• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't use suppressors either. Don't really see the point. Even if they see me momentarily blink on the minimap I'm not going to be there when they get there. If they can shoot me from where they saw the blip then they should have seen me shooting their teammate too.

Then again, I don't play hardcore mode, where the lower health and greater value of stealth might make it worth the trade-offs.

endlessflood said:
So you're using Guided Missiles in your jet to lock onto the SOFLAM air targets? I hadn't really thought of that, I'd only considered Guided Missiles being used against targets that had been lased on the ground. Interesting.

People are having a lot of fun shooting down air assets with guided shells from tanks after the 3rd seat(CITV) lases them. And yeah, it is very annoying to get shot down this way since it makes it seem like your flares are broken. It'd be nice if they'd make a different set of warning tones for this type of attack. They can't counter with flares and if they don't dodge/outrun the guided shell they are going to get knocked out of the sky thanks to the increased damage dealt to a lased target. It really adds insult to injury for the helicopter fans. The tanks have more effective anti-helicopter weapon systems than the helicopters have anti-tank weapon systems.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Woo-Fu said:
Hold your lock till they flare, reacquire and then shoot. Works fine, particularly versus helicopters which will often give you that 2nd lock. Jets will usually be flying too fast.

Thing to remember is that it is a team game. You probably aren't the only person putting a lock on that target. Somebody will put a bird in the air and he will flare, you just don't want to be the first one to do it. :)

If they're pretty close---this often is the case with helicopters---their flares won't work in time to decoy the heatseeker. You'll learn how close you need to be for this to happen.

Lastly, it takes two stinger hits to disable a 100% health jet. You're not taking that guy down all by yourself regardless of how well you use the stinger. Which is as it should be. At most there are two jets per team, whereas a team can have 32 engineers with stingers, lol.

...and as relaxed muscle said, the mobile AA is death to anything in the air that gets within range. If you really want to shoot stuff down that is your best option. Second best is probably flying a jet yourself. One tip about the mobile aa: guns >>>>> heatseekers. The guns are deadly, the only counter to them is to stay out of range or put a mountain between you and the mobile aa.

Holding the lock is a good idea. I figured the pilot would just get a notification once I've fired the stringer not just when i have a lock on. I roll with the randoms too much to rely on the my team mates. Two choppers and I'm the only person putting up a stinger. I need to start playing with gaffers.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ziadoz said:
Holding the lock is a good idea. I figured the pilot would just get a notification once I've fired the stringer not just when i have a lock on. I roll with the randoms too much to rely on the my team mates. Two choppers and I'm the only person putting up a stinger. I need to start playing with gaffers.

He does get a notice when the bird is in the air. My point is that you want that notice to come from somebody else's stinger. He then flares to evade that missile, you then relock and fire before his flares reload. You have a window of opportunity there. A good pilot will be getting the hell out of Dodge on full afterburner when he hears relock right after flaring and he still has a chance to outrun/evade your missile.

If you're playing conquest/conquest 64 it doesn't matter how bad your team is, somebody else will be shooting at any helicopter low enough to lock. Jets not so much since many will give up when they realize they're not going to take down a jet all by themselves.

When I'm flying a helicopter it usually feels like everybody on the enemy team who is in range is shooting at me if they know I'm there. Any vehicle with a mounted mg does good damage, snipers are trying to shoot me out of the cockpit, engineers are firing whatever they have, jets are looking for the easy kill---or treat their vehicle as a guided missile and just ram me---tank gunners are firing their MGs, tank drivers are firing their main gun and possibly a coaxial mounted machine gun, transport copter doorgunners are shooting me up, scout copters are shooting me with miniguns and lobbing heatseekers, and worst of all is getting lazed and hit by an unavoidable guided shell. Definitely not the friendly skies we're flying.

Woo-Fu said:
Not from what I read, nor from what I've experienced. One stinger has never set my jet on fire from 100% hp. If I'm not on fire you're not taking me out. :)

Um, I think you may be right...well, for some reason I thought otherwise...

Woo-Fu said:
When I'm flying a helicopter it usually feels like everybody on the enemy team who is in range is shooting at me if they know I'm there. Any vehicle with a mounted mg does good damage, snipers are trying to shoot me out of the cockpit, engineers are firing whatever they have, jets are looking for the easy kill---or treat their vehicle as a guided missile and just ram me---tank gunners are firing their MGs, tank drivers are firing their main gun and possibly a coaxial mounted machine gun, transport copter doorgunners are shooting me up, scout copters are shooting me with miniguns and lobbing heatseekers, and worst of all is getting lazed and hit by an unavoidable guided shell. Definitely not the friendly skies we're flying.

And that's one of the reasons, I won't fly a damn chopper, the other is I fucking suck at them, I had already a lot of work just to fly a jet.

njean777

bigdaddygamebot said:
:(

I'm a recon...and I get knifed a bit.

Is recon supposed to be easy-mode or something?

Truthfully...I get so few kills but setting up the spawn beacon in a clever spot and using the soflam.

It's really satisfying sneaking up bit by bit, shooting at the odd person but seeing a steady stream of "spawn on you" XP and "spotted kill" XP.

I'm new to the Battlefield thing so maybe I'm not getting "it"?

No the recon class is not easy mode, a good recon player can dominate at certain choke points that really help your team move up and secure points in conquest. Not to mention they are very useful for spotting people, tanks, and aircraft.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Woo-Fu said:
He does get a notice when the bird is in the air. My point is that you want that notice to come from somebody else's stinger. He then flares to evade that missile, you then relock and fire before his flares reload. You have a window of opportunity there. A good pilot will be getting the hell out of Dodge on full afterburner when he hears relock right after flaring and he still has a chance to outrun/evade your missile.

If you're playing conquest/conquest 64 it doesn't matter how bad your team is, somebody else will be shooting at any helicopter low enough to lock. Jets not so much since many will give up when they realize they're not going to take down a jet all by themselves.

I thought choppers were going to be easier to take down than in BC2. So far a good pilot can annihilate any team of idiots I get stuck on. Perhaps once a few more people unlock stringers I'll get some assistance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ziadoz said:
I thought choppers were going to be easier to take down than in BC2. So far a good pilot can annihilate any team of idiots I get stuck on. Perhaps once a few more people unlock stringers I'll get some assistance.
A good jet pilot can make chopper pilots miserable. Those are pretty rare though.

Flambe said:
Hum I think I always get the Disabled message from nailing a jet with a stinger

They might have been damaged, certainly it happened to me too, but probably I was already damaged too...

I don't know, after all, I also got killed with one stinger with 100% health once (a strange bug).

SapientWolf said:
A good jet pilot can make chopper pilots miserable. Those are pretty rare though.

Is not easy that's for sure, at least with the mounted gun, I think it's easier use heatseekers and unload them when you're very near.

Flambe

Relaxed Muscle said:
They might have been damaged, certainly it happened to me too, but probably I was already damaged too...

Nah, I'm almost positive it happens every time (PC if that counts, dunno if it's balanced differently on consoles) and 90% of the time I'm playing a stinger/igla-toting Engi =]
I don't think I would've stuck with it if a hit didn't give that 100 points, especially with the limited ammo.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I always surprise myself by how well I aim with the rocket launcher. I'll see a tank way off in the distance, barely visible from my standpoint, and usually on my very first shot I'll see the target hit reticle. Such a great feeling, especially if I disable/destroy the tank on that hit.

DSN2K

Ive played a fair amount of the single player now....fair to say its not very special really at all. It's certainly pretty at times but its lacking. There is just nothing unique about this campaign at all. Feel like Ive played this game before and to be honest I have in BlackOps, MW1/2 and MoH.

Dice have played it safe big time and I find that a shame really and a wasted opportunity.

First time using the Stinger. Do the helli's have unlimited flares?

DSN2K said:
Ive played a fair amount of the single player now....fair to say its not very special really at all. It's certainly pretty at times but its lacking. There is just nothing unique about this campaign at all. Feel like Ive played this game before and to be honest I have in BlackOps, MW1/2 and MoH.

Dice have played it safe big time and I find that a shame really and a wasted opportunity.

What was wasted was the money and dev time they spent on a single player mode.

Playing the recon class is pretty frustrating at times. After like 20 games of using the SOFLAM I finally had an engineer decide to use the javelin. I don't understand why more people don't use it, I guess they would rather spam infantry with rockets. I still say the recon class needs a little buff. Maybe give them double points for spotting?

artist

Banned
CatPee said:
Going by BF3Stats.com... the player population for PC increased from approximately the same time yesterday by ~10k, PS3 population increased by ~4k, and Xbox 360 population decreased by ~60k.
Awesome to know. Thumbs up to master race and the rest (PS3).

I got my new computer yesterday (i7 2600k 3,9ghz, gtx 580 1,5 gb, 8GB DDR3). The game runs llike a dream. Sure, the framerate drops a bit when there are 20 players on the screen along with lots of smoke and effects, but most of the time it's a smooth 60 fps. First time having an experience like this on a computer, I couldn't even dream of running BF3 on my old computer.

Having the most fun with Engineer so far (though I only played for 3 hours) Having a RPG/Stinger and being able to shoot at tanks and jets is more fun then dropping health or ammo packs.

Also, I'm way too scared too just jump into a jet. I'll crash it in 5 seconds. Why don't they have a jet/chopper flying training mode or something. Oh well.

You should look for jet servers or something. It's how I learned. I was absolutely clueless at flying but I don't crash anymore unless I'm trying to hover as low as possible.

I tend to fly at around 700-800 and spot, if I see a jet that's open I'll go for it, and if I spot a tank or an AA gun I'll rocket pod strafe from quite a ways out (usually getting the disable) and then I finish em off with the canon.

jorma

is now taking requests
jonezer4 said:
I can hit a guy square in the feet with a rocket, or hit the wall 2 feet behind him, or go right through his stomach, and he will survive 90% of the time. Is everyone using flak? Rockets certainly seem to be effective when used against me, but not so much the other way around.

I assure you that's not how it feels when you are on the receiving end, as you yourself note.. More like "oh he hit the wall of that building two blocks away and he still nailed me?" :p

And it's not CG terribad, there's just so many of them. And i was a bit steamed coming from a few games where i got owned by them a couple of times in a row where i wasnt even in a cramped space...

Complaints done - i finally unlocked the MAV and it seems to work wonders. Our team got manhandled the first set on Noshir Canals, but once i got the MAV up in the air the game actually evened out, even though 3-4 guys quit. We still lost though.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Is it just me or am I not feeling all the "this X item is OP" etc. thing? I don't have a problem with taclights, laserlights, mortars, etc. It happens to me, but I deal with it.

Heck, just use the taclights yourself and they'll be blinded as well. I normally turn that shit off unless I'm on the verge of shooting someone. I don't want a friggin' light beacon that tells people where I am, no?

Same with mortars. I tried it. Got a few kills, but was mortared back. It didn't really feel overpowered. IRNV does feel a little cheap from time to time, but I don't think it's as OP as some people say it is. It is OP when you use that in tanks. Unlimited bullets and launchers? Yeah, that's seriously going to piss people off.

I just don't want them to constantly nerf every single thing because everyone has a complaint regarding something every time. I use all classes by the way and I prefer the engineer, but I don't feel that everything's OP or whatnot as some people do.

Basically, I think the balance thing boils down to teamwork. I get pissed a lot when I lose. I do anything to win, I also spot a ton. If your teammates did the same, I don't think all this talk of stuff being OP would be too much. Someone mortaring you? Have someone kill them from counter-mortars. Taclight being a problem? Hunt that bitch down with your medic friend, etc.

I'm really loving the game despite the asshat teammates that are mostly populating the servers. Also, it seems that the player count hasn't really dropped down from MW3's release, which is good, no?

Kahoona said:
I've come to the conclusion that this game has TOO much AA.

Way too much. It's like Dice decided to go overboard because of all the complaining about overpowered air vehicles over the years. Oddly enough, even without the AA, heli's and jets are a bit underwhelming.

cdyhybrid

excaliburps said:
Also, it seems that the player count hasn't really dropped down from MW3's release, which is good, no?

Based on the teammates I get matched with 99% of the time, no, it's not a good thing.

Naeblish

They should bring back the throwable motion sensor from BC2 for the Recon. It was an awesome class defining gadget that made the recon a very useful front-line soldier class.

exarkun

Just got this today for nothing after a trade in through some shenanigans at Gamestop.

Game is dope. Killed someone while parachuting after a respwn. Also, rockets aren't that OP because more often than not they hit the wall or ground next to the person and it only damages them and not kill them.

I think people should switch classes more often to fit the situation, rather than always being an assault or what not for the entire match. Also, Assault peeps please heal me or revive me. Why are you all around me yet you do not help?

Arjen

Finished the single player last night, and o boy, people weren't kidding how bad it was.
The overuse of quiktime events, first person cutscenes were really awfull.

Dear lord it's unbelivably hard taking down any air vehicles with the stinger. No matter how long i wait before i launch the stinger after lock, or if i launch it the second it locks, they ALWAYS time their flares perfectly if they're decent. How do they do that? And as soon as i have reloaded and locked again, even if i do it as fast as humanly possible, they have their fucking flares ready again.

What am i doing wrong?

pappakenoo said:
Dear lord it's unbelivably hard taking down any air vehicles with the stinger. No matter how long i wait before i launch the stinger after lock, or if i launch it the second it locks, they ALWAYS time their flares perfectly if they're decent. How do they do that? And as soon as i have reloaded and locked again, even if i do it as fast as humanly possible, they have their fucking flares ready again.

What am i doing wrong?

For helicopters, assume the first one will always catch flares and immediately start aiming a second, this usually works. If not, having a second guy aiming a stinger and no pilot stands a chance unless the pilot has a gunner using flares too.

For jets it's harder to get a lock on because they move faster, but I say let em stay in the air; they're much more useless in a jet than on the ground.

Nome

OldJadedGamer said:
First time using the Stinger. Do the helli's have unlimited flares?

What was wasted was the money and dev time they spent on a single player mode.
They do. The way lock-ons work is, once you lock on, the pilot is notified. They are not notified when a missile is incoming, so what you do is lock on, wait a bit for them to blow a flare, then immediately lock on again and shoot a missile (just spam LMB).

Good pilots will figure out where you're shooting from and move away before you can get the second lock on, but most pub pilots will end up getting shot down.

Nome said:
They do. The way lock-ons work is, once you lock on, the pilot is notified. They are not notified when a missile is incoming, so what you do is lock on, wait a bit for them to blow a flare, then immediately lock on again and shoot a missile (just spam LMB).

Good pilots will figure out where you're shooting from and move away before you can get the second lock on, but most pub pilots will end up getting shot down.
Actually, they are notified when a missile is incoming. There's a different beeping sound when a missile is launched.

Kak.efes

pappakenoo said:

What am i doing wrong?

Once the tone turns into a beep, is when you release your flares, there's no real strategy to it. Play rush if you want to take down jets. The frogfoot, and thunderbolt have no afterburners. You're not likely to take down a hornet, or flanker, unless you coordinate with another engineer/jet/AA.

mcrae

Nome said:

yeah where do you get your information? theres slow beeping for attempted lock ons, a steady sound when you are locked on, and really fast beeping when a missile is incoming.

So after giving up to get EA to help my brother with his Online Pass (after 3 days of emails and 5 calls) he's giving the game back to the retailer asking for a refund. Fuck EA, seriously, worst customer support I ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

As for myself I am quite frustrated to see that damage inconsistencies and glitches with invincible players are so frequent. In the 5 matches I played yesterday I encountered over 6 people using a glitch or whatever to be invincible. (and don't give me that shit about maybe you didn't hit him, those bitches got shot by our entire team and just stood there picking us of with a pistol)

Arjen said:
Finished the single player last night, and o boy, people weren't kidding how bad it was.
The overuse of quiktime events, first person cutscenes were really awfull.

I actually just finished it not 10 minutes ago and I enjoyed the last hour or so, otherwise yeah, been there, done that. Not a very good campaign overall and the ending was terrible.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
why does no one speak in the ingame chat.., I got called a troll the other day for starting a conversation on it.

Kentpaul said:
why does no one speak in the ingame chat.., I got called a troll the other day for starting a conversation on it.

Most of the time when the ingame chat is "active", it's some British kid talking trash in the wildest accent or some dude is breathing heavily into his mic..

jorma

is now taking requests
yeah i never hear anyone speak. i only play on the euro servers though, there might be more talk on the us servers?

cdyhybrid

Kentpaul said:

Why communicate with your teammates and do something to help win the game when you can camp in the corner in a warehouse and stare at the door all game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom