• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

Blame that 1 on DICE. I don't know what else there is to do if we have all the flags. Are we supposed to let you capture 1 flag or something? If the uncaps were capable (at least when all other flags were captured) then the game would end much sooner and we would have less base camping.

Exactly how it happened last night for the both of us. Once you capture all the flags or have both MCOMM's secure with the enemy team just sniping and mortaring instead of moving forward, the other team kinda gives you no choice as there's nothing else left to do. It's a very boring situation unless you try to find the chokepoint and get involved in the chaos, and that spot happens to be outside the other team's spawn if they have no flags so why hold back if the other team is already clearly just playing for kills anyway (on a whole and not any person specifically)?

Otherwise, the baserape isn't too bad as long as your team works together to get the bastards out of the area. Whether it's troops set up shop outside of your spawn since they can't actually come in, or if it's jets or choppers above you laying waste to your jets before they take off, you always have the tools necessary to solve the problem. The AA in the base is there for that specific reason. And if you have other flags, then why not just spawn elsewhere and forget about it? Let those guys try and camp outside for kills because all it does is leave other flags less defended while they're miles away.

Team stacking happens but should be easily countered with autobalance mixed with admins. If you don't think there's competent admins on that server, then why play there when there's plenty of other ones out there with active admins? Just like BF2, it's all a matter of finding the right server to call home with a few backups as well. BF2 had the exact same problems with baseraping with it actually being worse in a lot of cases as you could actually survive in the enemy's spawn since nothing was off limits. Admins could fix that problem, but even when they couldn't, it wasn't a big enough problem for me to stop playing.

There's other problems with this game but that I don't have too much of a problem with unless one team has ALL the flags, and if that's the case, then I wouldn't blame anyone for doing the same to me. Frustrating? Yes. Would your team do the same under those circumstances? Hell yes, because no one wants to stand around at a flag that's a ghost town. Like mr_nothin and I were talking about last night, it's all about the teams and we get frustrated as we're usually doing most of the work for a shitty team. But late last night, we had a team that was actually dominating the other team (with us at the top of course :p ) and that made the game 103904858x more enjoyable to where I played the game the most I've ever played in a night. It's all about the team and I won't stay more than a few rounds on a team that consistently loses by 200+ tickets.

In other news, I'm happy as I'm up to $80 towards a new GPU but that's with nothing else left to sell...lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Blame that 1 on DICE. I don't know what else there is to do if we have all the flags. Are we supposed to let you capture 1 flag or something? If the uncaps were capable (at least when all other flags were captured) then the game would end much sooner and we would have less base camping.

Yup. Maps like Grand Bazaar and Tehran Highway shouldn't have uncaps.

Personally I'd like to see all uncaps gone, but it's pretty hard to break out of a base rape on maps with very few vehicles so the infantry focused maps really suffer from them.

this.

BC1 had that one nailed. no uncaps, and if one team has all the bases, the ticket bleed goes into lightspeed.

DICE could even make it so the "home base" is out of bounds until all the other bases are capped and if another base is lost while trying to secure the enemy home base, there's a 30 second timer before it's out of bounds again.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm playing on PS3 and the EA servers keep kicking me out of Single player. WTF?

Yep.

You have 2 choices as given to me by EA support.

Start the campaign again, or delete all the game data on the PS3 and reinstall BF3. I opted to restart the campaign as I was only a mission in.

Anyone getting "The Connection With EA Online Was Lost" errors? I even get these while trying to play the single-player Campaign mode. What gives? It happens whether or not I am signed into PSN.

This BS where I buy a game, and none of its features work other than setting control configs, should these companies not be held responsible? I get servers going down or whatever occasionally, but this is BS that the entire game is non-functional and without any word from EA even noting that there could be a problem.

[edit] nevermind, I wrote post up like an hour or 2 ago and just hit the "post" button, only to find the question was already kind of answered by worldrevolution... thanks! But seriously, how did this game pass ESRB certification?

CozMick

Banned
*shakes fist* My beloved maps will arrive one week later because I play on PC. *shakes two fists*

I just hope the draw distance is increased, even on 100% viewing on PC the fog was ridiculously overdone imo. although maybe it was done intentionally for gameplay purposes?

It wasn't an issue in BF2 because the large size of the maps. Larger maps with more caps makes it easier to get out of a base rape situation since it's alot harder for the opposing team to defend all the flags.

The maps in BF3 so far just make it easy to base camp. Maps like Damavand and Metro are especially awful since they are just basically Rush maps and to break out of a base rape situation on any of these maps is pretty tough.

Caspian is the only decent map for breaking a base rape situation as the caps are spread out more.

1. Get rid of IRNV
2. Mix up the teams after every round(keeping party's from battlelog together)

Then this game would be amazingly more enjoyable. Dont get me wrong, I have no trouble topping the scores against many IRNV uses without actually using one myself. But its those moments where you know there was no chance in hell the enemy would have killed you without its OP'ness. I lol'd playing TDM when using one myself. It's just too easy.

1. Get rid of IRNV
2. Mix up the teams after every round(keeping party's from battlelog together)

Then this game would be amazingly more enjoyable. Dont get me wrong, I have no trouble topping the scores against many IRNV uses without actually using one myself. But its those moments where you know there was no chance in hell the enemy would have killed you without its OP'ness. I lol'd playing TDM when using one myself. It's just too easy.

IRNV is getting nerfed tomorrow on PC

I don't see much hate for the USAS. I fucking hate that weapon.

Depends on the map. On any of the out door larger maps the USAS like many of the shotguns is not that amazing due to it's range. On small shitty maps like Metro, it's a nightmare that has you swearing at the screen.

They are nerfing the damage it does with frag rounds in tomorros PC patch though.

Jakeh111

Depends on the map. On any of the out door larger maps the USAS like many of the shotguns is not that amazing due to it's range. On small shitty maps like Metro, it's a nightmare that has you swearing at the screen.

They are nerfing the damage it does with frag rounds in tomorros PC patch though.
About time!

Pennybags

A shame too, because anyone who has actually used it extensively can see that the other guns are so much more effective.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's just as frustrating when I'm on the giving end as well as the receiving end. Actually, it's almost better to be on the receiving end since there are so many targets. When I'm on the giving end, I end up just driving around, doing jumps and shit because there's no one to shoot (I don't baserape).

If the uncaps were cappable, the unstacked team would just lose 5 maps in the time they'd normally lose 1. I agree, though, that that's preferable to watching 32 players remain in their base camp for 20 minutes.

But the real issue is the stacked teams to begin with. There needs to be some way to balance character levels, if it's only preventing high level players from switching teams to a team that is already a much higher level than the other team. Yes, I know that a level 44 isn't necessarily better than a level 22, but you know what I mean.

Recent Demize tweets, again looking for feedback, this time on sniper rifles:

Thinking of adding a "chest" hit box that would allow 1HK bolt action shots at close range. Looking for Feedback: Trying for a Skill Shot.

Hours later:

The hollow points attachment idea is the most interesting, but given the split response I won't be doing a 1HK hitbox.

I still am open to the idea of bolt sniper tuning, just not sure exactly what at the moment. Most likely a higher dmg but no body 1hk.

I guess you could argue that it's a bad thing that a dev is asking for design ideas. I really like that they are looking to the community, though. They still make some bone-headed decisions, but at least they try to listen.

Octacamo

oh god i hope they did the same for consoles also man i hate that frag thing in shotguns

Recent Demize tweets, again looking for feedback, this time on sniper rifles:

Hours later:

I guess you could argue that it's a bad thing that a dev is asking for design ideas. I really like that they are looking to the community, though. They still make some bone-headed decisions, but at least they try to listen.

i think he's asking for ideas because of the constant bitching about the recon class from some of the player base.

seriously though, people who want to 1hk up close need to use shotguns.

commish

It's both smart and dumb. Dumb from a design perspective for obvious reasons, but smart because building a community and leading them to believe that you care is important.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
this.

BC1 had that one nailed. no uncaps, and if one team has all the bases, the ticket bleed goes into lightspeed.

DICE could even make it so the "home base" is out of bounds until all the other bases are capped and if another base is lost while trying to secure the enemy home base, there's a 30 second timer before it's out of bounds again.

And this is why I think Conquest is "no skill" in BC2 AND BF3. While BC2 had no "uncap base," and it was possible to steal enemy vehicles much to their dismay (and SMH @ having to play "Base Police Seks with his MP-443 to make sure the chopper stays out enemy hands" on Atacama) it was waaaay less boring than BF3. BF3 (and like BC2) is mostly "take all the enemy flags and camp their base. You win, yay!"

Rush has the same problem, but it's far less likely to happen so long as the enemy is attempting to push to where the defense has to stay close to base and push back. It's unfortunate that it does happen often because people don't Play The Fucking Objective at times. :|

Honestly: The recon class is pretty bad. I say that as someone that thinks the "balance" is fine. But the score/points is totally lopsided against them and sniping at times is counter-productive as doing damage with the semi-autos at range (AKA: Sniper-rifle guns should be snipers, you know?) is pitifully poor and you can't see where your shots are landing even with semi-autos to where sniping isn't fun. I dunno how they fucked that, but on BC2 it was perfect. The counter-camping mechanic is fine (and bitchers need to move around more) as is the scope-sway (even if I hate it), but the fact I can't judge my shots from tracer/bullet trace is fucking terrible.

It's both smart and dumb. Dumb from a design perspective for obvious reasons, but smart because building a community and leading them to believe that you care is important.

I dunno. I can understand your reasoning, but if they have no idea on how to balance some of things they included, why not simply ask the community for ideas on how to balance it? I asked for anti-air for a year in BC2 because I got tired of "all the maps are flat. Enjoy our helicopter circle fucks! LOLOLOLOL" and they gave it to me (Or, how I wish that was given I bitched about it in the BC2 thread here for the year). Hence, mobile anti-air/Stingers much to the pilots dismay but to my delight because now if an air-vehicle is starting to become a hassle, I can attempt to take it out. Which wasn't too possible in BC2.

There's nothing wrong with the uncap/fundamental design of Conquest in BF3. You never get spawn camped in Firestorm, Caspian, or Kharg. You get lots of it in Seine and Bazaar. This is purely a flaw of close quarters map design. Once a team is stuck in their spawn in these maps, they are pretty much STUCK in it. Most of the "escape" routes are linear hallways/routes that can easily be choked. Maybe they should change CQ up for close quarters/urban maps, but I'd rather they just design the maps better.

You also get a bit of it in Noshar, Tehran, and Damavand, but those either have air options which help you escape the spawn, or a more free-flowing design.

I must be the only one that enjoys the Recon class in BF3.

I love sniping in BF3, I started out as an engineer but now I'm mostly recon, and I don't even use the MAV.

TheSeks

You also get a bit of it in Noshar, Tehran, and Damavand, but those either have air options which help you escape the spawn, or a more free-flowing design.

Noshar is so lopsided, I would say it's possible to base rape there as well but on consoles the cheesemobile isn't there to where the US team gets sort-of a chance.

Tehran has base rape on consoles (did it yesterday night in fact) if you are able to speed cap C->B->A in that order from the RU base (last set in Rush) to where the US side has to come down the hill and meet anti-tank mines and guided missiles from the tanks.

Damavand you kind-of have a point, but if the enemy takes C, has B, and has a few people at A good luck landing/getting people down there if the people at A are dug in/in-cover to prevent air-chopper-gunning.

commish

I dunno. I can understand your reasoning, but if they have no idea on how to balance some of things they included, why not simply ask the community for ideas on how to balance it? I asked for anti-air for a year in BC2 because I got tired of "all the maps are flat. Enjoy our helicopter circle fucks! LOLOLOLOL" and they gave it to me (Or, how I wish that was given I bitched about it in the BC2 thread here for the year). Hence, mobile anti-air/Stingers much to the pilots dismay but to my delight because now if an air-vehicle is starting to become a hassle, I can attempt to take it out. Which wasn't too possible in BC2.

First, it's impossible to come to a consensus, and only those who speak loudest/most often will be heard. Most players won't even respond, and those that don't, don't necessarily have anyone's interest in mind but their own. If all you do is whore helicopters, are you really going to advocate for changes in flare recharge time and more powerful stingers, even if that's what's actually needed? Also, without any data except anecdotal evidence, it's hard to know the impact a particular change will have. Like, this 1HK to the chest thing. How do any of us know how it'll impact the game?

Asking for ideas is one thing. Nothing wrong with asking for suggestions. But in this particular case, a proposed change was rejected simply because some folks online didn't think it was a good one.

Noshar is so lopsided, I would say it's possible to base rape there as well but on consoles the cheesemobile isn't there to where the US team gets sort-of a chance.

Tehran has base rape on consoles (did it yesterday night in fact) if you are able to speed cap C->B->A in that order from the RU base (last set in Rush) to where the US side has to come down the hill and meet anti-tank mines and guided missiles from the tanks.

Damavand you kind-of have a point, but if the enemy takes C, has B, and has a few people at A good luck landing/getting people down there if the people at A are dug in/in-cover to prevent air-chopper-gunning.

Guess it's different on consoles. On Damavand, for instance, there are five points, which opens up possibilities. My bad--again, coming from a PC perspective. Three flags is never enough, IMO--the CQ game mode seems strangled by it.

this.

ISnt that what Conquest Assauslt is basically? Wont that mode be out in BF3 along with B2K Map Pack?

Also I believe BF: Modern Combat had that mode as well, that game is overlooked but it was the best BF game on console when it comes to features , gametypes & clan support, etc to this day: even above BF3.

Well in BC2 the roll limiter was retarded. Circle strafing took literally no skill and all that was need was to thrust both stick inward and you were making consonant circles (even to the ludicrous point of out circling lock ons) . BF3 there is a stall with the roll limiter so you can't simply ride the limit of the chopper for easy mode. You actually need to pilot the thing. Which is why most choppers are ground litter. The SAM and man pads are there to and do play a big part but for someone who flew a lot in BC2 the change to chopper mechanics is the biggest thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
i think he's asking for ideas because of the constant bitching about the recon class from some of the player base.

I've never had a problem with CQB OHK with bolt actions... because, frankly, it's a lot harder to land the shot with a bolt action than with a shotgun. And the ROF is laughable to a shotgun.

If shotguns can OHK... and there are auto shotguns in the game... who cares if a recon pegs you from the hip (with no crosshairs!!!).

I say they earned that kill.

There's nothing wrong with the uncap/fundamental design of Conquest in BF3. You never get spawn camped in Firestorm, Caspian, or Kharg. You get lots of it in Seine and Bazaar. This is purely a flaw of close quarters map design. Once a team is stuck in their spawn in these maps, they are pretty much STUCK in it. Most of the "escape" routes are linear hallways/routes that can easily be choked. Maybe they should change CQ up for close quarters/urban maps, but I'd rather they just design the maps better.

There is a reason for no camping on those maps:

-thier openendedness + flat terrain
-vehicle options to get out of the uncap w/wide flanking routes
-they are air maps that closely resemle the ONLY STYLE of map that BF2 was originally built from before any expansions like SF/AF/EF added linear maps.
-Even the "linear looking" Pass/Valley styled maps in BF2 were hugely open ended and had a way out of "spawn camping"

Example (click to see the flags and out-of-bound areas on these "Linear looking" maps):
Fushe Pass

Dragon Valley

Case in point:

There are dozens of BF3 PC Server that are ONLY Capsian, Kharg and Firestorm Labeled as "Air Maps".
"Air maps" in BF2 were regular maps back then, before BC2's rush mode making DICE build Rush maps into Conquest maps.
"Air maps" in BF2 were modded maps made with no land, only water and a few carriers floating in the middle of nowhere, known as "Air Superiority" maps back then and in BF1943 on consoles.

What's my gripe/point in all this? Well even though they are redoing the BF3 classics of Oman, Sharqui, Wake and Karkand for BF3, I can't help but feel they will or have already nerfed the open endedness of the maps compared to how they were originally in BF3. This is to b e expected but not only because they will be modified to include Rush: it's also because of new gameplay aspect and vehicles in BF3 that affect the way the old maps geometry would be balanced or not if used directly with BF3.

That fear coupled with the sour taste BF3 has surprisingly left in my mouth after teh issues of disconnects, server crashes and instability the PC version has had, many successful attempts at seeing the NeoGAF servers from 4 players all the way to 64 only to have it crash for no reason out of the blue because of DICE's shoddy server coding... ugh, I wish they'd had just re-released BF:Modern Combat in Frostbite 2.0 for both consoles and PC, at least then we'd be getting an unhindered BF experience on both console and PC fronts without any compromises that Rush built into Maps of today's BF3.

There is a reason for no camping on those maps:

-thier openendedness + flat terrain
-vehicle options to get out of the uncap w/wide flanking routes
-they are air maps that closely resemle the ONLY STYLE of map that BF2 was originally built from before any expansions like SF/AF/EF added linear maps.
-Even the "linear looking" Pass/Valley styled maps in BF2 were hugely open ended and had a way out of "spawn camping"

Yup. Which is why I don't think it's a problem with BF3's implementation of CQ, just the suspect design of some of their CQ maps.

TheSeks

It is fucking incredible how bad Gamespot are at playing BF3.

Painful.

And OMG three flags on Wake. Excuse me, DICE: What the fuck are you doin'!? 1943 had five flags! WHAT THE FUCK!?

*face palm* Maybe I continue to play Rush exclusively because at least that mode is somewhat fun with shit to do instead of "cap all three flags, you win, yay!"

Painful.

And OMG three flags on Wake. Excuse me, DICE: What the fuck are you doin'!? 1943 had five flags! WHAT THE FUCK!?

*face palm* Maybe I continue to play Rush exclusively because at least that mode is somewhat fun with shit to do instead of "cap all three flags, you win, yay!"

Pretty sure consoles have 3 and 5 flag versions now.

TheSeks

Pretty sure consoles have 3 and 5 flag versions now.

Which better be the damn default on all the damn maps. :| I don't give a fuck about it being "barren" at least shit is being done instead of "LOL CAP ALL THE FLAGS IN FIVE MINUTES. YOU WIN!"

Honestly: The recon class is pretty bad. I say that as someone that thinks the "balance" is fine. But the score/points is totally lopsided against them and sniping at times is counter-productive as doing damage with the semi-autos at range (AKA: Sniper-rifle guns should be snipers, you know?) is pitifully poor and you can't see where your shots are landing even with semi-autos to where sniping isn't fun. I dunno how they fucked that, but on BC2 it was perfect. The counter-camping mechanic is fine (and bitchers need to move around more) as is the scope-sway (even if I hate it), but the fact I can't judge my shots from tracer/bullet trace is fucking terrible.

they need to make it like 50 for a spot assist and 30 for a motion assist

TheSeks

they need to make it like 50 for a spot assist and 30 for a motion assist

The thing is, that requires a separate variable for the recon class. Which is possible to do since the SCAR and G3 use different 7mm ammo types in-game, but yeah...

But they need to fix the sniping tracer issue first. Shit is mad annoying to unscope and not be able to see where the fuck it's landing. Or hell scope and not see where it's landing either.

have you tried Noshahr CQ32? it's pretty lopsided.

yeah, it doesn't happen as often in Damavand has the helis in a pretty good and the spawns are pretty protected from everything but enemy heli so there's always a chance.

Tehran is rape-rape on console.

ISnt that what Conquest Assauslt is basically? Wont that mode be out in BF3 along with B2K Map Pack?

Also I believe BF: Modern Combat had that mode as well, that game is overlooked but it was the best BF game on console when it comes to features , gametypes & clan support, etc to this day: even above BF3.

that's Double Assault.

in Conquest Assault, only one team has no uncaps!

have you tried Noshahr CQ32? it's pretty lopsided.

yeah, it doesn't happen as often in Damavand has the helis in a pretty good and the spawns are pretty protected from everything but enemy heli so there's always a chance.

Tehran is rape-rape on console.

Haven't tried on 360 yet--I'm fearing Conquest on consoles, tbh.

I've never had a problem with CQB OHK with bolt actions... because, frankly, it's a lot harder to land the shot with a bolt action than with a shotgun. And the ROF is laughable to a shotgun.

If shotguns can OHK... and there are auto shotguns in the game... who cares if a recon pegs you from the hip (with no crosshairs!!!).

I say they earned that kill.

hey now, i was a quick scoper too, but that's because when you have a weapon that can 1HK up close and also 1HK with a headshot 500m away, why would you want to use a shotgun!?

The thing is, that requires a separate variable for the recon class. Which is possible to do since the SCAR and G3 use different 7mm ammo types in-game, but yeah...

But they need to fix the sniping tracer issue first. Shit is mad annoying to unscope and not be able to see where the fuck it's landing. Or hell scope and not see where it's landing either.

no, make it 50 for everyone. a recon will get more spots naturally when using a T-UGS or MAV.

Haven't tried on 360 yet--I'm fearing Conquest on consoles, tbh.
i think more people play CQ now... probably because attacking on rush is "too hard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom