• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Haven't tried on 360 yet--I'm fearing Conquest on consoles, tbh.
Seeing as how most of the maps work best with 32-players, to the point where it looks like most of them were designed that way, I'd think console conquest would work just fine.

One thing about a smaller player count and baseraping is that it makes it much more difficult to completely cover every route of egress.

EVIL

*shakes angry fist* at mines now dissapearing after death. That's a really stupid fix for a crappy implemented weapon. They should be limited to 6 mines at any given time, 12 when you get the explosion perk on and they should have been spottable from the start. In a game where you get killed so easely without you hiding in a bush somewhere far out of sight you should not be punished or dying.

eek5

*shakes angry fist* at mines now dissapearing after death. That's a really stupid fix for a crappy implemented weapon. They should be limited to 6 mines at any given time, 12 when you get the explosion perk on and they should have been spottable from the start. In a game where you get killed so easely without you hiding in a bush somewhere far out of sight you should not be punished or dying.

They're eventually going to go that route. They've just decided that it'd be better to temporarily completely break tank mines in the meanwhile.

https://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/143296527694168065

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Dude just lets him knife him. :lol Like they said: They don't generally play these types of games, which is why DICE/EA and the companies that do these videos should hire actual players and tell them what they want shown off in certain situations or just let them go at it for five hours. Tons of footage to edit and make look good.

belvedere

Junior Butler
LMAO, they answered my question. Well sort of, they acknowleged the chat window is too big.

8JOr9.png

Nizz

The live chat is up, let's spam them with chat box complaints!

http://www.ea.com/1/battlefield-3-producer-live-chat
Hopefully they get spammed about the control issues on PS3...

I can't believe B2K is coming out tomorrow on PSN and I'm not even excited. :( Hard to be when the game controls are so bad. Had the controls been like the beta I would be super excited for the expansion pack.

The game looks plenty good. But it means nothing if it controls like shit :/

Divius

Just tore shit in up using the guided missiles on the tank. Had a dude in the back using the CITV (?) and I had a great round where we shot down everything that flew or drove around. I also just unlocked the CITV myself and see how it could be very useful (as well as creating a 3rd position in a tank if you need a ride)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just tore shit in up using the guided missiles on the tank. Had a dude in the back using the CITV (?) and I had a great round where we shot down everything that flew or drove around. I also just unlocked the CITV myself and see how it could be very useful (as well as creating a 3rd position in a tank if you need a ride)

Amazing how many people go out of their way to thank me for painting targets for them when I'm in a tank. Tanks really are the best chopper killers (just like real life, amirite).

CITV + guided shells is a ridiculously good combo, especially if you have someone dedicated to repairs.

I've only ever really played with one CITV tank. I can only imagine how devastating it would be for multiple to occupy the map, as far as air defense goes.

They were answering stupid-ass questions, it makes me wonder what kind of mentally deficient community we have, or worse, how stupid the Chat Moderator and those 2 guys were at choosing dumb and/or obvious questions.

Typical Producer PR Q/A bullshit, more like Remedial Q/A 101.

PS. I spammed asking about how they felt about BF3 DLC/Expansions adding new gameplay features ala' the "Zip-Lines" from BF2-SF.

How do I unlock the USAS-12? Do I have to play with a specific kit or is it a rank unlock?

EDIT: Also, do vehicles self-repair or do I need the Maintenance perk?

Amazing how many people go out of their way to thank me for painting targets for them when I'm in a tank. Tanks really are the best chopper killers (just like real life, amirite).

Guided shells are something that are in development, but not actually used in combat yet by NATO and the US. They just stuck them into the game even though not a realized combat system... yet. IRNV is the same as it's very new and don't think it's even used in the field yet either.

Guided shells + CITV = cheat mode for tanks. Probably the most broken thing in the game apart from IRNV.

J-Rock

Banned
Damn. I was just a passenger in a helicopter and saw a jet speeding at us in the distance. When it got close I threw C4 out at the passing jet below. Jet flew away and then I pulled the trigger. Destroyed that fucker. Doubt I'll be that lucky ever again.

Anyone else have some crazy lucky moments lately?

Damn. I was just a passenger in a helicopter and saw a jet speeding at us in the distance. When it got close I threw C4 out at the passing jet below. Jet flew away and then I pulled the trigger. Destroyed that fucker. Doubt I'll be that lucky ever again.

Anyone else have some crazy lucky moments lately?

This is why I want an HDD dedicated to FRAPS so I can have it running 24/7. I want to ensure every moment is on tape.

Or, DICE could get Battlerecorder implemented...

Spl1nter

Recent Demize tweets, again looking for feedback, this time on sniper rifles:

Hours later:

I guess you could argue that it's a bad thing that a dev is asking for design ideas. I really like that they are looking to the community, though. They still make some bone-headed decisions, but at least they try to listen.

Since I am the top GAF sniper I think I will chime in on this. Me and scogoth were discussing this a few days ago on mumble while playing. I think the issue with the sniper rifles is that your success is to heavily dependent on situation and location. As well suppression has the greatest affect on snipers as you only have one bullet.

I have outlined a pretty complete list of possible areas of change for the bolt action sniper rifles.

Suppression
1. Lower influence on accuracy
2. Increase amount of suppression required for affect to occur
3. Increase suppression caused by bolt action bullets.

Sway
1. Reduced or removed

Damage
1. OHK at close range
2. Increase of minimum damage at range

Bullet Velocity
1. Increase bullet velocity

Zoom
1. Quicker zoom in time
2. Wider fov for 7x, 8x, 12x scopes

Reflection
1. Reduced or removed on 7x, 8x, 12x scopes

What I would do:

1. Increase the minimum damage of the bolt action rifles.
2. Reduced angle of reflection for 7x, 8x, 12x scopes
3. Quicker zoom in time for scopes (0.1 - 0.2 seconds)
4. Increased bullet velocity

* 1 and 4 are codependent. Altering one may not be required based on the tweaks to the other

Why:

1 and 4. Snipers are not consistently effective enough at range. Body shots do not do enough damage to influence the opposing players effectiveness or actions. Therefore, players have to aim at the head which is difficult to hit because of bullet travel time if the target is not moving in a linear fashion.
2. A snipers position is to easily given away when not being looked at directly.
3. It is extremely difficult to move up and assist an attack while sniping because of the zoom in time. Forces a sniper to rely on certain situations and locations to be effective on a map.

Sniper rifles don't need improvements, the recon class should have it's points adjusted for doing it's roles. They make little points compared to other classes doing their job, they should get bonuses for using their equipment to compensate and bring them in line with the points the others can generate.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yep. Agree on spotting. That's why they MAV is so nice you end up with 30 points for kills which actually accumulates to decent points over time, unlike basic spotting. I also think replacing TUGs with the motion grenade from BCBS2 or adding it as a later unlockable would improve recon somewhat.

Deadly

Yep. Agree on spotting. That's why they MAV is so nice you end up with 30 points for kills which actually accumulates to decent points over time, unlike basic spotting. I also think replacing TUGs with the motion grenade from BCBS2 or adding it as a later unlockable would improve recon somewhat.
I barely even see the T-UGS being used. I know it's suppose to be a sensor thing but what's the range on the thing?

TheSeks

I barely even see the T-UGS being used. I know it's suppose to be a sensor thing but what's the range on the thing?

Shorter than the MAV.

It's good on defense, but not really practical since you have to reset it on death. Very frustrating.

I know right? And that leaves me baffled. I use it ALL the time.

In Metro I leave it near the stairs and +10 +10 +10 +10 +10 during the entire game.

On larger maps I use it to avoid people sneaking up on me, or even when trying to capture a flag. I always put it down and then pick it up again and move on to the next flag.

narca

Banned
As a new BF3 player on the PS3, will B2K be worth the $15? I didn't play enough BF2 to know those maps that well but I've really gotten into BF3 lately.

As a new BF3 player on the PS3, will B2K be worth the $15? I didn't play enough BF2 to know those maps that well but I've really gotten into BF3 lately.

I have a hard time justifying $10 for a couple a maps, let alone $15... just wait for a sale or something.

It's great that I'm getting it for free but I wouldn't be buying it otherwise.

They are fine until you realize that if you used any other classes weapons you would be a lot more effective.

Define effective.

Points? Depends on the map, on larger maps I make more points with recon because of the marksman bonuses.

Not a credit to the team? Killing of other snipers and mortars, and people that aren't 10 feet close is a credit to the team imo.

I got my service star faster with the recon, and I unlocked everything faster then I did with the engineer as well, even though the points required are much higher.

TheSeks

Depending on the situation, sure. A good sniper who can consistently get headshots will always have the advantage at long range though.

But that's the thing: You can't gauge the headshots because the tracer is hit and miss. And even then you may want to two-ping a dude in the body if he doesn't move to kill him if he's a priority target (EG: On an AT Missile launcher) as opposed to trying to line up the shot again to headshot him.

The snipers damage is laughably awful for a sniper rifle range. Up close, I can understand the 2-3 hit to prevent "LOLOL NO SCOPE 360 JUMP" montages that are all the rage with 12 year old assfucks. But for sniping it's stupid. I should be able to 2 shot you at a long range if you don't move.

They are fine until you realize that if you used any other classes weapons you would be a lot more effective.

They do best what no other weapon can do. None have the range capabilities of sniper rifles. Lot of the wants/suggestions seem to want to make sniper rifles viable at shorter ranges which kinda defeats the point.

Frankly I think they should have simply allowed Recons to carry both a sniper rifle, and a PDW as secondary.

scogoth

Since I am the top GAF sniper I think I will chime in on this. Me and scogoth were discussing this a few days ago on ........ack while sniping because of the zoom in time. Forces a sniper to rely on certain situations and locations to be effective on a map.

The bullet velocity would be huge. I don't understand why they are so low in this game. M95B, in game 650m/s, in real life 950m/s. SV98, in game 520m/s, in real life 820m/s.

I realize this isn't a combat sim but sniper rifles can't be used as sniper riles if you lower there bullet speed by 300m/s.

Spl1nter

They do best what no other weapon can do. None have the range capabilities of sniper rifles. Lot of the wants/suggestions seem to want to make sniper rifles viable at shorter ranges which kinda defeats the point.

Frankly I think they should have simply allowed Recons to carry both a sniper rifle, and a PDW as secondary.

Except sniper rifles are not consistent at range because of the low bullet velocity and damage drop off.

TheSeks

What's it matter? After awhile, you'll get a good feel for where you should be aiming.

Because I don't look down the scope after firing. I'm chambering another round to fire again. The tracer shows me where I'm hitting and if I'm hitting them in the body with a hit marker or not. Not having it gives me no visual feedback.

Full disclosure: I'm disabled and need visual feedback in my things. Not having the tracer rounds gimps me on long-range sniping compared to BC2 where I could see where I was sniping and correct.

Deadly

Pretty much. My friends play recon often and they still manage to do decent. But when we start losing, they just say "fuck it I'm changing classes". Gauging the drop/speed for headshots seems to be extremely difficult.

Because I don't look down the scope after firing. I'm chambering another round to fire again. The tracer shows me where I'm hitting and if I'm hitting them in the body with a hit marker or not. Not having it gives me no visual feedback.

Full disclosure: I'm disabled and need visual feedback in my things. Not having the tracer rounds gimps me on long-range sniping compared to BC2 where I could see where I was sniping and correct.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you can still see the tracer, the game only chambers another round if you depress the iron sights button, and there's the straight pull bolt.

TheSeks

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you can still see the tracer, the game only chambers another round if you depress the iron sights button, and there's the straight pull bolt.

The tracer is hit and miss. I can't see it 9/10 of the time I fire a sniper round. And the 1/10 I can see it: It's rare.

i've got an idea that i might have seen Sniper Rifle tracers in this guys long-range sniping video in BF3 on caspian? Someone on GAFposted it and everyone went insane about how good he was.

Here it is Found it.

BTW his last 3 kills on Operation Firestorm are NOT edited together, the rest should be, look at the ammo counter to tell when he cuts if you can't hear. The guy is talking in the video, maybe you can use the [CC] on youtube to read what he says.

-That said, if you are hearing impaired and BF3's tracers are too small or nearly nonexistant to aid you then I'd suggest you either re-setup your sniper so you can stay scoped and watch the round hit/miss OR try other methods of killing if sniping is frustrating you too much in a round or something. No use getting pissed over a game bro. :)

The tracer is hit and miss. I can't see it 9/10 of the time I fire a sniper round. And the 1/10 I can see it: It's rare.

Is this a sub-HD + upscale thing of the consoles? I see it every single bullet on the PC. And there's always the dust/debris/blood/wtv, where it falls.

BPK

Are the maps in this game (Conquest mode) as bad as everyone says? I've already felt burnt once by MW3, where the maps are horrendous.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are the maps in this game (Conquest mode) as bad as everyone says? I've already felt burnt once by MW3, where the maps are horrendous.

Some maps are great, some maps are terrible. Kind of goes with the territory when you try to create maps that work with varying numbers of players and different modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom