• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

meppi

One thing I truly hate about this game on PS4 is how overused the aim assist is.
It's pretty much an auto-aim feature now.
Getting a tiny bit aim assist I can understand with a console shooter, but this is just ridiculous. One can easily camp on top of a skyscraper in Dawnbreaker and mow down player after player on the ground thanks to the auto aim.

I wish Dice had at least a tiny bit of confidence in their own game like Guerrilla does and minimise this "feature".
It's not like the game isn't extremely noob friendly as it is with all the lock-on crap and fire and forget hardware already. :-/

One thing I truly hate about this game on PS4 is how overused the aim assist is.
It's pretty much an auto-aim feature now.
Getting a tiny bit aim assist I can understand with a console shooter, but this is just ridiculous. One can easily camp on top of a skyscraper in Dawnbreaker and mow down player after player on the ground thanks to the auto aim.

I wish Dice had at least a tiny bit of confidence in their own game like Guerrilla does and minimise this "feature".
It's not like the game isn't extremely noob friendly as it is with all the lock-on crap and fire and forget hardware already. :-/

It's "DICE-balanced," because when you are close-quarters shooting at two people standing slightly apart, the reticle jumps between them and you don't kill either one!

I should really record some little bird footage on flood zone. Boa can attest, we've had some pretty wild games there.

Haven't at all bothered with the record feature on PS4. I should change that. Is it still capped at 15 minutes?

Yeah still capped at 15 but they now give you additional recording times including 1, 3, 5 and 10 mins now.

I had a ton of Flood Zone chopper footage I wanted to include but decided to cull a lot of it and save it for future videos so there wasn't too much of it in one video. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I should really record some little bird footage on flood zone. Boa can attest, we've had some pretty wild games there.

Haven't at all bothered with the record feature on PS4. I should change that. Is it still capped at 15 minutes?

Steam to twitch in private or something? That would archive more than 15 for PS4.

SeanR1221

Ok conquest is growing on me now.

I used to play it in a terrible way. I'd just randomly run from one flag to another. Now I treat each flag like a potential warzone and might stay at 2-3 flags the entire time (unless they're getting no action).

Kabuto

Kane that squad we were in was so good; they were actually calling out and helping us out :'] My skill went up like 100 points from the games we played.

I dunno if anyone else has had this problem with random input lag on PC but I turned off Geforce Experience in Task Manager and it hasn't happened all day.

Rush sucks on BF4.

Didn't play Rush at all on PS4 but decided to give it a proper crack on PC....man, has Rush always been this bad? I don't remember it being this bullshit back in BC2.

I loved Rush in BF3

In BF4 is sucks and not many servers even play it :(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I just had like an awesome four hour session with my friends. Jesus this game is fucking incredible with friends. No more issues yet either. The game runs smooth as butter for me.

zma1013

So I was just rudely awakened to the fact that Battlefield 4 on PC does not have functioning gamepad support... when I tried to play it, enter the options menu and couldn't exit unless I used the mouse. I said, "okay, well I guess I'm not going to get in the options that often anyway, just set them and leave them alone." Then not even 2 minutes into the singleplayer campaign and the dudes tell me to get equipment from a box, so I enter it and it doesn't respond at all to the controller. Have to use a mouse to do anything. What is this horse shit? Here I was all ready to do campaign on my big screen HDTV for the spectacle of it all and this bomb drops on my lap. I... I just don't understand it at all guys.

TheSeks

Playing a PC FPS title...

...With a controller...

zUBdFCI.png

At least they purposely broke it compared to BF3's "QTE" events that didn't even bother to show the 360 controller prompts for people using a controller in that.

zma1013

Playing a PC FPS title...

...With a controller...

zUBdFCI.png

At least they purposely broke it compared to BF3's "QTE" events that didn't even bother to show the 360 controller prompts for people using a controller in that.

I play with a mouse and keyboard for multiplayer but I want to play the singleplayer on my big screen TV from my couch. I don't currently have a setup where I can use a mouse and keyboard from my couch, and well, it's just much more simple and more comfortable to kick back with a controller and since it's singleplayer, I don't need the precision to kill the dumb scripted AI. Thanks for understanding though.

TheSeks

>>Words<<

Playing the single-player in general...

zUBdFCI.png

If you wanted a decent FPS with controller support for your big-screen, you should've went with Bioshock (I forget if that has controller support, maybe 2/Infinite) or something.

BF4's is only to be played
read: save-file fucked with
for the gun unlocks.

zma1013

I was kind of just in the mood for some dumb, micheal bay type action and I remembered I never played BF4 singleplayer.

terrible

Banned
I play pretty much every single player PC game with a controller on my TV when the game allows for it. Precision doesn't even matter against AI.

The controller controls were broken in BF3 so I'm not shocked that they don't work on BF4 either.

Wait, Seks is complaining about someone doing the exact same thing he did, just for different reasons? Get out of here! Next you'll tell me he's complaining about people not playing the objectives while he chases assignments.

terrible

Banned
I'd lump assignment chasers together with 40X scope mountain camping snipers in terms of overall usefulness. Neither are of much help usually. People paid money for the game just like me so they can play however they want though so there's not much I can do about it except whine when I lose because of them lol.

terrible

Banned
Sniping in general in this game is tough. I can't snipe worth a damn outside of 100M but within 100M you're dead if you miss! That is why I don't snipe unless it's TDM and even then it's rare.

TheSeks

I dream of being that good with a sniper. Unlocking guns in Recon is almost futile for me, I suck so bad.

Just use either of the one-hit snipers (Battlepickups) and aim at someone. If you're decent at aiming, you don't really need to aim for the head, so long as you hit ANY part of them, they die with the Battlepick ups. Do it on Sabotage in Floodzone, for instance and hit the rooftop snipers. Do it during 2XP with a boost and those kills WILL count toward the sniper tree unlocks.

I dream of being that good with a sniper. Unlocking guns in Recon is almost futile for me, I suck so bad.

Sniping in general in this game is tough. I can't snipe worth a damn outside of 100M but within 100M you're dead if you miss! That is why I don't snipe unless it's TDM and even then it's rare.

Just use either of the one-hit snipers (Battlepickups) and aim at someone. If you're decent at aiming, you don't really need to aim for the head, so long as you hit ANY part of them, they die with the Battlepick ups. Do it on Sabotage in Floodzone, for instance and hit the rooftop snipers. Do it during 2XP with a boost and those kills WILL count toward the sniper tree unlocks.

or just play Hardcore TDM/Domination with the 2XP+boosts as any DMR/Sniper is a one-hit-kill to the body. Rack up points and have fun!

TheSeks

DMR doesn't count toward snipers. The one-shot rifle doesn't need to be "aimed" like the normal snipers and you can area of denial pretty easy with it.

terrible

Banned
DMR doesn't count toward snipers. The one-shot rifle doesn't need to be "aimed" like the normal snipers and you can area of denial pretty easy with it.

Yep, the battle pickup snipers are the way to go if you want to easymode your sniper unlocks. If you can find a 24/7 Floodzone TDM server you'll have all your unlocks in no time but personally I haven't seen a server like that yet.

I haven't tried Sabo Floodzone but if that's a good alternative like you suggested look for that too.

Hey guys! Can someone teach me how to fly a jet and get some kills later this week on an empty server? I really want to get better at the game. Maybe Friday or Saturday of this week?

The battle pickups in TDM are hilariously overpowered, especially on Floodzone. This older clip of mine shows it best. Sorry about the awful quality.

I went 41-1 one round in that spot. 41 out of 100 kills in a full server. DICE
Then agin, TDM is about the only time you can use them properly. In a game of CQ there's too much ancillary stuff to worry about.

Speaking of the record feature, I swear pre-1.7 that when you told it to record it would do so until you told it to stop. But now the few times I've used it, it seems like it stops recording once the initial 15 minutes are up.

---

Got my first video edited and uploaded. Bear with me, so far I'm using iMovie, and I went purposely overboard with the effects and pushed the video out early, even though there's a few problems with it. I just wanted to get one under my belt.

http://youtu.be/YKJPoNa7kwY

Prodigal

Banned
Any of y'all ever had a problem with BF4 crashing on the first map you play? Every time I boot the game up, the first match crashes and works fine after that.

TheSeks

The FY-JS seems to be for headshot masters, or the server is completely fucking with me. Either/or.

I got like 4 more kills with it to get the bipod then I go back to my waifu the GOL.

true but i meant it as the same if you need DMR unlocks.

GOL Magnum or M40 are pretty great with a Holo sight in Hardcore Domination/TDM. It's all about the reload speed.

matmat271

Neo Member
I'm so shit with dmrs. They are snipers without the advantages of 1 headshot kills.

DMRs are not snipers. I use them and i found it very good but not for long distance. Use it for kill enemies at middle distance and spot enemies at long distance. Don't try to kill at long distance. DMRs have only a 4X zoom.

terrible

Banned
The FY-JS seems to be for headshot masters, or the server is completely fucking with me. Either/or.

I got like 4 more kills with it to get the bipod then I go back to my waifu the GOL.

The M40 is my nemesis. I never get hit by them and survive, it's always a headshot. I then use the gun and it's garbage. Whatever lol.

Recently bought this game for PS4... my first Battlefield game of any kind.

Any tips for beginners? Do I need to play through the Single Player to familiarize myself with the maps/weapons/controls? I usually would play the SP far more than the MP of any FPS, but I bought BF4 solely because the MP looked amazing.

Any videos with tips on how to play the game? I played a couple of games a few nights ago... it took ages for me to reach anywhere after respawning, and then I died pretty quickly as well.

For the record, I'm an average to bad player who just wants to have some fun, not looking to beast with a particular class/weapon or have an awesome K/D ratio. If I can help my team win, maybe score some kills and in the process have some fun, thats enough for me.

Any tips for beginners? Do I need to play through the Single Player to familiarize myself with the maps/weapons/controls? I usually would play the SP far more than the MP of any FPS, but I bought BF4 solely because the MP looked amazing.

The singleplayer in this one is actually pretty good as it lets you drive all sorts of vehicles and get to know a lot of the guns to see what you like.
Test Range in the multiplayer is also very good for trying out chopper controls without killing any teammates while practising :D

I dunno if there's any good places to learn tips and tricks, but mainly learn the class abilities and use them constantly, they are your most important things :D meaning healing, giving out ammo, repairing etc. join a Squad and respawn to their location and try to move together to capture objectives.

Play Conquest mode to get used to the big maps, vehicles and the basics of Battlefield as that is the main game mode most of us play.

The singleplayer in this one is actually pretty good as it lets you drive all sorts of vehicles and get to know a lot of the guns to see what you like.
Test Range in the multiplayer is also very good for trying out chopper controls without killing any teammates while practising :D

I dunno if there's any good places to learn tips and tricks, but mainly learn the class abilities and use them constantly, they are your most important things :D meaning healing, giving out ammo, repairing etc. join a Squad and respawn to their location and try to move together to capture objectives.

Play Conquest mode to get used to the big maps, vehicles and the basics of Battlefield as that is the main game mode most of us play.

Thanks, i'll definitely check out test range. Since gaming time is limited, might not play the SP. Will keep your advice in mind when playing, will probably play as the medic, hopefully I can help my squad some!

meppi

First and foremost, R1 is spotting. Use it as much as possible. In other words, push it every 2-5 seconds during every single match.
It also helps when you aim in the direction of an enemy when doing this, but you might get lucky and spot someone who is playing bushwookie, so do it even if you don't see anyone around.

You'll be surprised how much easier it is when you get a little help from your team as they know where the enemy is that's closing in on you.

Omni

I'd honestly just focus on playing as an Engineer when you're starting off. It's like a jack of all trades role and you'll get a better feel for the game using it over Assault, IMO.

Unless you plan on just playing infantry maps like Metro or Locker, of course.

First and foremost, R1 is spotting. Use it as much as possible. In other words, push it every 2-5 seconds during every single match.
It also helps when you aim in the direction of an enemy when doing this, but you might get lucky and spot someone who is playing bushwookie, so do it even if you don't see anyone around.

You'll be surprised how much easier it is when you get a little help from your team as they know where the enemy is that's closing in on you.

How does spotting work? If I spot someone, will only the rest of my squad be able to see the enemy, or my whole team? If so, that seems incredibly helpful and will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice!

I'd honestly just focus on playing as an Engineer when you're starting off. It's like a jack of all trades role and you'll get a better feel for the game using it over Assault, IMO.

Unless you plan on just playing infantry maps like Metro or Locker, of course.

Sounds good, Engineer class is a go. Also, i'm not too knowledgeable about the maps in BF4, though I guess i'll start recognizing them the more I play. I'm also more interested in large scale battles, so will probably play the conquest mode mostly.

Another tip which I found on a video is to always play the objective and not go trying to be Rambo or a lone wolf. Seems pretty good advice, I'm not interested in hanging out in obscure areas camping with a sniper rifle. That is not what makes this game fun, at least to me.

Basically I just want to help my team as much as possible in any way I can so they dont throw me out cuz I know i'm not going to be killing too many dudes. :lol

and join the Gaf Platoon so you can easily join gaffers in the same games: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/platoons/view/5497610660692586200/

Great idea. Will do so asap!

mitchman

Gold Member
How does spotting work? If I spot someone, will only the rest of my squad be able to see the enemy, or my whole team?
If so, that seems incredibly helpful and will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice!
The whole team seems them on their screen and mini map. Knowing where the enemy is can change the tide of a battle.

Sounds good, Engineer class is a go. Also, i'm not too knowledgeable about the maps in BF4, though I guess i'll start recognizing them the more I play. I'm also more interested in large scale battles, so will probably play the conquest mode mostly.
You'll learn the maps quickly enough. Make sure you're in a squad with as many people as possible, that makes it easier to spawn on someone else in it and easier to take objectives (if they are organized). Don't be hesitant to switch squad if the one you're in is not organized or work together.

Top Bottom