• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

elco

Spent most of yesterday playing the PS3 version. I have to say, it actually exceeded my expectations. This probably has most to do with spending the last month or so reading all the whining on GAF about literally anything. If there is anything I have learned in the years of browsing this forum its just how extreme opinions and reactions are.

I am writing this post mainly for anyone who is on the fence after playing the beta or hearing some of the valid concerns around it. Since the beta I did switch from playing on my 1080i TV to gaming on my 1080p computer monitor, so this may have some impact on my experience as well, not sure really.

As with any multiplayer game I expected a terrible experience going in day 1. So far I have seen issues with squads (voice chat is hit/miss, not actually teaming or grouping when entering server), and late last night I noticed the server browser went from showing me 100s of games down to 5. Both of these I have to assume will be fixed in the near future.

The gameplay it self feels way smoother than the Beta. I was a little dissatisfied with the frame rate and textures in the beta. Maybe switching to my monitor makes the game smoother for some reason, but I would say the frame rate is better than BC2 and maybe approaching COD quality. Textures are much better. The biggest issue I would say is pop in. I personally will sacrifice in that area to get a better frame rate. I really think they are pushing current gen to the max.

Destruction. This one had me worried quite a bit. After the GAF reaction I was expecting the worst. From what I remember of BC2 there were just more little buildings that toppled like playing cards. In 10 hours of playtime in BF3 I cant think of a time yet where I was truly disappointed with lack of destruction. Its not like maps are made up of all types of non destructible buildings. I have had buildings come down on top of me, been crushed by walls falling from a couple stories up. i have leveled gas stations and adjacent buildings from my attack helicopter on kharg as I chased a jeep.

Player count. 24 players seems just fine. I have played 1942 and BF2 on PC and have a fair expectation I think. The maps feel a bit small when you have jets maybe, but on foot they are plenty big. Fav maps so far are Kharg or Canals. I also had a lot of fun on Siene (sp?) in rush mode. Kind of felt like some bank heist in a film only the bad guys stole the LAV or something. Even in CQ Siene was pretty fun as it felt like there were tons of choke points and routes to play with.

TLDR: If you were on the fence after beta, get it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I get the sense that Bazaar will never be anything more than an unorganized clusterfuck with 64 players. There is zero sense of teamplay at that level of chaos.

Mr. Snrub said:
Guess I'm an outlier, but for me, this has been one of DICE's best launches. Haven't really had trouble finding/getting into any servers (aside from minor delays on the 24th). Other than some of the GAF server issues, it's been pretty damned smooth.
Really, no rubber-banding for you at all? I just gave up last night because I was so tired of it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Really, no rubber-banding for you at all? I just gave up last night because I was so tired of it.

Tehran Highway and Kharg Island are the only maps on which I experience routine rubber-banding, though on Kharg it doesn't seem noticeable until I get into a jet.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
SLV said:
RAAAWRRRR, alienware aint sending me an confirmation e-mail with password, meanwhile the keys are dwindling ;_;

Gots my key.

alienware.png

^What it looks like.

Stallion Free said:

Only in Tehran, which I thought was maybe a map issue, but at least one provider (Multiplay) has said they're looking into a cause/fix.

Every so often there would be a lag spike or a little rubber-banding on the GAF server, which is pretty much the only one I've played on. Largely, though, no connectivity or lag problems.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ysiadmihi said:
Tehran Highway and Kharg Island are the only maps on which I experience routine rubber-banding, though on Kharg it doesn't seem noticeable until I get into a jet.
In Kharg I couldn't use any vehicle faster than a tank without it fucking up my ability to drive.

mxgt

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I get the sense that Bazaar will never be anything more than an unorganized clusterfuck with 64 players. There is zero sense of teamplay at that level of chaos.

The alleyway is pretty hilarious on 64 player servers. People in the side rooms, rockets flying down every few seconds.

Is Bazaar 32 CQ any smaller on PC? Considering their "version" of Metro CQ 64 is simply increasing the player count to 64, I wonder how many other maps they skimped on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mxgt said:
The alleyway is pretty hilarious on 64 player servers. People in the side rooms, rockets flying down every few seconds.

Speaking of, though I don't really like Damavand, there's something strangely satisfying about pushing up through the side halls on a 64 player server. Its so hilariously chaotic and impossible.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
EatChildren said:
Speaking of, though I don't really like Damavand, there's something strangely satisfying about pushing up through the side halls on a 64 player server. Its so hilariously chaotic and impossible.

I hate the map myself, but grabbing a humvee and trying to run the blockade in the tunnel can be pretty fun.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Where's the cliff on Davomond, I've played 3 rush maps and have yet to see it.

My team sucked each time though, and refused to push forward. I think we only got to the second set of MCOMS. Is it the 3rd maybe?

belvedere said:
Where's the cliff on Davomond, I've played 3 rush maps and have yet to see it.

My team sucked each time though, and refused to push forward. I think we only got to the second set of MCOMS. Is it the 3rd maybe?

Yup.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, so my Origin game works fine.

But along with the Combat pack, EA also emailed me a code for BF3 LE. How can I tell if its the same code as is already active on my account, or they accidentally sent a new code?

Or is my automatic activation the non LE version? And they sent me an LE "upgrade" code?

Anyone have the same experience?

snack

AndyD said:

But along with the Combat pack, EA also emailed me a code for BF3 LE. How can I tell if its the same code as is already active on my account, or they accidentally sent a new code?

Or is my automatic activation the non LE version? And they sent me an LE "upgrade" code?

It should say LE on Origin.

Mr. Snrub said:
Guess I'm an outlier, but for me, this has been one of DICE's best launches. Haven't really had trouble finding/getting into any servers (aside from minor delays on the 24th). Other than some of the GAF server issues, it's been pretty damned smooth.
I agree. I expected the game and servers to be in much worse shape.

GJS

AndyD said:

Click the "i" next to battlefield 3 or right click show game details and it will show you your product code.

Nabs

AndyD said:

Origin shows you your CD key. You might have to right click BF and click for more info.

iam220

Mr. Snrub said:
Is Bazaar 32 CQ any smaller on PC? Considering their "version" of Metro CQ 64 is simply increasing the player count to 64, I wonder how many other maps they skimped on.

What do you mean? I thought there was conquest large and than there's the regular conquest which is the console equivalent.

In the GAF server nearly everyone is complaining about every map.

I... don't get it. They're all pretty cool in different ways. Perfect? No, but I've seen a lot of people act like they're absolutely awful. Nothing is remotely as bad as Metro, yet (I haven't played all of them).

GenericUser

got the game (ps3), like it ... like it more every minute i play it. but it takes time to get used to the battlefield playstyle (again).

i am so advised right now ...

taoofjord

I've pretty much been avoiding Rush completely, only playing Conquest. I've been having a great time but I just tried Rush on Davamand Peak (whatever it's called) and I'm in LOVE!

Point being, don't avoid Rush completely fellow battlefield vets, it's actually a lot of fun. And perhaps some other maps that don't shine in Conquest come to life like Peak does.

Also, I've surprisingly warmed up to some of the maps that are more infantry focused. Generally I'm not interested in a battlefield map that doesn't have air support but all the maps really are great fun (excluding Operation Metro, of course).

AndyD

aka andydumi
snack said:
It should say LE on Origin.

GJS said:
Click the "i" next to battlefield 3 or right click show game details and it will show you your product code.

Nabs said:
Origin shows you your CD key. You might have to right click BF and click for more info.

Thanks all. I will check if they sent me a second code by mistake by comparing the codes and version I have already working.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
taoofjord said:
I've pretty much been avoiding Rush completely, only playing Conquest. I've been having a great time but I just tried Rush on Davamand Peak (whatever it's called) and I'm in LOVE!

Point being, don't avoid Rush completely fellow battlefield vets, it's actually a lot of fun. And perhaps some other maps that don't shine in Conquest come to life like Peak does.
Rush has always been a lot of fun. I was really surprised to see so many people didn't like it in BC1 since I loved it.

Only got a couple of games last night since the 360 servers were all over the place, but I had a blast. So happy that I have most of today to really dive into the game.

iam220 said:
What do you mean? I thought there was conquest large and than there's the regular conquest which is the console equivalent.

32 player Metro CQ is the same as 64 player. 3 control points.

Foliorum Viridum said:
In the GAF server nearly everyone is complaining about every map.

I... don't get it. They're all pretty cool in different ways. Perfect? No, but I've seen a lot of people act like they're absolutely awful. Nothing is remotely as bad as Metro, yet (I haven't played all of them).

Metro is by far the worst. The others range from mediocre to OMG.

Mr. Snrub said:
Metro is by far the worst. The others range from mediocre to OMG.
We just had that map with the two bridges and I thought it was pretty awesome. You had fighting going on in the tight streets, had to try and push through over one of the bridges, or jump into the river and swim across etc..

Some of the comments in the chat box, though, would make you think it was the worst map ever made. It's just a bit puzzling to me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
taoofjord said:

Also, I've surprisingly warmed up to some of the maps that are more infantry focused. Generally I'm not interested in a battlefield map that doesn't have air support but all the maps really are great fun (excluding Operation Metro, of course).

Can't, I'm conquest until I die.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Finished campaign.

Short but adequate, wouldn't want it to drag on for longer.
The intermissions seriously got on my nerves, enough with the bad cop worse cop routine.
A MOTHERFUCKING NUKE JUST KILLED 80k PEOPLE! Now you have a marine who claims there's a 3rd one in new york, I know! Let's interrogate him for 10h and lock him up I mean what are the odds of a nuke actually blo....oh right Paris
Useless QTEs.
Enjoyed the fact that you play
several different characters

Now to the actual game.

Foliorum Viridum said:
We just had that map with the two bridges and I thought it was pretty awesome. You had fighting going on in the tight streets, had to try and push through over one of the bridges, or jump into the river and swim across etc..

Some of the comments in the chat box, though, would make you think it was the worst map ever made. It's just a bit puzzling to me.

Seine is a bit middle of the road for me at this point. I think one half of the map is pretty damned fun urban combat--lots of verticality, different story buildings you can enter/hide in, etc.

What sucks is working from the OTHER side, where it's just a few blocks of similar buildings and courtyards. But even then, it's not that bad. Certainly better than the majority of BC2 CQ maps.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've been considering picking up this game, but I can't quite make up my mind in terms of what platform. I got all 3, and I'm not really sure if there is any difference between the XBOX 360 version, and the PS3 versions. Other than the fact that PS3 owners got shafted on the BF1943 inclusion. I don't really care, cuz I already have that game.

I am considering the PC version, because I had heard prior to it's release that it ran really solid on even moderate PCs (like mine). I usually don't like getting games that don't have steamworks support, and I hate having to use Origin, but if it runs the best out of the 3 platforms, it still might be worth getting for the PC. Just to give an idea of what kind of PC I'm using, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, AMD/ATI HD5770 gpu with 1gb.

Considering my specs, and how it's been performing on all 3 platforms, any suggestion on which one I should go with?

woober

Yuripaw said:
I've been considering picking up this game, but I can't quite make up my mind in terms of what platform. I got all 3, and I'm not really sure if there is any difference between the XBOX 360 version, and the PS3 versions. Other than the fact that PS3 owners got shafted on the BF1943 inclusion. I don't really care, cuz I already have that game.

I am considering the PC version, because I had heard prior to it's release that it ran really solid on even moderate PCs (like mine). I usually don't like getting games that don't have steamworks support, and I hate having to use Origin, but if it runs the best out of the 3 platforms, it still might be worth getting for the PC. Just to give an idea of what kind of PC I'm using, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, AMD/ATI HD5770 gpu with 1gb.

Considering my specs, and how it's been performing on all 3 platforms, any suggestion on which one I should go with?

PC. You can probably get medium/high settings and play 64 player conquest.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yuripaw said:
you think it'd still run pretty good for me?

It'll run atleast as good as the console version, which only leaves room improvement.

edit: using comparable settings that is, 720p , low-medium etc.

Campaign presentation is top notch. Graphics are amazing. Some of the best lighting I've seen on consoles. I'm only on the third mission, but the story seems fairly compelling.

That being said, the game is too damn hard. I'm playing on normal, and I'm dying so much.

Tadale

I tried to play my 360 copy yesterday evening, and literally did not finish a single round due to server crashes/disconnects. Have they been more stable today? I repeatedly lost all my unlock progress thanks to the server issues – it's been a real pain.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yuripaw said:
you think it'd still run pretty good for me?
Certainly. It will run quite well, just dont expect Ultra settings across the board. Although ti depends on your resolution. At lower resolutions you will be just fine. At a mega resolution it will run worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom