• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

OldJadedGamer said:
I usually never try to run away though. I blow myself up before they can get out. I have only been caught once or twice by a guy popping out of the tank. The folks that fail at C4 are the ones not willing to take one for the team.

Yeah, same here. Tank players have adapted and they totally underestimated how stupid us support players can be when we want to blow something up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SapientWolf said:
They're a vehicle so it makes sense.

s/vehicle/equipment. Yeah, it's mind boggling how DICE doesn't allow that already. But it isn't like you can't counter mortars already. Just place the crosshair on the non-stop mortar icon, fire. O/Square->Death and moved to another location to kill the next spammer.

ucking retarded giving mortars to the class with infinite ammo if you ask me, fucking even more retarded allowing them to spam from areas the other team cannot reach.

Except you can... suicide run the out of bounds to pew pew the dude. Get close to out of bounds and in cover. Mortar set up, cross-hair, fire. Kill the dude out of bounds.

It's COMPLETELY possible to stop nearly all mortar spam currently, it's just a PITA to have to unlock/switch to do that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SapientWolf said:
They're a vehicle so it makes sense. Can EOD bots destroy them as well?

Well EOD can kill the operator so it already nullifies it there. But the problem is mortars in uncap or nearly impossible to reach areas.

AndyD said:
Well EOD can kill the operator so it already nullifies it there. But the problem is mortars in uncap or nearly impossible to reach areas.

I've found that unless a target is completely still mortars are useless. Also snipers could easily pick off mortar guys in the uncap.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Choke on the Magic said:
I've found that unless a target is completely still mortars are useless. Also snipers could easily pick off mortar guys in the uncap.

I think like many other things of balance in the game, there are those dedicated goons relentlessly trying to exploit.

They're easy as shit to counter as the second another mortar goes off, it's visible on the map and you can take them out.

kitch9 said:
They need to do something.

Fucking retarded giving mortars to the class with infinite ammo if you ask me, fucking even more retarded allowing them to spam from areas the other team cannot reach.

Its the one thing that pisses me off with this game.

Mortars with limited ammo would basically be useless and waste of a slot for such a cumbersome item to use that has random hit chance.

Also alot of it is just players own fault that they get spammed. I don't even park in the team spawns that can't be reached, and I have gone many games doing nothing but firing a mortar from the same spot, yet no one would come after me, take me out from the air, or counter mortar me. I'm often amazed at how people just will ignore me and other mortar users when the map shows you exactly where they are. Also amazing when theres air power flying around above you and they don't even attempt to go after you.

iam220

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/me7x0/iama_core_gameplay_designer_on_battlefield_3_amaa/

abuC said:
Wow, this game is completely dead on PC.

There's nothing but empty servers.

This made me chuckle, you won't even be able to say that 5 years from now.

Check this out, Battlelog has a shitty local sort, so if you're sorting by players it will only sort on the data you've got back. Scroll down a bit to trigger an ajax call to retrieve the additional data and THAN do a sort.

Anton Sugar said:
DICE is considering allowing the MAV to destroy mortars to combat mortar spam.

Check the last page, I had the same concern--zh1nt0 posted it on the EA UK Forums.
lol, MAV destroy mortars...

i guess everyone just complains and nobody counter mortars.

i got TEN FREE KILLS in a game the other day because the attacking team had 3 dudes mortaring and after seeing nobody else do it, i decided to counter mortar.

drop ammo, set mortar, wait... see mortar, kill dude... ON TO THE NEXT ONE

i even got a double kill because two of them put their mortars so close to each other...

after dying 3x each with no way to respond to me, they stopped mortaring.

and even if they had continued? MORE FREE KILLS!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Faceless Master said:

i got TEN FREE KILLS in a game the other day because the attacking team had 3 dudes mortaring and after seeing nobody else do it, i decided to counter mortar.

i even got a double kill because two of them put their mortars so close to each other...

Very few people play support effectively. It's practically a miracle if someone drops an ammo box.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If they increase suppression, the way they discussed for the patch, mortaring will be more useful not as a kill tool, but a suppression tool. Balance that with limited ammo and you make it more tolerable for players I think.

Spl1nter

Anton Sugar said:
Some vids of GAF in action over the weekend:

I think Striketh has the slightly crackly mic, Spl1nter sounds like he doesn't give a fuck, and the third is Scogoth. My voice didn't get recorded.

Thats because I dont give a fuck.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AndyD said:
If they increase suppression, the way they discussed for the patch, mortaring will be more useful not as a kill tool, but a suppression tool. Balance that with limited ammo and you make it more tolerable for players I think.
Does that potential increase apply to all weapons or just mortars?

Hellcrow

I finally find a competent team. The game is really close, and I've racked up a bunch of points and fun. Right when there is 40 tickets on both teams, and we have more points, the game crashes.

God, it gives me cake it rippes it out of my hand after two bites.

mm04

The Faceless Master said:

Yep, I'm not an expert at countering, but the absolute first thing you should do once you drop down your mortar, and don't be a pussy and do it at the deployment spot, is scan for the opposing mortars and target them. People who get mortars for the first time get greedy and want to sit there and pound away until someone kills them. To be truly effective, you gotta drop that thing down in some high traffic areas and take out vehicles that are giving your team trouble. Drop it down, get a few key shots in, then uproot and move on. Vehicles/mortars/camped recons are first priority at all times for me.

Hellcrow said:
I finally find a competent team. The game is really close, and I've racked up a bunch of points and fun. Right when there is 40 tickets on both teams, and we have more points, the game crashes.

God, it gives me cake it rippes it out of my hand after two bites.

Server crash or game crash? If the game crashed, you should still get the points once the round ends.

TheSeks

Anton Sugar said:

Kharg Island

I think Striketh has the slightly crackly mic, Spl1nter sounds like he doesn't give a fuck, and the third is Scogoth. My voice didn't get recorded.

Darklink2012: Why do you guys have "FAG" spelled backwards as your clantag?

Oh randoms. So cute when they're clueless and trying to be insulting.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Holy balls! I just had a few awesome rounds of BF3! One of my friends who have only touched CS and BF 1943 waaay back seems to have been hooked in!

There were four of us in a full squad, mics and all and we played a few close rounds with another awesome team. 12 on 12 at its finest! Damn if that wasn't fun!

My friend was suddenly, "Get B! I'll cover you guys" or something and we played Kharg, Metro and Seine. We all have work tom and it's already close to 2:30 and we just finished. They just said that after work tom we'll play again.

This vibe of teamwork and working for the greater good (objectives) is what makes Battlefield so fucking great. My newbie friend had rounds where he went 9-22, 3-14, but he didn't give a shit. He went after objectives and resupplied people. His score was always near the top 3 of the scoreboard because of it. I asked him if he liked it and he gave a resounding "yes."

I cannot wait for B2K. Heck, even with just 9 maps now we're playing the shit out of it. Imagine what new vehicles, weapons and maps will do, no?

Sorry, tl:dr, just had a nerd-boner in BF3.

Spl1nter

TheSeks said:
Darklink2012: Why do you guys have "FAG" spelled backwards as your clantag?

Oh randoms. So cute when they're clueless and trying to be insulting.

poor bastard was kicked/banned only a few moments later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We got a straight answer on mod tools again.

Demize99 said:
voidsheep said:
Did you ever play Forgotten Hope, Project Reality and/or Point of Existence for Battlefield 2?

Is it official stance of DICE that modding Battlefield 3 would be too complex for the modding scene and do you personally agree with it? What do you see as the biggest issue with modding in Battlefield 3?

Is there even a little possibility of showing a little love for the e-sports / LAN party scene in the future by releasing the server files for public?
Well, I played PoE for a little while, while I was working on it.

I don't think it's the complexity of the tools that is the problem, but rather the complexity of middleware and licensing that goes on. No one writes all their own stuff any more, a lot of the software we use we cannot release to the community for legal reasons.

There's a strange sentiment out there that we think mod tools somehow reduce the popularity of DLC. That's rubbish. If the DLC is good people will buy it, even if there are mods out there. If it's bad, people won't buy it. If there are mod tools, then people still have to buy the main product to play. It's win win, it's always been that way.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/me7x0/iama_core_gameplay_designer_on_battlefield_3_amaa/

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anton Sugar said:

Lol @ you stabbing me in the Canals and my friend getting called an elite haxxor.
He was sitting next to me at our LAN party over the weekend lol.

Moostache

Raide said:
Being able to nuke the bridge, topple the buildings and cause untold vehicular damage on Bridge Too Far? Yes please!
I would LOVE an expansion pack for BF3 made up solely of maps from BF:MC...

Backstab or Deadly Pass or Damage fire fights in the cities with destructible buildings? Oh hell yes...that would be insane.

Bridge Too Far would be cool if they added additional capture points on the island away from the bridge and in the back harbor area by the huge storage tanks. It would also be pretty damn sweet to make the towers open to combat and destructible...could be an incredibly fun map with Frostbite 2 and a few tweaks...

belvedere said:
Lol @ you stabbing me in the Canals and my friend getting called an elite haxxor.
He was sitting next to me at our LAN party over the weekend lol.

Love that giddy feeling when the person I'm sneaking up on happens to be a gaffer.

abuC said:
Anton = Goes hard in these Battlefield streets.

That Tehran segment was a lot of fun. Felt like their entire team just wasn't looking in our direction as we swept through C to B.

TheSeks

Nirolak said:

Which is reasonable. I don't think EA is just going to give ANT to modders, you know?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...meplay_designer_on_battlefield_3_amaa/c3076r2 <---Also I have a love and hate relationship with Demize. He trolls me (Y U NO GIVE MP-443 TO US THAT ISN'T LIGHT/SUPRESSOR!? Y U NO GIVE ME GOL SNIPER MAGNUM!?), but he likes some of the things I like as well. :lol

mm04 said:
Yep, I'm not an expert at countering, but the absolute first thing you should do once you drop down your mortar, and don't be a pussy and do it at the deployment spot, is scan for the opposing mortars and target them. People who get mortars for the first time get greedy and want to sit there and pound away until someone kills them. To be truly effective, you gotta drop that thing down in some high traffic areas and take out vehicles that are giving your team trouble. Drop it down, get a few key shots in, then uproot and move on. Vehicles/mortars/camped recons are first priority at all times for me.

It's also smart to besides spotting, to simply use the chatbox to let your team know about the mortars. So many people don't attempt to do anything about mortars and will just keep spawning and rushing into a chokepoint to fight, while mortars rain down. Basically got to scream out for people to pay attention to the map and take out the mortars.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anton Sugar said:
Love that giddy feeling when the person I'm sneaking up on happens to be a gaffer.

That Tehran segment was a lot of fun. Felt like their entire team just wasn't looking in our direction as we swept through C to B.

Worst teams I've ever played on on a GAF server that weekend. It made for easy points though, since no one was doing anything. Most people weren't Gaffers on our side for awhile.

MNC

I fucking HATE HATE HATE when all of a sudden the game freezes for a second for the next 30 seconds. What the fuck triggers it, fuck. Makes me lose firefights and helicopter moments. FUCK. Made me ragequit just now. :/ I play with a decent 30-40fps at medium, yet at totally random moments it seems my graphics card or whatever just seems to take a complete poop.

MNC said:
I fucking HATE HATE HATE when all of a sudden the game freezes for a second for the next 30 seconds. What the fuck triggers it, fuck. Makes me lose firefights and helicopter moments. FUCK. Made me ragequit just now. :/ I play with a decent 30-40fps at medium, yet at totally random moments it seems my graphics card or whatever just seems to take a complete poop.

Sounds like what I was having with textures on ULTRA, which was a problem of not enough VRAM. How much VRAM does ur GPU have?

MNC

Metalmurphy said:
Sounds like what I was having with textures on ULTRA, which was a problem of not enough VRAM. How much VRAM does ur GPU have?
1GB, and I put my textures on Medium because I read the same :/ I still have it.

belvedere said:
Worst teams I've ever played on on a GAF server that weekend. It made for easy points though, since no one was doing anything. Most people weren't Gaffers on our side for awhile.

Yeah, I wish we could get more gaffers on the same team without it being too imbalanced.

belvedere said:
I think like many other things of balance in the game, there are those dedicated goons relentlessly trying to exploit.

They're easy as shit to counter as the second another mortar goes off, it's visible on the map and you can take them out.

Mortars must in hardcore maps.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anton Sugar said:
Yeah, I wish we could get more gaffers on the same team without it being too imbalanced.

The LAN loved the GAF server though, most of them favorited it. They loved the competence in completing objectives. Even after a few weeks of playing, it's hard to find a good server where everyone is on the same page and plays as a team.

Milly79

excaliburps said:
Ah, kinda glad to see it's not just me! :) Yeah, and we have it bad. Asian servers are sometimes only 2 pages and they're all full. Forcing us to play in games with 2 bars in the US, EU, etc.

It goes up and down drastically. I really hope EA fixes this and the squad/voip. Those are the main hassles for me and my friends. Makes squadding up a 10-15 minute process.

360 players still plentiful or has MW3 taken a lot of players out?

Uhh.

Photo_939774A6-B605-7F55-55AC-FE4B650B52E2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom