• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Also, maybe it's just because I've only used it for 20 minutes or so but the AN-94 seems significantly more difficult to use effectively than it was in BC2. It was probably my favorite gun in BC2 but now it just feels kind of... awkward. Anyone else have an opinion on it?
Didn't care for it.

iam220 said:
The AEK is my preferred assault weapon, but lately I've all but abandoned that class. What type of range are we talking about here? For significant distances I use single shot so the kick is not much of an issue on the SCAR. It's very competent at range, with my IRNV sometimes I just prone on the hill in Caspian and pick off the snipers camping in the forest.
Well I think most guns are equally decent when it comes to taking pea-shots at guys hundreds of meters away but I'm talking more like mid-long range. I'm not sure what it would be in feet/meters but think of the average encounter in the outside area of Metro but slightly farther.

The_Darkest_Red said:
How much have you used the AEK? Seriously, it's not even close, the amount of kick is so minor compared to the SCAR. I don't think the SCAR is incompetent at range, I just think it's significantly inferior to the AEK.

I've used the AEK and I'm not really a fan. Long range damage seems too weak.

Anton Sugar said:
I've used the AEK and I'm not really a fan. Long range damage seems too weak.
Interesting, maybe I'm just missing out on the potential of some of the other guns by not using them much. I've got 849 kills with the AEK right now so when I hit 1000 I'll probably try something else. Regardless, I've had a lot of success with it at basically any range. What's your weapon of choice for ranged encounters?

iam220

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well I think most guns are equally decent when it comes to taking pea-shots at guys hundreds of meters away but I'm talking more like mid-long range. I'm not sure what it would be in feet/meters but think of the average encounter in the outside area of Metro but slightly farther.

So like 40-60 meters (very common)? SCAR is very competent at that range. You have to watch the kick of course, but the damage more than makes up for it. Unless you're using either the SCAR or AEK much differently than I am; I just can't agree with your assessment. If the SCAR showed the slightest bit of incompetence at medium range I would never have made it my weapon of choice.

Marvie_3

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
4010118695_bc90523025.jpg

New anti IRNV dlc
:lol

Need a mod to update thread title to: Flashlight nerf/IRNV tweaks planned

The_Darkest_Red said:
Interesting, maybe I'm just missing out on the potential of some of the other guns by not using them much. I've got 849 kills with the AEK right now so when I hit 1000 I'll probably try something else. Regardless, I've had a lot of success with it at basically any range. What's your weapon of choice for ranged encounters?

Think I just need to use the AEK more (just unlocked it a few days ago), as I like the rate of fire, but it just doesn't feel very punchy. SCAR on semi is good for long range kills, but I play mostly engy (or I did), so I didn't really have much luck in many long range firefights.

M4A1 is a beast at close/mid range, and very underrated.

iam220 said:
So like 40-60 meters (very common)? SCAR is very competent at that range. You have to watch the kick of course, but the damage more than makes up for it. Unless you're using either the SCAR or AEK much differently than I am; I just can't agree with your assessment. If the SCAR showed the slightest bit of incompetence at medium range I would never have made it my weapon of choice.
I guess I just like how I don't have to worry about kick as much with the AEK. More damage is nice and no one wants a gun that shoots cotton balls but I feel like the AEK strikes a nice balance. If I played almost exclusively with the SCAR for a good while I might see things more your way though, I would just have to take the time to adjust a bit. The key difference we're having is obviously that you think the damage makes up for it whereas my experience doesn't necessarily confirm that to me. It's most likely just a difference in play-style and what we're accustomed to.

Also, I'm playing on console (PS3) so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it.

iam220

Anton Sugar said:
Need a mod to update thread title to: Flashlight nerf/IRNV tweaks planned

Really? That's been confirmed?

The_Darkest_Red said:
Also, I'm playing on console (PS3) so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it.

Oh yes, that has everything to do with it. DICE should really balance each version separately, I don't think it makes sense to have a one-size-fits all approach to balancing both consoles and PC's when considering the significant control differences.

I feel like the Scar is a damn beast. Going toe-to-toe with my AEK and it feels like the scar has way less kick and is more accurate at med. distance.

iam220

The_Darkest_Red said:
Oh my goodness... this is really embarrassing... you can change the rate of fire on some weapons?

Heh, that's okay I only recently learned that you can hold your breath for all weapons and not just snipers ...

def sim

The SCAR is a beast. Hells of underplaying in this thread. If support class can handle their LMG's to be accurate enough to fight long range, I'm sure the engi's will do just fine with their baby man recoil gun.

mbmonk

Have any of you ran the MAV + Mortar combo? How effective is it?

So for example, playing Conquest on Caspian Border if you have a 4 man squad defending the "Hill Top". And you have a 4 man squad attacking that objective ( 2 doing the MAV + Mortar ) other two assaulting the objective.. could 2 attackers take out 4 defenders?

I am just getting into messing with the mortar now; so I am just churning ideas around in my head.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mbmonk said:
Have any of you ran the MAV + Mortar combo? How effective is it?

So for example, playing Conquest on Caspian Border if you have a 4 man squad defending the "Hill Top". And you have a 4 man squad attacking that objective ( 2 doing the MAV + Mortar ) other two assaulting the objective.. could 2 attackers take out 4 defenders?

I am just getting into messing with the mortar now; so I am just churning ideas around in my head.

It is fantastic on the Market map. Particularly in the alley and market. MAV to keep everyone spotted, mortar away for supression if not kills, points roll in.

I have yet to use it on a wide open map, but I imagine it would work well against the hill and gas station on Caspian.

iam220

^ Yeah thats what I thought, all weapons have sway from what I've noticed.

Anton Sugar said:
Yes, Demize tweeted it earlier. Posted a few pages back, he just confirmed it's being tweaked.

Fantastic. Also looking through his tweets he mentions that each weapon has 5000 different variables. What? That sounds crazy. I can't imagine needing that many to describe the different aspects of each gun. Anyone know what his referring to?

Kak.efes

ElyrionX said:
Does the M320 do anything at all against tanks? How about humvees, LAVs and jeeps?

Waste of ammo against heavy armor (I have extensive experience with this), I'd say it does about 10-15% against tanks, and similar vehicles, but against buggys, it's one shot, one kill, against humvees/transport vehicles, it's one shot, one disable, and another to destroy it.

tsigo

iam220 said:
Fantastic. Also looking through his tweets he mentions that each weapon has 5000 different variables. What? That sounds crazy. I can't imagine needing that many to describe the different aspects of each gun. Anyone know what his referring to?

Probably refers to the possible number of combinations between the three attachment types.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
iam220 said:
It's how he deflects accusations of being a talentless weapon balancer.

FStop7

Banned
rance said:
The SCAR is a beast. Hells of underplaying in this thread. If support class can handle their LMG's to be accurate enough to fight long range, I'm sure the engi's will do just fine with their baby man recoil gun.

I've been more accurate with the A-91 than the SCAR. Still trying to get used to the G36.

I don't get why the SCAR and G36 aren't available to the assault class, those rifles are the bread and butter of infantry.

If anything, the Engineer class should be equipped with a shotgun or PDW as primary and a launcher as secondary. Not carbines or assault rifles.

demonkaze

Anybody here also picked up MW3? I'm on the fence at the moment, could be the hype getting to me. I love BF3 and i'm playing it a lot but i'm also thinking about picking up MW3 as well for those times when I want to go around aimlessly shooting people in the face.
Worth picking up or not?

demonkaze said:
Anybody here also picked up MW3? I'm on the fence at the moment, could be the hype getting to me. I love BF3 and i'm playing it a lot but i'm also thinking about picking up MW3 as well for those times when I want to go around aimlessly shooting people in the face.
Worth picking up or not?
Probably a discussion you don't want to raise here.

I'd try this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431149&page=67
or this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450471&page=101

Personally I'm not planning on picking it up. I have the last 4 on PS3 but this one looks like more of the same and I'd rather focus on BF3. I enjoyed Black Ops but I thought MW2 was awful, and MW3 looks to relish in that awfulness.

demonkaze said:
Worth picking up or not?

This would be much better answered in the garbage or COD thread.

FWIW, I'm sort of in the same boat. I really enjoyed the pared down, "simple" nature of COD4 and the little I played of Black Ops, but wasn't a fan of MW2 at all and the pandemonium in it. Not sure where MW3 resides on that scale.

And I know it's not the norm, but I get kinda bored with COD.

Mothman91

demonkaze said:
Worth picking up or not?
Lemme say this through what me and a few friends were thinking after picking up mw3, we all regretted it after the awesome bf3 was giving us. Moving from bf3 to mw3, was so bad IMO. About to trade me copy in and get maybe Arkham asylum or just leave it there for credit.

iam220 said:

Not sure on 5000 for each weapon, assume they are counting things like how the gun operates with such and such attachment, when used from hip, when moving, when aimed, aiming + moving, crouched modes, prone. You got all the other factors common that will be different... speed, ads variable, recoil, weapon spread, rpm, power, bullet drop, power degredation over range, power vs different target types, etc...

I'm sure there are many factors, though hard to believe they have to check 5000 variables for each weapon

lol

Mortar spam is reaching ridiculous levels now that more and more people are using them. Some of the small maps like Seine Crossing with 4 mortars is just...
lol.gif

ziadoz

Neo Member
Any word on whether or not the PS3 input lag bug will be fixed in the next patch? I can live with the flashlights, IRVN scope and the odd overpowered weapon, but the controls are incredibly frustrating.

Metalmurphy said:
lol

Mortar spam is reaching ridiculous levels now that more and more people are using them. Some of the small maps like Seine Crossing with 4 mortars is just...
lol.gif

are you playing Rush? Never really had trouble with mortars outside of Rush where defenders get raped by mortar spam. Don't see it much in conquest since most people are spread out more.

BattleMonkey said:
are you playing Rush? Never really had trouble with mortars outside of Rush where defenders get raped by mortar spam. Don't see it much in conquest since most people are spread out more.

It's terrible in CQ. People sit in their spawn area where they can't be reached and mortar with abandon. All you can do is counter-mortar.

jorma

is now taking requests
i mainly play rush on ps3 and mortars are still really uncommon there, no more than 3-4 deaths to mortar. I have about 130 kills with it myself though. =)

Confidence Man said:
It's terrible in CQ. People sit in their spawn area where they can't be reached and mortar with abandon. All you can do is counter-mortar.

But it's really easy to do. Basically a free kill.

Confidence Man said:

It's not very effective in conquest especially in the large maps unless everyone is hoarding around a spot for defense, but that is also kind of the point of using mortars. Also easy to stop with any competent air power on your team. Always best to use the chat box when possible to notify the air power to go after the mortars which are marked on the map.

The m16 and ak with 7x and 6x scope are beast goddamn. Those two guns are pretty much sniper rifles with heavy barrel, bi-pod and 7x or 6x scope. I can't wait to see how the G3 handles in long range shooting. Whoever says the carbine rifles are equal to the ARs in BF3 don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Counter-mortar is so trivially easy I don't know why people complain so much about mortars. It only takes one mortar to kill the enemy and destroy his mortar, meanwhile if somebody tries to counter-counter you've already moved on and all he gets is 20 points for the tube you left behind.

Nizz

ziadoz said:
Any word on whether or not the PS3 input lag bug will be fixed in the next patch? I can live with the flashlights, IRVN scope and the odd overpowered weapon, but the controls are incredibly frustrating.
I'm waiting to hear on this as well. Controls are the only thing keeping me from playing the game right now.

PatzCU

cobragt4001 said:
The m16 and ak with 7x and 6x scope are beast goddamn. Those two guns are pretty much sniper rifles with heavy barrel, bi-pod and 7x or 6x scope. I can't wait to see how the G3 handles in long range shooting. Whoever says the carbine rifles are equal to the ARs in BF3 don't know what the hell they're talking about.

So heavy barrel increases long range accuracy? I've pretty much stuck exclusively to an AEK with Holo sight and Foregrip, but it realllly is not ideal for long range fighting. Takes about 6-7 shots to take someone out at range and the recoil is all over the place (absolutely destroys people up close, of course).

I might have to try out the M16A4 with bipod+heavy barrel for the larger maps. Thanks for the tip!

mr_nothin

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Counter-mortar is so trivially easy I don't know why people complain so much about mortars. It only takes one mortar to kill the enemy and destroy his mortar, meanwhile if somebody tries to counter-counter you've already moved on and all he gets is 20 points for the tube you left behind.
Wtf kind of argument is that?
I have to gain and unlock a mortar in order to deal (read as contribute) with the mortar spamming problem.
So you add mortars to stop mortar spamming? Great!

Also, mortars themselves wouldnt be too much of a problem if they were implemented
correctly. Why are ppl allowed to just keep spamming away? Why are they allowed to just chill in their own base and spam away? Why are they allowed to spam away in rush where
everyone is concentrated into 1 place? Why is there no limit on the amount of mortars per
team/per game?

I've been on Seine Crossing and each team had 4 mortars going. It was completely stupid.

Proxy

Anton Sugar said:
This would be much better answered in the garbage or COD thread.

FWIW, I'm sort of in the same boat. I really enjoyed the pared down, "simple" nature of COD4 and the little I played of Black Ops, but wasn't a fan of MW2 at all and the pandemonium in it. Not sure where MW3 resides on that scale.

And I know it's not the norm, but I get kinda bored with COD.

COD is only able to hold my attention for about a month and after that I start regretting spending $60 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom