• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipswitch

Mikasangelos said:
take a peek at this........http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624701763691/

Anyone whos playing on XBOX should read that thread there.

I uninstalled both disks, the update and the texture pack and just re-installed the texture pack and update. I'll be surprised if there's any quality difference or loading time improvements to be honest - a lot of the comments in that thread are of the pie in the sky variety IMO.

I'll report back if I notice anything substantive, good or bad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've been playing with people who seem to be magically able to home on me even without any way of being able to see me, or having the motion radar set. Any idea what thatcould be all about?

RotBot said:
Is this a joke post or are you serious?

Servers with majority of players being engineers and doing rocket spam on infantry make it quite clear. Rockets were crap against infantry in BC2 outside of the carl gustav which was an anti personnel launcher. Even with a flak vest perk on, basic rpgs take out infantry with ease. They all come off as Carl Gustavs now instead of anti tank rockets

RotBot

BattleMonkey said:
Servers with majority of players being engineers and doing rocket spam on infantry make it quite clear. Rockets were crap against infantry in BC2 outside of the carl gustav which was an anti personnel launcher. Even with a flak vest perk on, basic rpgs take out infantry with ease. They all come off as Carl Gustavs now instead of anti tank rockets
If you're excluding the CG, then sure. I still don't agree they're OP against infantry. Most people I've seen aren't good enough to get kills when there isn't a nearby wall to shoot. There's no jump and point down instakill.

iam220

Chittagong said:
I've been playing with people who seem to be magically able to home on me even without any way of being able to see me, or having the motion radar set. Any idea what thatcould be all about?

It could be that flying drone, or it could just be the good ol IRNV.

Deadly said:
Huh.. The nerf seems to bring it to appropriate levels.

Would you use it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How many patches have they released for the PC version so far?

Have any of them actually hit the 360 yet?

iam220 said:
Balance. The engineer is an anti-vehicle class and not an anti infantry. As-is it is the best, most rounded class in the game. Suitable for all situations.

Absolutely.

I'd argue that the support class is just as good after c4 is unlocked.

RotBot said:
If you're excluding the CG, then sure. I still don't agree they're OP against infantry. Most people I've seen aren't good enough to get kills when there isn't a nearby wall to shoot.

CG gustav at least was made for the infantry killing purpose, it was crappy against armor. Here it would be a nice compromise especially since armor is more common in BF3, but the launchers here are just as good against infantry and against armor.

Choke on the Magic said:

Using C4 takes quite a bit more skill having to get in close to a live vehicle or placing charges and hoping the target goes to the right spot like a remote activated mine.

iam220 said:
Would you use it?

I would still in situations that involve close in combat. Pistols with tac lights are fantastic in a cqb situation. On a main gun, only if i'm going to be spawning in a tight area or going into a building interior that is dark. The blinding feature is very helpful.

I don't know how RPG's stack up next to the Assault's M320 but I absolutely love that thing. Almost every time someone ducks into cover or is hanging out in a window or a small tower it's a guaranteed kill. I just went over 100 with it last night.

I know Engineers are great but I still play Assault almost exclusively. AEK-971 + Holo + Foregrip + Suppressor is just too good to pass up.

Binabik15

Rainy Dog said:
Yeah, I don't think so either. Looking at the damage values only tells one part of the tale. It's RPM, high recoil and 20 round mag balances it fairly. A handful of other guns need adjusting but not the Scar.
I get killed with G36Cs and the weird looking engi gun way more often than with the SCAR.

But I'll take any gun nerf if the PP2000 gets better again. I preferred the SCAR-L in BC2, but I still love how ridiculous the big buff soldiers look with that tiny gun.

BattleMonkey said:
CG gustav at least was made for the infantry killing purpose, it was crappy against armor. Here it would be a nice compromise especially since armor is more common in BF3, but the launchers here are just as good against infantry and against armor.

Using C4 takes quite a bit more skill having to get in close to a live vehicle or placing charges and hoping the target goes to the right spot like a remote activated mine.

I would still in situations that involve close in combat. Pistols with tac lights are fantastic in a cqb situation. On a main gun, only if i'm going to be spawning in a tight area or going into a building interior that is dark. The blinding feature is very helpful.

That's how I use it. Unlimited frags with support is nice too.

commish said:
Yes, there should be a cooldown on repair. As it is now, even if I unload 9 rockets into a tank, it won't die if someone is behind it repairing it. I just can't unload enough damage fast enough.

There is a cooldown, it's just pretty insignificant in this state.

Choke on the Magic said:
Question; how do you toggle firing options, flashlight, and lasersights?

On PC it's V and T. No idea on consoles.

ElyrionX

The problem with the engineer class is that they gave them goddamn assault rifles because they needed to put the SMGs in the universal unlocks section to accommodate their stupid-ass class and progression system. That was the biggest mistake. Engineers with SMGs + rockets would solve ALL problems just like how it was in past BFs. Now, they got to nerf the engineer's carbines to SMG-like levels probably. What's the point then?

U2NUMB

Ok so we can all agree a great way to combat IR is to release new Camo which someone could put on whatever kit they want.

iam220

BattleMonkey said:

Indeed, they are good ... in their current state :p

Choke on the Magic said:

C4 is very situation specific. Great against tank noobs, great if you get lucky, but most other times rockets+mines (but mostly rockets) are far more reliable as an anti-vehicle weapon. Plus I'd choose the SCAR over an MG most of the time.

Binabik15 said:
I get killed with G36Cs and the weird looking engi gun way more often than with the SCAR.

But I'll take any gun nerf if the PP2000 gets better again. I preferred the SCAR-L in BC2, but I still love how ridiculous the big buff soldiers look with that tiny gun.

SCAR is an early unlock so think thats why it gets most attention. The G36 is great as looking down sights and shooting, you get very minimal spread making it possibly much deadlier than the scar

BattleMonkey said:
SCAR is an early unlock so think thats why it gets most attention. The G36 is great as looking down sights and shooting, you get very minimal spread making it possibly much deadlier than the scar

Hum wierd, I just started using the G36 and it feels like it has a bigger spread then the SCAR. It does seem more powerful in close quarters though.

GJS

Binabik15 said:

You must be letting people get too close to you if you are getting killed by the G36C, that thing is horrible at even a short distance.

The SCAR-H kills in 3 shots close to medium range and 5 shots at a distance, and those 5 shots are really easy to get in semi-automatic mode.

The G36C kills in 4 shots close range, 6 shots at a distance but getting those 6 shots at a distance is significantly harder with the G36C.

artist

Banned
Anybody else use the MAV (flying bot) in Tehran Highway? Its fucking glorious and will always get you the win :D I just made more than 120 spot bonuses and was MVP2 without a single kill.

Metalmurphy said:
Hum wierd, I just started using the G36 and it feels like it has a bigger spread then the SCAR. It does seem more powerful in close quarters though.

To me the Scar has more recoil plus the 36 has a 30 round clip too making it easier to spray with

Dipswitch

Choke on the Magic said:
Question; how do you toggle firing options, flashlight, and lasersights?

Up on the D pad to toggle laser/flashlight. Down to toggle firing rate. That's how it is on the 360 version anyway.

4010118695_bc90523025.jpg

New anti IRNV dlc

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't know how RPG's stack up next to the Assault's M320 but I absolutely love that thing. Almost every time someone ducks into cover or is hanging out in a window or a small tower it's a guaranteed kill. I just went over 100 with it last night.

I know Engineers are great but I still play Assault almost exclusively. AEK-971 + Holo + Foregrip + Suppressor is just too good to pass up.

AEK, yum. What a fantastic weapon. I picked it up yesterday off a fallen foe and it was the best feeling gun I've used yet.

If a map had no vehicles, there would be far less engineers. The more I play, the more I realize that the problem with engineers is that assault can't counter vehicles at all. I don't pick engineering because it has better guns (it doesn't), but because I don't want my options against a tank to be 1) hide or 2) die.

I have over 160 RPG kills, so I'm not a stranger to launching a rocket in someone's face. The M320 is pretty good compared to the RPG for anti-infantry purposes; it's harder to aim but the reload seems faster. I haven't used it as much, though.

King_Moc

Banned
I choose Engineer and pretty much exclusively go for tanks. It's best for points and those things clean up if someone doesn't get them. Also, blowing stuff up is fun.

commish said:
AEK, yum. What a fantastic weapon. I picked it up yesterday off a fallen foe and it was the best feeling gun I've used yet.

If a map had no vehicles, there would be far less engineers. The more I play, the more I realize that the problem with engineers is that assault can't counter vehicles at all. I don't pick engineering because it has better guns (it doesn't), but because I don't want my options against a tank to be 1) hide or 2) die.

I have over 160 RPG kills, so I'm not a stranger to launching a rocket in someone's face. The M320 is pretty good compared to the RPG for anti-infantry purposes; it's harder to aim but the reload seems faster. I haven't used it as much, though.
Yeah, there are certain maps (Caspian and Firestorm in particular) where I really feel like I have to play Engineer or I'm at a severe disadvantage. Then again, I feel like I'm at an advantage playing Assault on other maps (like Damavand, Metro, Seine, and Grand Bazaar). I just feel like I get a lot less kick from some of the AR's at range versus weapons like the SCAR.

ElyrionX said:
Does the M320 do anything at all against tanks? How about humvees, LAVs and jeeps?
It does some damage but not much, maybe 20% against a tank? I'm not sure. It's decent against lighter vehicles though, one or two grenades to disable and one or two more to finish it off. I don't know what the numbers are though so I could be wrong, this is all just based on my personal experience so the vehicles may have already been damaged or I could have been getting some help.

I was planning on progressing through each class until I unlocked all of each's weapons. Having completed Assault I moved on to Engineer. Honestly, I don't feel as ridiculously overpowered as people on here would have you believe. The AEK-971 and M416 are great weapons at range I felt engineers carbines are good, but they don't touch assault. I'll probably go back to assault when I complete them all.

iam220

^^ you playing with the default guns as an engi?

commish said:
I don't pick engineering because it has better guns (it doesn't)

It does. It won't once the SCAR nerf comes in, but currently it does. Even once the SCAR gets nerfed and assault officially has the better weapons , the difference will not be nearly big enough to justify going assault on vehicle heavy maps, but at least assault will be the better choice on infantry-focused maps.

Rainy Dog

GJS said:
You must be letting people get too close to you if you are getting killed by the G36C, that thing is horrible at even a short distance.

The SCAR-H kills in 3 shots close to medium range and 5 shots at a distance, and those 5 shots are really easy to get in semi-automatic mode.

The G36C kills in 4 shots close range, 6 shots at a distance but getting those 6 shots at a distance is significantly harder with the G36C.

The Scar has much more kick than the G36 at full auto. The G36 is extremely accurate with a foregrip at full auto in comparison.

iam220 said:
It does. It won't once the SCAR nerf comes in, but currently it does. Even once the SCAR gets nerfed and assault officially has the better weapons , the difference will not be nearly big enough to justify going assault on vehicle heavy maps, but at least assault will be the better choice on infantry-focused maps.
I disagree. I've got about 150 kills using the SCAR and it doesn't even compare to the AEK-971, in my opinion. The AEK is far superior at range and it isn't limited by the small clip. The SCAR has the advantage up close though.

commish

iam220 said:

SCAR has more recoil than most other weapons it seems to me. I'm not saying you can't compensate for it, but I never really felt that it was overpowered.

ElyrionX

So, after playing recon exclusively for the past week or so and unlocking the M98B, I went back to the other classes this week and have been pretty much rolling with the engineer most of the time (when I'm not a recon rocking the M98B). Compared to recon, this class is an absolute breeze to play. You just run to the objectives and shoot at tanks or soldiers with your weapons. Lay down some mines or repair vehicles for extra bonus points! As a recon, I was consistently languishing in mid-table mediocrity but as an engineer, I instantly shot up to the top and was consistently top 5 in my team. The points are just so easy to come by.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that all three bolt action rifles sound virtually the same. I was hoping that the M98B would have an awesome sound effect but it sounds like any other gun in the game.

commish said:
SCAR has more recoil than most other weapons it seems to me. I'm not saying you can't compensate for it, but I never really felt that it was overpowered.
My feelings exactly. Whenever I go from Assault to Engi and start using the SCAR I'm always thinking about how huge the circle is in the Holo sight and how much the thing kicks. I wouldn't say I've never had a good run with it but it doesn't feel OP to me. When I think OP I think M60 in the early BC2 days.

GJS

Rainy Dog said:
The Scar has much more kick than the G36 at full auto. The G36 is extremely accurate with a foregrip at full auto in comparison.
Kick doesn't bother me, if I'm in full auto mode I fire bursts, I hate going trigger happy and from my experience bursting with the G36C is horrible comparatively.

Shots with the G36C never go where I want them too compared to the how the other weapons perform for me, the SCAR never let me down and neither did the A91.

iam220

The_Darkest_Red said:
I disagree. I've got about 150 kills using the SCAR and it doesn't even compare to the AEK-971, in my opinion. The AEK is far superior at range and it isn't limited by the small clip. The SCAR has the advantage up close though.

That I'll have to disagree with. They're both competent guns at range. I would not say one is far superior to the other, at least from my experience. The small clip is a bit of a hindrance but enemies drop so fast with it that it's not that big of an issue. I'll say this, if the SCAR in its current form was an assault weapon, than it would be my assault weapon of choice.

GJS

iam220 said:
That I'll have to disagree with. They're both competent guns at range. I would not say one is far superior to the other, at least from my experience. The small clip is a bit of a hindrance but enemies drop so fast with it that it's not that big of an issue. I'll say this, if the SCAR in its current form was an assault weapon, than it would be my assault weapon of choice.
How does the G3A3 size up against the SCAR-H?
They both have similar damage tables but the G3A3 does significantly more damage at range, I haven't personally used the G3A3 yet so I don't know how it handles.

iam220 said:
How much have you used the AEK? Seriously, it's not even close, the amount of kick is so minor compared to the SCAR. I don't think the SCAR is incompetent at range, I just think it's significantly inferior to the AEK.

iam220 said:

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not scoring good and therefore don't feel overpowered. I'm having great rounds, it just feels like a different class and not much else.

To be honest, when I notice guys really dominating in the game. They are more often than not support. I haven't played support yet so can't comment on them personally.

commish

GJS said:
Kick doesn't bother me, if I'm in full auto mode I fire bursts, I hate going trigger happy and from my experience bursting with the G36C is horrible comparatively.

Shots with the G36C never go where I want them too compared to the how the other weapons perform for me, the SCAR never let me down and neither did the A91.

Ha, aren't those both guns that are getting a nerf? :)

Re the G36C, it's now my go-to weapon of choice. You don't really have to fire in bursts because the recoil is so manageable.

iam220

GJS said:
How does the G3A3 size up against the SCAR-H?
They both have similar damage tables but the G3A3 does significantly more damage at range, I haven't personally used the G3A3 yet so I don't know how it handles.

That I don't know, haven't played co-op yet and really really don't want to. From what I heard it's not as good as the SCAR, but yeah I have had no first hand experience with it.

Also, maybe it's just because I've only used it for 20 minutes or so but the AN-94 seems significantly more difficult to use effectively than it was in BC2. It was probably my favorite gun in BC2 but now it just feels kind of... awkward. Anyone else have an opinion on it?

iam220

The_Darkest_Red said:
How much have you used the AEK? Seriously, it's not even close, the amount of kick is so minor compared to the SCAR. I don't think the SCAR is incompetent at range, I just think it's significantly inferior to the AEK.

The AEK is my preferred assault weapon, but lately I've all but abandoned that class. What type of range are we talking about here? For significant distances I use single shot so the kick is not much of an issue on the SCAR. It's very competent at range, with my IRNV sometimes I just prone on the hill in Caspian and pick off the snipers camping in the forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom