• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

So the latest PS3 patch has now brought me down to the people having issues before. Until now I never had any problems at all. Not a single crash, none of the rubber banding people were getting. The only thing I got was the wrong guy being highlighted as my killer, and sometimes no sound on the first time I spawn when I start up the game.

Now though, I get a hard crash every other game. Sometimes I just get stuck on a blank loading screen with the 'round finished' tune on repeat, rubber banding is minimal but enough to fuck me off, and I get headshotted about 90% of the time.

I honestly thought that people were exaggerating due to their beloved franchise having small issues now and then.

The whole team seems them on their screen and mini map. Knowing where the enemy is can change the tide of a battle.

That sounds almost like... cheating. How is this not game-breaking, with both sides knowing where the enemy is? Does it work well in practice, cuz in theory it sounds like it shouldnt work.

You'll learn the maps quickly enough. Make sure you're in a squad with as many people as possible, that makes it easier to spawn on someone else in it and easier to take objectives (if they are organized). Don't be hesitant to switch squad if the one you're in is not organized or work together.

Great advice. One more question please - How important is it to have a headset? In general, is the PS4 community sufficiently mic'd up for me to wear a mic while playing? The one time I played, I had put on the mic but no one in my squad talked, so I assumed they didnt have a mic. Is that the general scenario, or was my experience the exception?

-Amon-

Great advice. One more question please - How important is it to have a headset? In general, is the PS4 community sufficiently mic'd up for me to wear a mic while playing? The one time I played, I had put on the mic but no one in my squad talked, so I assumed they didnt have a mic. Is that the general scenario, or was my experience the exception?

In public games quite nobody uses it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That sounds almost like... cheating. How is this not game-breaking, with both sides knowing where the enemy is? Does it work well in practice, cuz in theory it sounds like it shouldnt work.

How about you... actually play the game... before making silly statements.

Battlefield has had spotting since the very first game

-Amon-

Just imagine that marking an enemy in game is the real life equivalent of communicating his presence and position to your squad via radio.

Consider that once the enemy is marked, if he moves outside of your field of view for enough time his position will become unknown again of course.

The only reason to not mark an enemy is when you are absolute sure that you will kill him in the next seconds, or when the act of marking him will lower your chance of killing him ( like an unexpected direct confrontation at short range ).

Think about this too: When you are fired at, you have probably been marked too. So your first move should be change position and break the line of sight with the enemy that is shooting at you, instead of trying to understand exactly where he is.

mitchman

Gold Member

You only stay on the map and screen (with a cursor) for a few seconds. If you fire your weapon without using a silencer, you will also show up on the mini map.

TheSeks

My god, do you even realize you always sound like a douche bag?

Yes.

Do I care?

No

You only stay on the map and screen (with a cursor) for a few seconds. If you fire your weapon without using a silencer, you will also show up on the mini map.

And if there is a commander with a UAV up. Or an MAV is up and smashing Q/whatever on consoles.

Basically: Don't worry about it. Though some people have issues with the "3D" spotting system than the spotting system in general.

You can only spot people for a few seconds and then they vanish.

in public games no-one uses headsets even though one came with the PS4. But do use the headset in GAF-games in Partychat.

-Amon-

I'm so shit with dmrs. They are snipers without the advantages of 1 headshot kills.

They have their uses... DMR equipped with 4x scope and cainted ironsights is a weapon that can outclass assault rifles at long ranges and at the same time give you some hopes at close range.

I find it useful when attacking in Rush, playing as a scout that tries to plant respawn points near objectives.

TheSeks

Such a cool guy.

#2Edgy4Me

They have their uses... DMR equipped with 4x scope and cainted ironsights is a weapon that can outclass assault rifles at long ranges and at the same time give you some hopes at close range.

I find it useful when attacking in Rush, playing as a scout that tries to plant respawn points near objectives.

Even in Rush having a Carbine over a DMR is useful, and I say this as someone that abused/used the SKS pre-"buff."

DMR's have their "uses" but the other guns outgun them because they took their main claim (semi-auto snipers) out from BF3->4 and now you kinda have to "spam" them to get kills.

-Amon-

#2Edgy4Me

Even in Rush having a Carbine over a DMR is useful, and I say this as someone that abused/used the SKS pre-"buff."

DMR's have their "uses" but the other guns outgun them because they took their main claim (semi-auto snipers) out from BF3->4 and now you kinda have to "spam" them to get kills.

I use the M39, and i find that at "Acog ranges" you are greatly at advantage over carbines. 3 hit kills without placing a headshot is enough. But has i said before you have to be in a certain situation ( rush, attack ) to be effective. I tend to move alone and spot from long range trying to remain undetected. This way i can avoid to be engaged at close range and mantain the range advantage, while moving in the position where i can place the radio beacon for my team.

Another thing i find useful with this kind of weapon is that you rarely have to worry about ammo. This is important considering the lone wolf approach.

TheSeks

When someone with an ACE can pin-point target you and nail you in two seconds flat while you have to pray your recoil/etc. is controlled with the DMRs, DICE did something wrong... is what I'm getting at. Are they "okay?" Sure. But as an "all-class" item? Why would you use them over the Carbines? Double-so when said Carbines can lay you out in seconds flat while recoil/etc. issues get in the way of DMR's being able to shine?

-Amon-

When someone with an ACE can pin-point target you and nail you in two seconds flat while you have to pray your recoil/etc. is controlled with the DMRs, DICE did something wrong... is what I'm getting at. Are they "okay?" Sure. But as an "all-class" item? Why would you use them over the Carbines? Double-so when said Carbines can lay you out in seconds flat while recoil/etc. issues get in the way of DMR's being able to shine?

Has i've already said, i feel at an advantage when engaging carbine people ( and assault rifle people too ) at acog ranges. It looks like your experience is different, but i can't of course say why :)

JJD

Have you guys noticed that lately there are more people playing support than assault? When I join a game I always look at the squad menu trying to choose a good squad and the lack of assault players is baffling. Not to mention that when you find a bunch of assault players they are always packing the noob tube instead of defibs.

Looking at my latest games report on Battlelog I was amazed that on all the Locker games on display the number of revives was staggering low.

I think DICE balanced the revive mechanic really well. It was just too overpowered on BF3 and BC2, but it seems people don't care about reviving anymore.

I think the combination of carbines as an all class weapon, and the rebalancing of the revive mechanic kinda killed the assault class.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Have you guys noticed that lately there are more people playing support than assault? When I join a game I always look at the squad menu trying to choose a good squad and the lack of assault players is baffling. Not to mention that when you find a bunch of assault players they are always packing the noob tube instead of defibs.

Looking at my latest games report on Battlelog I was amazed that on all the Locker games on display the number of revives was staggering low.

I think DICE balanced the revive mechanic really well. It was just too overpowered on BF3 and BC2, but it seems people don't care about reviving anymore.

I think the combination of carbines as an all class weapon, and the rebalancing of the revive mechanic kinda killed the assault class.
I agree 100%. I think the fact that there are so many large maps where having anything anti vehicle is required. Only time you see a "medic" is with very organized squads.

I really hate the carbines being available to all classes. I feel like it threw a lot of things off.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man the Squad Join thing is so weird
It only works on some maps, i would love to know more about their server backend.
But in theory it could be the best implementation yet on a BF game.

Hopefully ill get my interweb back in a week or so.

scogoth

AWS is that good

There's no reason to be assault when you're defenseless to vehicles and the revive mechanic has been nerfed to hell. I also have to say as someone going from 24 to 64 players, its much harder to get successful or safe revives. There's always one more person coming around the corner.

Edit: hopefully if the next DLC is more infantry focused we'll see a little bit more medics.

-Amon-

There's no reason to be assault when you're defenseless to vehicles and the revive mechanic has been nerfed to hell. I also have to say as someone going from 24 to 64 players, its much harder to get successful or safe revives. There's always one more person coming around the corner.

Edit: hopefully if the next DLC is more infantry focused we'll see a little bit more medics.

Well if you stick to your squad medic bags on the ground are a good thing to have around during and after a firefight.

i've played the medic class almost 90% of the time since Battlefield 2. And in BF4 i...do tend to go with just support. So many choices with the weapons from great LMG's to Carbines and Shotguns. Getting those freebies with the ammobox and having C4 to deal with vehicles is just too good of a package.

I only play medic if my partychat buddies request me to do so or i want to unlock some assault rifles...sorry.

-Amon-

We're talking about revives specifically though.

No, look back, we were discussing about the recent scarcity of the assault class. I simply gave a reason to play assault ( medic bags ) without talking of the nerfing of the refib ( which remains handy, expecially when moving with a full squad, since on public servers you often meet lone wolves / couple of players ). In this scenario you tipically win the encounter and preserve the number of your squad reviving the fallen when the firefight ends, however.

In rush it's a must for me.

No, look back, we were discussing about the recent scarcity of the assault class.
JJDs post about assault centers on the lack of revives on locker and the nerfing of the mechanic.

I always favored medic in BF3, but the nerf to their main ability combined with the new scope of the maps and the prevalence of vehicles is too much. I play engineer because its a must, and I hate that, so when I'm not engineer ill often be support since I can have C4 as a just-in-case.

DMRs reward people who can aim. TheSeks can't aim. Probably because he spends all his time in being a tool in here. Check his stats before you take anything he says seriously.

-Amon-

JJDs post about assault centers on the lack of revives on locker and the nerfing of the mechanic.

I always favored medic in BF3, but the nerf to their main ability combined with the new scope of the maps and the prevalence of vehicles is too much. I play engineer because its a must, and I hate that, so when I'm not engineer ill often be support since I can have C4 as a just-in-case.

I find it handy for the reasons i just explained, maybe it depends on the game mode you spend most of the time on ?

I play 70 % rush 30 % conquest 64 players.

I find it handy for the reasons i just explained, maybe it depends on the game mode you spend most of the time on ?

I play 70 % rush 30 % conquest 64 players.
Oh I agree with you in that regard. But this is where I point out rush has half the players and even less vehicles. That automatically makes assault much more viable.

TheSeks

Has i've already said, i feel at an advantage when engaging carbine people ( and assault rifle people too ) at acog ranges. It looks like your experience is different, but i can't of course say why :)

Maybe the buff fixed the SKS recoil. All I know is that in one-on-one encounters you have to "spray" the DMR really quickly and half the time the hit registration wouldn't factor in (probably to tickrate) to make the DMR's worthless.

It's certainly not a "LOL U SUCK" situation that you're implying since I had the SKS at 500 kills before the DMR "buff." So really, I was willing to work with it's disadvantages, but I got tired of the shitty hit-registration to where I don't bother with them.

Scogoth said:
AWS is that good

It was GDLK post-nerf. Holy god, when I can go 20HP for five minutes and STILL nail 5+ people in groups in seconds flat as they're coming at me, you know that thing is gonna be tweaked.

It's a shame everyone is using it now, but I can't blame them: High damage, very little (outside of side-to-side) recoil, fast fire-rate. DICE really doesn't get balance at times.

TheSeks

Honestly, the "balance" on assaults isn't the issue. It (like the DMR) is the shitty hit registration. Charging the paddles is a decent idea, but if I charge once to 100HP and fire at someone and the server's position for that body is different ("hit registration") it's basically a "Why bother?" option.

I still revive like a freight train is the coast is clear and try to do it as often as I can, but the body displacement annoyance makes it more annoying than the "ammo"/balance changes.

Assault is my least played class. Any lower and Commander would be ahead in time played. Dat 'DICE balance' on revives made people jump ship.
They could change the points earned overnight and you'd only see a small uptick in medic use in the long run. Trying to revive people in this game is the definition of pissing in the wind.

-Amon-

It's certainly not a "LOL U SUCK" situation that you're implying since I had the SKS at 500 kills before the DMR "buff." So really, I was willing to work with it's disadvantages, but I got tired of the shitty hit-registration to where I don't bother with them..

I was implying absolutely nothing. Just curious.

Overdoziz

Banned
DMRs reward people who can aim. TheSeks can't aim. Probably because he spends all his time in being a tool in here. Check his stats before you take anything he says seriously.
breaddog.png

Top Bottom