• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
.hacked said:
So I don't play games online, should I bother with BF3?

I enjoyed the Bad Company games, does BF3 have a similar offline mode or should I just wait for MW3?

I don't see any reason to play either of them offline on console. If you have a decent PC the campaign has some jaw-dropping graphics. The carrier task force in a rough sea is just gorgeous. My stomach did a flip-flop during the cat launch, it was breath-taking. The gameplay in it? Not so much.

Eurogamer review said essentially the same thing about that mission:

It's amazing stuff, a true work of digital theatre, offering immersion and realism beyond anything we've seen in games before. It's also almost entirely non-interactive, and leads into a mission that starts disappointing and only goes downhill from there. You're not the pilot, it turns out. You're the co-pilot. Your job is to point and shoot at the enemy fighters as the plane goes through its scripted banks and rolls. Later on you get to take aim at ground targets, a duck hunt dressed up in a Tom Clancy uniform.

Nabs

.hacked said:
So I don't play games online, should I bother with BF3?

I enjoyed the Bad Company games, does BF3 have a similar offline mode or should I just wait for MW3?

rent it for a day.

DTKT

AllIsOneIsNone said:
To each his own. All I know is I've had more fun playing bf3 multiplayer than I've ever had playing any other "realistic" war game...ever.

Thats fine, but he does also mentions the coop and the SP as "weakpoints".

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really wish there was a way to tweak your loadout from Battlelog before going in game. That would be so great.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Stuttering in multiplayer is so annoying. Tried the High texture setting and that didn't help. Single player runs great at max so I don't know what it is. It's cost me a few kills and it makes flying impossible.

RS4-

AllIsOneIsNone said:
To each his own. All I know is I've had more fun playing bf3 multiplayer than I've ever had playing any other "realistic" war game...ever.
This is how I feel too. I've had more than in this in a handful of hours compared to many other fps or third person games

And this 95% on foot.

And GGs with a few GAF members last night on Metro Conquest and Dam Peak Conquest

NameGenerated said:
Stuttering in multiplayer is so annoying. Tried the High texture setting and that didn't help. Single player runs great at max so I don't know what it is. It's cost me a few kills and it makes flying impossible.

dont play with a proxy

DMeisterJ

Banned
Coin Return said:
Played the 360 version until about 4AM, the vast improvement over the beta can't be overstated. So damn smooth.
Thanks for the confirmation. I had prayed to the DICE gods that the console release would be okay.

DTKT said:
Thats fine, but he does also mentions the coop and the SP as "weakpoints".

Yea, but I don't pay attention to a review that brings the score down based on what will be about 2 percent of the average person's play time. Most people will go through the campaign once, then play hundreds of hours of multiplayer. The single player was obviously not the focus here.

SLV

What the what ? I am getting kicked out by admins even from completely empty servers ????? Does anyone have a clue ?

Woo-Fu said:
I don't see any reason to play either of them offline on console. If you have a decent PC the campaign has some jaw-dropping graphics. The carrier task force in a rough sea is just gorgeous. My stomach did a flip-flop during the cat launch, it was breath-taking. The gameplay in it? Not so much.

Everything prior to being in the air was brilliant stuff.

Souljiro

zephervack said:
From the videos i thought i was going to hate Grand Bazaar but OMG i had such an awesome time playing that map yesterday, amazing.

I had a blast on grand bazaar I forgot which control point is in the middle but with both sides fighting for it was intense.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Does anyone see away to change the commo rose to another key then Q?
I dont' see an option in the key configuration for PC. I use Q for Strafe Left

Stallion Free said:
Man that campaign ending was hilariously bad. Maybe 2-3 good levels in there, the rest were utter shit. If only all of them were as good as the streets of Paris.

I couldn't hold a straight face at the end of that second tank level.
:lol

As if anyone else with a right mind could hold a straight face through most of the hilariously fantastical campaigns in Call of Duty MW Series either.

With that, I'd say Nice work DICE, Mission accomplished. You made a fantaqstical FPS Storyline.

.hacked

DoctorWho said:
I'd pass. Offline mode is a 5 hour campaign. It lacks the humor and fun of the Bad Company games. It's a good technical showcase but ultimately a forgettable campaign.

Woo-Fu said:

Nabs said:
rent it for a day.

Thanks for the heads up, guess I will wait for the inevitable price drop in a few months.

CrankyJay

Banned
Played a round this morning. Better than beta for sure...but then again I wasn't playing Metro.

I really am used to run and gun by myself in BC2 because it worked...but in this game you really need to use team work.

My gripe still stands in not being able to see the enemy as easily but I believe this was a design decision that will level the playing field some more and allow for better hiding. Just gotta keep using that Q button to spot people.

Played on 1680 x 900 at High on the following rig:

i7 2600k 8gig ram
game is on ssd (not sure if that matters)
ASUS radeon hd 6850 1gb

Was pulling 40-47 frames on the map I played on. Sorry don't know what it was called. It was a smaller city map. Even then the game still felt a little choppy/grainy.

GodofWine

There should be a SP thread...and it should be locked immediately, and left to die...because 90% of the people looking in this thread just want to hear about the MP...Im at work all day, give me some PS3 feedback, PLEASE SIR!

How are the servers holding up? I wont be on till 9:30ish tonight so the largest crowd of
day 1 will be fading.

How big was the day one patch?

How do the maps compare in size to BC2? etc etc etc...

CrankyJay said:
My gripe still stands in not being able to see the enemy as easily but I believe this was a design decision that will level the playing field some more and allow for better hiding. Just gotta keep using that Q button to spot people. .

The maps for the most part being larger, more open, and them allowing prone makes a big difference in being able to see people in this game compared to BC2

CrankyJay said:
Played a round this morning. Better than beta for sure...but then again I wasn't playing Metro.

I really am used to run and gun by myself in BC2 because it worked...but in this game you really need to use team work.

My gripe still stands in not being able to see the enemy as easily but I believe this was a design decision that will level the playing field some more and allow for better hiding. Just gotta keep using that Q button to spot people.

Played on 1680 x 900 at High on the following rig:

i7 2600k 8gig ram
game is on ssd (not sure if that matters)
ASUS radeon hd 6850 1gb

Was pulling 40-47 frames on the map I played on. Sorry don't know what it was called. It was a smaller city map. Even then the game still felt a little choppy/grainy.

Try some deathmatch; its faster paced and doesn't require as much teamwork. Also, enemies show up on the maps when they shoot, which destroys any campers' strategies.

Kyaw

mcrae said:
so, whats the best way to practice with jets/helicopters? i desperately need some, lol

low player count servers

Empty servers have player start limits which is quite annoying.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Really don't like this Vehicle Disabled nonsense, far too easy for people to just jump out.

Drewsky

GodofWine said:
There should be a SP thread...and it should be locked immediately, and left to die...because 90% of the people looking in this thread just want to hear about the MP...Im at work all day, give me some PS3 feedback, PLEASE SIR!

How are the servers holding up? I wont be on till 9:30ish tonight so the largest crowd of
day 1 will be fading.

How big was the day one patch?

How do the maps compare in size to BC2? etc etc etc...
I played till about 3am last night and I'm up this morning playing again on PS3. Servers seem to be holding up pretty well, I've only been kicked out a couple times and never really had trouble getting a game. It's awesome.

Naxx

Aaah man got the key from GMG downloaded the game off Origin, but can't do the one-time activation (27th) :(

I can login in Battlelog, but can't play :(

kendrid said:
Does the game show you anywhere that punkbuster is enabled? I got kicked twice last night and I don't cheat (and I was doing good). Maybe my punkbuster isnt' working.

If you have the pc version and you're manually selecting a server, yes. The server has the label "PB" or something on the right side. Black if it's enabled and in gray if its not. More than that I don't know.

mcrae said:
so, whats the best way to practice with jets/helicopters? i desperately need some, lol
Seconded, wish there was a way to play offline with bots just so I could configure my flight controls. It's not too hard to get into a jet or chopper, but it's extremely hard to tweak your controls during a live 64 player battle when people have unlocked stinger missiles.

If there's one TERRIBLE decision in this game, it's making flares an unlock. WHY?

I think I'll pass on this game. Short single player, and the obnoxious immature racist 15 year olds that populate these kind of games.

I've been playing Rage on the PS3 which I rented, and kind of like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom