• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AK 5C is the Swedish version of the FN FNC assault rifle. There's no doubt that quite a few DICE employees used it in the army, hence it's good performance.

Learn something new everyday. Thought the AK-5C was an AK line.

But let's be real: AK-12 doesn't hold a candle to the classic/AK-47.

The 74M, meanwhile did. I was a bit disappointed the 74M in BF3 wasn't the 47 until I started to use it then it was just a "modern" AK-47.

i'm trying but the M60 is still my go-to-gun on most situations, love the heavy bullet damage. Especially indoors.

I haven't touched the M60 since BC2. It's all about the MG3/AWS and RPK. :p

TheSeks

Son you need to ditch those flimsy drum fed guns and git sum powah

I Believe In Belt Fed

Do you even lift?

I lift everyday, son. Just not the same feeling from BC2.

(M249 over the M60 if I was going that way. But I ain't)

mitchman

Gold Member
Learn something new everyday. Thought the AK-5C was an AK line.

But let's be real: AK-12 doesn't hold a candle to the classic/AK-47.

AK-47 uses the 7.62mm cartridge while the variant of the AK-12 used in BF4 uses a 5.56×45mm (it appears from the damage model). Not really comparable. The AK-47 kicks like a mule in real life.

URGE TO KILL RISING

This skill stat boggles my frigging mind.

Last match of the night last night:

29-9 (3.22 K/D)
18% accuracy
415 SPM
8 flags capped
ACE Squad
MVP of the round with a score of 10,460
-4 skill

WTF DICE!?

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
URGE TO KILL RISING

29-9 (3.22 K/D)
18% accuracy
415 SPM
8 flags capped
ACE Squad
-4 skill

WTF DICE!?
You forget the skill deduction that automatically is added to all Bills fans.

terrible

Banned
SPM having anything to do with skill whatsoever is so flawed. 8 caps and a 3+ K/D w/ 29 kills should never result in negative skill unless you're playing against the worst players ever.

Here's my guess: It was a very long match that went down to the wire. That will inflate your kills, caps, and overall score.

I'm not saying that's not a great game, because it is. But those numbers don't jive with the SPM. Link to the game if you can, man.

Edit: Unless its DOM, in which case flag caps are easy.

Edit 2: Also, it depends on where your skill is already. It fluctuates like a bastard.

matmat271

Neo Member
URGE TO KILL RISING

29-9 (3.22 K/D)
18% accuracy
415 SPM
8 flags capped
ACE Squad
-4 skill

WTF DICE!?

An exemple on a conquest match :
4-18 (0.39)
12%
487SPM

+4 skill

why ? Because I marked enemies many times, I destroyed 2 vehicules, I repaired many véhicules, I captured 2 flags and I won the match.

I think the ratio K/D is not the only thing important for the score skill.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

terrible

Banned
Score just isn't a good indication of how well you did really, at least not consistently. I can have amazing rounds where I don't score particularly high and then bad rounds where I do. It all depends on what random ribbons you happen to hit during a match and such.

I don't think anyone really takes skill seriously though so it doesn't matter. It only exists so you can look at a game you dominated in and then go "what the hell?!" when you see you got -3 skill.

Edit: Unless its DOM, in which case flag caps are easy.

Domination ruins my skill when I play it. I die a ton more than usual because of the spawns and I guess that's enough to ruin it.

TheSeks

Skill is pointless. Don't worry about the Skill stat. It's always been pointless.

I think they finally changed it from the "kill a higher skilled player = skill up. Die to a lower skilled player = skill down" system though.

Domination ruins my skill when I play it. I die a ton more than usual because of the spawns and I guess that's enough to ruin it.

That's definitely true for the specific game type. But I do find whenever I switch game types I get murdered a lot until I get into the new flow of spawns, lines of attack, etc.

Dom in Naval Strike feels a lot less span campy, mostly because the maps are bigger. On vanilla every spawn is a game of russian roulette.

Ok, heres' the problem with caring abut the skill stat: It's far too volatile. I think its a rolling average of some equation (I think Symthic has it) so if you replace a great game with a very good game, your skill still goes down.

jd9iSnA.png

Erban1

Speaking of skill what is everyone's current skill? I've been hovering around 250, right now it's 254 and rising. I put down my ace 53 sv and have been having some great games with the acw-r.

u7UEJ4w.jpg

Ok, heres' the problem with caring abut the skill stat: It's far too volatile. I think its a rolling average of some equation (I think Symthic has it) so if you replace a great game with a very good game, your skill still goes down.

jd9iSnA.png

That's not how science works, Dakar. If you were playing the exact same people in the same maps and modes and could say that none of you suffered from fluctuations in performance, that graph would support your argument.

But let's be honest here.

That's not how science works, Dakar. If you were playing the exact same people in the same maps and modes and could say that none of you suffered from fluctuations in performance, that graph would support your argument.
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. Isn't the idea of the skill stat to work across game modes as something to make the guy who plays TDM vs. CQ comparable?

But let's be honest here.
Yes, lost, I'm intentionally lying. What the hell are you talking about?

Ocho

You also gain skill points easier if you have a low skill rating. Which is why some guy won points and the other lost with similar stats.

I need to end with a 10+ kdr/800+ SPM to gain 10+ points right now.

Dr Prob

Banned
I think they finally changed it from the "kill a higher skilled player = skill up. Die to a lower skilled player = skill down" system though.

They didn't finally change anything. Stop doing that thing where you just post nonsense; the skill # is what it is. Dumb. It's dumb if you play all the time, even worse if you don't play for a month and come back forgetting the buttons. How do I horn? Who gives a shit? It was never "kill a higher skilled player = skill up. Die to a lower skilled player = skill down," though.

jd9iSnA.png

For reference, here are my K/D, W/L, and SPM over the same time period. Not exactly volatile (though they fluctuate).

vklzV91.png

I see some inclines and declines that match W/L at the beginning but that's about it.

TheSeks

They didn't finally change anything. Stop doing that thing where you just post nonsense; the skill # is what it is. Dumb. It's dumb if you play all the time, even worse if you don't play for a month and come back forgetting the buttons. How do I horn? Who gives a shit? It was never "kill a higher skilled player = skill up. Die to a lower skilled player = skill down," though.

In Bad Company 2: Yes it was.

In BF3: Murky, AFAIR it was.

BF4 changed the variables, but it's still a pointless metric since the whole "skill" thing is "if you're playing well, you're ranked down. If you're playing like shit, you're ranked up" it's got no "metric" to gauge on. I really dunno why DICE bothers with it.

Before the BF4 change the "skill" stat was a hidden metric of KDR/WLR/SPM AFAIK and they based it on a 1-200 scale. Once you reached the "soft level cap" (or "hard level cap" in BC1's case) the skill stat would appear on login for "YOUR SKILL HAS GONE UP/DOWN" messages). Killing higher skilled players (above your skill level) would raise the skill level while dying to lower-skilled players would lower it.

Then BF4 changed it to be the same KDR/WLD/SPM factors with some other variables or bullshit but it isn't consistent, just like it wasn't in BC1/2/BF3. The only thing they removed was the "kill by higher/lower ranked" people because it made no sense.

You forget the skill deduction that automatically is added to all Bills fans.

I thought that only applied to real life not video games too <sadface>.

Here's my guess: It was a very long match that went down to the wire. That will inflate your kills, caps, and overall score.

Was a 30 minute conquest match on dragon pass and we won with 222 tickets left.

Glad the consensus seems to be that skill is a junk stat. I will try to start ignoring it.

My peak skill rating was 420 (omg, so blunt!) and right now it's at 406.

And here's my top weapons:

9kpTbui.jpg

Always looking for people to play with on XB1 as I almost always solo.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
jd9iSnA.png

For reference, here are my K/D, W/L, and SPM over the same time period. Not exactly volatile (though they fluctuate).

vklzV91.png

I see some inclines and declines that match W/L at the beginning but that's about it.
I've also noticed that I am more likely to loose skill if we loose the round. I agree with Prob , discussing the god damn kill stat it dumb and pointless.

I think this whole thing relates more to the fact that the game has been out seven months and we don't have anything left to talk about. When's dragon's teeth?

Dr Prob

Banned
It's not a debate. What would the winner get?

Skill in BF4 is sketchy and shouldn't be the top stat. I feel like we probably agree on this.

But it's not a change. Nothing skill related has changed in BF4. It's not a debate. Now we hug and you go on and make up some different shit. Don't leave me with my arms out.

TheSeks

I've also noticed that I am more likely to loose skill if we loose the round.

Doesn't really matter about the round. From what has been observed it is based on a "average" of your rounds. If you're doing better, you get +1 or whatever the metric is basing itself on. If you're doing worse or below your average it loses skill.

Winning/Losing just factors in in regards to "how you're doing with your team" you could be carrying a team on your back and get +3 skill in the report but still lose the round while someone on a winning team would be -4 because they weren't contributing above their average or whatever. It's confirmation bias in that regard.

Again though: It's inconsistent and completely pointless to notice. This is the same game where playing commander and being top of the leader-board in score because people followed orders, used your resupplies, UAV, cruise, etc. would give you a -4 skill EVERY. ROUND. until they finally patched it to where Commander doesn't factor into the Skill ranking.

TheSeks

In other news: CTE is getting a patch later today to tweak some of the testing. Hopefully it fixes some of the issues that client/testing environment is having.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. ...What the hell are you talking about?

You're a human player. Your performance varies over time. If anything, that graph validates the SPM metric.

Your point was that the metric varied too much. My point is that so does your (and everyone else's) performance.

You're a human player. Your performance varies over time. If anything, that graph validates the SPM metric.

Your point was that the metric varied too much. My point is that so does your (and everyone else's) performance.
I wasn't claiming my stats didn't vary, I was claiming that none of them vary with the degree of volatility that would match the Skill stat.

My SPM has clear peaks and valleys. It'd also probably be even more flat (like my k/d) if it weren't for double xp padding the hell out of it. My real SPM is probably between around 450-550.

-Amon-

URGE TO KILL RISING

29-9 (3.22 K/D)
18% accuracy
415 SPM
8 flags capped
ACE Squad
-4 skill

WTF DICE!?

The skill stat has no sense at all in my opinion. When the game came out i used to check it after matches i thought i did expecially well or expecially bad and the results where not what i expected.

In my opinion they should drop all stats in this game because none of them is an indicator about how you did well or bad in winning the match.

Trouble

Banned
I've gotten a couple of randomly awarded gold battlepacks that weren't for leveling. Not sure what they were for. Conquest service stars maybe?

Wait did they pull ALL official servers? Because as far as I can tell there's almost no domination servers, and quick match just throws me in to empty games.

Schlep

Since the last patch, it seems like the game is even more interested in dropping me right in front of an enemy gun while spawning 'randomly'. Annoying.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait did they pull ALL official servers? Because as far as I can tell there's almost no domination servers, and quick match just throws me in to empty games.
I havent been able to find Obliteration Matches for the DLC packs.

Quick question:

Are service stars rewarded with battlepacks or is it still broken?
Whats funny of this, is that it got disabled in the same week it went live.

Tubie

I hate that almost every time I try to do Second Assault maps I get put in a 24/7 metro server. Not as common for BF4 maps but it also happens with Op Locker 24/7s. I don't hate those maps but I like doing full map rotations without jumping servers.

JJD

I thought that only applied to real life not video games too <sadface>.

Was a 30 minute conquest match on dragon pass and we won with 222 tickets left.

Glad the consensus seems to be that skill is a junk stat. I will try to start ignoring it.

My peak skill rating was 420 (omg, so blunt!) and right now it's at 406.

And here's my top weapons:

9kpTbui.jpg

Always looking for people to play with on XB1 as I almost always solo.

The RPK 12 is the LMG that came with second assault?

If it is, why are you using it? It's one of the worst guns in the game!

Top Bottom