• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
some back to karkand screens

Battefield_3___Back_to_Karkand___Strike_at_Karkand_screens__3.jpg.jpg

Battefield_3___Back_to_Karkand___Strike_at_Karkand_screens__1.jpg.jpg

Battefield_3___Back_to_Karkand___Strike_at_Karkand_screens__2.jpg.jpg

I'm not the world's greatest player, so I have to cherish what few epic moments I get:

Driving a tank last night, spot an enemy on top of a 1-story building off in the distance-ish. Blow the building with the tank's main gun, enemy ragdolls what must have been at LEAST 100 feet in the air, spinning towards me, where he lands with the plop in the stream right in front of my tank.

Yep, probably the best moment in gaming I've ever had (and I go back to the Atari 2600)...

zlatko

Banned
I agree with the sentiments about the sniper. There just isn't much value in the class overall compared to the others. In BC2 the tools it had early on for anti tank were great, and having multiple recon balls let you scout positions before you approached them. They had great utility, but now with being weaker in gun play AND to team dynamics it's "meh."

Don't get me wrong the respawn ability is a fantastic addition, but it's so easy to find them when they make such a loud noise for enemies to destroy. I also find teammates do not spawn on them often in my squad, and instead opt to just pop on my body instead.

What do snipers have to look forward to later on? Is it just an issue with their early game tools and weapons being shit, and then they get really scary later on, or were they too scared of making them deadly now that they put prone back in?

You can get more "sniping" done with AR/LMGs with scopes on them in prone I feel. :( This again goes back to a lot of the maps being better suited for mid range and close encounters.

I'll try to stick with it, but I find myself more and more playing Engineer to stay alive, get kills, and I just use RPGs as my "sniper" rifle. Toss on the +explosions, and I'm rocking 9 rockets. Come at me bro. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rad- said:
There better be 24/7 Karkand servers on consoles...

I'd settle with 24/7 Karkand and Wake. All I need.

U2NUMB said:
Anyone find the right Dr pepper bottles yet? Havent been able to locate any around me.

Uh... yeah? They've been available for YEARS now since the EA promotion started in ~2009, dude.

Just find one with "EVERY BOTTLE WINS"/EA logo. It doesn't matter what type of game is promoted on the bottle. It's just the code that is needed.

Finished co-op last night. Last mission was good times, but I think my favorite, by far, is the sniper protection mission. Felt like some Rainbow Six shit.

Operation Firestorm is reaching "Best of" levels for me in regards to Battlefield. Need to play Kharg a bit more, but really like it, and Canals is growing on me. Caspian is, as always, a blast.

There is an element missing from most maps that I sorely miss from Battlefield 2, and that's verticality. The Rush maps are full of them--moving up and down hills/mountainsides. CQ is pretty much a flat affair, however. Other than Caspian, certain parts of Noshahr Canals, and Tehran (which no one has played much of since it's laggy), it's just not there.

An EASY way to make Damavand go from "meh" to potentially "omg" would be opening the mountain up for travel. As long as spawn camping/sniping could be prevented, I think it would be glorious.

TheSeks said:
Because when it isn't spammed it's a decent tactical advantage to getting people off the crates.

Also holy shit you changed your name! D:

I'm going through changes. All my online names are Anton Sugar, so figured this would make it easier, since we have such a big PC GAF gaming group
which you should join.

And don't get me wrong--I think the mortar is fucking great. I just wish there was a better way to balance it in the smaller, urban maps where it's so easy to spam. In Mumble last night, we talked about how a Recon with the MAV + Support with Mortar = point and click kills.

blahness said:
You can also use any of the older EA Dr. Pepper codes for BF3 prizes. Codes do not need to come from the new BF3 labeled bottles.

God dammit.

Aeonin

zlatko said:
I agree with the sentiments about the sniper.

I haven't played the retail version yet - but is it foolish to think that a sniper/spotter combo could do a good job on the battlefield?

U2NUMB

TheSeks said:
I'd settle with 24/7 Karkand and Wake. All I need.

Uh... yeah? They've been available for YEARS now since the EA promotion started in ~2009, dude.

Just find one with "EVERY BOTTLE WINS"/EA logo. It doesn't matter what type of game is promoted on the bottle. It's just the code that is needed.

Ok great.. they show a specific bottle on their page so was looking for that.

TheSeks

Nabs said:
Wow, my BC2 Dr. Pepper codes finally came in handy.

I gave all mine away to 360 players since PS3 players didn't get shit for that promo.

:lol and cry.gif

Lanbeast

Anyone else sticking with one weapon to see how many mastery stars (or whatever they're called) they can get?

I'm at 5 stars with the M249. I have a buddy that plays assault most of the time so we work pretty well together.

I love how there's knife kill animations for standing, crouching and prone, AND all sides.

Just knifed someone that was lying down, turned him around and bam

zlatko

Banned
Aeonin said:
I haven't played the retail version yet - but is it foolish to think that a sniper/spotter combo could do a good job on the battlefield?

I'm drawing comparison to utility from Bad Company 2. I was able to do a lot more work with the amount of kills I could get, vehicles I could destroy, and heck I could even drop that air strike thing in areas where people were hold up tight.

That's why I'm wondering if the class gets more deadly later on here in BF3, because it's a bit of a struggle for myself to contribute as one if I'm not getting headshots 24/7.(Sorry bro it isn't going to happen...)

Nabs said:
Wow, my BC2 Dr. Pepper codes finally came in handy.

I must have thrown mine away in a drunken fit of rage.

JimmyBoy said:
Anyone know if Reserved slots are actually working for anyone? Mine don't seem to do anything.

Also, Hurray!

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/116535

No, not working yet, simply because we haven't had decent tools to use. Don't worry, I think BF3CC is releasing today, so we may be able to start playing with the server options soon and hopefully get the reserved slots working.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
TheSeks said:
I gave all mine away to 360 players since PS3 players didn't get shit for that promo.

:lol and cry.gif

I wish I would have kept mine. I threw them away in anger and swore off Dr. Pepper after the PS3 mess.

Nabs

Yep, I saved a text file and just never bothered to delete it. Anyone want to see if we can just share used codes? Here are a few I just registered

q60QRBD9VX44
N4JPRBDD3X0B

Megasoum

Banned
Darklord said:
Aw man. Would be nice if this shit wasn't always US only. I can't even buy Dr. Pepper here. :(

Like I said earlier, I just unlocked the camo and I'm in Canada. I bought a pack of 5 codes on Ebay for 2.50US! I had one leftover code from the Shift 2 promo so I got the camo right away and I am waiting on my new batch of 5 codes to get the tags.

Speaking of the camo, anybody tried it yet? Is it for all classes or just for the assault (they only show assault screenshot on the webpage).

anybody have an extra dr pepper code? i used mine and accidently put in my email address not affiliated with my EA account so it was a code wasted. didn't notice it said put in email of EA account. le sigh.

Megasoum

Banned
Nabs said:
Yep, I saved a text file and just never bothered to delete it. Anyone want to see if we can just share used codes? Here are a few I just registered

q60QRBD9VX44
N4JPRBDD3X0B

I just tried with my old codes and you can't re-use them. You used to be able at the beginning of the promo (back in BC2 I think or ME2) but they changed it when they realized that 90% of the people were using the same 5 codes hehehe.

TheSeks

big_z said:
can you unlock those dog tags any other way or is it with Dr pepper only?

Dr. Pepper only. There's also an "Act of Valor" promo that was only available in LA IIRC. So shit kinda sucks.

zlatko

Banned
Megasoum said:
Like I said earlier, I just unlocked the camo and I'm in Canada. I bought a pack of 5 codes on Ebay for 2.50US! I had one leftover code from the Shift 2 promo so I got the camo right away and I am waiting on my new batch of 5 codes to get the tags.

Speaking of the camo, anybody tried it yet? Is it for all classes or just for the assault (they only show assault screenshot on the webpage).

I've got a separate question about camo in this game and loadouts in general. Mine don't save. Camo never saves, but my weapon loadouts usually I have to reset and do over if I join a different server.

Anyone know if there is a workaround to this or if DICE is working on it ?

Nyx

Played 4 hours of MP today on the 360.

The more I play the more I enjoy myself, definitely liking this even more than BFBC2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
zlatko said:
I've got a separate question about camo in this game and loadouts in general. Mine don't save. Camo never saves, but my weapon loadouts usually I have to reset and do over if I join a different server.

Anyone know if there is a workaround to this or if DICE is working on it ?
Hopefully they are adding something to battlelog so you can also tweak classes outside of the game and save presets. Maybe then it would remember shit.

DietRob

Nabs said:

q60QRBD9VX44
N4JPRBDD3X0B

No worky.

We are sorry, but the code that you have entered has already been activated

zlatko said:
I agree with the sentiments about the sniper. There just isn't much value in the class overall compared to the others. In BC2 the tools it had early on for anti tank were great, and having multiple recon balls let you scout positions before you approached them. They had great utility, but now with being weaker in gun play AND to team dynamics it's "meh."

Don't get me wrong the respawn ability is a fantastic addition, but it's so easy to find them when they make such a loud noise for enemies to destroy. I also find teammates do not spawn on them often in my squad, and instead opt to just pop on my body instead.

What do snipers have to look forward to later on? Is it just an issue with their early game tools and weapons being shit, and then they get really scary later on, or were they too scared of making them deadly now that they put prone back in?

You can get more "sniping" done with AR/LMGs with scopes on them in prone I feel. :( This again goes back to a lot of the maps being better suited for mid range and close encounters.

I'll try to stick with it, but I find myself more and more playing Engineer to stay alive, get kills, and I just use RPGs as my "sniper" rifle. Toss on the +explosions, and I'm rocking 9 rockets. Come at me bro. :)

Recon can be very useful. In fact, now that I have the Javelin, I usually ask any Recon on the team to set up a SOFLAM in a busy area of the map, so I can lock on to targets. I'm sure that will be an infinitely valuable tool once a lot of people get their air-to-ground missiles unlocked for aircraft.

The Radio Beacon can be infinitely valuable, it's just that people need to start using them in inventive ways. Most people just put them in a decent spot near the front lines and that's it. In Rush, as a defender, put them as close up to the attacker's front as possible OR hidden near an MCOM so you can easily spawn and disarm. As an attacker, just do the opposite tactics--put them near an MCOM to let you easily spawn and arm or deep in defender territory.

I honestly haven't played much of the Recon or Support class at all so far (used Recon a bit in the beta)--been enjoying Engineer too much. How is the MAV? Is there enough points-incentive to use it?

never in a game have i had such trouble figuring out which gun i like best, i can only imagine how much harder it will be once all of them are unlocked. i guess this is a good problem to have though.

DietRob

If anyone has any fresh Dr. P codes they want to give to me I would be more than happy to accept them in PM.

Just sayin.

Jas

TSAGoodness said:
Can someone help me? PS3 version, I tried to play multiplayer last night but it said to go to battlelog.battlefield.com and enter my EA account, so I tried but I guess Origin was down or something. So this morning I went to that site again and logged in, but it won't let me, it just says "buy BF3 to enter battlelog" but the BF3 menu told me to go to battlelog first, wtf? I haven't even entered my online pass yet, I can't find where to do that.

You can enter your online code either through the Battlefield 3 Store (in game) or the Playstation Store.
I think in the Battlefield 3 store you press triangle to redeem a code, it tells you on the bottom what button to push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom