• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudoboi

anyone else getting "you are not connected" on origin?

edit: just got locked out of my account with no way back in. their 2 step verification isn't working and their support is useless too.

Iskander

Neo Member
Got the game Friday on PC. No crashes so far - runs pretty nice, about comparable to BF3. Only played about 3 hours, but I played some team DM, Conquest, and Rush (and campaign...zzzz) without problems.

Is there a list of GAF Origin users, or does everyone just play on the GAF servers?

System specs for those interested:
Windows 7 64-bit
i5-3570K (no OC)
8GB RAM
GTX 660
All settings on High, except texture filtering, effects quality, and antialiasing post (medium), and antialiasing deferred (none).

CatPee

If you need a compensator on the AKU-12, you are doing it wrong. It's arguably the most tame gun in the game, right up there with the SAR-21. I see Levelcap and some others advocating these brake/compensator crutches as ways to 'tame' guns when most guns are flat out better than their BF3 equivalents and the recoil compensation is something you can easily do yourself. It's just not worth a 30% accuracy penalty on a lot of guns.

The only place I can really advocate using them is on LMGs, due to the need for sustained fire vs precision fire. If you are really bad at controlling guns, anything with a ROF >750 could use one.

I don't have any trouble with the controllability of the AKU-12 (nor should anyone, really). But it does feel that the shots are grouped a wee bit tighter with it on. It more or less plays the post-patch role of reducing horizontal recoil of BF3's foregrip. Not having it on makes me feel like I'm missing more shots while hipfiring for some reason.

Faith

Played some Team Deathmatch on Operation Locker with 64 players. Got around 250.000 points in 5 rounds and around 250 medkit ribbons xD

It's just insane, worse than Metro.

Xyber

It's funny, as each day passes my enjoyment for this game just goes down. =/

If they would release a patch to fix the stupid crashes I'd be way more into the game. The shitty netcode I can deal with, I'm having a blast anyway as long as the game don't crash on me.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
Is EA feeling any heat for releasing a game that is unplayable for a lot of people due to constant freezes or are they going to get away with it, yet again?

Sethos

Banned
If they would release a patch to fix the stupid crashes I'd be way more into the game. The shitty netcode I can deal with, I'm having a blast anyway as long as the game don't crash on me.

Unfortunately for me it's more gameplay centric stuff that makes me start a game, play for 15 minutes, sigh and then go play something else. Man they need to fix Defuse soon.

bidguy

Banned
Is EA feeling any heat for releasing a game that is unplayable for a lot of people due to constant freezes or are they going to get away with it, yet again?

nope

i was going to double dip and get the next gen version aswell but ill wait a few days

lets see if the next gen console versions fare better

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

People only care about this when they want to dislike a game before it's out, like Batman.

Crashes galore again, missing crosshairs, and the LEVELOUTION™ event on Shanghai still destroys the server.

HelloMeow

For me it's not the collapsing building that's causing the crashes on Siege of Shanghai. It just randomly crashes, before or after the building goes down.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
For me it's not the collapsing building that's causing the crashes on Siege of Shanghai. It just randomly crashes, before or after the building goes down.

The building causes like half the server to crash every single time.

It's funny, as each day passes my enjoyment for this game just goes down. =/

I feel the same mainly due to how much this POS crashes. You know you fucked up when the beta was much more stable.

Every time I say this is the last time I touch this game until they release a giant ass fix but then I get weak and go right in
just to crash half way through the round...

I seriously wish I was hyperboling but I can't remember the last time I actually finished 2 full rounds from start to finish without crashing.

Bob White

How are you getting that many knife kills?

Oh, play Obliteration only. Try for 48 man rooms. I don't like 64 because first, I dont't think ANY of the levels actually cater to 64 players and second, you'll get caught out more with the extra eyes on the enemy team. The mode usually lasts long enough to stack melee ribbons and there is just something about the mode that lends itself to catching people off guard.

Since the bomb is always moving, a well placed spawn beacon can net you insane flanks. Also, create a private squad ASAP. Nothing worst than getting a good spawn beacon placed only to have some Assault guy spawn with no silencer blowing your scene up.

Sethos

Banned
almost two weeks since release and still no client patch

pathetic

I have this sneaking suspicion they might even connect them to the next-gen consoles, meaning we won't even see a patch until both consoles are released ...

And while I just wrote that I paused in horror. Previous patch cycles were slow as fuck but imagine they now have 360, PS3, Xbox One AND PS4 as well to QA for?! We'll see a patch a year.

If you need a compensator on the AKU-12, you are doing it wrong. It's arguably the most tame gun in the game, right up there with the SAR-21. I see Levelcap and some others advocating these brake/compensator crutches as ways to 'tame' guns when most guns are flat out better than their BF3 equivalents and the recoil compensation is something you can easily do yourself. It's just not worth a 30% accuracy penalty on a lot of guns.

The only place I can really advocate using them is on LMG http://cl.ly/0x2b3Z2Y2Z1Ls, due to the need for sustained fire vs precision fire. If you are really bad at controlling guns, anything with a ROF >750 could use one.

Compensator decreases spread=increases accuracy. I've been using it on my mid range guns so anything around 750rpm.http://cl.ly/0x2b3Z2Y2Z1L

Divus

Ok I've got a question. Several times now when I have been flying the Little Bird I've suddenly dropped out of the air unable to climb for a good 10-15 seconds. I can spin in place and fire but I drop like a rock without taking any damage. Please tell me that's not a commanders EMP and something else?

Was furious last night when that happened. We were spawn trapped and I jumped in the LB and started taking care of the snipers holding us back. Then out of know where I fell straight down in the middle of them. Next thing I know after a good 10 seconds of being on the ground I rapidly climbed and then 10 seconds later back down on the ground where I was shot out and they stole it.

i miss bf3 :|

dice had a long time unfuck the game but they finally got things mostly right probably around the time armored kill was released, just astonishing how they've seemingly learned nothing from that experience for bf4.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Ok I've got a question. Several times now when I have been flying the Little Bird I've suddenly dropped out of the air unable to climb for a good 10-15 seconds. I can spin in place and fire but I drop like a rock without taking any damage. Please tell me that's not a commanders EMP and something else?

Was furious last night when that happened. We were spawn trapped and I jumped in the LB and started taking care of the snipers holding us back. Then out of know where I fell straight down in the middle of them. Next thing I know after a good 10 seconds of being on the ground I rapidly climbed and then 10 seconds later back down on the ground where I was shot out and they stole it.

Was there an AA on the map?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately for me it's more gameplay centric stuff that makes me start a game, play for 15 minutes, sigh and then go play something else. Man they need to fix Defuse soon.

You're mostly a one life gametype player aren't you Sethos ? (I'm not implying anything btw but I can see why having Defuse problems would put you off)

Sethos

Banned
You're mostly a one life gametype player aren't you Sethos ? (I'm not implying anything btw but I can see why having Defuse problems would put you off)

That is my go-to mode in every game yes, as it provides some of the best gameplay and removes the bullshit spawn element completely. However many of my annoyances with Battlefield at the moment stems from the fact that I never feel like I'm having a proper gunfight, never have any of those super-satisfying moments.

Always the same crap where people always know where you are, when you're finally in a cool shootout a helicopter comes whizzing by with some rookie pilot and takes you out. When you are on the ground in a cool battle involving armour you just get shot by some lone dude standing on a rooftop 6 miles away. You never get that fair enjoyable fight, it's always just random bullshit that kills you. Add netcode issues on top of that.

On many of the open maps, if you don't get a vehicle or even transport it's usually just a ton of running and being exposed to all the shit flying around. If you decide to spawn on a teammate you usually end up in a situation where you often die. Die and start over. Every time there's a more open map, I leave the server.

I know that's the nature of Battlefield but also the reason why I was so stoked about Defuse. Plus Close-Quarters in Battlefield 3 made me appreciate that game a lot more.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I would play the shit out of Defuse but it's really bugged at the moment.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
any for the EU server? trying to get people to hop in.

Edit: there were some Germans in there just now trying to glitch around. lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That is my go-to mode in every game yes, as it provides some of the best gameplay and removes the bullshit spawn element completely. However many of my annoyances with Battlefield at the moment stems from the fact that I never feel like I'm having a proper gunfight, never have any of those super-satisfying moments.

Always the same crap where people always know where you are, when you're finally in a cool shootout a helicopter comes whizzing by with some rookie pilot and takes you out. When you are on the ground in a cool battle involving armour you just get shot by some lone dude standing on a rooftop 6 miles away. You never get that fair enjoyable fight, it's always just random bullshit that kills you. Add netcode issues on top of that.

On many of the open maps, if you don't get a vehicle or even transport it's usually just a ton of running and being exposed to all the shit flying around. If you decide to spawn on a teammate you usually end up in a situation where you often die. Die and start over. Every time there's a more open map, I leave the server.

I know that's the nature of Battlefield but also the reason why I was so stoked about Defuse. Plus Close-Quarters in Battlefield 3 made me appreciate that game a lot more.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I would play the shit out of Defuse but it's really bugged at the moment.

Ah fair enough, I can certainly understand those reasons.

I've been spending a lot of time recently playing Domination/Team Deathmatch for smaller matches. I'm enjoying the core gunplay a lot more compared to BF3. Found a fun as hell Pistol/Knife only Domination server which is a blast to play as well for something different :) You're not even allowed to use grenades.

Ok guys so the last few days I've been doing the C4 suicide on vehicle trick... but honestly I miss it more often than I'll admit.

However, the M2 slam when placed on the front of a vehicle is fool proof. All you have to do is get close to the tank and it blows up. I've been ramming stuff head on and it blows up everytime.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wasnt the BETA like much much more stable than release? The PS3 Beta only crashed once for me.
Gonna guess its a server load issue, more folks playing than anticipated or somethin'

* Crossing fingers for the PS4 release *
DICEY PLS

Most of that is why I loved Battlefield Bad Company 2. The gunfights in that were great. You didn't die to random crap nearly so often because the map size was a bit smaller and almost none of the maps were huge, open fields. Of course that game had a lot of balance issues with the actual classes but I could deal with that.

I'm tired of being sniped in BF4 by people on top of buildings miles away who obviously don't care about objectives at all. And those OP attack boats.... jesus.

I also hate the progression system being tied up in battlepacks. In previous games, I always knew what was required to unlock something. I could set goals and gauge how long I had to get something. In BF4, I see a lot of attachments are unlocked in Battlepacks and I have no effing clue how long I'll have to wait until the game randomly decides to give them to me.

friday

I am loving the dynamics of the different weapons, I use the ace 53 cqb on most maps but I switched back over to the ak 5c on one of the larger maps and was getting some great kills at range. Also the AKU is so sick in burst mode I feel guilty using it. It drops people so fast they are probably blaming in on the net code

Ok guys so the last few days I've been doing the C4 suicide on vehicle trick... but honestly I miss it more often than I'll admit.

However, the M2 slam when placed on the front of a vehicle is fool proof. All you have to do is get close to the tank and it blows up. I've been ramming stuff head on and it blows up everytime.

Oh also, since these are mines they stay on after you die, so if you get shot off your quad but it still rolls into a tank you get the kill.

RS4-

Most of that is why I loved Battlefield Bad Company 2. The gunfights in that were great. You didn't die to random crap nearly so often because the map size was a bit smaller and almost none of the maps were huge, open fields. Of course that game had a lot of balance issues with the actual classes but I could deal with that.

I'm tired of being sniped in BF4 by people on top of buildings miles away who obviously don't care about objectives at all. And those OP attack boats.... jesus.

I also hate the progression system being tied up in battlepacks. In previous games, I always knew what was required to unlock something. I could set goals and gauge how long I had to get something. In BF4, I see a lot of attachments are unlocked in Battlepacks and I have no effing clue how long I'll have to wait until the game randomly decides to give them to me.

I don't mind some of the unlocks being tied into the battlepacks; I think maybe the amount of them is misleading? One unlock of each is tied into your kills, the second and third version of each respective unlock is from battlepacks. You're not losing anything except aesthetics. If anything, it's just the Coyote/Kobra are the big ones because of what they offer in terms of visibility, same thing with the other sights, but you at least get one core for the close/med/long range ones just for meeting the kill requirement.

For example: the Scar-H. RDS you get via kills (as mentioned, Coyote/Kobra are battlepack). You also unlock one of four suppressors via kills as well, the other three are for visuals; I don't know if they offer any actual sound difference.
The ergo/angled/stubby are done through kills, the other three? No difference from their respective BP unlock, aside from looks.

jaaz

This is all true, especially for a Combat Medic. Because of it, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've been spending a lot of time playing Locker because it offers some good CQC. The problem are the choke points at C, which bore me to tears, especially since I usually play Medic on this map. But there are some good corners and other areas where the CQC can be really satisfying.

All in all I blame it on the netcode. Way too many instances where you and your opponent are both killed, way too many one-shot kills (especially from LMGs which can apparently be carried around like assault rifles), and spawning on a squad member anywhere near combat is like an instant death (I usually have to spawn 2 flags away and hoof it to the battle to keep from getting insta-killed). But worst of all: getting killed behind cover. Not being able to duck out, shoot and duck behind cover again because the netcode lags and you get killed behind the cover is the WORST thing about this game right now. It almost ruins the whole game for me, because I can't use the terrain effectively. I end up just sneaking around all the time trying to catch someone off-guard before I get spotted half-way across the map and killed. On big maps, I always feel exposed, even when I spawn, because cover is so useless.

I don't mind some of the unlocks being tied into the battlepacks; I think maybe the amount of them is misleading? One unlock of each is tied into your kills, the second and third version of each respective unlock is from battlepacks. You're not losing anything except aesthetics. If anything, it's just the Coyote/Kobra are the big ones because of what they offer in terms of visibility

Hmmm. It might be because I see the Coyote as being more of a functional sidegrade that I'm exaggerating the important of battlepacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom