really enjoy it. Game design is great bug are not and the browser launch is the lamest thing... also whats up with the HUGE wait time to load a map?

ToD_

Salaadin said:

I find that with battlefield (and most online shooters) it comes down to playing a ton. Learning the maps is one of the most important things and anticipation where enemies come from based on the captured flags. Considering you're enjoying it, just keep at it :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
Oh, I kind of agree. These overly scripted military campaigns aren't really my thing, but a lot of people were flipping their shit over the footage earlier this year and I'm surprised to see how much hate it is now getting when it is exactly the same as what they first showed.

If DICE was reading forums at all, I'm sure they're also confused by the flip-flop of reactions.

kitch9

Banned
faulty_fork said:
I think the planes control good enough, but the cannon is so damned weak. When I finally line up and unload several bursts of fire into an enemy chopper I want it to go down. Now it just feels like you're shooting needles and it's not really satisfying.

With my short time in the choppers I always ended up rolling too much and crashing into some structure. It's hard to re-adjust from all the time I spent flying choppers in the Apache game, probably need to change the sticks around. A practice mode would truly be great.

Jets can disable a tank in one burst and drop a chopper in around half a burst....... How easy do you want it?

Enkidu said:

The gaf server doesn't have those. I think it's just Firestorm, Canals, Caspian, and Bazaar.

F#A#Oo

Banned
The sniper rifles in this game are borked!

It is essentially a damage dealer so that others can take kills and you get assists...

I have to roll with a CQC weapons (shotty/sub) to get to the front lines because in 1 on 1 situations I lose...the class feels like the Tactician class in KZ2...I only exists to allow my team mates to spawn somewhere where they can be effective which is great and love love love it...BUT the sniper rifles are retarded...I have to shoot 3 times to get a kill.

I thought maybe I am doing it wrong so I stayed back and tried to pick others off and spot the enemies...at one point I even had a duel with another recon across the map and we exchanged hit markers several times...lol one of his shots took my life from 100% to 60%...and he managed to get a 2nd shot on me (semi-auto fire) and it pegged me down to 10%...

Essentially it takes 3 shots to kill...

I agree that sniper rifles should do OHK to the head only but in a practical terms it just doesn't work out...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Varna said:
Flash lights blinding you out in the daylight and all that? Is the full destruction like they advertized in?
Flash lights still just blind people and do nothing else of use.

Full destruction was bullshit all along. The Caspian tower is 100% scripted.

BigJiantRobut said:
Lasers I can sort of understand having a blinding effect since they're, y'know, lasers, and it's much harder to actually point it directly into someone's face.

Those flashlights, however. Holy shit, what a terrible idea.

Tac lights are incredibly powerful, the one on my rifle at home will easily blind someone, the problem with the game is that they work at too far a distance and in bright daylight sometimes. In the dark sure, thats how they really are as they are not just little flashlights on a gun, but from a far distance during the day it shouldn't.

Lasers aren't really bad in this, even if someone "blinds you" with them, you can still see fairly well compared to the flashlight effect.

kitch9

Banned
ashbash159 said:
Okay so I got this game a couple of hours ago on PC and have finished the jet mission in campaign.

Now it's time for some multiplayer.

However I click multiplayer quick match in battlelog and in the game manager in the bottom left it just says "Matchmaking..." Nothing is happening.

KvBlw.png

One rule of matchmaking is never ever use matchmaking.

You will end up in a server hundreds of miles away that is completely shit.

SoulClap

dark10x said:
Any ideas if there are solutions for QTEs while using the 360 pad? I've spent most of my time with a mouse and keyboard, but when I wanted to play a bit in my theater with a 360 pad, I found that none of the QTEs actually worked. You have to use a keyboard and/or mouse to execute the actions. Any fixes out there?

I really hope DICE is aware of this and planning on patching it.

Salaadin

ToyD said:
Just stick with it. As you earn the unlocks for the weapons, they get more powerful. It's hard to compete against the guys with a bunch of unlocks already I know.

Also, use some of the non-kill methods to get points for the other unlocks. Use your support abilities, ammo, medkit, defib, suppress, spot, caps, defends, etc.

And if you're a squad leader, GIVE FUCKING ORDERS! It's free points that are so often unused.

ToD_ said:
I find that with battlefield (and most online shooters) it comes down to playing a ton. Learning the maps is one of the most important things and anticipation where enemies come from based on the captured flags. Considering you're enjoying it, just keep at it :)

Ok, Ill stick it out. I hardly play ANY shooters online (last one was KZ2) so its pretty all pretty new to me.

F#A#Oo said:

It is essentially a damage dealer so that others can take kills and you get assists...

I have to roll with a CQC weapons (shotty/sub) to get to the front lines because in 1 on 1 situations I lose...the class feels like the Tactician class in KZ2...I only exists to allow my team mates to spawn somewhere where they can be effective which is great and love love love it...BUT the sniper rifles are retarded...I have to shoot 3 times to get a kill.

I thought maybe I am doing it wrong so I stayed back and tried to pick others off and spot the enemies...at one point I even had a duel with another recon across the map and we exchanged hit markers several times...lol one of his shots took my life from 100% to 60%...and he managed to get a 2nd shot on me (semi-auto fire) and it pegged me down to 10%...

I agree that sniper rifles should do OHK to the head only but in a practical terms it just doesn't work out...

The SVD is 3 shots, but that's normal because it's semi-automatic. But it's also a 2 hit kill if it's an headshot

Can someone help me? PS3 version, I tried to play multiplayer last night but it said to go to battlelog.battlefield.com and enter my EA account, so I tried but I guess Origin was down or something. So this morning I went to that site again and logged in, but it won't let me, it just says "buy BF3 to enter battlelog" but the BF3 menu told me to go to battlelog first, wtf? I haven't even entered my online pass yet, I can't find where to do that.

kitch9

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
Some impressions from a COD hero/first time Battlefielder:

1. HEEEEELLLLOOOOOO lens flare!
2. Draw distance is pants. Very disappointing.
3. Menu system/UI is pretty shit.
4. Why do some of my teammates have a blue icon above their head, and others orange? Can I change that?
5. I get momentary skips in time occurring, where I'll be running, and then it shudders and takes me back a few seconds? (On Xbox.)

Otherwise I'm loving it. Love the slower pace, more tactical/strategic gameplay. I haven't seen a lick of organised team-work yet, but that's my own fault for playing with randoms.

Where's that facepalm gif?

Menelaus

Banned
Confidence Man said:
The gaf server doesn't have those. I think it's just Firestorm, Canals, Caspian, and Bazaar.
The only map the GAF server doesn't have in rotation is Metro.

edit: and tehran until the lag issues are solved

kitch9

Banned
Drone said:
Has anyone else tried flying the choppers on the PC version with an Xbox controller. I can't get it to increase throttle enough to take off more than about 5 meters. When I bind the throttle to the Y axis of the left stick, the menu adds another bind option which looks like a glitch.

Use the triggers as throttle? I can't see how your trying to do it would work tbh?

Darklord

Banned
So I tried the single player for a bit. It looks and sounds GREAT just like multiplayer but the scripting is pretty shitty. Like I move beyond where it wants me and has the out of bounds timer, infinity spawning enemies until I do a specific thing, most enemies just targeting you. It's clumsy and actually disappointing because the trailers made the single player look really, really good.

F#A#Oo said:

They made it more like BF2 where snipers were not as powerful, and frankly it's fine that way as the ranges in this game are far larger in many of the maps than in other online shooters, plus being able to go prone, it can be impossible to counter snipe with regular weapons. You are exchanging the ability to kill easy with snipers for having safe long range shots. In other shooters even while sniping, anyone with an AR or even at times SMGs with a scope will easily be able to take you down. With the bullet drop and ranges in BF3 you can snipe from relative safety of return fire.

Bolt actions unlocks also do much better damage.

Enjoying it, as we are seeing lot less wookies running around in this compared to the mess that was BC2 where majority of players on your pub will be recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom