• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrOogieBoogie said:
I always surprise myself by how well I aim with the rocket launcher. I'll see a tank way off in the distance, barely visible from my standpoint, and usually on my very first shot I'll see the target hit reticle. Such a great feeling, especially if I disable/destroy the tank on that hit.

I had a similar experience on Op.Firestorm. A tank was speeding away from me after I tried to flank it, so the angle of the shot and how I needed to lead the target was awkward. The tank was moving away from me on the Z and X axis. On top of that, I had to weave the shot in between the steel beams of the oil pipelines. I sighted, made a split calculation, fired, and hit the tank in the rear - disabling it. Felt so great. As if I 'wrecked his shit with math'.

Keasar

Mr Sandman said:
CITV station + guided missiles really pisses jet and heli whores off. We had bombardments of kamikaze jets and helis, groups of tanks and engineers, etc coming at us in all directions. As soon as they spawned they made a beeline for us. lol
Hah, keep those guided thingies comming, I have disabled half your army before you even can lock on me!

EVIL

pappakenoo said:
Dear lord it's unbelivably hard taking down any air vehicles with the stinger. No matter how long i wait before i launch the stinger after lock, or if i launch it the second it locks, they ALWAYS time their flares perfectly if they're decent. How do they do that? And as soon as i have reloaded and locked again, even if i do it as fast as humanly possible, they have their fucking flares ready again.

What am i doing wrong?
You have to remember that we can hear when you start to lock on, when you have us locked and when you deployed a missile. the tone in beep changes when you release it, so at that moment, we deploy flares. once you reloaded your stinger we are or already gone, or have reloaded our flares, also the gunner seat can deploy flares to if he has that unlock and attached to his gunner seat load out.

EVIL

Patrick Bateman said:
"God, they put E next to R"

Bwahahaha! :D
happened to me so often, same for when I want to knife a guy and I throw my grenade, or when I want to throw a grenade I knife :p

EVIL said:
happened to me so often, same for when I want to knife a guy and I throw my grenade, or when I want to throw a grenade I knife :p

I do this fairly regularly with 4 (defig) and 5 (gren). Shits pretty hilarious on hardcore.

pappakenoo said:
Dear lord it's unbelivably hard taking down any air vehicles with the stinger. No matter how long i wait before i launch the stinger after lock, or if i launch it the second it locks, they ALWAYS time their flares perfectly if they're decent. How do they do that? And as soon as i have reloaded and locked again, even if i do it as fast as humanly possible, they have their fucking flares ready again.

What am i doing wrong?

You don't have any buddies with SOFLAM's, they render flares useless.

Binabik15

Does this game have regressing performance for anybody else? The first three days there was only one time the framerate dropped under 60 fps (locked with v-sync), the last two days it dropped a lot on Caspian and sometimes on other maps. Or could that be server related? It sucks, because with under 60 fps it feels choppy and unresponsive, I guess it doesn´t work nicely without locked FPS? If that´s the case, I now understand why people would lock at 30.

MNC

Best way to deal with flares is to lock on, but don't fire. The pilot will get the locked on warning, and if they're dumb, activate the flares. You will lose your aim, but will get it within 2 seconds, so fire straight away while they're busy reloading flares.

When you're in a jet/helo, the locked on warning merely means someone locked on. When the beeping starts, that means a missile is flying your way.

cdyhybrid

I love having 3/4 of my team circle jerking in the spawn around the vehicles and not doing anything the entire game. Even when they do get a chopper spawn, they take off and immediately crash again. Fucking unbelievable.

Reikon

timmytheman123 said:
Playing the recon class is pretty frustrating at times. After like 20 games of using the SOFLAM I finally had an engineer decide to use the javelin. I don't understand why more people don't use it, I guess they would rather spam infantry with rockets. I still say the recon class needs a little buff. Maybe give them double points for spotting?

It might be because the Javelin is often buggy. It often misses the target even though there's a clear path to it. The missile seems to hit behind the target instead. Coupled with the much less ammo you get with a Javelin, there's little incentive to use it.

mxgt said:
Nothing more frustrating than laying C4 on a tank and getting shot just as you're about to blow it sky high :(

Or laying 3 c4 on a tank only to get him disabled instead of blown up. Sometimes I just start to scratch my head on this games damage model.

I just got 0 kills and 12 deaths on TDM Tehran Highway. Score 2500 something. Mad revives and heals for the victory 100-97. This team we beat crushed us on every other map but thanks to me we won one. I was top scorer for my team and 2nd overall.

EVIL said:
I wonder over how many days he recorded this vid, since they guy flies so jerky, he must have crashed a dozen times.

Yeah, the frequent jump cuts are also clearly where he repeatedly dies again and again to machinegun fire/RPGs after getting maybe one kill if he's lucky.

Kahoona said:
I've come to the conclusion that this game has TOO much AA.

How come --- *beep beep beeeep*

did you reach --- *beep beep beep beep beeeep*

that conclusion? -- *beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

darkwing

Reikon said:
It might be because the Javelin is often buggy. It often misses the target even though there's a clear path to it. The missile seems to hit behind the target instead. Coupled with the much less ammo you get with a Javelin, there's little incentive to use it.
this, javelin is so buggy, in one match, a squad mate was tagging a tank, and only 1 out of 5 hit :|

Fumoffu

Neo Member
15hrs in, finally getting the hang of the game. Been playing engineer 98% of the time, got a suppressor for the M14 which is awwwesome! Love the tanks and explosions, don't really care about my K/D ratio as long as I'm having fun.

In a conquest map I spawned on top of four marines and took them haha or and with luck managed to use the Abrams to take out a sniper up on a crane like 300m away :D

I'm really starting to enjoy Rush. It feels a bit more "focused" than conquest. And rolling with a good squad that works together is a really fun experience.

Ryuuga

Banned
Reikon said:

I concur, each time I decide to give the Javelin another shot I promptly go back to using a standard issue SMAW/IGLA.

EDIT:

By the way, how do most of you use the stinger? Do you lock on then only shoot after enemy aircraft has pre-emptively used their flares? I find that sort of trickery always lands me hits. If you have any other recommendations let me know.

SirButterstick said:
I'm really starting to enjoy Rush. It feels a bit more "focused" than conquest. And rolling with a good squad that works together is a really fun experience.

Same here. It's a nice change of pace, and it feels like playing a quality co-op game. Also, as many of the maps were designed with Rush in mind it seems necessary to try the maps as they were intended to played.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
SirButterstick said:

That's all I've played really. I love rush :)

Desaan

Darkness said:
That's all I've played really. I love rush :)

Nothing is worse than playing Rush without a proper squad, attack you say? 5 Recon on the hill on your team in Operation Firestorm. You know you're in for a rough game.

boris feinbrand said:
Or laying 3 c4 on a tank only to get him disabled instead of blown up. Sometimes I just start to scratch my head on this games damage model.

Never seen that. 2 C4 seems to take out any tank I've bombed. 1 usually seems to disable it.

Are you putting c4 on the front of the tank? Which is where it has the strongest armor.

Orlandu84

aznpxdd said:
What's so awesome about the suppressor?
Suppressors are really good for taking out multiple targets in enclosed spaces for me at least. By reducing the sound and flash, it makes it more difficult for your enemies to detect you. Obviously the person whom is being shot is noticing you, but the suppressor gives you a good shot that his teammates won't - at least, until after you've killed them too ;)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Orlandu84 said:
Suppressors are really good for taking out multiple targets in enclosed spaces for me at least. By reducing the sound and flash, it makes it more difficult for your enemies to detect you. Obviously the person whom is being shot is noticing you, but the suppressor gives you a good shot that his teammates won't - at least, until after you've killed them too ;)

Pretty much this.

And also, honestly, just like trench coats, suppressors just look fucking cool.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Binabik15 said:
Does this game have regressing performance for anybody else? The first three days there was only one time the framerate dropped under 60 fps (locked with v-sync), the last two days it dropped a lot on Caspian and sometimes on other maps. Or could that be server related? It sucks, because with under 60 fps it feels choppy and unresponsive, I guess it doesn´t work nicely without locked FPS? If that´s the case, I now understand why people would lock at 30.

It's been nearly perfect for me since release up until a couple nights ago when I experienced my first first lock-up during play. Fortunately, it unfroze and I was able to continue.

However, last night I was on for a couple hours, and at the start of a new round my game locked up permanently. Had to bring up the task manager and terminate the program that way. Hopefully this isn't a continuous issue because the game really has been running great for me.

timmytheman123 said:
Playing the recon class is pretty frustrating at times. After like 20 games of using the SOFLAM I finally had an engineer decide to use the javelin. I don't understand why more people don't use it, I guess they would rather spam infantry with rockets. I still say the recon class needs a little buff. Maybe give them double points for spotting?

The class definitely needs more points/incentive for staring through the SOFLAM an entire round. And engineers/tanks/pilots need to start equipping their laser-guided weapons more often to take advantage of it.

Recon doesn't need a lot of changes, they just need a little tweaking to make their shit work better. For example, on Sienne, you'd think that would be a perfect map for the MAV. Except flying the MAV on that map, with it's 40ft ceiling, is completely annoying. Every time the MAV even taps the invisible ceiling it shakes uncontrollably for a few seconds.

Increase the SOFLAM range a bit. Give the user more points.

Jet map limits on canals, it's ridiculous, not worth to fly a jet on that map, when you lose the control of your jet every and your are meat from the stingers.

darkwing said:
this, javelin is so buggy, in one match, a squad mate was tagging a tank, and only 1 out of 5 hit :|

They should buff the damage to incentive their use and prevent the SWAW/RPG spamming on infantry, why use the Javelin when you have a anti-infantry/vehicle weapon in one?.

jorma

is now taking requests
PoweredBySoy said:
The class definitely needs more points/incentive for staring through the SOFLAM an entire round. And engineers/tanks/pilots need to start equipping their laser-guided weapons more often to take advantage of it.

Recon doesn't need a lot of changes, they just need a little tweaking to make their shit work better. For example, on Sienne, you'd think that would be a perfect map for the MAV. Except flying the MAV on that map, with it's 40ft ceiling, is completely annoying. Every time the MAV even taps the invisible ceiling it shakes uncontrollably for a few seconds.

Increase the SOFLAM range a bit. Give the user more points.

I wish they could make up some other stuff you can do with the MAV besides spotting and taking out devices, it does feel rather limited at the moment, even if you do feel that you are contributing a lot when you use it.
And the SOFLAM feels completely pointless to play around with.

Zeppelin

.nimrod said:
I made a helicopter video as well, it starts a bit slow but builds up and is definitely not as boring as the one just posted :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykppMtKRsbk&hd=1

And a short tank hunting montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-X6jevSBmA&hd=1

edit: btw, that guy talking is CreativeSK, my gunner and a fellow GAFer shouting out targets

d92591fc94beefeb783103fbd4d6d2a3.jpg

Twinduct

Woo-Fu

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Jet map limits on canals, it's ridiculous, not worth to fly a jet on that map, when you lose the control of your jet every and your are meat from the stingers.

Makes it a great helicopter map, though, as long as you're not Russian on a 64-player map(fixed AA on the carrier in 64-player).

Twinduct said:
Never been in a chopper, assume that Circular mini-map is unique to it right?

Air radar is an unlock for jets/copters.

Twinduct

Woo-Fu said:
Air radar is an unlock for jets/copters.

Ah ok. Gah I really want to start flying, but I'm so into the whole 'Team aspect' that every time I get near an empty plane I can't help but think ' I'm going to fuck this up and they'll take over the map with their superior air'

We need a practice mode ;<

Gvaz

Banned
CatPee said:
Going by BF3Stats.com... the player population for PC increased from approximately the same time yesterday by ~10k, PS3 population increased by ~4k, and Xbox 360 population decreased by ~60k.
60k people like eating shit. Worst console system confirmed!

BattleMonkey said:
Never seen that. 2 C4 seems to take out any tank I've bombed. 1 usually seems to disable it.

Are you putting c4 on the front of the tank? Which is where it has the strongest armor.
Backside and underneath.

Sometimes it takes 4 sometimes it takes 2 c4s.

Same with RPGs and mines. Had my tank blown up by a single measily Mine, yet my 3 combined mines only disabled a tank...

The damage inconsistencies have been there in the beta as well, now they are reduced significantly but still there and noticeable.

boris feinbrand said:
Backside and underneath.

Sometimes it takes 4 sometimes it takes 2 c4s.

Same with RPGs and mines. Had my tank blown up by a single measily Mine, yet my 3 combined mines only disabled a tank...

The damage inconsistencies have been there in the beta as well, now they are reduced significantly but still there and noticeable.

I play mainly support so don't know about RPG consistency. But any 1 C4 to the back of the tank for me has always disabled it.

.nimrod

Zeppelin said:
Twinduct said:
Never been in a chopper, assume that Circular mini-map is unique to it right?
Btw mad flying skills :p .. input?
Phandy said:
What do you use to fly the chopper? Are you using a joystick?

Glad you guys like it, that wasn't even our best round.
And i'm just using mouse and keyboard for flying, i tried my Dualshock 3 since i've used that for the jets but it didn't feel right for the helos to me.

jorma

is now taking requests
yeah i always do 3 C4 on a tank and i never fail to kill it if i actually get to the point where i pull the trigger.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Twinduct said:
Ah ok. Gah I really want to start flying, but I'm so into the whole 'Team aspect' that every time I get near an empty plane I can't help but think ' I'm going to fuck this up and they'll take over the map with their superior air'
You don't have to worry about that. Very, very few jet pilots configure for ground attack, which means even fewer jet pilots have any affect whatsoever on the outcome of the battle. Simply put, with jets you can't take over anything worth taking over.

I can have a 3500 point round in jet and we'll lose horribly or I can have a 1000 point round and we win by a landslide. It really doesn't matter what I do with the jet.

Infantry take and hold points. You can damage their armor support but 9 times out of 10 the infantry driving those tanks will jump out and keep capping the point even if you disable/destroy the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom