• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spokker

Foliorum Viridum said:
First three levels are pretty much garbage. Poorly paced, scripted and just not exciting.
I loved the slow parts during the first three levels. Watching some dudes find a wooden plank to figure out how to get to another rooftop is just fascinating to me and helps break up the action. Disappointed to hear it devolves into frantic action without slower pacing.

Spokker said:
I loved the slow parts during the first three levels. Watching some dudes find a wooden plank to figure out how to get to another rooftop is just fascinating to me and helps break up the action. Disappointed to hear it devolves into frantic action without slower pacing.

notsureifserious.gif

Spokker said:
It was never slow enough to be atmospheric. It just felt like it was lacking anything exciting, to me.

Spokker

Foliorum Viridum said:
It was never slow enough to be atmospheric. It just felt like it was lacking anything exciting, to me.
Based on the videos I've seen, I also like when you "get ready" for a big fight or something, such as when they make you check your flaps and shit on that airplane level. How often does that happen?

shagg_187 said:
Campaign's story/setpieces was amazing. AI was shit. Friendly AI was shittier. Scripting was shittiest.
Did you really think the story was amazing? I think MOMENTS of the story were amazing, but overall it felt pretty poorly put together.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Foliorum Viridum said:
Did you really think the story was amazing? I think MOMENTS of the story were amazing, but overall it felt pretty poorly put together.

Here's the question, how is it comparable to MOH?

I thought the MOH SP was pretty good, albeit short.

bluestuff

Man what a great game with the exception of metro. Never worth playing. Such bad map design, be it on conquest or rush, it just devolves into a 20mins kill corridor.

Alienshogun said:

This is much more like CoD action movie style, there are a couple "semi realistic" like scenarios that were kind of neat, but overall it's much more go go go action!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI, Dtoid has a post up telling readers that their review is not up because they didn't attend a "three day review event" EA put on, so as to not taint their opinion of the game.

There was no review event.

Every other site, that has their review up on time, just worked super hard over the weekend to do so, to serve their readers.

Alienshogun said:

Never played it, sorry.

It felt a lot less tied together than the stories in the Modern Warfare games, for a somewhat similar comparison. Slightly more believable in places, but just as far-fetched in others.

I didn't like the way the story was framed by the interrogation of your character and it was very rarely explained fully why you were playing certain scenarios. Certain levels, as cool as they were, felt kinda forced in and to hell with the story.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/Battlefield/status/128623225008685058

Koreans :|
I hope they reset the stats come Friday, not fair that people in NA get to play a few days before people in Europe.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BattleMonkey said:
This is much more like CoD action movie style, there are a couple "semi realistic" like scenarios that were kind of neat, but overall it's much more go go go action!
That's what Medal of Honor is too.

Izayoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
That was pretty much the only time.

Edit: Well, maybe one more, depending on how you view it. Has to do with planting claymores. Not really the same.
Eh. There's usually some downtime before the shooting starts.

The conversation and brief moment before the rush on Guillotine, the car ride in Paris, the ride at the beginning of Thunder Run, etc.

Izayoi said:
Eh. There's usually some downtime before the shooting starts.

The conversation and brief moment before the rush on Guillotine, the car ride in Paris, the ride at the beginning of Thunder Run, etc.
True, I guess.

They just seemed a lot more... normal? The jet check stuff was pretty unique so it stands out. Those moments you brought up you get in most FPS these days.

Izayoi

Banned
vaelic said:
i thought we were able to config our game options outside of game now? dont see a way to do it in battlelo
You can configure them in campaign mode if you want to do it outside of a match.

Izayoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
True, I guess.

They just seemed a lot more... normal? The jet check stuff was pretty unique so it stands out. Those moments you brought up you get in most FPS these days.
Since it's not really a spoiler, I don't remember a game in recent history that had a similar build-up as Thunder Run did.

Izayoi said:
Since it's not really a spoiler, I don't remember a game in recent history that had a similar build-up as Thunder Run did.
It was pretty damn bad ass. It looked really dull at E3, but that mission was probably one of my favourites.

Izayoi

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Which takes forever to load.
Yeah, I guess I'm a bad metric for this. There aren't really any load times for me so everything seems to just work.

Maybe DICE only tested on SSDs?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Ikuu said:
I hope they reset the stats come Friday, not fair that people in NA get to play a few days before people in Europe.
Is this a joke?
Think of all the other games that came out almost a full day before NA got to play?

oh man... just oh man. I live on the West Coast of NA, so i always feel like the last person to get the damn game.

Izayoi said:
Yeah, I guess I'm a bad metric for this. There aren't really any load times for me so everything seems to just work.

Maybe DICE only tested on SSDs?

It was speedy in the beta on non-SSD's. Must be something up.

Izayoi

Banned
dmg04 said:
Is this a joke?
Think of all the other games that came out almost a full day before NA got to play?

oh man... just oh man. I live on the West Coast of NA, so i always feel like the last person to get the damn game.
I think he was being facetious.

For those who played the game, what maps you think are the best? The ones that really interest me right now are Tehran Highway, Operation Firestorm, Kharg Island and Damavand Peak. Which one is the best out of these?

Foliorum Viridum said:

Alright. Let me broaden it up and prevent spoilers as much as I can. The idea behind the story was amazing. The execution was not good. Some of the sequences were mind blowing and there were quite a few "holy shit" moments.

I do agree that it was poorly put together but I never had a dull moment with it. Bad A.I. and scripting really frustrated me though. Enemies disappearing/reappearing/respawning if you don't complete an objective a certain way reminds me of the goddamn cheapness of 90's. This is Battlefield 3, for crying out loud! Freedom is what defines Battlefield and this had none.

I like some of the characters and some of them were forgetful as they are just thrown towards you. Campaign definitely needed to be a bit longer to get "attached" to the characters.

That said, DICE really ventured Modern Warfare territory. I couldn't help but cringe at some of the missions/storyline as they were ripped off STRAIGHT from MW series. Surprised it didn't go "No Russian" territory even though it came real close to it.

Ending was rushed. Very rushed. I didn't even felt like an ending mission since.. well... you'll know soon if you haven't played it (but you have).

Some of the checkpoints were smart, while some of them were just so atrociously painful. Have a 10 minute of firefight, getting killed by laser sighted one-shot shotgun, respawning all the way to the goddamn beginning.

Other times, it was impossible to prevent dying as the game never handled scripting that well. For example: Enter a door, kill a few enemies ahead of you. An enemy runs down the stair so I ignored him and expected the friendly soldiers to take him out. They all just stand staring at each other while the enemy kills me happily. This was avoidable but got annoying after I repeated the damn sequence over a dozen times as this was a VERY long checkpoint.

Another impossible preventing: two soldiers stand side by side the door. I wait for a few seconds for them to bust it open. They didn't so I thought maybe I needed to bust it. As soon as I stand in front of it, suddenly doors become destructible and I die. In fact, there is only one destructible door and A.I. destroys it.

Had a lot of potential. A LOT. I could've really enjoyed single-player if the goddamn game wasn't broken. With that said, some of the scripted setpieces were AMAZING. They had this "thrill" in it and it pumps you up. Sadly, a lot of them were cringe-worthy.

Remember the sequence in the trailer where you shoot the hotel with RPG? Friendly said "3... 2... 1... Supression!!"; I got up and even before I could stand on two feet, I was killed. Great supression! :p

Others included killing shit loads of soldiers, but the mission completes only if you are sitting near a certain pathway or kill a certain soldier. In other cases, some soldiers won't even die cause A.I. was suppose to kill them at a specific moment to start the scripted sequence or the vehicle gunner was meant to be destroyed by a chopper and not by dozen rounds of headshot.

6/10 is what I give the singleplayer. Good try DICE. It was fun playing it, but I was not expecting Modern Warfare in Battlefield. At least MW's AI is smarter.

Of course, multiplayer gets 11/10 in my book! :D

Alienshogun said:

At some instances it's better than MOH SP. In other instances it just flat out rots. Emotionally, nothing came close to the hill-side ambush of MOH though.

They really should've cut the first two missions. Really bad first impressions of what is ultimately a fun, oftentimes stunning campaign.

Side note: PC launch that isn't a fucking disaster. Isn't it refreshing, folks?

AppleSmack said:
For those who played the game, what maps you think are the best? The ones that really interest me right now are Tehran Highway, Operation Firestorm, Kharg Island and Damavand Peak. Which one is the best out of these?

Tehran and Kharg are great.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
These server issues are really starting to get on my nerves, Battlog is great when it works, but it's far more frustrating when something is going wrong.
dmg04 said:
Is this a joke?
No I'm being totally 100% serious.

KaYotiX

Banned
Drewsky said:
Is it weird to go to the midnight release alone?

Just walk in a little after midnight and walk out, no need to stand in a line. I always get a chuckle when people stand in lines for a game :) (you pre-ordered it for a reason)

woober

Just finished single player. I thought it was pretty cool, though it's true that it's nothing game changing. The missions look amazing and makes you feel badass (jet, tank, and stealth missions).

It's practically a much prettier COD campaign, and it inherits the same problems COD has (bad AI, frustrating moments when you die over and over just to experience the same set pieces, and linear gameplay). Fans of COD single player and people with high end PCs should check it out.

Tomorrow is when I'll play the best part of Battlefield 3... multiplayer.

Kuroyume

Banned
It's almooooooost hereeeereee

tumblr_lscvp82JJt1qcxdjv.gif

Damn you west coast

Izayoi

Banned
Drewsky said:
Is it weird to go to the midnight release alone?
Not at all.

bluedeviltron said:
They really should've cut the first two missions. Really bad first impressions of what is ultimately a fun, oftentimes stunning campaign.

Side note: PC launch that isn't a fucking disaster. Isn't it refreshing, folks?
Yeah, the first two missions are kind of baffling after playing the later stuff.

Anyone else having major stuttering problems? Singleplayer runs like a dream, but multiplayer starts gumming up after about ten minutes of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom