• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

The crashes you guys are getting, are they mostly crashes to desktop or legit hard locks where you have to reset your PC? Cuz if it's the latter, it's probably not the game's fault......
I get a lot of the game dying. It freezes, cant alt-tab, need to pull out task manager. Then get an error message telling battlefield 4 has stopped working (derp, thx windows). It sometimes also just dies-dies, just goes away for no apparent reason.

cripterion

Not only the game but imo they managed to make Battlelog even worse, you try to join a server, it tells you it's not there anymore when you can see it, refresh button doesn't work, they tell you to close the exe of the game when it's not even running so you're only option is to restart your pc...
And yeah as for the crashes in my case it's sound stuffer/freeze, or just CTD with the bf4.exe not responding.

Give me back the sweet beta cause none of these issues were in it :/

Playing stupid Obliteration on Operation Locker, had been going for 1 hour 10 minutes, we were just about to win and my fucking game crashed, 20,000 EXP lost. Fuck this shit.

I'm trying to stay in low ticket servers for this very reason. I've lost two huge XP matches and I'm not doing that again.

I refuse to use the Battlepack XP boosts until they get the crashes sorted too.

GetemMa

I've stopped trying to play this game.

It is fun when I do play it but I rarely finish more than a couple games before it craps out.

I will periodically check gaf for updates, but right now the game isn't really playable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The crashes you guys are getting, are they mostly crashes to desktop or legit hard locks where you have to reset your PC? Cuz if it's the latter, it's probably not the game's fault......

Former. For me, technical issues in descending order of frequency.

- Stutter/rubber banding. More common on certain maps, is a server side issue. Desperately needs to be fixed.
- Sound bugs. 50%+ of audio in a match cutting out. No reload sound, jet flies by with no sound, etc. Seems like a sever side/map bug.
- Disconnects. Server crashes, boots everyone from the looks of things.
- Hard crashes. Game freezes, audio loop, have to task manager shut down the game. Haven't finished a game of Shanghai because of it. Rare, but guaranteed on that map.

Crisco

Banned
Former. For me, technical issues in descending order of frequency.

- Stutter/rubber banding. More common on certain maps, is a server side issue. Desperately needs to be fixed.
- Sound bugs. 50%+ of audio in a match cutting out. No reload sound, jet flies by with no sound, etc. Seems like a sever side/map bug.
- Disconnects. Server crashes, boots everyone from the looks of things.
- Hard crashes. Game freezes, audio loop, have to task manager shut down the game. Haven't finished a game of Shanghai because of it. Rare, but guaranteed on that map.

Yeah, I've had all of that, except instead of a "hard crash" as you described, the game basically just closes and drops me to the desktop with one of those "this application as stopped working" messages. It's odd that you can even get a task manager with a "hard crash", in the past those meant I needed to just power cycle.

HelloMeow

This fucking delay man. In a game, where most people have a ping of <30ms, this kind of crap happens way too often.

iyir22ppCyXjv.gif

Dr Prob

Banned
The real metric is score per minute, skill, win percentage and kills per minute.

I honestly think the only real way to determine a player's "value" is to play with them and then ask yourself if you want this person on your team/in your squad.

There are too many variables for the stats to be meaningful. A spawn beacon in a building at the far point of the map in a match your team is losing is super valuable. There will be points for the spawns, sure--but nothing for the cap, or the disables and slowing of vehicles out of the enemy spawn that it eventually provides, giving your team the opportunity to turn the tide.

Shitload of points to be had for throwing down a pack and flinging shit down a hallway in CQ though--and there's certainly a place for that, it's fun. But I guess what I'm getting at is that some of the most important things don't show on the scoreboard, so you can't math it out. Gotta see it. With your EYES! Gotta feel it. With your LOINS!

elyetis

Tell me about it. The way EatChildren has been describing this stuff wasn't that prominent in the beta. I wonder what happened.
Same for Bf3 alpha ( and maybe beta can't remember ), Dice seems to like making games worst from pre-release to release state.

friday

I'm having a hard time saying anything nice about Dawnbreaker. I just don't know why that map exists or what it's trying to do.

If you are not in armor that map is terrible. All the great balancing that makes Siege a great map is thrown aside so that MBTs just cream everything. Most of the streets are wide open and there are very few interior paths so infantry gets chewed up. Shit is bush league. I can't wait till servers stop rotating all maps. I want a solid flood/storm/resort rotation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Issues cropping up that weren't in the beta is what confuses me so. Fact of the matter is the beta was significantly more stable than the full release, and that just shouldn't happen.

Weirdly, I have noticed issues that people reported in the beta that I never got. I remember a few people here saying that the beta had some bug where when going prone your character would kinda automatically move in certain directions, all buggy like it's trying to fit to the terrain. Never once had that problem in the beta, but definitely sometimes have it in the full release.

Yeah, I've had all of that, except instead of a "hard crash" as you described, the game basically just closes and drops me to the desktop with one of those "this application as stopped working" messages. It's odd that you can even get a task manager with a "hard crash", in the past those meant I needed to just power cycle.

Oh I get those "application has stopped work" errors sometimes too, usually during a map change. Not often though.

Sethos

Banned
Think I've been given a duff server. It crashes like everybody else however, when mine crashes it starts with the ping spikes which is unusual but when it kicks everybody I lose control completely for an hour or more - I can't start, stop or even reinstall it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Issues cropping up that weren't in the beta is what confuses me so. Fact of the matter is the beta was significantly more stable than the full release, and that just shouldn't happen.

Weirdly, I have noticed issues that people reported in the beta that I never got. I remember a few people here saying that the beta had some bug where when going prone your character would kinda automatically move in certain directions, all buggy like it's trying to fit to the terrain. Never once had that problem in the beta, but definitely sometimes have it in the full release.
That's not a bug. You automatically crawl out of corners so people don't phase into walls with half their body.

EatChildren

That's not a bug. You automatically crawl out of corners so people don't phase into walls with half their body.

I know that. But it happens on terrain where it shouldn't.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Oh I get those "application has stopped work" errors sometimes too, usually during a map change. Not often though.
Maybe the Server load is much much bigger than during the Beta so the game servers start to break.

Hopefully it gets resolved for the PS4 launch.
If i remember correctly BFBC2 and BF3 launches were kinda rough too. I think i couldnt play BFBC2 MP during the first week.

friday

My biggest fear right now is the net code never being fixed. How they managed to mess it up more than bf3 is beyond me.

Holiday

Banned
My biggest fear right now is the net code never being fixed. How they managed to mess it up more than bf3 is beyond me.

My biggest fear is playing Zavod. Rust buckets are no fun. That, and the automatic resets that still plague me from time to time.

Makoto

I have no idea how people hate Zavod. The worst map in this game has to be a tie between Golmud and Rogue Transmission. The former in particular is like a rejected End Game map. It just screams Battlefield 3 map philosophy of open-field nonsense that grossly favors vehicles.

Crisco

Banned
Question: the weapon attachments that say "penalty to the accuracy of automatic fire", does that literally mean it impacts your aiming when the gun is in automatic firing mode, even if you only fire a single shot or short bursts? Or does it just affect spray and pray?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This game is starting to piss me off, with the constant crashing, rubber banding and shitty stuttering especially in combat. I can't aim for shit, it feels like i'm playing with 15 fps.

/done

wrongway

I honestly think the only real way to determine a player's "value" is to play with them and then ask yourself if you want this person on your team/in your squad.

There are too many variables for the stats to be meaningful. A spawn beacon in a building at the far point of the map in a match your team is losing is super valuable. There will be points for the spawns, sure--but nothing for the cap, or the disables and slowing of vehicles out of the enemy spawn that it eventually provides, giving your team the opportunity to turn the tide.

Shitload of points to be had for throwing down a pack and flinging shit down a hallway in CQ though--and there's certainly a place for that, it's fun. But I guess what I'm getting at is that some of the most important things don't show on the scoreboard, so you can't math it out. Gotta see it. With your EYES! Gotta feel it. With your LOINS!
Yep. A lot of things can be super valuable without really driving up your stats.

Are you a great medic who's always on the front reviving and healing people, but you're a poor shot? Your KDR and KPM are garbage, and your Skill and SPM is far lower than they would be if you could shoot. Are you a good shot and always play the objective but don't always play with a coordinated group? Your Win/Loss is dictated by the random people on your team. Are you an ace helo pilot who swoops down in the nick of time to get your bomb carrier out of danger and to a point before the enemy team can mount a defense? You're instrumental to your team's victory, but it does nothing for the rest of your stats.

All the metrics can be marginalized. I don't think there's much point to them beyond personal amusement.

Same for Bf3 alpha ( and maybe beta can't remember ), Dice seems to like making games worst from pre-release to release state.
The netcode in BF3's public alpha was fantastic. It was probably the best experience you could get outside of a LAN without breaking the laws of physics. I wonder what happened. :(

EatChildren

I've grown to like Zavod. I think I can easily like any map as long as it meets two criteria.

1) Infantry and vehicle use is balanced throughout, making both viable, generally leaning towards using the former more frequently. Vehicle wank maps are bad.

and 2) Map design and flag positions lead to a natural flow of entanglements and tactics across the map with a nice ebb and flow of ticket balance. That is to say there's lots of great battles going on all across the map, and not just one big fucking meat grinder in the middle as back flags are ignored.

Last few matches of Zavod, despite the map size, have suited both those criteria. Vehicles are strong, but infantry is highly valuable, and a tight play of tactics/squads has everybody fighting over every capture point, not just fucking around in the middle two.

Based on my play time, I'm confident (smaller balance issues aside) that Parcel Storm, Siege of Shanghai, Zavod, and Rogue Transmission also fit this criteria. Rogue Transmission might push it but I've had some great matches on that map.

Hainan Resort could be great too, but the map always has a sound bug and rubber banding, so I can't rate it. Lancang Dam maybe as well. Flood Zone also, but seems a lot more infantry focused than vehicles not that I mind.

Operation Locker should just be renamed Operation Unlocker since that's what people will use it for. Golmund Railway could be bad/good. I've had a few good rounds on it, but like Hainan Resort it's always bugged. Could totally see vehicles being well overpowered for my liking.

Dawnbreaker I played a little bit once for like one minute and it seemed like a poor man's Siege of Shanghai. So whatever.

TLDR: Bring on Firestorm.

Holiday

Banned
I have no idea how people hate Zavod. The worst map in this game has to be a tie between Golmud and Rogue Transmission. The former in particular is like a rejected End Game map. It just screams Battlefield 3 map philosophy of open-field nonsense that grossly favors vehicles.

I dislike Golmud as well. There might not be a map in this game that I really enjoy. Maybe Hainan, but I haven't really gotten a chance to play it yet. Too much Zavod on the list.

I've grown to like Zavod. I think I can easily like any map as long as it meets two criteria.

1) Infantry and vehicle use is balanced throughout, making both viable, generally leaning towards using the former more frequently. Vehicle wank maps are bad.

and 2) Map design and flag positions lead to a natural flow of entanglements and tactics across the map with a nice ebb and flow of ticket balance. That is to say there's lots of great battles going on all across the map, and not just one big fucking meat grinder in the middle as back flags are ignored.

Last few matches of Zavod, despite the map size, have suited both those criteria. Vehicles are strong, but infantry is highly valuable, and a tight play of tactics/squads has everybody fighting over every capture point, not just fucking around in the middle two.

Ah, different experiences. My time on Zavod has been inordinately centered on C and D, with some lighter fighting on B and E.

Salz01

Are the crashes specific to the PC version? Or is it happening on the consoles too? Wondering about the ps4 version next week.

vixlar

But I think that's not a bug. If you try to prone near a wall, your character move to avoid the body going trough the wall.

Question: the weapon attachments that say "penalty to the accuracy of automatic fire", does that literally mean it impacts your aiming when the gun is in automatic firing mode, even if you only fire a single shot or short bursts? Or does it just affect spray and pray?

That penalty is an increase in the amount of bullet spread you get for firing each bullet after the first, since the first always has zero spread. So it affects you any time you fire multiple bullets in succession, semi auto or automatic, without letting your spread go back to neutral. Single shots and short bursts just mean you give yourself a little window of the crosshairs settling, but has no effect on how much each bullet fired increases spread.

Crisco

Banned
That penalty is an increase in the amount of bullet spread you get for firing each bullet after the first, since the first always has zero spread. So it affects you any time you fire multiple bullets in succession, semi auto or automatic, without letting your spread go back to neutral. Single shots and short bursts just means you give yourself a little window of the crosshairs settling, but has no effect on how much each bullet fired increases spread.

Well that makes sense, thanks.

Tekku

Hey guys, don't forget to forward any bugs or glitches that you find. Someone on Gaf posted a video yesterday that showed the cause of the sound glitch but didn't contact DICE about it.

I did however, and they thanked me because they were clueless about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom