• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

rance said:
This game can do 32 players on console? God damn it MS, other games have done this already come onnnnnn.
What does MS have to do with it? I thought DICE said it's a bandwith problem on consoles.

Divius

Wait, how many people can play on console now? Not even 32? wat? Doesn't that defeat the entire feeling of a true Battlefield?

Massa

mcrae said:
doesnt let the game past cert? not sure entirely what that means cause im not aware of the industry practices, (though i know cert stands for certification)

but why wouldnt dice just go "ok" and continue 24p on xbox, but up it to 32 on ps3?

Then you'd have three different versions of the game to balance instead of two, in addition to having Microsoft being very unhappy with you. All for that sake of the least popular version being slightly better.

mcrae

Massa said:
Then you'd have three different versions of the game to balance instead of two, in addition to having Microsoft being very unhappy with you. All for that sake of the least popular version being slightly better.

balance? i thought all the versions were identical except for player limits.

def sim

&Divius said:
Wait, how many people can play on console now? Not even 32? wat? Doesn't that defeat the entire feeling of a true Battlefield?

24. Maps are scaled so it feels busy enough, but it could be busier.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sara_is_anxious said:
MAG, 256 players, don't always believe what devs say.

ITT: We don't understand what engine performance means.

TURNCLOAK said:
A "classic weapon and vehicle" mode for Wake Island ala BF1943 would be cool...

I do hope they do some kind of conversion like they did with Bad Company 2 (Vietnam). A classic WW2 style with this engine would be amazing.

Gui_PT

The Faceless Master said:
exploit? you mean someone got flown up in a MAV and the others spawned on him or a beacon?

Yes. You're obviously not supposed to be there because you don't even touch the ground while walking there, it just looks like you're floating. It's impossible to kill you from the outside. I had to fly my MAV there and run them all over.

Raide

TURNCLOAK said:
Backstab and Bridge Too Far in Frostbite 2...

Are you reading this, DICE?

Being able to nuke the bridge, topple the buildings and cause untold vehicular damage on Bridge Too Far? Yes please!

sara_is_anxious said:
MAG, 256 players, don't always believe what devs say.

It's MS and Live policy that keeps the player counts low from what I understand. MAG was a first party Sony game so they were able to do whatever they wanted.

Samus4145

If MS has a problem that its their problem. Up the count on PS3, and watch how MS demands it for 360 as well. Don't gimp one console sure to the other. That's why they are separate.

12974069.png

Let me brag a little. First and only death at the very end of match. Got 7500 points from combat efficiency badges.

U2NUMB said:
How is it a MS policy issue? Homefront did 32 and Frontlines back in the day was I think well over 50. I do not think this is accurate.

Actually think it's dependent on if there are dedicated servers set up for the game which could be the error. Games that are p2p have a limit, but if you have servers set up for the game then you can go high as you want. BF3 on consoles use dedicated EA servers no? If so then the game should be able to host more players in matches.

def sim

BattleMonkey said:
Actually think it's dependent on if there are dedicated servers set up for the game which could be the error. Games that are p2p have a limit, but if you have servers set up for the game then you can go high as you want. BF3 on consoles use dedicated EA servers no? If so then the game should be able to host more players in matches.

I just want someone to blame at this point.

U2NUMB

BattleMonkey said:

Most certainly they are dedicated servers so I see no issues as it was done with a game earlier this year on the 360 and PS3.

I highly doubt Kaos and THQ have more pull than Dice and EA.

big_z

sara said:
MAG, 256 players, don't always believe what devs say

theres the first party benefit as mentioned above but in mag you dont really play with 256 players, you are instanced in a much smaller battle that affects the overall outcome. (EDIT: i guess you do actually play with 256 players)

in battlefield vehicles and map destruction takes up a bunch of bandwidth. this is why you hear dice say they could do more players but destruction or vehicles would be cut.

all the data being sent and received during a multiplayer match has to fit under the size limit set by microsoft years ago. back then it was to ensure that players with bad connections could still play. however microsoft hasnt adjusted the limit along with ever increasing much higher internet speeds we have today.

What does MS have to do with it? I thought DICE said it's a bandwith problem on consoles.

EA runs the servers but they still have to adhere to microsofts xbox live requirements. it's stupid but people shouldnt blame microsoft. the limit likely hasnt changed because most developers dont need more bandwidth for their games. the dice guy admitted that they could request more bandwidth. here's the quote:

I didn't mean that MS won't allow us to have 32 players, it is a matter of them securing quality to make sure that bandwidth to client never goes over a certain bitrate.

As a developer you can get waivers for things like having higher bandwidth (Don't ask me how ), it is of course in their interest that our games are as good as possible on their platforms

here's another quote that some might find interesting:
There is nothing (that I know of) that limits the number of players in frostbite, and if there is, it is probably a bug. I've tested running over 80 players locally (client-server) on the consoles when measuring performance and it works just fine (except framerate).

big_z said:
theres the first party benefit as mentioned above but in mag you dont really play with 256 players, you are instanced in a much smaller battle that affects the overall outcome.

in battlefield vehicles and map destruction takes up a bunch of bandwidth. this is why you hear dice say they could do more players but destruction or vehicles would be cut.

all the data being sent and received during a multiplayer match has to fit under the size limit set by microsoft years ago. back then it was to ensure that players with bad connections could still play. however microsoft hasnt adjusted the limit along with the much higher internet speeds we have today.

EA runs the servers but they still have to adhere to microsofts xbox live requirements. it's stupid but people shouldnt blame microsoft. the limit likely hasnt changed because most developers dont need more bandwidth for their games and dice was too lazy to ask for the okay.
Why does map destruction take up bandwidth? Shouldn't it just tell everyone player actions and the consoles themselves damage the maps based on those actions? I thought all you had to send was player coordinates and current action data, and the console would actually process what they mean.

darkwing

big_z said:
theres the first party benefit as mentioned above but in mag you dont really play with 256 players, you are instanced in a much smaller battle that affects the overall outcome.

all 256 players can meet in one point in the map in MAG, have you even played it?

big_z

darkwing said:
all 256 players can meet in one point in the map in MAG, have you even played it?

i havent i was just going by what i remember hearing on a garnetts podcast a long time ago. they said something about the local battle around you being treated like an instance which is how they could get to 256 players.

Regarding MAG, I think MAG might not download player co-ordinates, actions, etc for players a certain distance away.

E.G. Player A will not download Player Z's actions, etc until he is within 500 meters.

This is obviously pure speculation.

Additionally comparing MAG to BF3 is unfair due to the fact that

A)BF3 uses far more bandwidth per player than MAG and has destruction as well as vehicles
B)MAG was designed and built with 256 players in mind from the start, so the engine, character models, map design, etc were all catered towards meeting this goal. That was there USP.

U2NUMB

Metalmurphy said:
I think the policy is about bandwidth and not just player amount. BF3 netcode most likely uses more bandwidth then homefront.

Now that would make more sense. Considering what Homefront was doing and what BF3 is doing I can see there being a big difference in the bandwidth used. I would imagine that injecting fun into a game sucks up a ton of bandwidth.

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't know what GAF's problem is, but on public servers (and there should be more noobs than in private ones) I always see a bunch of people playing support.
It's never underpresented.
What is, is the Repair-class and people who are able to use RPGs or Stinger...

I just started playing Engineer again and it see,s like the RPG's are worthless against tanks versus C4. I am really fighting with it right now.

Binabik15

The_Player said:
Awesome stats
Let me brag a little. First and only death at the very end of match. Got 7500 points from combat efficiency badges.

Show off.

Not that I´m jealous...no way.

Stalking your battlelog page and you´ve over 400 shotgun kills? Holy crap. Teach me.

What region are you playing in?

OldJadedGamer said:
I just started playing Engineer again and it see,s like the RPG's are worthless against tanks versus C4. I am really fighting with it right now.

Well C4 takes lot more work to use having to get in close. Some people are just more comfortable staying far away plinking away at the tanks than having to risk themselves getting close.

mcrae said:
doesnt let the game past cert? not sure entirely what that means cause im not aware of the industry practices, (though i know cert stands for certification)

but why wouldnt dice just go "ok" and continue 24p on xbox, but up it to 32 on ps3?
because there's a clause where the game is supposed to have feature parity with the PS3 version in certain areas and MS doesn't let the game pass cert.

derFeef said:
bandwidth "problem" as in MS policies have a bandwidth limit on games that was laid out almost a decade ago and hasn't been upped to 2011 levels.

with the data from players, vehicles, destruction, etc, they're right at the limit.

U2NUMB said:
How is it a MS policy issue? Homefront did 32 and Frontlines back in the day was I think well over 50. I do not think this is accurate.

Here is the 360 art for Homefront
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3642594/Homefront-Xbox360CoverSleeve.jpg
the policy is on BANDWIDTH USAGE, not PLAYERS

obviously, different games with different amounts of things to sync (players, vehicles, destruction, etc) will have different amounts of bandwidth usage.

there was a quote saying they could do way more than 24 players on console, but obviously, the framerate was worse and the bandwidth usage was beyond what the first parties allowed.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
leng jai said:
I can't wait for the expansion pack. Really half of these maps are pathetic in conquest.

Same here. Caspian Border and Kharg Island are the only two I really enjoy atm. Operation Firestorm is ok, but the CPs on the west side of the road are so same-y that I only have fun in aircraft.

I really wish DICE would rework the CPs on all maps to give them more strategic value. Make more vehicles spawn at certain CPs or something. Right now, teams just trade them back and forth and the only thing that matters is who holds more, which I understand is the basis of Conquest but it's not very strategic.

Getting rid of uncaps would be great too...at least make it a server option.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
BattleMonkey said:
Well C4 takes lot more work to use having to get in close. Some people are just more comfortable staying far away plinking away at the tanks than having to risk themselves getting close.

C4 used to get me when I was in a tank, but now I just listen for the stupid guy yelling "C4 planted!" I'm able to get out almost every time now, kill the dude, then continue on my merry way. It's a lot easier to kill a tank with RPGs. If the tank has a competent gunner and some cannister, forget C4.

Violater

Mag pretty mush was the best FPS this gen, ruined by the console player ethic of moving on when something new comes out and Zipper's reluctance to fix some shit before it was too late.
SVER easy mode etc etc.
Edit and MAG was full fucking 256 players, just check when I used to drop artillery strikes to help out other platoons, XP heaven, so please if you have not played the game shhhh

As for BF3 on consoles some of the maps do seem sparse to me, and not being able to climb the tower on Caspian is just BS

Using a buggy/jeep to flank tanks and quickly plant C4 is such a rewarding art. Buddy in the jeep drops you off/distracts the tank while you plant C4.

The key is getting dropped off on the SIDE of the tank. Been run over too many times
lol.gif

BattleMonkey said:

It feels like it takes 5 rockets to do the damage of one C4.

commish said:
C4 used to get me when I was in a tank, but now I just listen for the stupid guy yelling "C4 planted!" I'm able to get out almost every time now, kill the dude, then continue on my merry way. It's a lot easier to kill a tank with RPGs. If the tank has a competent gunner and some cannister, forget C4.

I usually never try to run away though. I blow myself up before they can get out. I have only been caught once or twice by a guy popping out of the tank. The folks that fail at C4 are the ones not willing to take one for the team.

Enkidu

Metalmurphy said:
Fix your filters?

I can find tons of servers servers with lots of people on all game modes.
Yeah, I usually have no problem finding a server to play on but sometimes the filters go crazy and I only get like 3 servers with people on them. Based on bf3stats it seems like it's the 360 version where the player count is starting to fall behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom