• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
"cheat" scope has zero effect on close quarters combat, so no idea what you are talking about, the issues with it is it's removal of any long range concealment.

BC2 had awful netcode, you would shoot someone and they would at times fall over dead from your bullet a full 2 seconds later. Hit boxes and responsiveness is much tighter this time around. Jumping behind cover adn dying, yea it happens and sucks, but it also happens at times in pretty much every MP shooter, lag happens. I get it far more in the p2p CoD matches and made worse by the huge hit boxes in that franchise.

Are you kidding me? It's a massive advantage in close quarters. In Metro, you can see people through everything, see when they expose an inch of their body. When running around the bigger maps in the close quarters shrubbery areas you can see their heat signatures, pick them off because nobody else can see shit through all that. So no idea what you're talking about. Fucking scope even has the hold breath feature. You can see people trying to sneak by in bushes as well.

And the long ranged advantages are almost just as bad.

I'd take a player hosted Call of Duty game over the current netcode any day, because right now, it's bad and considering the game is running on dedicated servers, it's just borderline depressing.

jorma

is now taking requests
Sethos said:
The netcode is a fucking joke. The bullshit where you jump behind cover and still die.

weird, because this sort of kill lag has been less frequent for me in bf3 compared to every other shooter i played this gen.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Sethos said:
Already got MW3.

And what the hell does a broken game have to do with manning up?

Game is now broken? lol

I think you're just full of hyperbole...and yes man up...BF3 is not about CQC...MW3 is...just because you feel you die cheaply doesn't make it so...

Sethos

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Game is now broken? lol

I think you're just full of hyperbole...and yes man up...BF3 is not about CQC...MW3 is...just because you feel you die cheaply doesn't make it so...

You're right. They implemented tiny ass maps, infantry only etc. and it's not about CQC because you don't want it to be.

Battlefield has already taken two steps and a half into the normal competitive shooter territory. Stop pretending this game only has Conquest and is all about the vehicles.

Operation Metro is a perfect example of it, among others.

Sethos said:
Are you kidding me? It's a massive advantage in close quarters. In Metro, you can see people through everything, see when they expose an inch of their body. When running around the bigger maps in the close quarters shrubbery areas you can see their heat signatures, pick them off because nobody else can see shit through all that. So no idea what you're talking about. Fucking scope even has the hold breath feature. You can see people trying to sneak by in bushes as well.

And the long ranged advantages are almost just as bad.

I'd take a player hosted Call of Duty game over the current netcode any day, because right now, it's bad and considering the game is running on dedicated servers, it's just borderline depressing.

I haven't had net lag issues with the game outside of when the whole server would crap up and everyone starts rubberbanding and complaining about it, but it's gotten much better with their updates. It's one of the smoothest playing games lately for me.

Everyone hates the IRNV, and they already said it's getting toned down so we will see about it. Everything in Metro though is garbage, map is horrid and makes everything seem broken or stupid. Game was not meant for these tight corridor maps

Sethos said:
You're right. They implemented tiny ass maps, infantry only etc. and it's not about CQC because you don't want it to be.

Battlefield has already taken two steps and a half into the normal competitive shooter territory. Stop pretending this game only has Conquest and is all about the vehicles.

Operation Metro is a perfect example of it, among others.

There are two tiny maps, the rest are fairly large to medium size, and the B2K maps are all on the large side. Majority of the maps are large.

Sethos

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Game was not meant for these tight corridor maps

And I ask why, because it says Battlefield on the cover? The game has the potential, it has everything that could make it cater for both crowds but there's just two things stopping it, the iffy client side detection and stuff like the IRNV scope.

Right now I've only seen them confirm a toning down of the flashlight - No word on the IRNV yet?

Are people so afraid of the game trying to expand which it already has, to being so much more fun for infantry?

OldJadedGamer said:
You just have no clue how deeply in love with C4 you will become.

This. You feel like a fucking hero when you single handedly take out a tank/LAV that's terrorizing your team.

TheSeks said:
The only good use is to take out buildings and tanks. But since it's been nerfed to drop like a piano from a skyscraper, there is no need to use C4 in general. I'm completely underwhelmed with it's uses in BF3 in comparison to BC2.

I get what you're saying, but I kinda like you can't toss/float C4 anymore. Sure, you can't have those moments where you destroy a low-flying chopper, but I feel like C4 is so powerful, you shouldn't be able to essentially treat it as a grenade. It's still great for setting ambushes, blowing holes in walls, booby-trapping an MCOM, and destroying vehicles.

Sethos said:
Right now I've only seen them confirm a toning down of the flashlight - No word on the IRNV yet?

They said they're going to tweak it.

IRNV actually hasn't become as big of a problem as I thought it would be, for me. I thought after two weeks, every single person would be using it, so I keep waiting for it to appear in the killcam loadout, but it hasn't been as frequent as I worried.

It still absolutely needs to be nerfed in some way.

Sethos said:
And I ask why, because it says Battlefield on the cover? The game has the potential, it has everything that could make it cater for both crowds but there's just two things stopping it, the iffy client side detection and stuff like the IRNV scope.

They did confirm that the IRNV is getting tweaked on twitter and I believe the recent live chat.

It's more about the crowd playing the game and wll yea, it's a Battlefield game. It's pretty telling when the community is largely not happy with the smaller maps. Tons of servers have taken out maps like Metro from their rotation. It also creates alot of balance issues with design of the game and maps when you are supporting games with small player counts and allowing up to 64 players when the maps just don't support such play. They add more of these close quarters maps, the fan base will cry foul. Already the larger maps in the game are seen as "too small" for many people apparently. The map pack coming also is nothing but larger maps and larger than what we currently have.

It makes them even including something like Metro and odd choice, but of course many would say it was because they are trying to cater or bring in the console CoD playing crowds.

Pure infantry is popular mode in the game, in BF2 tons of server ran infantry only, it doesn't require tiny small player count maps though to be a pure infantry game. But again fans see the series as large scale combined arms game and not an arena shooter.

OG Kush

^^^add in the fact that atleast on consoels you can't even quit in between rounds. one of the stupidest decisions ever made. I don't know even know how they couldn't include sucha an option. DICE really baffle me sometimes.
Also they've made players blend in TOO MUCH with the background/rest of the scenery. Hard to see people at time.

VariantX

OG Kush said:
^^^add in the fact that atleast on consoels you can't even quit in between rounds. one of the stupidest decisions ever made. I don't know even know how they couldn't include sucha an option. DICE really baffle me sometimes.

I really thought they would fix this stupid issue from BC2 but it never occured to them to do so.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I guess its understandable why at least every 100 posts this thread devolves into the garbage thread but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Sethos

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
They did confirm that the IRNV is getting tweaked on twitter and I believe the recent live chat.

It's more about the crowd playing the game and wll yea, it's a Battlefield game. It's pretty telling when the community is largely not happy with the smaller maps. Tons of servers have taken out maps like Metro from their rotation. It also creates alot of balance issues with design of the game and maps when you are supporting games with small player counts and allowing up to 64 players when the maps just don't support such play. They add more of these close quarters maps, the fan base will cry foul. Already the larger maps in the game are seen as "too small" for many people apparently. The map pack coming also is nothing but larger maps and larger than what we currently have.

It makes them even including something like Metro and odd choice, but of course many would say it was because they are trying to cater or bring in the console CoD playing crowds.

Thanks for the IRNV confirmation, reassuring.

And closer quarters combat isn't even about small maps. It happens on the larger maps as well, because there's actually buildings, areas covered in rocks, trees and whatnot. So close quarters fighting between infantry will happen on every single map, nothing you can do about that. I honestly don't care how small or big the maps are, I can enjoy the game either way and find something that suits my playstyle and the reason why the small maps are hated in this game are because they are piss poor - Not because they are small. Operation Metro has major balance issues and Conquest Operation Metro is always won by the Russians in my experience, because of the easy-to-defend areas.

Although, maps aren't getting bigger and B2K will be the smaller versions because of the console constraints that will effect us PC players - Which they've said, especially with the halfway change of platform focus. So CQB fighting is in there, it's there to stay and all I'm asking for is a more solid netcode that allows you to jump for cover and survive, you don't die instantly because the server has an odd way of registering a bullet barrage at times etc. it's all fixable stuff and all I'm saying is, I can't play the game until its fixed because they have a MAJOR impact on what I like to play as: infantry. It all adds up to a broken experience that wouldn't fly elsewhere in my opinion but gets overlooked because infantry is a just another part of the game.

Just annoying that people seem to think there's no such thing as infantry combat or that it doesn't have to up to snuff. Just because there's a tank rolling by and a jet whizzing overhead, doesn't mean I accept all sorts of frustrating shit. :)

jorma

is now taking requests
TheSeks said:
I'm sure there is some uses other than cover destroying/blasting holes and anti-tank uses, but it isn't as versatile as it was in BC2, I feel. It dropping like a ton of bricks doesn't really help it.

Drives me insane sometimes. Throw c4 on tank. Tank moves away. Blow the c4 --> Death by suicide, because the c4 actually never landed on the tank :X

Rainy Dog

OG Kush said:

The between rounds and spawn screens are so unintuitive as they are now. They need completely streamlining.

After a round, you sit there for a minute in the lobby whilst it brings up a load of mostly pointless ribbons in dramatic slow motion. Then it loads the next map. Then you have to wait another 30 seconds to spawn whilst everyone's jumping up and down like idiots, waiting.

It should be just like BC2 where the between rounds screen is actually a loading screen for the next map. You should also be able to see what map is next, again like BC2, but there should also finally be a quit option if you don't want to play that map. Finally, you should be able to spawn and get on with it right away, once again just like BC2. If they made it so you can tweak your kits in the between rounds/map loading screen, then there's no reason for that countdown to exist at all.

jorma said:
Drives me insane sometimes. Throw c4 on tank. Tank moves away. Blow the c4 --> Death by suicide, because the c4 actually never landed on the tank :X

That's never happened to me. But this actually used to happen in BC2 quite a lot, before they patched it.

Rainy Dog

Sethos said:
Thanks for the IRNV confirmation, reassuring.

And closer quarters combat isn't even about small maps. It happens on the larger maps as well, because there's actually buildings, areas covered in rocks, trees and whatnot. So close quarters fighting between infantry will happen on every single map, nothing you can do about that. I honestly don't care how small or big the maps are, I can enjoy the game either way and find something that suits my playstyle and the reason why the small maps are hated in this game are because they are piss poor - Not because they are small. Operation Metro has major balance issues and Conquest Operation Metro is always won by the Russians in my experience, because of the easy-to-defend areas.

Although, maps aren't getting bigger and B2K will be the smaller versions because of the console constraints that will effect us PC players - Which they've said, especially with the halfway change of platform focus. So CQB fighting is in there, it's there to stay and all I'm asking for is a more solid netcode that allows you to jump for cover and survive, you don't die instantly because the server has an odd way of registering a bullet barrage at times etc. it's all fixable stuff and all I'm saying is, I can't play the game until its fixed because they have a MAJOR impact on what I like to play as: infantry. It all adds up to a broken experience that wouldn't fly elsewhere in my opinion but gets overlooked because infantry is a just another part of the game.

Just annoying that people seem to think there's no such thing as infantry combat or that it doesn't have to up to snuff. Just because there's a tank rolling by and a jet whizzing overhead, doesn't mean I accept all sorts of frustrating shit. :)

I can see where you're coming from Sethos. I love BF for the balance and interaction of everything, but infantry is still the overall most important part of the game. When you can capture a base in a jet or arm an M-COM with a chopper, maybe that'll change. But until then..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anton Sugar said:
That's never happened to me. But this actually used to happen in BC2 quite a lot, before they patched it.

It's happened to me. One of my C4 doesn't connect. Annoying.

I get what you're saying, but I kinda like you can't toss/float C4 anymore. Sure, you can't have those moments where you destroy a low-flying chopper, but I feel like C4 is so powerful, you shouldn't be able to essentially treat it as a grenade. It's still great for setting ambushes, blowing holes in walls, booby-trapping an MCOM, and destroying vehicles.

I'm not asking for the jump+throw glitch throw. I just want the damn thing to be able to be tossed two-three feet over a railing before it drops like a piano. I can be above an enemy tank and they start to move and my C4 won't connect unless I drop. Risking a roadkill in addition to being shot while falling to catch them. Why? There's no "spec ops" feeling to the C4 anymore.

And no, Jihad C4 isn't a suitable replacement for it, and I have done it in BF3 and with the new drift mechanics on the open air jeep, it just doesn't feel satisfying.

2San

Argh haven't played a multiplayer shooter on the PC's for years and it shows. Forgetting what a button does in singplayer is no biggy, but in multiplayer noobiness gets punished so hard. Don't feel like playing the singleplayer campaign to get used to the controls either. It's going to be a long journey.

Smokey

mcrae said:
dear smokeyGAF:

i didnt see you on my minimap the first time you asked for ammo, so i stopped paying attention to it. didnt feel you shoot me nor notice you run-by me.

then second time you started complaining i figured you had died since the first time, and since you didnt reiterate your ammo request i didnt bother again, so dont know why you double flipped.

either way i stand by my advice that you should 'use less bullets'
sincerely, mcrae

A+ post

2San said:
Argh haven't played a multiplayer shooter on the PC's for years and it shows. Forgetting what a button does in singplayer is no biggy, but in multiplayer noobiness gets punished so hard. Don't feel like playing the singleplayer campaign to get used to the controls either. It's going to be a long journey.

Come play with us, Danny.

Tik-Tok

Has anyone notices a Decrease in performance with the AMD drivers?
I didn't have the show fps on before, but it felt like the fps lowered and now I'm getting only about 30 fps. :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
sflufan said:
Which is completely contradictory to what was said earlier on.

Yea, I know. Not sure who to believe. Guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find out for sure. Wasn't it demize that said it would be in same server rotation?

sflufan

Banned
This is just like yesterday when one tweet said that there are no current plans for reserved slots and another that said that they are coming once server back-end issues are settled.

I swear that Twitter is absolutely the WORST form of communication ever developed.

sflufan

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
I don't really understand twitter to well, but it looks like the latest tweet about B2K came from the main Battlefield 3 account?

Which is a general PR account as opposed to individual DICE developer accounts. Personally, I'd just ignore everything anyone says on Twitter.

Anton Sugar said:
Ugh, DICE really needs to get on the same fucking page. zh1nt0 said they would be in the same rotation last week.

tower-caspian.jpg

jorma said:
weird, because this sort of kill lag has been less frequent for me in bf3 compared to every other shooter i played this gen.

Reading the MW3 OT and it is one of the major complaints. These posts are always the same tnough. Poster says he is a COD player but giving BF3 a chance. BF3 doesn't play like COD and gets pissed. Plays COD and is happy. Goes to BF3 thread to bitch that BF3 isn't COD.

jorma

is now taking requests
Anton Sugar said:

I think i've done it twice or even three times already :X

I blame me more than the game though, and i'm sort of glad they toned down c4 because i hate dying to it even more than i like killing with it.

Stallion Free said:
Someone is lying, who was it who lied about the Caspian tower?

Demize said it was climbable (which was true in the Beta) and destructible (never "true"), I believe.

And my mistake, zh1nt0 "confirmed" same rotation, not Demize. zh1nt0 is a CM.

I'm leaning towards integration, since a Q&A "confirmed" that the new weapons will be integrated into vanilla as well.

At least I hope.

iam220

Sethos said:

Isn't call of duty client side detection too? Either way, it's lag and lag fucks things up. Client side detection isn't even all that bad, it has its advantages just like server side. Neither one is objectively better than the other, just different ways of masking lag.

I play a lot of shooters and the net-code in this game gets 0 complaints from me.

Anton Sugar said:
I'm leaning towards integration, since a Q&A "confirmed" that the new weapons will be integrated into vanilla as well.

I think he said the weapons will be unlocked in vanilla by completing "assignments". Wonder what that means.

jorma

is now taking requests
iam220 said:
Isn't call of duty client side detection too? Either way, it's lag and lag fucks things up. Client side detection isn't even all that bad, it has its advantages just like server side. Neither one is objectively better than the other, just different ways of masking lag.

I play a lot of shooters and the net-code in this game gets 0 complaints from me.

Also important to remember when that happens is that you would still be as dead, just without the glimmer of hope that you got to safety :)

StevieP

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
I had the guy rebuild it because the cable management was horrible, and I had him OC it for me. I also had him set it up so that when I wasn't gaming, my 2600k did all of the work. to save energy. Problem was that he had set so that the mobo was outputting video, but that wasn't allowing me to do 3D so I had to revert back to using the mini hdmi port on my 580 (twin frozr)

I've never been able to get Crysis 2 to run with DX11/Texture pack, BC2 is now crashing as soon as it tries to load into the game. BF3 was running really well for most of the campaign but is now crashing. Metro 2033 doesn't do well either.

I assume because you're using the onboard GPU (or were) that you're on an H67 motherboard and were using LucidLogix Virtu GPU virtualization software. Either go back to using that video virtualization software (remember it has to be either turned off or turned on). And if playing with that software doesn't help your crashes, uninstall it completely and turn off your onboard video card, and go back to using only your 580. Alternatively, make sure the software is up to date. The version that's on the motherboard's CD is buggy and incomplete, and there was an update that solved a lot of the troubles.

Remember, your 580 will also use a lot less power when it's not doing much. Not as little as the built-in video on the i7, mind you, but at least you won't crash. I'm not 100% either of those steps will help you, but I'd consider it likely based on my own experience with the H67.

iam220

jorma said:
Also important to remember when that happens is that you would still be as dead, just without the glimmer of hope that you got to safety :)

Pretty much, "you're already dead". I can see how being told late about it can piss people off, but the guy who got you while you were "behind cover" got you fair and square on his screen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tik-Tok said:
Has anyone notices a Decrease in performance with the AMD drivers?
I didn't have the show fps on before, but it felt like the fps lowered and now I'm getting only about 30 fps. :(
Try disabling tessellation and turning on all the driver optimizations. Those settings get reset when you install new drivers.

kendrid

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
IRNV actually hasn't become as big of a problem as I thought it would be, for me. I thought after two weeks, every single person would be using it, so I keep waiting for it to appear in the killcam loadout, but it hasn't been as frequent as I worried.

It still absolutely needs to be nerfed in some way.

The M320 Smoke is a very useful counter to the IRNV. The IRNV cannot see through the smoke and renders it useless.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
kendrid said:
The M320 Smoke is a very useful counter to the IRNV. The IRNV cannot see through the smoke and renders it useless.

Yesterday some guy was using an outfit that made the IRNV nearly useless. At first I thought it was a hack - I was looking at him right through my scope and he was 96% not glowing. Could barely see him.

Keepthechange

Neo Member
commish said:
Yesterday some guy was using an outfit that made the IRNV nearly useless. At first I thought it was a hack - I was looking at him right through my scope and he was 96% not glowing. Could barely see him.

Yeah its the spec ops camo I believe

kendrid

Banned
commish said:

There are a couple of camos that render the IRNV useless. I am surprised they are considering nerfing it since they built in ways to counter it already. In a few weeks 'everyone' will have that camo and should be using it. Last night I was one of those jerks using the IRNV on rush (defense) and only one team used smoke against me. Once they did that they easily took both A and B.

edit: Here are images of the different camos and IRNV:
http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Tik-Tok

SapientWolf said:
Try disabling tessellation and turning on all the driver optimizations. Those settings get reset when you install new drivers.

Thank you MR. Wolf. I shall try that when I get home!

Edit: Which driver optimizations are you talking about?

SteveWD40

Quick question, can you set the game to launch in full screen and not a window? and once you change the settings (say in the campaign) and restart they will carry over to MP?

About to take the plunge on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom