• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twinduct said:
Ah ok. Gah I really want to start flying, but I'm so into the whole 'Team aspect' that every time I get near an empty plane I can't help but think ' I'm going to fuck this up and they'll take over the map with their superior air'

We need a practice mode ;<

I think it would be nice to set up the GAF server as a practice server on slow days or certain days of the month. Set the pw to something like "practice", change it to unranked, set a low # of players required to start.

Effect

Playing with players that either refuse to disarm or simply don't care enough to ask how to is so damn frustrating. If you are helping to cover one when the other gets armed then stay and defend against attacks. That's fine. When I rush to an MCOM, disarm, and see five other people just standing there trying to shoot people up on the ridge it's really annoying.

mbmonk

zephervack said:
All these videos make me wish i had a partner to play with, im really not enjoying this game solo :(.

I feel your pain. My schedule is just to erratic to really get with a group consistently.

Every now and then though I get in squad of randoms that work together and I stay in the squad and play as long as I possibly can.

mbmonk said:
I feel your pain. My schedule is just to erratic to really get with a group consistently.

Every now and then though I get in squad of randoms that work together and I stay in the squad and play as long as I possibly can.

Same here, I randomly sit down and i get interrupted all the while playing the game, first world problems haha.

Still the game looks like its a ton of fun with a good squad that communicates.

Woo-Fu

Banned
zephervack said:
All these videos make me wish i had a partner to play with, im really not enjoying this game solo :(.

Attack helicopter is a waste of time without a partner on voicecomm. Having a good gunner is the difference between killing something before it can fight back and being gunned down by the tank you failed to destroy in one pass.

Alternatively, if you're a great gunner the odds of getting a pilot who will crash within 10 seconds approach 100%.

On top of that, the pilot gets shafted on the points so you have to play gunner if you want to get your unlocks in a reasonable amount of time.

mbmonk

BattleMonkey said:
If your bored perhaps and want to, can't hurt. Can easily be ran through in one sitting

Is the story shite? I actually enjoyed the BC2 campaign; I actually like the characters and the comedy. I am assuming that is removed from BF3 (being a different series)and it has turned more serious in terms of story line.

Effect

mbmonk said:
Is the story shite? I actually enjoyed the BC2 campaign; I actually like the characters and the comedy. I am assuming that is removed from BF3 (being a different series)and it has turned more serious in terms of story line.
The BC2 campaign is more enjoyable. There are moments in BF3's campaign that stand out but overall it isn' that good.

mbmonk said:

Yes, the characters are more plain and boring than the 4 in BC1 and BC2 and the plot is pretty weak.

Twinduct

Woo-Fu said:
You don't have to worry about that. Very, very few jet pilots configure for ground attack, which means even fewer jet pilots have any affect whatsoever on the outcome of the battle. Simply put, with jets you can't take over anything worth taking over.

I can have a 3500 point round in jet and we'll lose horribly or I can have a 1000 point round and we win by a landslide. It really doesn't matter what I do with the jet.

Infantry take and hold points. You can damage their armor support but 9 times out of 10 the infantry driving those tanks will jump out and keep capping the point even if you disable/destroy the tank.

Heh, I guess I was just over thrown by the constant ' Fucking noob, don't fly ' etc, when I see other people grabbing jets. I do love me some INF battles though

.nimrod said:
Glad you guys like it, that wasn't even our best round.
And i'm just using mouse and keyboard for flying, i tried my Dualshock 3 since i've used that for the jets but it didn't feel right for the helos to me.

God I tried flying with my Keyboard/ Mouse on the co-op stage. forget about it!

Anton Sugar said:
I think it would be nice to set up the GAF server as a practice server on slow days or certain days of the month. Set the pw to something like "practice", change it to unranked, set a low # of players required to start.

This might be nice! Granted I'll bring Da lag though. Will keep my eyes open none the less. I really need a damn environment where I can practice flying. Can't believed they left this out.

BattleMonkey said:
I play mainly support so don't know about RPG consistency. But any 1 C4 to the back of the tank for me has always disabled it.

The big problem is that it is inconsistent for me. I usually know that 2 c4s should at least disable a tank with a 3rd kill it completely, but at times it's just weird and takes more.

Menelaus

Banned
Here are the new deets for the GAF servers!

Z9WhA.jpg

bit.ly/gafbf3rush
bit.ly/gafbf3cq

squidyj

zephervack said:
When i added the CQ server to my favorites it says its only 32 players... weird

If it's the deuce server then Chapel changed it last night because we were losing people in hopes of keeping the server going overnight.

Menelaus

Banned
zephervack said:
Whats the url for the 64 player one?
That IS the url. We have to "seed" it every night for 64 players...if you just leave it at 64, it empties out and no one will get quickmatched to it. It gets switched to 64 every night when the admins are around.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So we've established that some people do see the AA on the carrier, but are still not sure if it's a PC only emplacement, or if it should also be on the console versions. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Menelaus

Banned
DarthWoo said:
So we've established that some people do see the AA on the carrier, but are still not sure if it's a PC only emplacement, or if it should also be on the console versions. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It's PC only as far as I can tell. I believe the reason they did this is that there aren't any jets on the console maps that use the carrier (yet)

Zeppelin

I don't know if you guys already knew about this but it seems as if you hold a direction key when you exit a vehicle you will exit in that direction. Can anyone confirm this?

Zeppelin said:
I don't know if you guys already knew about this but it seems as if you hold a direction key when you exit a vehicle you will exit in that direction. Can anyone confirm this?

Dont know about that, but the direction you are facing is the direction you will exit, so to exit safe, face to the back of your vehicle and then exit.

Zeppelin

zephervack said:
Dont know about that, but the direction you are facing is the direction you will exit, so to exit safe, face to the back of your vehicle and then exit.

Ah, that makes more sense! Good to know.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Is there an incentive to use any other gun other than the M416 as Assault? This weapon seems quite awesome.
Every assault rifle seems pretty good so far. Haven't found one thats head and shoulders above the others. Currently using the M16 and I'm about to unlock the F2000.

zephervack said:
Very good to know, thanks.

Similar question:

Is there anyway to know which direction I'll be facing when I spawn? I sometimes get shot when I spawn into a battle area because it takes me a couple seconds to get my bearings.

.nimrod

Zeppelin said:
For me it was always the direction i was looking in.
For example, before i get out of a tank to repair it, i always aim away from the enemy to jump out on the other side.

edit: i'm so late :/

The Shift

Banned
Having a weird glitch/error on 360 right now. I can spawn into a server fine and all goes well until I change my class. When I do this I respawn with no gun, just a targeting reticule. Can't fire or select weapons/devices so the game is over for me at that point. At the end of the match there is the unlock background screen but no text or information comes up, the game just hangs on that screen and doesn't progress back to the lobby. The xbox doesn't lock and I can quit to dashboard so I'm guessing it's not that. I also noticed that some of my unlocks have been reset as well. Maybe my player data is bugged? Very frustrating.

Kyaw

.nimrod! Goddamn, nice flying.

How much i hate flying against you... :(
I can fly pretty damn well (hug the ground while going fast etc) but those pesky stingers and anti-air gets me every time even when sticking to the 'safe' side of the map.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Menelaus said:
It's PC only as far as I can tell. I believe the reason they did this is that there aren't any jets on the console maps that use the carrier (yet)

Damn. I think there are jets on the carrier in Kharg Island though. I'm not even sure if the US has any AA on that map if it's not on the carrier, as their staging area on the shore is just two LCACs.

I had some awesome games last night. I believe it was a great trifecta of getting the servers working right, noobs leaving for other games, and people getting more used to the game and working like teams.

But it felt like real BF last night and I couldn't stop playing.

boris feinbrand said:
Or laying 3 c4 on a tank only to get him disabled instead of blown up. Sometimes I just start to scratch my head on this games damage model.

depends on where you place the c4.

I really dig the infantry v. tank battles in urban environments. Fucking intense

I'm definitely going to play as Support next time I play rather than Engineer to play around with C4. I love me my mines, so I can imagine digging C4, too.

Do Support get claymores as well? Because I spam the fuck out of claymores in CoD!

.nimrod

Kyaw said:
.nimrod! Goddamn, nice flying.

How much i hate flying against you... :(
I can fly pretty damn well (hug the ground while going fast etc) but those pesky stingers and anti-air gets me every time even when sticking to the 'safe' side of the map.
Haha, thanks.
And they really need to patch in the "below radar" unlock for helos, apparently i have it unlocked but it's not in the game o_O

Foliorum Viridum said:
Do Support get claymores as well? Because I spam the fuck out of claymores in CoD!
Yeah, but it's either C4 or claymores, you can only have 2 at a time and the enemy has to almost step directly onto it

I can't comfortably fly the chopper with m/kb though it obviously is the best option if you want precision. You can lone wolf in a chopper but having extra flares can be super helpful. I'm always calling out my perks when I get in the gunner seat with a random guy.

elseanio

Moaradin said:
3 C4s in the back of a tank is a guaranteed kill for me. Remember that tanks have more armor in the front than in the back.

3 on the side does it for me. Have 20 kills with the C4, all coming from tanks.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Menelaus said:
It is on console and there are jets on Kharg Island.

.nimrod said:
Yeah, but it's either C4 or claymores, you can only have 2 at a time and the enemy has to almost step directly onto it
I'm sure I could make good use of two claymores. There's lots of areas on the maps I've always thought that would be perfect for them!

You either need C4 or claymores in most games, not both. Claymores for the more compact, urban maps and then C4 for the more open ones where tanks attack a lot.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm definitely going to play as Support next time I play rather than Engineer to play around with C4. I love me my mines, so I can imagine digging C4, too.

I'll defend a flag on the roof of a building, have an enemy tank roll up then I'll jump down off the roof all crazy man style and plant three C4's and blow them up.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

OldJadedGamer said:
I'll defend a flag on the roof of a building, have an enemy tank roll up then I'll jump down off the roof all crazy man style and plant three C4's and blow them up.

Feelsgoodman.jpg
I've ran over many a gutsy C4-er in my tank, but sometimes they're just too damn sneaky. I want to be that sneaky bastard for a change :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've ran over many a gutsy C4-er in my tank, but sometimes they're just too damn sneaky. I want to be that sneaky bastard for a change :D

Just remember that most times you gotta take one for the team and blow yourself up to get the tank. If you try to run away you'll get shot 90% of the time before you can trigger it.

Oh, also there was a time when I crawled under a tractor trailer and planted the C4 on the bottom of the tanks treads to blow it up. When you get off a super sneaky kill like that it totally brings a smile to your face.

Binabik15

Alright, I need some buddies from the the Old Continent. I´m willing to get a headset, even, but I can´t take playing with fucktards anymore. Euro-GAF, add Binabik15, puh-weese.

I decided to play support today and holy crap I finally got a feel for the Type 88. Went on a 5 man killing spree right away, tons of points over the next couple of games. Then it all fell apart. I wanted more kills, so I tried Rush, but with those bloody idiots running around, argh. My ten game winning streak from Sunday is so far, far away. Lost nearly every round I tried, every server was full of idiots or horrible unbalanced. And I tried lots. Spawn me into a YOUR TEAM LOST screen once more and I´ll kick a DICE employee.

I got the M249, but with zero kills. Not sure if I should take it over the Type 88? I loved it in the beta, though. I hate this unlocking crap.

OldJadedGamer said:
Just remember that most times you gotta take one for the team and blow yourself up to get the tank. If you try to run away you'll get shot 90% of the time before you can trigger it.

Oh, also there was a time when I crawled under a tractor trailer and planted the C4 on the bottom of the tanks treads to blow it up. When you get off a super sneaky kill like that it totally brings a smile to your face.
I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the cause :) I don't give a shit about KDR.

I have been known to plant mines behind a tank before and when they reverse they blow themselves up, taking me in the process. I felt really good doing that.

Marvie_3

Banned
elseanio said:
3 on the side does it for me. Have 20 kills with the C4, all coming from tanks.
I've found the side works really well too. If you don't want to get that close to a tank, just jihad jeep them. :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the cause :) I don't give a shit about KDR.
This. I'll happily explode myself it it means a wiped out tank and a couple kills.

Megasoum

Banned
The thing that sucks with claymore compared to mines is that they dissapear when you die.... I love setting mines and killing somebody 10minutes later lol. With claymore you have to be really lucky and live long enough to get kills.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've been playing with Assault class more and more, and it's actually pretty good. The M416 is just a great, great weapon, and the 320 is very useful. I know rockets are the bee's knees, but I can't deny that on the infantry-focused maps (e.g., Bazaar), the revive kit is just a lot more useful to capturing and holding points. On the open maps, though - forget it. You need something to deal with vehicles, unless your teammates are actively shutting them down (instead of waiting on the runway for planes, choppers, the AA, a tank, etc). Unfortunately, the infantry-focused maps tend to be the ones people like least - it's rare that I play the dam or metro maps at all anymore, and Seine angers people as well.

Also, I found out yesterday if you tie someone for the top points, you get the MVP and MVP #2 ribbons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom