• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

I'm hoping someone might know the answer to this: if I download BF3 from UK PSN store, will I be able to play online using my US account or do I need to be signed into the UK account? Thanks!!!

CatPee

JB1981 said:
I'm hoping someone might know the answer to this: if I download BF3 from UK PSN store, will I be able to play online using my US account or do I need to be signed into the UK account? Thanks!!!

Once it's downloaded to your PS3, you can play it on whatever other accounts you have on the console.

JB1981

CatPee said:
Once it's downloaded to your PS3, you can play it on whatever other accounts you have on the console.
You are sure? ;)

I created a UK account specifically for this game. I like the idea of having it on the HDD

Kahoona

Stingers need a range nerf, holy fuck. They should NOT have the same rang as the mobile AA's missiles. They can lock on half the map away on Caspian.

CatPee

JB1981 said:
You are sure? ;)

I created a UK account specifically for this game. I like the idea of having it on the HDD

Yep. Just remember that you'll have to buy a UK PSN card if you ever want to buy Back to Karkand/any other future DLCs, as they're region-locked.

Wthermans

Banned
commish said:
Yeah, I am. If a tank and two people allow an engineer to fire NINE rockets into a tank, the tank should be dead.
No it shouldn't. A single person shouldn't be able to take down a tank that has another player doing nothing but standing behind it and left-clicking.

Flank and Kill the Engineer, then take down the tank or coordinate fire on it. BF is a team based game/franchise for a reason. Don't fuck it up cause you want to go Joe Rambo on a tank from range.

OldJadedGamer said:
Only the bad players. Now you will have to earn your kills instead of knifing recons.

:(

I'm a recon...and I get knifed a bit.

Is recon supposed to be easy-mode or something?

Truthfully...I get so few kills but setting up the spawn beacon in a clever spot and using the soflam.

It's really satisfying sneaking up bit by bit, shooting at the odd person but seeing a steady stream of "spawn on you" XP and "spotted kill" XP.

I'm new to the Battlefield thing so maybe I'm not getting "it"?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So, what's the best keyboard/mouse control config for helis/jets? There's got to be something better and more intuitive than the default scheme.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Patrick Bateman said:
Goddamnit does the SKS suck. I want my M40. :(
Yup, you're better using a PDW if you want to play Special Forces with Recon. The game really seems to favour RoF.

Also any opinnions on the PDW-R?
Drewsky said:
The ump is awful now.
I wouldn't call it awful, it does need some help but I still get plenty of kills with it.

Drewsky

Ikuu said:
I wouldn't call it awful, it does need some help but I still get plenty of kills with it.
Yeah I may have exaggerated, but it is way worse than in the beta. It was too powerful in the beta though.

Ramirez

rance said:
Join a near filled server. I swear dudes live in some servers because they stay on forever.

Late to replying on this, but even if we join a full server it eventually drops back down to 8v8 or something after we win 2-3 in a row. Why are the rooms never filling up? It's not like this is a new problem to BF on consoles. You couldn't get a full room in BC2 after a certain time of the night to save your life.

It wouldn't be as annoying if you could immediately quit after a match was over, but you have to sit through the stats screen, then a loading screen, quit, then hope that your squad doesn't get split up on a new server.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CatPee said:
Going by BF3Stats.com... the player population for PC increased from approximately the same time yesterday by ~10k, PS3 population increased by ~4k, and Xbox 360 population decreased by ~60k.

360 players have no taste, confirmed? ;) ;P

So, did anyone ever get DICE to comment on the Mission 3/5 co-op issues with alerts?

bigdaddygamebot said:

Truthfully...I get so few kills but setting up the spawn beacon in a clever spot and using the soflam.

It's really satisfying sneaking up bit by bit, shooting at the odd person but seeing a steady stream of "spawn on you" XP and "spotted kill" XP.

Most folks get bad gaming habits from other games and don't play Recons well. Most are just a stain on their team and no help just because they want to be that one hit kill guy. Players on your team know what you are doing. I have no problems with real Recons.

Moostache

bigdaddygamebot said:

I love guys who play the role of the loadout...you sound like you're doing exactly what a RECON player should do.

In the end, do your thing and have fun with the game...everything else is background noise and idle chatter anyway!

IMACOMPUTA

bigdaddygamebot said:

TO MW3 WITH YOU!

I'm just kidding.

bigdaddygamebot said:

If you're helping your team, you're getting "it".

Thanks for the positive affirmation lads.

If I didn't get those XP bonuses and didn't try to take points in Conquest, I wouldn't get any XP at all.

I'm not an online competitive shooter "guy" but man, I'm really enjoying the Battlefield experience and the team aspect of it.

ColonialRaptor said:
My god... teaming up with a buddy who is using the SOFLAM is the GREATEST THING EVER when you're flying in a Jet.

OH MY GOD, it just makes the game so damn fun.

People, you have to try this. It's also damn good fun being the SOFLAM driver as well.

Jesus, that is the best device in the game, best invention ever. HAHA it's great when you see jets get popped straight after dropping flares and pilots going "WTF I POPPED FLARES" HAHAH!
So you're using Guided Missiles in your jet to lock onto the SOFLAM air targets? I hadn't really thought of that, I'd only considered Guided Missiles being used against targets that had been lased on the ground. Interesting.

Kahoona

Is the "Below Radar" perk for the chopper permanent? I can't find it in the perk selections, and if it is does it matter if the pilot or gunner have it or either or?

Menelaus

Banned
Kahoona said:
Is the "Below Radar" perk for the chopper permanent? I can't find it in the perk selections, and if it is does it matter if the pilot or gunner have it or either or?
Yeah, it's permanent. Pretty sure the pilot needs it for it to be effective.

I just went through an entire round not being able to revive anybody. Must have been 20 failed attempts. And it is not the first time this has happened. Is this a well known glitch?

bigdaddygamebot said:

If I didn't get those XP bonuses and didn't try to take points in Conquest, I wouldn't get any XP at all.

I'm not an online competitive shooter "guy" but man, I'm really enjoying the Battlefield experience and the team aspect of it.

I LOVE when I have a recon on my team that is actually doing recon! Keep it up, you are doing it right. And since you are enjoying it too, I'd say you found a good play style for yourself.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I H8 Memes said:
I just went through an entire round not being able to revive anybody. Must have been 20 failed attempts. And it is not the first time this has happened. Is this a well known glitch?

I notice half the time it takes multiple tries to revive someone, but I've only just started really playing assault.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Is there a limit to how many flares pilots get? I can't shoot down anything using them. I put four stingers up and hit nothing.

ziadoz

Neo Member
eek5 said:
Nope. They have a 10s cooldown though

Bah. Is there a tactic to get them down as an engineer? Seems a bit pointless having the stinger if it's worthless against anything with flares. It's not like you can take out ground vehicles with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
cdyhybrid said:
I might as well play Recon if I have to get a headshot to kill someone.

Use a shotgun. Put flechettes in an 870CMS and you don't really have to aim at all. Anywhere vaguely near center of mass will do.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
cdyhybrid said:
I might as well play Recon if I have to get a headshot to kill someone.
Aim for center mass and let the recoil take the gun up towards the head. A burst or two should be enough. Gun attachments to reduce recoil can help quite a lot.

After 6 hrs flying jets, I think I'm beggining to get decent at them.

Still the experience can be resumed on:

*beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

rinse and repeat.

ziadoz said:
Is there a limit to how many flares pilots get? I can't shoot down anything using them. I put four stingers up and hit nothing.

No limit, there's a 10 second cooldown,(seems a lot more when you're on a jet) more or less. SO the best way, (and mostly only way) is hope/wait it throws a flares then aim and shoot down the motherfucker....that is if you don't get killed/you lose sight of him/flies beyond the lock on distance, etc...

Yeah, I know it's not easy.

It's way better grab an AA tank.

Even so, is quite annoying, and now I'm talking as a pilot, even when you use the flares, you have to use evasive tactics and get the hell out of here, before a second missiles fucks you, so it distracts the pilot and might give an edge to your own pilots.

Also, be advised, spot the damn choppers and jets, you don't know how useful is for jet pilots.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ziadoz said:
Bah. Is there a tactic to get them down as an engineer? Seems a bit pointless having the stinger if it's worthless against anything with flares. It's not like you can take out ground vehicles with it.

Hold your lock till they flare, reacquire and then shoot. Works fine, particularly versus helicopters which will often give you that 2nd lock. Jets will usually be flying too fast.

Thing to remember is that it is a team game. You probably aren't the only person putting a lock on that target. Somebody will put a bird in the air and he will flare, you just don't want to be the first one to do it. :)

If they're pretty close---this often is the case with helicopters---their flares won't work in time to decoy the heatseeker. You'll learn how close you need to be for this to happen.

Lastly, it takes two stinger hits to disable a 100% health jet. You're not taking that guy down all by yourself regardless of how well you use the stinger. Which is as it should be. At most there are two jets per team, whereas a team can have 32 engineers with stingers, lol.

...and as relaxed muscle said, the mobile AA is death to anything in the air that gets within range. If you really want to shoot stuff down that is your best option. Second best is probably flying a jet yourself. One tip about the mobile aa: guns >>>>> heatseekers. The guns are deadly, the only counter to them is to stay out of range or put a mountain between you and the mobile aa.

Menelaus said:
Yeah, it's permanent. Pretty sure the pilot needs it for it to be effective.
it's not permanent, from here: http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Below_Radar
Contrary to popular belief, Below Radar is not a permanent upgrade. It is currently glitched; it's impossible to equip it as it doesn't appear in the list of options. This has been tested on the Xbox 360. Lock-on can still be achieved with Stingers and Heat Seeker missiles from jets/other helicopters even when you're just a few feet above or on the ground.

Woo-Fu said:
Hold your lock till they flare, reacquire and then shoot. Works fine, particularly versus helicopters which will often give you that 2nd lock. Jets will usually be flying too fast.

Thing to remember is that it is a team game. You probably aren't the only person putting a lock on that target. Somebody will put a bird in the air and he will flare, you just don't want to be the first one to do it. :)

If they're pretty close---this often is the case with helicopters---their flares won't work in time to decoy the heatseeker. You'll learn how close you need to be for this to happen.

Lastly, it takes two stinger hits to disable a 100% health jet. You're not taking that guy down all by yourself regardless of how well you use the stinger. Which is as it should be. At most there are two jets per team, whereas a team can have 32 engineers with stingers, lol.

You can disable a jet with one missile...and well he's pretty fucked unless he has the extinguiser.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
You can disable a jet with one missile...and well he's pretty fucked unless he has the extinguiser.

Not from what I read, nor from what I've experienced. One stinger has never set my jet on fire from 100% hp. If I'm not on fire you're not taking me out. :)

Contrary to popular belief, Below Radar is not a permanent upgrade. It is currently glitched; it's impossible to equip it as it doesn't appear in the list of options. This has been tested on the Xbox 360. Lock-on can still be achieved with Stingers and Heat Seeker missiles from jets/other helicopters even when you're just a few feet above or on the ground.

That would explain why it hasn't made any difference whatsoever on either jet or helicopter for me. I typically fly 8 units off the ground in the copter when trying to evade, still get locks. Not quite that low in the jet, but still low unless I can fly into the sun.

squidyj

mxgt said:
Everyone loves suppressors

Except me, I despise the suppressors and never use them.

I might also suggest trying the AEK over the F2000, works much better for me.

AEK
Foregrip IRNV scope Tac Light or Heavy Barrel depending on expected engagement distance
I usually go with the heavy barrel in part because I've taken a shine to the M26 Mass. I can clear rooms with that thing just beautifully, especially on Rush maps. Heavy Barrel with single fire mode lets me pick off targets at a decent range and remember you can steady the IRNV scope just like a sniper scope

endlessflood said:
So you're using Guided Missiles in your jet to lock onto the SOFLAM air targets? I hadn't really thought of that, I'd only considered Guided Missiles being used against targets that had been lased on the ground. Interesting.

Yes you can use the SOFLAM to laser targets in the air, it works with Guided Missiles on Helicopters and Jets, however the range is not as good as for targets on the ground, so the Jets or Heli's have to be in relatively close range of the SOFLAM, that said the jet doesn't have to be in the best range, the SOFLAM is the thing that has to be in range, the jet can be pretty much across the map, the SOFLAM locks, and you fire.

It doesn't really work with 'auto' target acquisition though you have to in most cases manually target the flying targets.

It's best for pesky helicpoters.

bigdaddygamebot said:

My comment was more directed at selfish players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom