• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striek

Arcipello said:
what are your specs and what does the crash look like? i.e crash to desktop or full system freeze?
1GB 560 Ti (latest drivers) / 2.66ghz Core i5 / 8GB RAM / Windows 7 x64

Game generally freezes (sometimes sound continues), screen goes black (monitor flicks on and off), I have to use the windows key to go back to desktop and use the task manager to kill the process. I have no idea what the problem is, but when I google "BF3 crashes" it seems like 90% of them involve GTX 560 Ti's, so I'm thinking driver/software issue.

Arcipello

Striek said:

Game generally freezes (sometimes sound continues), screen goes black (monitor flicks on and off), I have to use the windows key to go back to desktop and use the task manager to kill the process. I have no idea what the problem is, but when I google "BF3 crashes" it seems like 90% of them involve GTX 560 Ti's, so I'm thinking driver/software issue.

yep you need to lower your gfx card clock speed.... a lot of people with the OCed 560's are experiencing this... i did with my OCed 570. download a program called MSI afterburner and it allows you to change clock speeds, fan speeds etc etc. it is more of a driver issue but until nvidia fix it youll have to lower your clock speed, i went from 830 clock to 800 and its stable now:)

DrBo42

This accuracy stat is going to make me so sad. The way I like to play is to keep someone suppressed with sporadic fire...this does not mesh with stats. :(

TylerD

Striek said:

i have the same setup except for a 2500 k with a Zotac 560 ti OC @ 850 mhz and I havent had an issue with that yet. Only times my game has crashed would be when the gaf server did.

I am pretty impressed with the ultra performance, but high is super smooth and still really pretty.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Arcipello said:
yep you need to lower your gfx card clock speed.... a lot of people with the OCed 560's are experiencing this... i did with my OCed 570. download a program called MSI afterburner and it allows you to change clock speeds, fan speeds etc etc. it is more of a driver issue but until nvidia fix it youll have to lower your clock speed, i went from 830 clock to 800 and its stable now:)

I have the exact same problem, thanks for the advice, will try it out tonight :)

Arcipello

TylerD said:
i have the same setup except for a 2500 k with a Zotac 560 ti OC @ 850 mhz and I havent had an issue with that yet. Only times my game has crashed would be when the gaf server did.

welcome to the land of PCs, where nothing makes sense!

zlatko

Banned
I don't think the game is for me. I had a lot of fun with Bad Company 2 on my PC, but BF3 just isn't clicking.

Too much of it aside from the GAF server has just felt like I'm in a giant meat grinder. No team work, no real map control, just people killing each other back and forth with no real purpose.

I'll spare the thread my bitching, but the general flow of combat is just not for me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Step 1. Unlock Night Vision on IFV
Step 2. Destroy highly visible AT Mines
Step 3. Profit!

It only takes 2 to get a ribbon. I noticed they showed up on night vision near the end of a Tehran Map. Clearing one road of mines from my base to theirs gave me 7 ribbons.

zlatko said:
I don't think the game is for me. I had a lot of fun with Bad Company 2 on my PC, but BF3 just isn't clicking.

Too much of it aside from the GAF server has just felt like I'm in a giant meat grinder. No team work, no real map control, just people killing each other back and forth with no real purpose.

Expecting team work and map control the first day of release in a new game is an unreasonable expectation. Expect it to change when your team isn't 95% noobs. Change it yourself by forming a squad of good players. What I've found is that if I build one good squad that focuses on objectives we almost never lose.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I just had a crazy 2 minutes. Took out a heli with the default engi rockets. Ally right next to me takes a rocket to the face, I run and prone near a rock, then a humvee hits the gas and attempts to run me down, then explodes before hitting me. Like, literally a foot away from me. All the enemies nearby didn't notice my under the wreckage and I got away without a scratch.

what the what

metalshade

Seeing as how there is a thread for all the pc players with issues, could you please post them in the thread dedicated just to you!
Leave the game discussions unsullied please and thankyou.

demolitio

MiniBossBattle said:
Helicopters are hard to fly.
I don't think they're hard but they're definitely useless. You have to fly higher so engineers don't fire 50 stingers at you when you're reloading flares so it's hard for a gunner to see anything to shoot, and when you do get hit, it knocks your choppers sidweways and sometimes makes you wreck before you can recover.

I'm good at jets though and can last a while but they're still useless against ground targets since there's no splash damage basically. ATG missiles here I come!

leng jai

So is playing the campaign with a pad on PC plausible? The main issues I'm reading are the QTEs not working.

Got my preload downloading but doesn't unlock for another 3 hours.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I got game at Midnight launch

Played 15 hours of MP straight, got to level 10 (wanted 20, but the way ranking works, it is level 20 in my eyes)

I get BF3 is a game to be played for years on end, but some of these unlocks really do not ease the player to enjoy the game

They have to address this prone clipping/phasing situation, pissing me off to no end
Guy can go prone, but half his body is going through the wall, sometimes you can kill them because there legs come through the other side (beneficial), but sometimes you go prone hiding/protecting, reacting, and you die due to the same circumstance
(Also, I have went through the ground on certain occasions, but luckily, game quickly readjusted me)

Some of the maps are HUGE, LIEK XBOX HUGE, they are too massive
Caspian Border on PC with 64 players looks packed as fuck, on consoles 24 players, it looks like a drive through the country, stopping at rest stops to destroy MCOM's and then going back on your Sunday Drive with the family

Got into a game that just was starting, when it ended top guy had 9 kills... 9 FUCKING KILLS... really?... it was so barren, I got bored hella' fast
When it say next MCOM is only 300+ meters away from the last set... yeah, not fun
12 vs 12 in that open sprawl is too much, they need to shrink it for Rush
Conquest is a given, but then it's just run/capture with the occasional kill/death, not many contested battles

Also I have died certain times, and the Dog Tag says Bad Luck! (not suicide), I have no clue why that happens, think happened to me 3+ times already, very random

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The soflam, It does nothing.

Well it designates targets for 10 points and that's it?! I must be missing something here.

zlatko

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Step 1. Unlock Night Vision on IFV
Step 2. Destroy highly visible AT Mines
Step 3. Profit!

It only takes 2 to get a ribbon. I noticed they showed up on night vision near the end of a Tehran Map. Clearing one road of mines from my base to theirs gave me 7 ribbons.

Expecting team work and map control the first day of release in a new game is an unreasonable expectation. Expect it to change when your team isn't 95% noobs. Change it yourself by forming a squad of good players. What I've found is that if I build one good squad that focuses on objectives we almost never lose.

All I know is that TDM is a 100% throw away garbage game type, and rush sucks unless you are defense. That leaves only conquest, and it makes me wonder why the other game types even exist. The spawning is THE WORST in any game I've ever played, and with no spawn protection you can get locked into being killed everytime you spawn over and over. The game I was in didn't allow for squad spawning either(does TDM even let you?) and the worst of it is the night time map for it. Guy sits on the other side just spamming mortar never having to leave his little spot and just gets random kills.

I'm just going to stick to GAF server to get enjoyment out of the game, because randoms on conquest is people crashing vehicles with 700 snipers camping it up.

kitch9

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Apart from shooting down planes and helis, is there nothing else you can do with the jets until you level them?

You can be helpless cannon fodder for the other dudes who've actually managed to unlock stuff in them so they can unlock more stuff that makes you even more helpless.

It's awesome.

Yaska

evlcookie said:

Well it designates targets for 10 points and that's it?! I must be missing something here.
I thought soflam is designed to just target stuff so that others can shoot it down with rockets?

Kyaw

kitch9 said:
You can be helpless cannon fodder for the other dudes who've actually managed to unlock stuff in them so they can unlock more stuff that makes you even more helpless.

It's awesome.

I know right. ^_^

Izayoi

Banned
Ikuu said:
Not all that impressed with the maps, need Karkand pack asap.
I'm the exact opposite. They can take as long as they want as far as I'm concerned, these maps are fucking awesome.

I love the one with the train yard especially. It's downright glorious.

spk

evlcookie said:

It has the same function as the tracer dart from BC2. You paint targets for others to take down w/ laser guided weapons.

leng jai said:
So is playing the campaign with a pad on PC plausible? The main issues I'm reading are the QTEs not working.

Got my preload downloading but doesn't unlock for another 3 hours.

Works perfectly fine for my brother playing on my PC, though you might want to boost the sensitivity.

Oh my...

I got it working properly today.

Get 60fps+ with all settings maxed at 2560x1440... I don't even really know what I did to fix it!?

I think I may have deleted the 11.9 CAP3 file but I certainly didn't un-install it.

Anyway. This game is fucking magnificent, better than I ever imagined, and it feels so much more polished than the Beta was. Since getting passed the problem with the drivers (which isn't really DICE's fault) I haven't experienced any glitches or problems at all.

So far I have absolutely loved the single player, and the multi is wowing me beyond words. This is everything I have been waiting for and more, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted out of the game, the maps are freaking HUGE and I haven't really come across one that I don't like yet, I think I will be pretty much able to play this forever.

Still learning exactly how to play each of the maps since because they're so huge it's hard to get from point A to B without getting gunned down while you're running out in the open between objectives, but that was the same in Caspian, you've just gotta learn the pathways to take.

So many of the levels seem similarly designed (spiritually) as many of the maps in the past, but with elements of the new FB2 technology being included in it.

Destruction 3.0 is fucking awesome, I think people forget to use it all too often, I love seeing some guys going for cover behind a pile of bricks, taking out my RPG and blowing them both away by just shooting the pile of bricks... just brilliant!

SP wise, the
F18 scene was pure sex - I wonder if that really is the function of the RIO, like if it is just the pilot's job to fly and the RIO's job to aquire and fire. I assume it should be so that the pilot only has to concentrate on keeping the jet flying and so he doesn't have to take his hands off the joystick and throttle so often and the RIO has his hands free most of the time. Just seems an effective way to do things, not that the US has had an adversary with any real Air power since the Cold War, but still.

Did I notice a section in Operation Guillotine did I see unlimited enemies coming? I seriously can't believe DICE did that, it's where I'm up to right at this moment and I rage quit when I died there about five times and the checkpoint system takes me back to a point where if I don't move quickly and prone in less than a second I die again. This almost makes me want to stop the single player right at this section if it is the case, I HATE THAT SHIT SO SO SO SO MUCH. It makes me so sad that so much perfection could be ruined by a few simply idiotic "lets be like COD" choices. These things just should not happen.

Arcipello

favourite maps so far for me

Firestorm
Caspian
Kharg
Canals
Damavand

there are still a couple ive not really played yet, include the night highway map and the map with rain.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All right, quick answer would be appreciated! I'm going to midnight launch, is the PS3-version solid? Any major differences between 360/PS3?

Striek

Arcipello said:
Hey thanks for this it seems to have worked. My card was stock OCed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
spk said:
It has the same function as the tracer dart from BC2. You paint targets for others to take down w/ laser guided weapons.
Yaska said:
I thought soflam is designed to just target stuff so that others can shoot it down with rockets?

This seems to be it's purpose, which is lame. The recon class is fucking dull in BF3 compared to say BC2. There's no C4 and no binoculars to blow shit up, which i thought the soflam was going to be.

It's almost like dice want you to sit back in base and just point shit out for other people to shoot. The soflam is good for pointing stuff out, so is the mav and you can get that too!

It totally feels like the role of the recon is to put shit on the ground and sit in bushes. Which i guess makes him "recon" but good god is it boring.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Sucks i need to wait till friday to play this awesome game, getting some good mouse and keyboard practice in cod4 to prepare me for close quarter situations.

Izayoi

Banned
Yoshichan said:
All right, quick answer would be appreciated! I'm going to midnight launch, is the PS3-version solid? Any major differences between 360/PS3?
They seem pretty much identical.

Apparently there's still some tearing in the PS3 version but it's nowhere near as noticeable as it was in the beta. The PS3 version also apparently has some problems with streaming in textures at times as well, probably due to the fact that a full install is not possible like it is on the 360.

Not really deal breakers either way, I'd wager. Get it for whatever platform you have more friends on.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
kitch9 said:

It's awesome.

My tank has auto reload perk (faster main weapon reload), and that thing fires Hella' Quick, I think I got off 3 shots from tank before the other guy got off his 1 (not lying)

I can believe my tank gets the guided missile perk, a lock-on shell that chases the target...WHAT!?!, and if it has no cool-down, lol those jets are in for a pain of hurt

Only thing is vehicles are used for certain modes/maps, and they aren't in abundance, so it's going to be a fucking crawl leveling these things up
(who thought, hey lets award 10,000 XP/Points, if you fly a jets for fucking 50 Hours, who?, that's not a bonus for players to go after, it isn't even a cherry on top of bonus)

The get 100 kills = 1 star with 1 weapon, and you need 10,000 kills from that weapon = 100 stars, accomplishes what necessarily?
So you get 2,000 XP/Points bonus per star, so a whopping 200,000 XP/Points total gained...which isn't even a blip on the ranks
I mean cap is @25,000,000
(this shit is like White Knight Chronicles FPS leveling edition)

It's a great that there's so much to do, and keep you busy, but also it's daunting that the crawl is hella' slow

Moaradin

evlcookie said:
This seems to be it's purpose, which is lame. The recon class is fucking dull in BF3 compared to say BC2. There's no C4 and no binoculars to blow shit up, which i thought the soflam was going to be.

It's almost like dice want you to sit back in base and just point shit out for other people to shoot. The soflam is good for pointing stuff out, so is the mav and you can get that too!

It totally feels like the role of the recon is to put shit on the ground and sit in bushes. Which i guess makes him "recon" but good god is it boring.

That UAV thing is really good though. I was playing rush with a friend of mine and he would spot everyone and I would flank them and mortar them. In the end he got 3 kills but topped the scoreboard with 3000 or so points.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Izayoi said:
Not really deal breakers either way, I'd wager. Get it for whatever platform you have more friends on.
Thanks a bunch man!

Arcipello said:
favourite maps so far for me

Firestorm
Caspian
Kharg
Canals
Damavand

there are still a couple ive not really played yet, include the night highway map and the map with rain.

That reminds me. I haven't played a single round on Firestorm yet lol

Caspian my favourite so far.

ElyrionX

Some of the weapon unlocks are unreal. 270 kills to unlock a scope for ONE weapon? This isn't goddamn Call of Duty. It's going to take forever to unlock some of those stuff.

Izayoi

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Thanks a bunch man!
Not a problem. Have fun!

evlcookie said:
Make Recon exciting in four easy steps:

1.) Choose semi-auto rifle.
2.) Remove scope.
3.) Equip Spawn Beacon.
4.) Holy fuck I am ruining everything.

ElyrionX said:
Some of the weapon unlocks are unreal. 270 kills to unlock a scope for ONE weapon? This isn't goddamn Call of Duty. It's going to take forever to unlock some of those stuff.
I wouldn't say forever. It's going to take time, but that's Battlefield. If it were Call of Duty you'd have it unlocked in a single match, maybe less.

Once you have it you have it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom