• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone here have the PS3 or 360 versions and have rented a server?

I'd like to know if DICE added more customization options to renting servers on consoles and if there is anyway to get an approximation of a Classic preset?

What was the problem with BF3's? Seemed as extensive as the server browser options on the PC version to me?

Also: LMAO at the game disconnecting me and saying the server is full when the server is full WHEN I'M IN THE SERVER. It's like "NO SHIT, so why did you disconnect me!?"

mrbonesSTL

Neo Member
I liked BF3, I'm liking this, but I hate the fact they do a Premium package and eventually you feel left out if you don't get it...so the game should really just be $100 IMO

Sethos

Banned
Rank up, everything's dandy, exit back to battlelog and it tells me I'm like 500 points off said rank-up. So it has updated already but not with the correct amount.

Christ almighty -.-

Operation locker in a nutshell

10633119555_dc59a81d65_o.png

I should look into GIF recording. These guys just keep dying and reviving each other in an endless standstill.

Grief.exe

I need to find some good, infantry-focussed maps.

Maps like Seine and Bazaar on BF3 were amazing for infantry battles, I haven't played a good one yet on BF4.
Locker is a joke.

Rank up, everything's dandy, exit back to battlelog and it tells me I'm like 500 points off said rank-up. So it has updated already but not with the correct amount.

Christ almighty -.-

I've been leveling up to 12 for the past several days it seems like.

I need to find some good, infantry-focussed maps.

Maps like Seine and Bazaar on BF3 were amazing for infantry battles, I haven't played a good one yet on BF4.
Locker is a joke.

I didn't mind Seine much, but Bazaar was so damn choke-pointy. The close-quarters DLC was actually pretty good. Maybe there will be another for BF4. I really don't like most of these new maps. A few are good though.

Grief.exe

I didn't mind Seine much, but Bazaar was so damn choke-pointy. The close-quarters DLC was actually pretty good. Maybe there will be another for BF4. I really don't like most of these new maps. A few are good though.

The great thing about Bazaar was there were so many ways to flank and push around the choke points.

XAL

I could run BF3 @60 fps on ultra smoothly.
i5 2500k/gtx 580 sc/16gb ram/current drivers for everything

In this game I can run it on ultra but it crashes.
On high as well.
On medium as well.
On low as well.
In commander mode as well.

Halp Dice. Pls fix gaem.

Grief.exe

Seriously

There's fucking nothing. As much as I love the massive open maps, I loved the BF3 close quarters stuff as well. Locker is so terrible.

I'm looking through the maps and there isn't much.

Parcel Storm, Zavod 311 and Dawn Breaker offer some infantry combat, but not that much. Operation Locker is complete garbage.

I just get tired of getting killed by all the 'bullshit' in Battlefield sometimes.

Finally got a full round in and it was on Zavod. Terrible map, can't see shit half the time and get killed from all these little hidey holes

Next round was on Lancang Dam and the audio kept cutting in and out as well as severe lagging and bad hit detection

The MP is really not fun yet.

maneil99

its a 0x000000124 BSOD so I know it's hardware. Its probably CPU/GPU overheating or something since I have both overclocked. Thing is, only game this happens with is BF4, not even stressing on prime95 or whatever, so I kinda dont wanna underclock :/

maybe they'll optimize it a bit more in a future patch?
Gotta be CPU. Just add a touch of vcore. Shouldnt make a difference temp wise. How long do you prime95?
Try windows 8.1 if possible. It handles the cpu differently for bf4

maneil99

I'm looking through the maps and there isn't much.

Parcel Storm, Zavod 311 and Dawn Breaker offer some infantry combat, but not that much. Operation Locker is complete garbage.

I just get tired of getting killed by all the 'bullshit' in Battlefield sometimes.
Its kinda like they got rid of the small maps and the large maps and ended up with mostly medium size maps.

Wow. Played Obliteration on flooded Flood Zone for an hour and 19 minutes. We lost but it was awesome. And then couple matches later 35 minute long Obliteration match on Operation Locker. We won 3-0, and there were so many frags, oh man.

Sethos

Banned
Man, I'm contemplating buying a small 16 v 16 Conquest server, snip out some of the shit maps like Locker and always have a server with some decent settings. Man I'm getting tired of Locker, huge ass 48+ servers and randomness.

What was the problem with BF3's? Seemed as extensive as the server browser options on the PC version to me?

Also: LMAO at the game disconnecting me and saying the server is full when the server is full WHEN I'M IN THE SERVER. It's like "NO SHIT, so why did you disconnect me!?"

It wasn't as extensive as the PC server options. You couldn't set ping restrictions, TTK, vehicle spawn time, et cetera. I want to know if I can make a Classic preset server on the PS4 like I see on the PC.

HariKari

Holy crap, already 46 pages.

FIX SERVER CRASH
FIX NET CODE
FIX STUTTER (Rubber Banding)
THATS ALL

Thanks Dice.

They need to flip the killswitch and hard restart all the servers. I don't care if it ruins a handful of games for people. It's more important that all these servers be on the same page. Do it during off hours if you can.

On a side note: FairFight and Punkbuster seem to be working well enough. Had a hacker join my game and his killing streak triggered fairfight, immediately banning him from the server. These sorts of things won't stop the more malicious use of wallhacks (good players don't need aimbots to dominate) but it's a start.

OK, I know I've talked some shit about the game, but I'm starting to dig it. I'm coming around on the fact that weapons are more lethal and adjusting my playstyle. I'm kind of liking that you need to be a bit more cautious.

I think I understand why they made the guns more lethal . . . the engagement ranges in 4 seem a lot father than 3, so if they made the weapons have the same lethality as BF3, I don't think anyone would die until you're in close range. It's starting to make sense to me, but I still think they should find a balance of the weapon lethality, recoil and spread like it is in 3 and 4.

So far this afternoon....
Join server, play 2 games, server crash
Join server, game crash
Join server, game crash
Join server, server crash.

THE BATTLEFIELD EXPERIENCE

Lakitu

st5fu
Finally got a full round in and it was on Zavod. Terrible map, can't see shit half the time and get killed from all these little hidey holes

Next round was on Lancang Dam and the audio kept cutting in and out as well as severe lagging and bad hit detection

The MP is really not fun yet.

The sound loss is quite frustrating. However, I love Zavod 311. I wasn't anticipating this map at all, but its great.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, setting up an unofficial NeoGAF server EU, server located in Copenhagen. Got it for a month so if no one cares I'll just let it die but if it picks up, I will let it run.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Having no proper Anti Air weaponry at the start of the game makes choppers a huge fucking pain in the ass

It doesn't get any better. Stingers and IGLAs are both a joke. The only thing I worry about in the scout copter is jets, another scout copter, mobile AA, and the attack boats.

Don't expect to ever take one down with a manpad unless you've got plenty of help. Which is how it should work. Use an IGLA or a Stinger for a mobility hit to give your own copters the edge in the fight.

Why are there jets on Dawnbreaker CQ?? There's no room at all for them to fly in and the get across the map super quick. It's an absolutely baffling decision

HariKari

OK, I know I've talked some shit about the game, but I'm starting to dig it. I'm coming around on the fact that weapons are more lethal and adjusting my playstyle. I'm kind of liking that you need to be a bit more cautious.

I think I understand why they made the guns more lethal . . . the engagement ranges in 4 seem a lot father than 3, so if they made the weapons have the same lethality as BF3, I don't think anyone would die until you're in close range. It's starting to make sense to me, but I still think they should find a balance of the weapon lethality, recoil and spread like it is in 3 and 4.

The recoil in 4 is dumbed down to the point where it is only noticeable on high caliber weapons or at a ROF higher than 800 or so. The latter are the guns the tryhards like myself use, because ROF is king up close. You simply won't win if you bring an AK to an AEK fight. I have near 25% accuracy with the AKU-12 (which is somehow better than its AR big brother) which is just absurd. You don't need to compensate as much, and offer attachments that take compensating for recoil completely out of the game like compensators and brakes.

All this helps bridge the gap between your 1200+ SPM 3.0 KD+ players of old and someone just starting out. It's just a lot more friendly than BF3, and I'd imagine the difference on console is night and day.

The reduced time to kill also is more friendly for newer players. It doesn't take much to bring someone down. Combine that with the more accurate guns and you stand less chance of getting mowed over by someone who has mastered mechanics like in 3. The only downside to this is that guns like the PDWs do insane damage up close, to the point of almost being cheap with their high rate of fire, low recoil, and high round count. Not sure I agree with that at all.

Overall, good changes. Makes my life as a tryhard harder, but more rewarding.

AEREC

Wasnt enjoying this game until I started playing Smaller playercount servers on Hardcore. Normal is just way to random...feels like Im getting killed every 10 seconds.

I think BF4 has become less enjoyable as the series goes on (as it gets more complex and modern) but it's still a great game and nothing comes close to the sound or action movie feel as BF does.

Id still love to see an updated WWII or Vietnam BF game again...BF1943 was great and Im bummed they didnt expand on it.

It doesn't get any better. Stingers and IGLAs are both a joke. The only thing I worry about in the scout copter is jets, another scout copter, mobile AA, and the attack boats.

Don't expect to ever take one down with a manpad unless you've got plenty of help.

I have a feeling that they're going to nerf / buff air in a couple patches. I never use the stealth jet. It's guns, even the 30mm, are a joke, and it's funny how a Frogfoot is almost as fast and can out turn a F35.

Attack helis are criminally underpowered as well.

wrongway

Wow. Played Obliteration on flooded Flood Zone for an hour and 19 minutes. We lost but it was awesome. And then couple matches later 35 minute long Obliteration match on Operation Locker. We won 3-0, and there were so many frags, oh man.

Hah, I was in an 80 minute Obliteration game on Shanghai earlier. The enemy team had us down to 1 while we had yet to clear one, but we managed to lock em in a stalemate for a bit then gather enough momentum to clear all of their points. So good.

As for the Stinger and IGLA being a joke, gotta disagree. The Stinger can be iffy since it's easier to spoof in exchange for its fire-and-forget nature, but the IGLA's a terror. I've had great luck knocking down choppers with it. Planes are, of course, another matter since they can just blast out of your range in a heartbeat.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, I've set it up to run "ConquestSmall" which I believe are normal sized conquest. Default settings and I've left all maps in the rotation to start with. It's easy to change in case we get particularly bored of a map. Later we can look into running mixed modes or perhaps fine-tuning settings like Killcam etc. if that has any interest. I'll post a link / name when I see it go up.

Grief.exe

What is the difference between Conquest Small and Conquest?

Are there even fewer cap points? I did not know that Conquest Small was an option.

Salsa

Gotta be CPU. Just add a touch of vcore. Shouldnt make a difference temp wise. How long do you prime95?
Try windows 8.1 if possible. It handles the cpu differently for bf4

I have a bad PSU that doesnt let me handle vcore individually (among other OC blocking things, have to overclock the turbo speed feature for example), but it was never an issue before. I'll try maybe toning it down from 4.5 to 4.4 if it persists much longer

Sethos

Banned
What is the difference between Conquest Small and Conquest?

Are there even fewer cap points? I did not know that Conquest Small was an option.

I think ConquestSmall is the default "up-to-32-players" version. ConquestLarge is the 64 Player version.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I've set it up to run "ConquestSmall" which I believe are normal sized conquest. Default settings and I've left all maps in the rotation to start with. It's easy to change in case we get particularly bored of a map. Later we can look into running mixed modes or perhaps fine-tuning settings like Killcam etc. if that has any interest. I'll post a link / name when I see it go up.

Good stuff :) Out of curiosity who you using for the server ?

meshwork

Sounds good. Most people tend to gravitate towards higher player counts, but I see that's not your goal anyway so it's all good. I'll definitely play there. Who knows, maybe Locker isn't absolute shite with a smaller player limit.

Sethos

Banned
Good stuff :) Out of curiosity who you using for the server ?

Fragnet to start with, in case that's no bueno I'll just find something else.

Sounds good. Most people tend to gravitate towards higher player counts, but I see that's not your goal anyway so it's all good. I'll definitely play there. Who knows, maybe Locker isn't absolute shite with a smaller player limit.

Yeah I know but I simply can't stand that many players. So I bought it to have my own go-to place but might as well label it a GAF server.

EDIT: Server will be running "E3-1270v2 CPUs offering 3.5Ghz (turboboost to 3.9Ghz), minimum of 16Gb DDR3 ECC RAM and SSD for faster mapcycles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom