• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks playing on servers that are almost always full. If a spot becomes avaliable you know it's on the losing team. Been on winning team 2 out of my 11 last matches. I must be so bad I bring down the other 31 players.

Dash27 said:
Yep Seine River in France. I pronounce it "Sane"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seine

The only reason I know this was back in 7th grade a teacher asked me where the Seine River was and I responded "In sane?"

:cool story bro:

Hmmm, maybe in the US its pronounced "sane", but in French (and probably UK English as well) its pronounced "sen".

Don't know why I care so much about people pronouncing it correctly. lol

Thrakier

I have a question...I noticed some sort of "flickering" on some of the weapon models, for example the shotgun. You can see that at the strcuture on top of the weapon the picture is not perfectly still...it's not the whole weapon, just that structure. Is that a normal behvaior?

Milly79

scogoth said:
Well theres your problem.

I don't see how... The population couldn't have went down THAT much. Like I said, it changes every time I refresh so it's never consistent with only 2 servers available.

artist

Banned
Which kit unlock should I go for next? G36?

jxDyM0GiRraCr.png

Moostache

As the title of the post would imply, I am primarily a console gamer; however, I have a PC that is easily capable of handling BF3 with very nice framerates and options on (i5-2500; 8 GB RAM, HD6850 GPU)...I have BF:BC2 on the PC (picked it up during Steam's summer sale) and I HATE playing it on the PC!

I played that game incessantly on XB360 and even though I suck in terms of accuracy and k/d, I always play to the objectives and generally enjoy the games for what they are...don't obsess at all about the other guy having an advantage or anything else. What I DO bug out about it using the damn kb/m controls.

The mouse part for aiming I get just fine - precision and accuracy are immensely easier with the mouse than a controller.

Its the goddamn keyboard that pisses me off!

I get wasted all the time because of 1) hitting the wrong keys to move, 2) hitting the wrong keys to jump/crouch/sprint/spot/etc. or 3) looking at the keyboard to figure it out and dying as a result.

I get the aiming thing with kb/m....what I do not get is the idea that MOVEMENT is any better with it than with a controller. A controller makes moving the on-screen character far more intuitive (to me) than moving a character with a kb/m.

Soooo...what am I missing here?

Is it all a matter of practice and being used to using the keys on the kb/m for on-screen actions that makes this particular problem go away? Or is there something else to it?

IMO, if I ever had a right analog stick that handled aiming as well as a normal mouse, I really wouldn't want to bother with the keyboard method ever again...

Please, master race, point me in the right direction to appreciate the use of the keyboard over a controller.

Salacious Crumb

Moostache said:
As the title of the post would imply, I am primarily a console gamer; however, I have a PC that is easily capable of handling BF3 with very nice framerates and options on (i5-2500; 8 GB RAM, HD6850 GPU)...I have BF:BC2 on the PC (picked it up during Steam's summer sale) and I HATE playing it on the PC!

I played that game incessantly on XB360 and even though I suck in terms of accuracy and k/d, I always play to the objectives and generally enjoy the games for what they are...don't obsess at all about the other guy having an advantage or anything else. What I DO bug out about it using the damn kb/m controls.

The mouse part for aiming I get just fine - precision and accuracy are immensely easier with the mouse than a controller.

I get wasted all the time because of 1) hitting the wrong keys to move, 2) hitting the wrong keys to jump/crouch/sprint/spot/etc. or 3) looking at the keyboard to figure it out and dying as a result.

I get the aiming thing with kb/m....what I do not get is the idea that MOVEMENT is any better with it than with a controller. A controller makes moving the on-screen character far more intuitive (to me) than moving a character with a kb/m.

Is it all a matter of practice and being used to using the keys on the kb/m for on-screen actions that makes this particular problem go away? Or is there something else to it?

IMO, if I ever had a right analog stick that handled aiming as well as a normal mouse, I really wouldn't want to bother with the keyboard method ever again...

Please, master race, point me in the right direction to appreciate the use of the keyboard over a controller.

There's no trick to it, it just takes practice. It's clunky at first but because your pushing buttons with all five fingers you'll soon see that your able to do certain things much faster and without having to stop moving or aiming like you do on a controller.

Nome

Moostache said:

You just need to get used to it. If you're just using WASD, you don't ever really need to shift your fingers away from those keys anyway. A decent gaming mouse with more than your standard 3 buttons can also help. For example, I bind grenade to my middle mouse button, and melee to one of the side buttons.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Moostache said:

I find using the arrow keys to move (omg, the horror!) to make life MUCH easier. I know a lot of people hate this because it doesn't give you easy access to as many keys as the WASD, but I've used this method since forever and have no problem using additional keys (delete, end, ctrl, shift, etc). Having extra buttons on my mouse helps!

In other news, does anyone actually use cannister with their tank? I am finding guided shells to be just too awesome. Being able to fire two shells almost at the same time is just devastating in tank battles.

Are you not familiar with keyboards yet, even just for typing?

Controls are pretty much the same across all FPS games on the PC. There's just slight variation here and there for some games (C vs Ctrl for crouching for example).

I had the same problem when I cam back to PC gaming after a few years off. Trust me, keep playing the game and within 5-10 hours you'll be as good as everyone else as far as keyboard use is concerned.

Now jets on the other hand...I have to use the Xbox 360 controller.

Spl1nter

RibbedHero said:
I had the same problem when I cam back to PC gaming after a few years off. Trust me, keep playing the game and within 5-10 hours you'll be as good as everyone else as far as keyboard use is concerned.

Now jets on the other hand...I have to use the Xbox 360 controller.

I love the fact that people now think that jets are so bad that they wont even fly them. This is of course on conquest large. Just allows me to have air superiority easier and finish at the top of the server.

Spl1nter said:
I love the fact that people now think that jets are so bad that they wont even fly them. This is of course on conquest large. Just allows me to have air superiority easier and finish at the top of the server.

Just uploaded this one. Not as fun as the others, but has a number of OG Dawn of the Dead-style moments where you clean up after my sloppy shots/spotting.

Spl1nter said:

I don't think they're bad at all. I was merely saying that I have a hard time controlling them with the KB/M and choose to use a 360 controller instead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Spl1nter said:

You're a better man getting in them than I. I unlocked the IR flares and heat seekers and have stayed on the ground since. LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK does me no favors since I can't hear the right "moment" to use the flares.

TheSeks said:
You're a better man getting in them than I. I unlocked the IR flares and heat seekers and have stayed on the ground since. LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK does me no favors since I can't hear the right "moment" to use the flares.

:-\ That sucks.

Odrion

Banned
I guess I'll post here?

Been playing a bit of Battlefield 3's multiplayer, I want to say 5 hours worth. Here's my impressions.

The game feels like it's balanced for 32 players, most 64 player games turn into outright chaos. ESPECIALLY Operation Metro, what an unplayable (yet very farmable!) map that becomes in 64 player matches.

I like the maps in Bad Company 2 better, they had good design and flow. The maps here are either too open ended to the point where anyone can be anywhere, or they become extremely bottlenecked. Again, this becomes extremely apparent on 64 player maps.

The progression system is better than Bad Company 2, but still fucking awful and totally misses the sort of smart design Infinity Ward had with their COD games. With COD4, in the beginning you're 70-80% as viable as people at max level. And that gap quickly closes. In this game, you're pretty goddamn worthless for the first couple of hours. And this sort of progression punishes you for not staying with one class. With this sort of game, a credit system would be much MUCH better than experience bars. Let me grind with Assault/Medic, and then buy equipment for Support.

Still, better than Bad Company 2 where the first 15 hours your bullets are weaker than everyone elses.

Also while it's a pretty game, but MAN do the effects get in your way. I've died so many times due to soldiers being covered up by stupid skull/class and mission icons cluttering up everything, or getting blinded by the sun, or teammate's flashlights blinding my eyes, and the general particle effects. It's a gorgeous game, but it's depressing when I'm thinking of making it uglier to improve my play.

(also why can an enemy blind me with a flashlight in the desert, I like the idea of the flashlight attachment being a weapon with the threat of exposing yourself, but still.)

And too many explosions. chris hanson almighty an assault getting an ammo box turns them into an infinite grenade cannon. Not to mention how easily accessible explosive weapons are. I understand why they should be in there, but can my screen please stop shaking for possibly one second?

Regardless, I actually like the game! The gunplay feels extremely satisfying, I enjoy people (or myself) not instantly dying (unless an explosion hits you, which is like 50% of the time). The game looks great and those moments as you're riding on a Jeep and three jets collide into a helicopter that drops right in front of you, veering off track and jumping out right as your driver hits a gas station, still feels really cool. All that stuff above me is annoying, but you take what you get.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Milly79 said:

I think that's a bug, no? Happens to me as well but after a few minutes, refresh, it reverts back to being full.

Last night I ticked off all US territories, Asia and Australia. Out of 75 pages, about 40+ were full. Not bad, I think.

I highly doubt there's only 20+ people playing in the whole world for 360. I play on PS3 and reports are that the 360 has outsold the PS3 version two times. :)

Demon Ice

Banned
I don't know what special brand of crack DICE was smoking when they decided to go about designing that idiotic flight ceiling / giant field of molasses in the sky. A 10 second out of bounds countdown would have been infinitely better. Not to mention some sort of audible warning when you're actually approaching the height limit.

X-Frame

Apologies if this has been asked to death -- but as far as console differences are concerned, which version would be the better one to go with overall?

I'm not too concerned with visual differences, it's mostly the performance aspect I am most interested in comparing, i.e. the servers on the 360 v. PS3, bugs, glitches, etc ..

JoeMartin

So I've discovered on Kharg Island rush that you can fly a frogfoot over to the US LHD, hop out, and man their AA turret.

The fun part is that the AA turret is invincible and mows down all their air that only spawns on the LHD from point blank range as soon as someone gets in it.

Hilarious? Yes. Broken? Probably. So much rage.

Sometimes it sucks to be on a team that just steam rolls the opponents. We even were planning on getting some good video, but there's nothing exciting about watching a team get dominated round after round.

Stealth brag?

Daigoro

excaliburps said:
Holy balls! I just had a few awesome rounds of BF3! One of my friends who have only touched CS and BF 1943 waaay back seems to have been hooked in!

There were four of us in a full squad, mics and all and we played a few close rounds with another awesome team. 12 on 12 at its finest! Damn if that wasn't fun!

My friend was suddenly, "Get B! I'll cover you guys" or something and we played Kharg, Metro and Seine. We all have work tom and it's already close to 2:30 and we just finished. They just said that after work tom we'll play again.

This vibe of teamwork and working for the greater good (objectives) is what makes Battlefield so fucking great. My newbie friend had rounds where he went 9-22, 3-14, but he didn't give a shit. He went after objectives and resupplied people. His score was always near the top 3 of the scoreboard because of it. I asked him if he liked it and he gave a resounding "yes."

I cannot wait for B2K. Heck, even with just 9 maps now we're playing the shit out of it. Imagine what new vehicles, weapons and maps will do, no?

Sorry, tl:dr, just had a nerd-boner in BF3.

yes! when it all comes together like that its a thing of beauty. those are the best moments in BF.

Anton Sugar said:
Sometimes it sucks to be on a team that just steam rolls the opponents. We even were planning on getting some good video, but there's nothing exciting about watching a team get dominated round after round.

Stealth brag?

nah, no brag. some teams are just dogshit. getting stuck on one of those teams that cant get shit done is horrible too. a decent squad can usually even things up, but if one team is organized (or just plain capable) and the other isnt, its a nightmare.

i like winning, but steamrolling does get boring if the other teams just has no answer.

mr_nothin

Banned
JoeMartin said:
So I've discovered on Kharg Island rush that you can fly a frogfoot over to the US LHD, hop out, and man their AA turret.

The fun part is that the AA turret is invincible and mows down all their air that only spawns on the LHD from point blank range as soon as someone gets in it.

This can happen in conquest too and it can happen on canal. It's so stupid

tsigo

JoeMartin said:

Wow, that's a dick move. But it's in the game, so it should be abused as much as possible until DICE is forced to act. Simple fix, make it so you can only get in your own team's AA gun.

JoeMartin said:

hey, stop doing that plz.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anton Sugar said:
We pretty much had all bases captured for four rounds straight. At one point we had both choppers on Damavand
lol.gif

Yeah, I hopped into that game (totally randomly) and got caught in a gaf hatestorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom