• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotBot

Foliorum Viridum said:
The second defensive point of Tehran Highway in Rush is AWFUL.

I hate it.
Attackers need to effectively use the AMTRAK mobile spawn. Just drive that sucker right onto the M-COM.

Bumhead

Banned
OK, executive decision time.

I have £35 in my bank right now. That will buy me BF3 at boxed retail. I wasn't going to bother but have the urge now and im sat at work, about to leave, thinking how nice it will be to pick up a new game. However, I did tell myself Arkham City was going to be the last game I was going to buy now and is the only one I've budgeted for.

Is Battlefield 3 good enough to break that budget right now? Is it good enough to incur THE WRATH OF THE WIFE? Do I need this game right now?

I'm a spineless, indecisive flump of a man and I absolutely need help with this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mat C said:
Is Battlefield 3 good enough to break that budget right now? Is it good enough to incur THE WRATH OF THE WIFE? Do I need this game right now?

Battlefield 3 is excellent, but sex is better.

Oh, wait, you're married.

Battlefield 3!

Darklord

Banned
What are peoples favourite maps so far? I haven't found any ones I really like yet. Normally a couple stand out beyond the rest in BF games for me but in this I'm kinda neutral to all of them. That said, I've only played about 2 hours of MP so maybe it's to early to tell.

hamchan

LiquidMetal14 said:
Exactly. People are just overly critical when it's a solid campaign. Nothing Oscar worthy but no one should expect that.
Well, of all the CoD type campaigns i've played this would go near the bottom end. Just all felt too familiar, so many moments that just reminded me of previous CoD campaigns. Also I felt like some of the levels went on for far too long until they got boring.

Mat C said:

I have £35 in my bank right now. That will buy me BF3 at boxed retail. I wasn't going to bother but have the urge now and im sat at work, about to leave, thinking how nice it will be to pick up a new game. However, I did tell myself Arkham City was going to be the last game I was going to buy now and is the only one I've budgeted for.

I'm a spineless, indecisive flump of a man and I absolutely need help with this.

Hold your ground if you're on a budget. Let DICE work the bugs out and grab it in a couple of months.

Tawpgun

F#A#Oo said:
The sniper rifles in this game are borked!

It is essentially a damage dealer so that others can take kills and you get assists...

I have to roll with a CQC weapons (shotty/sub) to get to the front lines because in 1 on 1 situations I lose...the class feels like the Tactician class in KZ2...I only exists to allow my team mates to spawn somewhere where they can be effective which is great and love love love it...BUT the sniper rifles are retarded...I have to shoot 3 times to get a kill.

I thought maybe I am doing it wrong so I stayed back and tried to pick others off and spot the enemies...at one point I even had a duel with another recon across the map and we exchanged hit markers several times...lol one of his shots took my life from 100% to 60%...and he managed to get a 2nd shot on me (semi-auto fire) and it pegged me down to 10%...

Essentially it takes 3 shots to kill...

I agree that sniper rifles should do OHK to the head only but in a practical terms it just doesn't work out...

I don't mind the semi's, but the sv98 got nerfed hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darklord said:
What are peoples favourite maps so far? I haven't found any ones I really like yet. Normally a couple stand out beyond the rest in BF games for me but in this I'm kinda neutral to all of them. That said, I've only played about 2 hours of MP so maybe it's to early to tell.

Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm, because they play like Battlefield maps should. Wake Island is also good.

Enco

Mat C said:

Have any money else where? Getting paid soon?

If not, I would give it a miss for now.

Darklord said:

Operation Firestorm and Caspian are the best. Metro is the worst

Bumhead

Banned
Enco said:
Have any money else where? Getting paid soon?

If not, I would give it a miss for now.

Oh yeah I get paid on Monday and BF3 isn't the difference between eating and not eating or anything as drastic as that. The budget is more to do with keeping myself under some sort of self control in retail times like this. I'm just curious if Battlefield 3 is good enough to break that budget for. I hoped it would be, then convinced myself it wouldn't be, but now im not sure again. Alot of folks seem to be enjoying it.

EatChildren

Darklord said:
I thought back to karkand map's weren't out yet?

What Nostalgia said. My bad!

So.. as an engineer, how many mines can you lay? I kept dying and planting them. I swear I had like 12 down.

I love it, but I'm definitely abusing it. Vehicles don't stand a chance against me.

Hixx

So I just got an email from Dice/EA welcoming me to the Open Beta. After last nights shenanigans, I wonder if its their attempt at humour.

ToD_

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying Grand Bazaar despite it being mostly infantry based. Yes, the alleyway can be a giant spamfest but at least in this map it gives you alternate routes to capture the other flags. So while everyone is busy with their giant shootout in the alleyway I'm capturing everything around it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
F#A#Oo said:
The sniper rifles in this game are borked!

It is essentially a damage dealer so that others can take kills and you get assists...

I have to roll with a CQC weapons (shotty/sub) to get to the front lines because in 1 on 1 situations I lose...the class feels like the Tactician class in KZ2...I only exists to allow my team mates to spawn somewhere where they can be effective which is great and love love love it...BUT the sniper rifles are retarded...I have to shoot 3 times to get a kill.

I thought maybe I am doing it wrong so I stayed back and tried to pick others off and spot the enemies...at one point I even had a duel with another recon across the map and we exchanged hit markers several times...lol one of his shots took my life from 100% to 60%...and he managed to get a 2nd shot on me (semi-auto fire) and it pegged me down to 10%...

Essentially it takes 3 shots to kill...

I agree that sniper rifles should do OHK to the head only but in a practical terms it just doesn't work out...

Only reasons I played a sniper was the c4 in BFBC2... they dont have it anymore the Tech has it... guess its bye bye Wookie ;)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Mat C said:
Oh yeah I get paid on Monday and BF3 isn't the difference between eating and not eating or anything as drastic as that. The budget is more to do with keeping myself under some sort of self control in retail times like this. I'm just curious if Battlefield 3 is good enough to break that budget for. I hoped it would be, then convinced myself it wouldn't be, but now im not sure again. Alot of folks seem to be enjoying it.

Game is great... just lots of bugs and frustration. Still one game I will be playing for a long time online... bugs always get fixed with dice... problem is just when!

Kud Dukan

ToD_ said:
I have to admit, I'm really enjoying Grand Bazaar despite it being mostly infantry based. Yes, the alleyway can be a giant spamfest but at least in this map it gives you alternate routes to capture the other flags. So while everyone is busy with their giant shootout in the alleyway I'm capturing everything around it.

Yeah, I've been enjoying that one quite a bit as well, basically for the reasons you stated. I'm also really enjoying Operation Firestorm and Caspian Border. Really, the only map that I can say that I outright hate (atleast for 64-player conquest that is) is Operation Metro.

EatChildren said:
Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm, because they play like Battlefield maps should. Wake Island is also good.

The canal one is pretty good, too. I don't find any of them great, however. Even in Caspian the points seem kind of clustered together in the middle with the spawns a mile away, and Firestorm has so much wasted space it's ridiculous. There's that whole area with the oil tanks that's not even used that would have been a perfect spot for a cap.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Kud Dukan said:
Yeah, I've been enjoying that one quite a bit as well, basically for the reasons you stated. I'm also really enjoying Operation Firestorm and Caspian Border. Really, the only map that I can say that I outright hate (atleast for 64-player conquest that is) is Operation Metro.

Strangely I am, having more fun on small player count maps...24 seems perfect. 64 is just boring...die spawn die...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
ToD_ said:

I like the map BECAUSE it's infantry based. I'm not above getting into an lav or tank and blowing holes in stuff, and I think the balance on most maps is actually pretty great, but I just prefer infantry combat. I'm having a lot of fun shooting down helicopters, though, with my missiles.

Enco

Mat C said:
In that case, go for it :p

Should last you a loooong time. Then you can game budget properly :p

GodofWine

TSAGoodness said:
Can someone help me? PS3 version, I tried to play multiplayer last night but it said to go to battlelog.battlefield.com and enter my EA account, so I tried but I guess Origin was down or something. So this morning I went to that site again and logged in, but it won't let me, it just says "buy BF3 to enter battlelog" but the BF3 menu told me to go to battlelog first, wtf? I haven't even entered my online pass yet, I can't find where to do that.

Did you enter your online pass code that came with the game? I never signed up on battlelog and can play fine, battlelog is optional as far as I can tell?

---------------------

Is there anywhere in this game that give actually useful weapon info? like damage / range / rate of fire???? I know it tells range in the kit setup, but I've not found any info as to range / damage? Ive never seen a FPS make certain simple things so darn hard to do.
(but, the game is stellar, assuming the bugs are patched out.)

Salacious Crumb

Snkfanatic said:
Ya tried to play metro on CQ last night and it was terrible...nothing but a camping fest and rocket spam on both sides

I just finished playing a round of a CQ on metro and yep, it just turns into a cluster fuck of rocket spam at the CP in the up stairs metro area. It's so easy to rack up points as a medic in those situations though so it's all good :)

Enkidu

DarkoMaledictus said:
Isn t Damavand the one in the Mountains were you parachutes out to attack a base at the bottom of the mountain... that was genius... anyway that one is my favorite! Yeah Metro, Seine... even Bazard are not so great!
That's probably how it plays out on Rush. However on Conquest it's just a big ass tunnel with OMG EXPLOSIONS and PEW PEW PEW going on all around you. It's a horrible map. The sad thing is, if they had just added two small paths with a flag each going around the tunnel it could probably have been a really cool one.

Miggytronz

http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea/

Dr.Pepper is doing promo stuff again for Battlefield, giving away multiplayer CAMO and Dog Tags!

Multiplayer skin
full-skin.png

full-ps3Avatar.png

DOG TAGS
full-friday.png
full-teeth.png

full-wolves.png
full-bones.png

full-kitty.png

Miggytronz

Genesis Knight said:
So with these is there a certain prize code in the bottle or do you get to use a code to redeem one of the prizes (your choice which)?
get the code from the bottle, register to Dr.Pepper, choose which one you want.

Megasoum

Banned
Or do like I do (since I'm in Canada I don't even have access to the codes in store)... I buy sets of 5 codes for like 4-5$ on Ebay. I did it with Bad Company and Shift 2 and worked perfectly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anton Sugar said:
Why the fuck did they think infinite ammo was a good idea?

Because when it isn't spammed it's a decent tactical advantage to getting people off the crates.

Also holy shit you changed your name! D:

Rad-

Foliorum Viridum said:
So.. as an engineer, how many mines can you lay? I kept dying and planting them. I swear I had like 12 down.

I love it, but I'm definitely abusing it. Vehicles don't stand a chance against me.

It's 6. But each time you die you can plant 3 more. So yeah it's bugged atm.

kitch9 said:
Where's that facepalm gif?

KuGsj.gif
I deserve it, I know. Thing is I'm colour-blind and though it was an issue on my end...

So at no point in time are my teammates orange? Shit, I've let so many people off scot-free...
LLShC.gif

RS4- said:
If it is, I have to find someone in the US to get some for me :(

The prizes from the last promotion didn't work on non US game accounts, hopefully it's different this time round. At least they didn't on the 360.

Megasoum

Banned
OgTheClever said:
Some of those dog tags look great, but is this a US only promotion?

I think you can only find the bottles with codes inside in the US but I bought codes on ebay and they work fine even if I'm in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom