• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i just do a quick revive and drop a medbag

full revive takes too long

Yeah, but even then it's wonky.

Even their "fix" of E/whatever on consoles to automatically pull them out and revive doesn't even work. DICE™

It's really the "body says it's here on my side, but the server says different"/hit-detection that is the MAJOR issue with the nerfs. In previous titles you could simply spam them once or twice if they didn't pick up because of the server saying different. Now, if it fails the first time, you wasted an "ammo" revive on someone you can't revive, so you might as well move to the next person instead of quickly trying again. It's stupid.

This community reminds me of Halo community when it was good.

All the bitchin, I love it.

Meanwhile, I simply ignore them. :) Stay mad, peasants.

I was implying absolutely nothing. Just curious.

Well, theoretically, they're supposed to win against Carbines in mid-long range since they're "marksmen rifles."

In practice/in game, however, they don't. A carbine can spray 5 bullets in a burst, reset and fire a burst again in mid-long ranges and beat out the DMR. Again: ACE beats a DMR at mid-range. Why pick it?

Now, you're gonna go "well in close range it takes three bullets" and I'd say "and the recoil on the DMR even bang-on makes it iffy because the hit-detection is shit." SKS, again: GDLK in BF3, able to hip-fire the sucker in close-quarters with no issues. Now, damn near impossible to get "hit markers" in hip OR close-range because the tickrate fucks over bang-on shots.

I haven't used it much post-"buff" outside of finishing the SKS/Russia assignment, but it didn't seem to improve the "hit-detection" and even ignoring that: Carbine has a faster rate of fire in "holding the trigger down" versus "pulling the trigger as fast as you can" in close-quarters to where it'll win against it.

So, for the sake of discussion: Why would you (even in "ACOG" range) pick a DMR over the Carbines. The A-91, the ACE, and numerous other carbines will shit all over the DMR's at nearly all ranges.

Maybe if DICE still had bullet drop like they did Kharg's first set beach to where said Carbines (which were engineer only) had bullet drop, it'd be a factor, but I haven't really ran into "range where bullet drop factors in" with the carbines. They're nearly the same as they were in BC2 where you could snipe across the entire map with them. Just not as extreme.

Some of the DMR's still suck, and a few can be considered decent, but If you can aim then you'll find other weapons drop people alot faster than the DMR's for most ranges,and the difference is pretty blatant when compared to some of the DMR's. You're talking about weapons that kill in 3 bullets at all ranges compared to most other rifles that kill with in only 1-2 more bullets, but have a fire rate that's 2.5-3x higher and are considerably more forgiving. The DMR's are good weapons to use at long range( well only some of them, a few DMR's take to long to settle between shots to even be decent then), but at other ranges they are mostly inferior to most fully automatic guns, and even at long range it's probably favorable to just take a sniper rifle instead. DMR's just struggle to fill a niche in this game imo.

All the DMRs except the SKS beat carbines at distances greater than 50m or so, provided that the operator can aim.

I realize this is hard for you to grasp, TheSeks. Trust me on this one. I'm better than you.

Acorn

All the DMRs except the SKS beat carbines at distances greater than 50m or so, provided that the operator can aim.

I realize this is hard for you to grasp, TheSeks. Trust me on this one. I'm better than you.
If you can aim you are better off with a sniper then. I agree with computers, it fills a niche that doesn't exist.

VariantX

If you can aim you are better off with a sniper then. I agree with computers, it fills a niche that doesn't exist.

Pretty much. Why use 3 shots when you could do it in one?? It seems like no matter what situation you're in, there always seems to be a better weapon to use than a DMR.

terrible

Banned
I'm definitely on the "DMRs don't excel in any one area enough to make them worth using" bandwagon. The only point in using them is to annoy the other team.

I can burst fire at mid range with a carbine (ACE 52 for example) and pull off equal or higher DPS without any of the close quarters limitations of a DMR.

Medic for life. Even with the nerfed revives, I still find myself reviving quite a bit and being revived in some clutch situations. I will always roll with my medic bag and defibrillators.

terrible

Banned
I always run out of ammo when I'm a class other than Support. The curse of not dying much I guess. Even with half the team playing as Support I still never get any ammo from them lol.

I'm definitely on the "DMRs don't excel in any one area enough to make them worth using" bandwagon. The only point in using them is to annoy the other team.

I can burst fire at mid range with a carbine (ACE 52 for example) and pull off equal or higher DPS without any of the close quarters limitations of a DMR.

Yeah, I agree too. The biggest problem that I have with these DMRs is the noise they make. It truly is one of the most annoying sounds in the game. Not exactly an issue for the person using it, but it's one of the main reasons why I never consider using those weapons.

Anyone using DMRs should have to keep listening to this while using one. *shudder*

DMRs get beat at short range by automatics and shotguns and at extreme long range by bolt guns. At midrange, which I'd call anything from 50-350yds, DMRs win more often than not. You can reliably kill five or six enemies on one mag while playing any class.

That's not a niche, that's the majority of objective play in BF4.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, I agree too. The biggest problem that I have with these DMRs is the noise they make. It truly is one of the most annoying sounds in the game. Not exactly an issue for the person using it, but it's one of the main reasons why I never consider using those weapons.

Anyone using DMRs should have to keep listening to this while using one. *shudder*

Really? That's the biggest issue? Not the fact that the role they're designed for is basically pointless when the Carbines shit all over them?

Jesus Christ, I want my SKS that was GDLK in BF3 back. The SKS is good in BF4 but it's TERRIBLE when other all-kit items beat it in all-ranges, it doesn't have a headshot multipler, AND can't CQC at all (neither can the other DMR's like the M39 which was a DECENT US "clone" to the SKS)

Speaking of the M39: Jesus what did they do with that one's iron-sights?
C0XOhlp.png
Gonna have to see what the scope options are for that, as I doubt the default BF3 scope for it is in BF4 when I get around to using the Chinese and US (M39) DMRs to headshot for the respective assignments. Oy.

Some of the DMR's still suck, and a few can be considered decent, but If you can aim then you'll find other weapons drop people alot faster than the DMR's for most ranges,and the difference is pretty blatant when compared to some of the DMR's. You're talking about weapons that kill in 3 bullets at all ranges compared to most other rifles that kill with in only 1-2 more bullets, but have a fire rate that's 2.5-3x higher and are considerably more forgiving. The DMR's are good weapons to use at long range( well only some of them, a few DMR's take to long to settle between shots to even be decent then), but at other ranges they are mostly inferior to most fully automatic guns, and even at long range it's probably favorable to just take a sniper rifle instead. DMR's just struggle to fill a niche in this game imo.

What is these "most ranges?" The majority of fight-fight situations are gonna be 0-150 meters. Mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybe 250-300 meters depending on the objective placement between you and the other objectives.

The majority of maps aren't built for long-range (250 or more) sniping, and even then I haven't noticed ANY bullet drop on Carbines or other guns in said 250 meter engagements.

Maybe longer ranges, but at the point you'd be better off using a sniper with a 6/7/8x with a 14x variable if that.

DMRs get beat at short range by automatics and shotguns and at extreme long range by bolt guns. At midrange, which I'd call anything from 50-350yds, DMRs win more often than not. You can reliably kill five or six enemies on one mag while playing any class.

lol. long range for me is like 200m :D

terrible

Banned

In terms of time to kill I think only the EMR and QBU
barely
beat out the Ace 52 at mid range, and that's assuming you're firing at their RPM caps and landing every shot which is an unrealistic expectation due to how the game punishes spamming with decreased accuracy.

You can much more reliably kill someone at mid range with the Ace 52. There's really no benefit to using the DMRs over the Ace 52 unless you have trouble bursting with the Ace 52.

Acorn

Burst firing a carbine gets the job done easier and quicker without waiting for the screen to settle after every single bullet.

Is this game fixed for pc or not? Haven't played it for months, which is sad because I really wanted to play. When it worked it was great...

Odrion

Banned
The thing about bolt action rifles is that they stink and firing a bullet every hour isn't that helpful for your team. Check the scoreboard whenever you get sniped by someone a mile away and see how effective that role really is.

I always run out of ammo when I'm a class other than Support. The curse of not dying much I guess. Even with half the team playing as Support I still never get any ammo from them lol.
Same. I wish the ammo perk was first in the offensive perk tree so we would at least have some more ammo to start with.

-Amon-

Pretty much. Why use 3 shots when you could do it in one?? It seems like no matter what situation you're in, there always seems to be a better weapon to use than a DMR.

Because with a DMR you can at least do something at medium short distances with canted ironsight, with a bolt action sniper rifle you have to switch to secondary.

Burst firing a carbine gets the job done easier and quicker without waiting for the screen to settle after every single bullet.

In terms of time to kill I think only the EMR and QBU
barely
beat out the Ace 52 at mid range, and that's assuming you're firing at their RPM caps and landing every shot which is an unrealistic expectation due to how the game punishes spamming with decreased accuracy.

You can much more reliably kill someone at mid range with the Ace 52. There's really no benefit to using the DMRs over the Ace 52 unless you have trouble bursting with the Ace 52.

At fewer than 50 yds, probably. At fewer than 100 yds, maybe. Beyond that the ACE52 doesn't have the accuracy. I'll record some DMR footage in the next day or so. You guys do the same. I really want to see you killing people with carbines past 100 yds.

The way they handled the PDWs and carbines is a joke in this game. There is no reason at all to use a PDW outside of Dom/TDM because they all lack power at range. I only use the SR-2 because its decent and I am tired of using the AK-5C. I want to see a powerful PDW that makes the class worth using, something like the KRISS Vector. Low recoil, very high ROF (1200rpm), high damage (fires .45 APC), and long range.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I should get my internet tomorrow. GET HYPE!

terrible

Banned
At fewer than 50 yds, probably. At fewer than 100 yds, maybe. Beyond that the ACE52 doesn't have the accuracy. I'll record some DMR footage in the next day or so. You guys do the same. I really want to see you killing people with carbines past 100 yds.

100M+ is surprisingly far. When I say mid range I mean ~50-100M. Anything past that is long range to me and entering bolt sniper rifle territory in terms of what is king when in the right hands.

That my motivation as well. I think Dawn of Life does it for the same reason.

The way they handled the PDWs and carbines is a joke in this game. There is no reason at all to use a PDW outside of Dom/TDM because they all lack power at range. I only use the SR-2 because its decent and I am tired of using the AK-5C. I want to see a powerful PDW that makes the class worth using, something like the KRISS Vector. Low recoil, very high ROF (1200rpm), high damage (fires .45 APC), and long range.

So, to be clear, you want a gun that's better than all the other guns.

Edit: Automatic Colt Pistol, not Armored Personnel Carrier

scogoth

I want a PDW that is good both in close quarters and at range. One that would be worth using over the AK-5C in large game modes.

So a gun that is the best in all tactical situations thus making all other weapon choices stupid. BF is about trade offs, not a single OP gun. Well other than the M60 in BC2

VariantX

I want a PDW that is good both in close quarters and at range. One that would be worth using over the AK-5C in large game modes.

PDW's do what they're supposed to do. They're god-like when it comes to close quarters combat, and with a silencer, I can take down 3,4 or even 5 (depending on magazine size) people in the same clip. What you're asking for is a weapon that would make about 3 out of the 6 primary weapon categories pointless.

Tubie

The closest to that you will ever get is the PDW-R but you are better off with some Carbines instead of that.

KRISS Vector will never make it into the game as it is in real life, they would have to change it a lot in order for it to be balanced.

Low recoil, very high ROF (1200rpm), high damage (fires .45 APC), and long range

Nobody would have any reason to play anything but engineer.

Why give the Engineer, a class not suited for close quarters at all, a close quarters suited weapon class? I just think it is stupid that the Engineer doesn't have any class specific weapons suitable for medium-long range engagements. It isn't a good sign when everyone uses the same group of a handful of weapons. The AK-5C is everywhere, if the Engineer had a good, versatile weapon it would cut down on its usage.

Why give the Engineer, a class not suited for close quarters at all, a close quarters suited weapon class? I just think it is stupid that the Engineer doesn't have any class specific weapons suitable for medium-long range engagements. It isn't a good sign when everyone uses the same group of a handful of weapons. The AK-5C is everywhere, if the Engineer had a good, versatile weapon it would cut down on its usage.

BF3 engy whoring.

I'm guilty.

terrible

Banned

Engineers were basically stuck with shotguns minus the MP7 in BF2. They have a history of being a close quarters class in this series.

zma1013

I think the original thinking for the Engineer class was that it was supposed to be weak at fighting infantry because it had armor killing abilities. However that all changed in BF3 and BF4 when they gave them carbines that are nearly as good as the assault rifles. There just isn't a drastic difference between their infantry killing abilities anymore.

As for the best class specific weapon they have, I think that goes to the PDW-R. It can do everything pretty well.

terrible

Banned
I personally liked how they were in BF3.

I like that every class can be competitive with carbines now to be honest, though in some ways it seems to have made Engineers more common than usual which has kind of thrown off vehicle balance a bit (ie stingers and tank mines/slams being everywhere).

I like that every class can be competitive with carbines now to be honest, though in some ways it seems to have made Engineers more common than usual which has kind of thrown off vehicle balance a bit (ie stingers and tank mines/slams being everywhere).

It's very rare to find helos that don't have an engie repairing it... However repairing tanks has happened less (from my personal experiences). Fucking weird...

Trouble

Banned
It's very rare to find helos that don't have an engie repairing it... However repairing tanks has happened less (from my personal experiences). Fucking weird...

My experience has been that repairing a tank is a great way to get killed. I still do it when I'm playing engie, though.

My experience has been that repairing a tank is a great way to get killed. I still do it when I'm playing engie, though.

I remember how useful it was in BF3, even if you may die. In this game... it's not really worth it. Feels different for some reason.

scogoth

Umm an engineer is an anti vehicle class. That's there medium-long range engagement. The carbine/PDWs are to make sure they don't get ganked when someone gets close to them. If you want medium-long infantry engagement thats what assault and support are for. The whole point of classes is that they have strengths and weakness, med-long infantry is engineers' weakness.

Top Bottom