• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Played a little bit last night but damn this is the Battlefield I remember! All the stock maps are hilariously small in comparison.

I played today. Have you?

lolololol

y9HRD.gif

I got some games in before the great catastrophe. Karkand is still superb, and fits the new BF3 mechanics like a glove. There are so many ways to assault each point, and a role for every class in doing so - its design makes a mockery of garbage like Damavand Peak.

It's clear that people are going to have to get used to Conquest Assault. People didn't understand why I was desperately trying to get back the TV station on Sharqi or the gatehouse on Karkand until we'd been completely annhiliated off the map. It's a lot more tactical and fast paced, and a single squad sneaking in at the right time can destroy a defending team.

Speaking of Sharqi - let's just say it's one level where helicopters can never be accused of being underpowered. It's even worse than Battlefield 2 when it comes to a losing American team being violently dicked on by a Russian gunship. In the game I had earlier people let the Russians steal the Viper, and we had two helicopters basically pissing over anyone else. It could really do with mobile AA or similar to settle the balance as it's so easy for the Russian chopper to gain a position of dominance and stop the US from ever getting airborne (or capturing anything on the map) again. Having said that another odd quirk - the US chopper starts facing the Russian one and without the fog you can TV missile the Havoc within the first 5 seconds of the match.

Wake is great fun, but again people need to wake up the new (old) rules on conquest assault. If you lose the Airfield you are screwed, but people kept leaving it undefended. This US sniper kept leaving his spawn beacon round the back of the hangars and continually spawned in, got in the mobile AA and wreaked havoc. People kept ignoring the AA as it spawns away from the main cap point (as does the Russian helicopter), and by grabbing it he not only had complete dominance over the two or so infantry trying to stop him, but could could also take out the spawning chopper from the safety of the hangar as well as any planes taking off. He did this seven times and pretty much no one but me tried to stop him. He just waited till he saw the AA respawn and did it again and again.

Love it, especially people not being used to CQ Assault--glad to hear they didn't gimp it so your team can't be eliminated.

Losing the airfield on Wake was a death knell back in the day, I would rage so hard when people left it undefended.

sp3000

Love it, especially people not being used to CQ Assault--glad to hear they didn't gimp it so your team can't be eliminated.

Losing the airfield on Wake was a death knell back in the day, I would rage so hard when people left it undefended.

Is it playable on all 4 maps?

I got into an argument with some server admin earlier because apparently I was base raping, despite the fact we were playing conq assault.

Eventually he admitted he was wrong, and when I asked for an apology he banned me.

That was pretty cool.

In other news the F35B can't dogfight. It doesn't slow down, the S key immediately goes into hover mode. Therefore any pilot who realizes that slowing to around 300 = turning quicker will blow the F35 out of the sky.

Then there's the difference with the main gun etc. Shit is more or less useless.

demolitio

In other news the F35B can't dogfight. It doesn't slow down, the S key immediately goes into hover mode. Therefore any pilot who realizes that slowing to around 300 = turning quicker will blow the F35 out of the sky.

Then there's the difference with the main gun etc. Shit is more or less useless.

That's what I noticed as well. I can still take control of the skies since most pilots suck, but if there's a good pilot on the other team who knows how to bank hard, then you're kind of screwed. If joysticks worked like they should, I could be flying like BF2 where throttle at 50% is essentially no throttle and 0% is full throttle in SVTOL mode leaving a lot of control still.

I'm not sure if it's even set up like that for joysticks if they did work, but it sure as hell doesn't work well with a controller either.

Joysticks were supposed to be patched in after launch and we're still waiting...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it just me or is the Famas an absolute beast?

Iron sights suck, but it's broken in the damage/RoF sense yeah. Balance is a long (longer than most guns) reload, but they should nerf the damage if they're giving it the real life RoF. :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I got into an argument with some server admin earlier because apparently I was base raping, despite the fact we were playing conq assault.

Eventually he admitted he was wrong, and when I asked for an apology he banned me.

That was pretty cool.
The apologize and ban buttons are like right next to each other.

Spl1nter

Iron sights suck, but it's broken in the damage/RoF sense yeah. Balance is a long (longer than most guns) reload, but they should nerf the damage if they're giving it the real life RoF. :/

Its a pretty average weapon, f2000 part 2. Shitty accuracy/spread traded for high rate of fire. I guess auto-aim makes it good on consoles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Its a pretty average weapon, f2000 part 2. Shitty accuracy/spread traded for high rate of fire. I guess auto-aim makes it good on consoles.

It wins most gun battles, unlike the F2000. F2000 has accuracy, but it doesn't beat the LMGs in terms of RoF (IIRC). Unlike the FAMAS. I really don't understand how they balanced this with a long reload and thought "high rate of fire + normal damage = balanced! Lunchtime!"

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Guess Origin is still shitting the bed. Sucks I wanted to play on my lunch break. Hopefully will be all better by tonight.

JoeMartin

It wins most gun battles, unlike the F2000. F2000 has accuracy, but it doesn't beat the LMGs in terms of RoF (IIRC). Unlike the FAMAS. I really don't understand how they balanced this with a long reload and thought "high rate of fire + normal damage = balanced! Lunchtime!"

The F2000 has a higher ROF than EVERY LMG - highest LMG is the M249 @ 800 RPM (most are around 600) - F2000 is 850, AEK is 900, FAMAS is 1000.

An odd addition considering every other class received markedly mediocre guns in comparison to what we already had. Pretty much the only drawback to the FAMAS is very slightly abnormally high horizontal recoil.

Sethos

Banned
Is it just me or is no game developer able to balance the damn FAMAS? Every major shooter with the damn thing have had problems with balance - They tend to make them super accurate with a high rate of fire because it's burst and hey presto, a beast of a gun.

It's a nice weapon but in real life it ain't exactly the best thing since sliced bread.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The reload times are awful on that gun though. It really makes you think twice about reloading when you're taking half a minute to put a clip in.

Got to love assignments like, "Win 5 rounds of SQDM", probably one of the most unfun game modes I can think of. I want to unlock all the stuff, but be fucked if I'm gonna play that shite mode.

demolitio

This is painful. I turned the heat off and put a fan on the case and I can only get a few games out of it before I play it safe and turn it off.

WHY BF GODS!?!!?!? WHY!?!?!

Nice to play on the GAF server though. I need to join Mumble next time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Got to love assignments like, "Win 5 rounds of SQDM", probably one of the most unfun game modes I can think of. I want to unlock all the stuff, but be fucked if I'm gonna play that shite mode.

The only way I'm going to be willing to play SQDM is if I have 3 other Gaffers with me so we can just start rolling on people.

demolitio

The only way I'm going to be willing to play SQDM is if I have 3 other Gaffers with me so we can just start rolling on people.

I was actually going to ask if anyone wanted to play that later on so I could get it out of the way, but there's no way I'd play with randoms since that mode literally revolves around a good squad that sticks together.

For the sake of discussion, what do you want to see in future DLC? I want some new maps but I'm afraid of how they'll turn out, but I at least want them to feel like real large BF maps, but I also wouldn't mind to see some of my favorite maps from BF42 come back to see how destruction changes them as well. The old maps are just so much better designed that I feel like it's the safe choice for DLC...lol. I also wouldn't mind some new coop maps in the same DLC as the MP maps because the sniper mission actually made me like coop. They just need good levels once again and that sniper mission made you feel like a real badass team that relied on each other. We actually had a system to count down until we shot so we always shot at the exact same time. It was amazing.

Rapstah

Oh, wow, the TV tower on Oman I think? Those stairs are way too easy to completely lock down with Claymores. Put an ammo box on two, free kills. I think people really near the guy who walks into them get supressed too, so finishing off stragglers isn't impossible either. And you can angle grenades like three floors down if you're good at it!

Bugs the life out of me because I wanted that gun. But me and my buddy started playing and it's just so crap. I'm generally good at BF, but I just don't like that mode. Actually liked it in BC2, but it just feels very CoD this time round.

PC-BF3 NeoGAF "Normal" 600 Ticket Server is back up! If everyone joins, we should be able to get it full like we did earlier!

Join us in mumble so you guys can coordiate and have fun talking to the rest of PC-BF3-GAF, its easier than typing in battlelog.
-Click here for Instructions to setup mumble for VOIP, and our BF3 Mumble server ip/port: chi.eoreality.net:64762

Here is a link to the server's page, click to Join us and Favorite the server, GAFbros:

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
These maps run SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Vanilla maps. I'm talking where I get 50-60 on the originals, B2K gets me 20-30. FIX THIS SHIT DICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom