• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

meppi

Yeah man, I'm in the same boat as Mitch and haven't had a rubberbanding server in weeks. Is there the occasional lag spike? Sure, but nothing I wouldn't expect from any online multiplayer game.

Quickly threw this together from footage from just tonight.
Quite a few problems with the game still, not the least being the stupid amount of aim assist giving free headshots to LMG spammers.

But for a good example of rubber banding, watch the boat section, even though it was only moderately tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ON_OlygzjU

ehrmahgerd, the rubberbanding is back :E all matches on different servers start to deteriorate with time, especially expansion maps.

Yep, goes from an inconvenience to simply unplayable at times. Was pretty decent for about a week or two at most and then it was all just downhill again.

Kabuto

Whats long range for you? 100m+ it takes me one whole clip to kill... I use a suppressor though. 529 kills with it, 101 headshot.

You're right; 50-100M is the sweet spot for the M4. Greater than that and it takes too many shots to kill. Even though the damage is only 15.4 at long range, the gun is so accurate that I still hit most of my shots and that is its biggest advantage over other guns.

Ponylion capture the flag.
this guy is incredible

http://youtu.be/Bp0XuhC4oJQ

Just saying, ponylion is doing this on his own servers with viewers not public ones.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay, so I started playing this game in the past month and I'm pretty much obsessed, it's awesome. But is it just me or is it almost impossible to pick up special weapons? I pick them up but then drop them again and again, it's infuriating. So now I just keep holding triangle until I use them up.

Mully

Okay, so I started playing this game in the past month and I'm pretty much obsessed, it's awesome. But is it just me or is it almost impossible to pick up special weapons? I pick them up but then drop them again and again, it's infuriating. So now I just keep holding triangle until I use them up.

What's your PSN Snuggy?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Apparently Battlepickups are bugged on consoles (or just PS4?) on PC they work fine.

Anyway, going back to BF2 to try commander out it's amazing what a night and day difference commander has. Both in terms of "real-time" feedback in the EXTREME CLOSEUP CAM.jpg of the battle (you can see the infantry and vehicles moving around in real time), but also in the abilities being used. You are also a foot soldier in the battle, which I know DICE didn't want for the sake of mobile/smart-glass intergration for people but also had a tactical "oh shit I gotta stay alive" element. Throw in the fact you can take the abilities of resupplies, artillery/"Cruise Missile," and UAV's out and it's just crazy that these are put on flags in Conquest and certain (not specified) crates for Sabotage. Why wouldn't you give the players side-objectives to destroy/return to battle like that for players? Oy.

You are also a foot soldier in the battle, which I know DICE didn't want for the sake of mobile/smart-glass intergration for people but also had a tactical "oh shit I gotta stay alive" element.

I hate that commanders are invulnerable. I don't think they should be on the battlefield, but I would love to see a station on the map that you could destroy and enemy commanders would have to respawn; the station could respawn elsewhere, too. I'd like to see the role be randomly assigned to players, upon the previous commander's station being destroyed. As it is, you have to hope someone outside the game roster is interested in commanding; you can't even choose the role from inside the match.

VariantX

The problem with commander mode is that it is fucking boring.

Yep. Its mostly UAV, Counter UAV, with the occasional use of the supply drop and calling in a gunship. Its mostly just waiting for bars to fill up so you can click on an icon every few seconds.

rafaelr

try pressing/holding the pick-up btn and then press the knife btn (while still holding the pickup btn). works pretty much perfectly for me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont want to be a Debbie Downer but the Physics Bugs should be fixed, they break the game flow and rules.

I remember seeing those in BFBC2 and BF3 so i guess its a 'design decission' to let them be.

TheSeks

The problem with commander mode is that it is fucking boring.

No the problem with commander is it has no place. Support actions take a while, compared to BF2s. Real-time map doesn't function since maps like Locker or Metro COMPLETELY block your view and you can't paradrop in resupplies like you can BF2's open maps because there's no "inside" buildings for it to be blocked on.

Plus no commander to kill or assets to take out. You simply have to hold a flag or the crate to keep the commanders ability up. It's kinda... pointless in the game as it is.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Quickly threw this together from footage from just tonight.
Quite a few problems with the game still, not the least being the stupid amount of aim assist giving free headshots to LMG spammers.

But for a good example of rubber banding, watch the boat section, even though it was only moderately tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ON_OlygzjU

I haven't seen Rubberbanding like that since they replaced the servers. Are you playing out of region? Everything is smooth for me for weeks now. As for the other issues you showcases, some were you just getting killed and not liking it (AC 130 rounds will get you in that door with splash damage). The sniper through the plane was obviously a kill cam mess up, which is still out there, but better than it was before they F'ed it up.

I never said the game is perfect and there are bugs galore. I simply answered the direct question of that person posing it. I'm sorry you still get Rubberbanding, but considering most people are no longer reporting it, you may want to see if that is something on your end.

mitchman

Gold Member
While playing with the US GAF squad on some US server this morning (EU time), I noticed 2 brief moments of rubber banding. First time in a long while, so it could be related to prime time in the US and wrong region.

Omni

Oh hey. I'm closing in on the top 10 for K/D

WwBWCsv.png

I'm at 14k kills so it takes a while though. Doesn't help that I reached a plateau at 3.0 for a bit there... but it has started rising again. I think if I can keep playing smartly I can get to 4.0 comfortably. It's really just a matter of getting used to the maps

mitchman

Gold Member
Oh hey. I'm closing in on the top 10 for K/D

I'm at 14k kills so it takes a while though. Doesn't help that I reached a plateau at 3.0 for a bit there... but it has started rising again. I think if I can keep playing smartly I can get to 4.0 comfortably. It's really just a matter of getting used to the maps

Do you cap objectives at all?

meppi

I haven't seen Rubberbanding like that since they replaced the servers. Are you playing out of region? Everything is smooth for me for weeks now. As for the other issues you showcases, some were you just getting killed and not liking it (AC 130 rounds will get you in that door with splash damage). The sniper through the plane was obviously a kill cam mess up, which is still out there, but better than it was before they F'ed it up.

I never said the game is perfect and there are bugs galore. I simply answered the direct question of that person posing it. I'm sorry you still get Rubberbanding, but considering most people are no longer reporting it, you may want to see if that is something on your end.

It's certainly not something on my end as I've seen it happen with people I play with as well when we're in the same games. It's without question on the server side.

Funny thing is, if I play with someone from GAF on a US server, I rarely get these issues even though I'm in Europe. No lag spikes or anything either as I'm on a pretty damn quick connection.
Yet when I play on EU servers, it happens all the time.
Can't speak for TDM or crap modes like that though as I don't play them at all.
And as people have pointed out in the past, those smaller modes seem to be the ones with much fewer issues compared to conquest.

TheSeks

Yeah, especially with the abilities tied to the flags. If you don't have certain flags, there is very little you can actually do.

It's funny seeing that scan (that is tied to the C/D flag in BF4) can be spammed while a UAV is up for shorter but refills quickly in BF2 than their counter-parts in BF4.

Same for the artillery/"Cruise Missile." But I guess that makes sense since it's a bombardment and not a "high-damage area of denial" thing the Cruise is.

But really, my biggest gripe is the fact that the "live map" is utterly useless. Even with the black/white heat-vision it's pointless to use. In BF2 you can use the live map, right-click and spot enemies and tanks quickly a la a RTS sort of deal. In BF4 there's no such function.

Commander in BF4 breaks most modes, double so if there's no enemy commander. But as far as impact in a battle goes, it's very low compared to the "commander in a field that pulls up the big map and starts to RTS and then GTFO if someone is shooting him" situation BF2 had. Of course BF2 had these people sit in a starting spawn instead of being in battle so it's pretty much the same thing as the "eye in the sky" BF4 has... :/

Commander mode is pretty close to bullshit. Who knows how many times if used a suppressor stupidly, or how many unexplainable deaths were thanks to a UAV I didn't know was up.

rafaelr

Commander in BF4 breaks most modes, double so if there's no enemy commander.

so true :/
iirc, a lot of ppl wanted the return of commander mode when bc/bc2/bf3 didn´t have it, so did dice just completely blow the implementation or are the players at fault too (at least in public servers, hardly anyone ever does what the commander asks)?

terrible

Banned
The worst is the AC-130 now on top of everything else. It ruins conquest sometimes when one team has a commander and the other doesn't. It's an incredibly huge advantage.

meppi

Commander mode is pretty close to bullshit. Who knows how many times if used a suppressor stupidly, or how many unexplainable deaths were thanks to a UAV I didn't know was up.

Yep. It's complete BS. Just another example of what's wrong with this game from a design perspective.

Omni

Do you cap objectives at all?

I have 3000 objective captures and 3500 objective defends

Take that as you will. I'm usually more than content with holding a majority share of objectives however (like if we have 2/3 flags in conquest more times than not I won't bother to push up and drive them away completely)

otapnam

iirc, a lot of ppl wanted the return of commander mode when bc/bc2/bf3 didn´t have it, so did dice just completely blow the implementation or are the players at fault too (at least in public servers, hardly anyone ever does what the commander asks)?

I think they need to improve the way teams can strategize

For example, on conquest - the map/spawn map they can show what objectives the team needs to concentrate on. Maybe they can add a priority capture point as well (i know its pretty simple but some people are just too stupid to notice)

Maybe the commander can force people to spawn towards a certain capture point

Just feels like they can implement even more tools to get people working together

TheSeks

It's a little of both.

I made a quickie IMGUR album to show off Commander in BF2 for those that haven't played it. I'd comment it but don't have the time right now.

It's probably hard to see since the game is built for 4:3 resolutions (of course) for the time, but the grey icons are "Artillery, Supply Drop, UAV" respectively on down the Karkand starting set road from the first attacking non-uncap flag.

I turned friendly fire on in singleplayer to destroy the artillery. In a later Commander image (that you can pull the commander up with Home key) the artillery is disabled. This allows enemies to "blind" or hinder the enemy commander that BF4's doesn't let you do besides "cap the flag that is giving them that ability." HOWEVER, as you can see in the engineer shots your team can repair the assets back to 100% or so and get the abilities back. So it's a back and forth of "destroy the commander or ignore them and hope for the best" sort of deal in BF2.

Then you have real-time. I don't think the Steam overlay shows the right-click "spot" and other RTS-like functions that I tried to cap but there there.

There's also a seperate commo-rose (they flipped the commorose in BF3/4! WTF!</aside>) for commander abilities to be called in if the commander is "on the field" instead of somewhere back in the commander menu. Press T to call in a UAV/strike/resupply or vehicle drop where you're aiming/standing, basically.

Tubie

Commander definitely should have been done better. That said, it's always so funny when you kill 8-10+ people with a cruise missile (usually when they're trying to cap an objective and all stand near the flag). Or killing multiple recons camping on a rooftop like in Flood Zone, Hainan Resort or Shanghai.

Other then that it's a super boring cooldown bar waiting game. I've only played it because I wanted the assignments related to it and even doing that was super frustrating because getting the "Commander Leadership Ribbons" part of "By My Command" has been pretty much impossible for me. I've yet to see even one of those ribbons.

Went premium.

Metro is lame
Gulf of Oman is great
Firestorm(?) is great
Caspian border is HELLAH!

And they're all brand new to me!

I'll give these a few sessions and then I'll try naval strike!

<giggles>

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, Metro is a total clusterfuck on conquest. Basically just a million dudes at a couple different choke points. Reminds me of Killzone 2 back in the day.

The Naval DLC maps are my faves since I like my warfare to be on the largest scale possible.

meppi

Yeah, Metro is a total clusterfuck on conquest. Basically just a million dudes at a couple different choke points. Reminds me of Killzone 2 back in the day.

The Naval DLC maps are my faves since I like my warfare to be on the largest scale possible.

Yep, been playing the naval maps almost exclusively this past month or so. Easily my favourites from this game.

Can't agree on KZ2 being as clusterfucky as Metro conquest in BF4 though.
Bloodgracht especially was chaotic and a clusterfucky at times, but unless one side was being spawncamped, it was actually playable and a ton of fun.
None of this applies to Metro now.
If Metro was a standalone game, it would be the worst multiplayer game I've ever played. No question about it. It's beyond dogshit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh, I was actually thinking of 32p matches on Blood Gratch when I made that statement. But yeah, that's really the only instance in KZ2 that compares to Metro. It's also annoying that it's seemingly all people ever play when I try to quick match the second assault maps. I don't get the appeal of playing that shit on repeat unless you're obsessed with boosting your kill count.

VariantX

Fuck Metro.

That map should only be a rush map. Its nothing but a meat grinder where people throw grenades down the stairs all day on conquest. Throwing smokes should solve the problem, but there's not exactly anywhere else for you to go, so shooting into the cloud still kills just as many people as if it weren't there at all.

Last night we ended up in a server that featured Conquest Small maps, but with full 64 players. Firestorm was amazing with only 3 flags.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Last night we ended up in a server that featured Conquest Small maps, but with full 64 players. Firestorm was amazing with only 3 flags.
That was some of the best fire fights I have had in this game. Small enough to force engagements, but large enough to allow maneuvers and tactics.

mitchman

Gold Member
Obliteration is so much fun. Some crazy shit went down in my game with Elzar, I hope i got some of it on video with the dodgy recording on the PS4. Compiling a bunch of videos now.

Obliteration is so much fun. Some crazy shit went down in my game with Elzar, I hope i got some of it on video with the dodgy recording on the PS4. Compiling a bunch of videos now.

I still wish I could have found that 44 player Obliteration server. Anyway, post that vid here, so I can peruse with delight.

funkypie

Banned
Was just banned from a server on ps4 because I killed the administrator who had no deaths in a chopper. Disgrace tbh. This kind of behaviour is rare on PC.

Heroman

Banned
That map should only be a rush map. Its nothing but a meat grinder where people throw grenades down the stairs all day on conquest. Throwing smokes should solve the problem, but there's not exactly anywhere else for you to go, so shooting into the cloud still kills just as many people as if it weren't there at all.

The problem with metro is that one team already has the advantage when the game starts. It is almost impossible to take B unless your team is terrible.

Top Bottom