• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zakkath said:
That could be the answer. I thought it would write "installing", but I guess EA expected everyone to download it so they didn't write that line in the code :)

The same thing happened when I downloaded the 14 gig installer from Direct2Drive. It immediately loaded up Origin, and Origin said it was downloading the game. I freaked out a little, then noticed the download rate was 25 megs per second and realized it was extracting the 14 gig installer I had already downloaded.

So, yeah, they just didn't put the code in to say anything other than "downloading".

LProtag

How's the day one community on PS3 anyway?

Still debating picking this up, I'm terrible at FPS games usually, but I have fond memories of Battlefield.

Don't have a PC that can run it.

iam220

Mr. Snrub said:
Damavand Peak is linear as well, but at least has outdoor areas and a chopper you can take over the tunnel.

Thats the one with the basejump right? I think thats the only one I haven't played yet. I enjoyed all the CQ maps I played but grand bazar stood out the most.

bjscott05 said:
The PS3 aiming is pretty disappointing. I can still do well with it, but it isn't as good as the aiming in the beta.

Wonder if it's just some server/latency issues they need to work out?

Spookie said:
Over half the maps on CQ are fucking terrible. :/

They're not that bad, but there are some stinkers. My thoughts from earlier:

• The good: Operation Firestorm is an engineer's wet dream. So many damned vehicles, a decent amount of verticality in the map (two story buildings, pipelines, and roofs). Kharg Island is very similar, but seems to give more opportunities for infantry to Excel. BIG map, very fun, lots of different scenarios that can be approached. Tehran Highway has a lot of potential, though it was always a laggy map for me (apparently, at least one server provider has acknowledged that Tehran is having performance issues). Love the setting. Oddly enough, I really enjoy Grand Bazaar CQ. It's seems small, but is actually a fairly large twist of alleys and streets and allows vehicles to roam the outskirts. Almost feels like an really TDM map, given how quickly the flow of the battle moves/changes. I'm not the biggest fan of Canals yet, but feel it has potential and will have to give it another shot. And Caspian, of course, is Caspian, and has such a good flow to it
  • The bad: not feeling Damavand Peak CQ. Again, another straight line with, literally, an underground chokepoint. Control of the chokepoint will pretty much make or break the game, unless you can get a chopper ballsy enough to fly over and drop off some troops behind the base. Seine Crossing was similar--sort of chokepointish BUT, early in the evening when GAF played, we all weren't on the same page and later started wrecking shit, so I'm giving this the benefit of "bad team" doubt and will try again later.
  • The ugly: Operation Metro CQ--WHO THE FUCK GREENLIT THIS SHIT? 64 player version has three points, and the chokepoint is, literally, the escalator chokepoint from Rush, so winning is a matter of "who controls B". Seriously, this is somewhat infuriating, to see such laziness from DICE. It's surprising, honestly--one of those "there's no way they'd just do that" things.

Arment

I'd enjoy the game a lot more if I wasn't getting dc'd after every map. What's up with this?

Edit: Looks like it was the server.

sometimes it sucks just renting from red box, the no online is :( boo

single player is ok so far, pretty much standard stuff , don't see how some reviewers were questioning it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Salih said:
is that an easter-egg?

you know, that one level in Paris where the inside of the building looks like one of the levels out of Mirrors Edge?

I'd say that's an homage. If it's even possible to do an homage to your own past work.

J-Rzez

belvedere said:
Join the club. Been looking all day but I haven't seen any info on changing it, just others expressing their frustrations with it.

Yeah man, it's just ridiculous. I got into a server where text chat was disabled and it was beautiful. But outside of that one server I had to deal with that damn thing taking up far too much real estate on screen and getting me killed or me losing easy kills.

Also, I'd like to say what a horrible decision to use Battlelog to launch on PC. Party members not able to join parties, party members getting booted and not able to join the game, etc. Plug-in issues.

And Punk Buster... come on. What a disaster that is.

Such a fun game when it's clicking, but it's an exercise in frustration until you get to that point.

OH MY GOD!

Don't forgo instruction manuals if you are fucking incapable of including ALL the controller inputs in the game.

How do you pull a chute after getting shot out of the air?

magicaltrevor said:
Question about the PS3-version regarding Squads:

Are the issues people had in the Beta fixed? Can you now FINALLY join games with friends without getting split into different teams / squads?
Also: Is IN-GAME Squad-management back? You know, creating your own squad, inviting and/or joining friends through the start menu while you're in a match.

Thanks for answering!
No, it's so broken. Disappointed that it shipped in this condition

The Antitype said:
OH MY GOD!

Don't forgo instruction manuals if you are fucking incapable of including ALL the controller inputs in the game.

I think if you're disabled, you can't bail.

Nelo Ice

Banned
K I kno this has probably happened to a few of u but how do u remove bf3 if u preordered it from origin but canceled? I just redeemed my disc copy and now it shows two bf3s on my list lol.

d0c_zaius

anyone able to login to battlelog? When I try to create my account I get "Your account is not allowed to login", which is about the dumbest message they could possibly put up with no explanation.

This has been going on for a couple of hours now.

apparently this is a problem thats been happening to people across all platforms since the beta. Thanks EA for making me jump through stupid hoops. I totally want to sign up for multiple websites and shit just to get some message off my title screen.

yea I am that OCD.

alphaNoid

Banned
The Antitype said:
OH MY GOD!

Jump

Woo-Fu

Banned
AppleMIX said:
I want to use my xbox controller for vehicles but BF3 is not recognizing it.

Any ideas?

Plug it in before you start, my wired controller works fine. It really isn't a matter of BF3 recognizing it, it is a matter of Windows recognizing it.

legbone

i've been having all kinds of troubles with ea sites and gunclub today. gunclub acts like i don't exist even though i can log into the ea sites with my gamertag. i haven't tried battlelog yet (just got back from the store with the game, installing now) but i bet all the sites are getting hammered.

edit: in response to doc zaius

That jet gameplay!!! So gooood!

92UsL.jpg

bmOkM.jpg

n2W78.jpg

P2BWm.jpg

Ntl2K.jpg

Only 2000 points till I get an Extinguisher

derFeef

So I can't join a server with my party as a squad? should work if there is enough room, right? :/ It's such a hassle with battlelog.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
SapientWolf said:
To cut down on jet camping. They should probably randomize where they spawn on the runway too.
So now rather than camping in game, the moment a jet blows up people kill themselves and wait for it to pop up on the spawn screen.

iNvid02

the last part of thunder run was satisfying, just tearing shit up and watching the destruction. i like the campaign

derFeef said:
So I can't join a server with my party as a squad? should work if there is enough room, right? :/ It's such a hassle with battlelog.

Honestly I have no idea how it works. It's just a mess. You can party join but you all have to join at the same time then, which is not cool as at least one usually gets some error. When your party is in the game you just gotta hope that you get on that team and squad.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WoodenLung said:
Yes now people just wait in limbo for their damn jets, not a improvement. :(
They're not losing the team tickets by getting strafed on the runway, so it's a slight improvement. Ideally, you would need have earned some points on your last spawn to get the right to spawn in a vehicle.

Metalmurphy said:
Only 2000 points till I get an Extinguisher

Extinguisher seems to make a HUGE difference for the survivability of your vehicle. I was a door gunner for a pilot who had IR flares and extinguisher, and it honestly seemed a LITTLE OP. Health starts regen/repair very quickly after being hit. Wish I knew his exact setup, but I THINK he had extinguisher.

derFeef said:

You can. Just create a party and join a server by choosing Join with party. You'll all go to the same squad.

kamspy

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Anyone know if this place is legit?

it's like 5 dollars cheaper than the origin website.

http://play-sc.com/Battlefield-3-PC-Download-Origin-Key.html

I'd spring the extra $9 for an Amazon key. They do awesome stuff with DRM too, shouldn't be a problem in this case, but they'll give you a new key for a game you exceed your installs on for SecuROM etc, even PC game refunds after playing :O

I'm a big advocate of key seller sites, I've never heard of that one, but Amazon still has LE keys for $50, it should be a no brainer. We all know how EA likes to fuck the consumer, so even if it launches region free, there's no telling if they'd change it down the line.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
. Control of the chokepoint will pretty much make or break the game, unless you can get a chopper ballsy enough to fly over and drop off some troops behind the base.

It doesn't take any balls. You've got the mountain for cover going up and soon as you crest the passengers can skydive and use low-altitude openings to get to the targets.

I've only played that map once but when the team bogged down in the middle and started complaining I told my squad to respawn on me in the copter and we just hopped over the hill and took the flags out from under them.

Basically it is the only reason there IS a scout helicopter on each team. Considering how many engineers are shooting RPGs down the tunnel flying through there is not an option, particularly not when there will be a burning jeep blocking the path sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom