• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
5+ snipers with PLD's. Ask them to lock, they never do. Idiots don't know about defending.

Also lol @ Lagolution on Haian.

Tubie

I've been playing for about 10 hours now and I'm barely rank 6. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can never seem to get a clean kill or do anything to even unlock any weapons or attachments. Right now I've been playing a lot of domination as assault with the SCAR-H but I'm not sure if that's the best for a beginner...

SCAR has a bit of recoil and while its an amazing weapon it can be a bit harder on beginners to get the most out of it. Try the M416 If you have unlocked it, it's a really good assault rifle and easy to use.

With Domination and TDM there's a good chance the other team has 4-6 members of the same platoon and that's always going to be a bad time for you if you're not in a organized group yourself. You could get lucky and be in that team with the steam rolling platoon in it, but it's still not worth the headache imo.

I would start doing Conquest, go for flags, spam R1 to spot enemies and be very conservative in your approach until you feel more confident. You will get way more points and level much faster in Conquest, so that's a plus too. The most important thing though is patience, one day you will realize you are a lot better then you were and you can still get even better, so don't give up!

(Also, don't forget to open up those Battlepacks you will start getting more and more often)

Damn man, you are overly aggressive against Seks. It appears you shit every post he makes.

When someone says something dumb--and says it with autism and exclamation marks I point it out. It just so happens that TheSeks is the one always doing it. Nothing personal.

TheSeks

Oh geez, that M416. Like a laser gun in CTE. I wonder if it's that bad in Live.

Facism

When someone says something dumb--and says it with autism and exclamation marks I point it out. It just so happens that TheSeks is the one always doing it. Nothing personal.

just sounds like you want him to top you but you're ashamed of the buttlust.

TheSeks

Actually, I'm not going to get into this.
---

CTE's placebo servers just show how improved the tickrate goes but also shows how bad some of the gun balance is.

I'm pretty butthurt how there are Stingers in the new game, and no jets (I know some of you are singing with joy for this one =P). I think it'll be a fun game.

The SCAR-H and M416 are my favorite guns in BF4. Honestly speaking I find the SCAR-H to be one of the best, if not the best, assault rifle in the game as long as you know how to handle the recoil, which isn't that bad TBH.

The new Dragon's Teeth assault rifle is gonna be very entertaining to use once it can be unlocked.

TheSeks

The new Dragon's Teeth assault rifle is gonna be very entertaining to use once it can be unlocked.

It has no where to go but up from the Naval Strike one, unless they finally buffed that one to actually be useful.

It has no where to go but up from the Naval Strike one, unless they finally buffed that one to actually be useful.

Pretty sure they haven't touched the gun in terms of balance. It's just so mediocre and as a result is pretty boring to use.

The new gun has the same damage output and bullets per mag as the SCAR-H and a higher RPM, thing is gonna be very powerful in close quarters if the stats haven't been changed for it. The reload seems to be a major disadvantage compared to the SCAR-H though. So basically it's essentially a bullpup counterpart of the SCAR-H, which is pretty great since we don't have many assault rifles with a high damage output and low magazine count.

Tubie

I'm pretty butthurt how there are Stingers in the new game, and no jets (I know some of you are singing with joy for this one =P). I think it'll be a fun game.

The SCAR-H and M416 are my favorite guns in BF4. Honestly speaking I find the SCAR-H to be one of the best, if not the best, assault rifle in the game as long as you know how to handle the recoil, which isn't that bad TBH.

Yep, the SCAR-H is definitely my go to AR when I play assault.

TheSeks

The new gun has the same damage output and bullets per mag as the SCAR-H and a higher RPM, thing is gonna be very powerful in close quarters if the stats haven't been changed for it. The reload seems to be a major disadvantage compared to the SCAR-H though. So basically it's essentially a bullpup counterpart of the SCAR-H, which is pretty great since we don't have many assault rifles with a high damage output and low magazine count.

Eh, reload probably won't be a big deal. It wasn't for me with the L86/L85A2. But that had low recoil and low firerate to where you just had to hold the trigger, get behind cover and reload. If it's got the SCAR's recoil it'll be interesting to see. Trying the SCAR in CTE right now and it's been a while since I've used it from BF3 but WHAT THE FUCK at the new iron sights. The front of the sight is like a stick instead of a fat one now. :(

terrible

Banned
Long reload times make guns a pain in close quarters. That damage model combined with a higher ROF will make it a beast up close but then the reload time will get you killed a lot. We'll see. I'll give it a try at least.

TheSeks

What is tickrate?

How often the server updates your packets/client/etc, as the gist.

A lot of people think it's gonna solve the "netcode" issue while while a more responsive servers gives that impression there is still cases where you'll be shot around corners/cover and lag/rubberband/etc. because the actual "netcode" isn't fixed, just band-aided by a more often updated game.

http://www.counter-strike.com/faqs/tickrate/

Battlefield 4's analysis of the tickrate at launch/default/10Hz

(Okay, it's part of netcode but isn't the end-all be-all that people make it to be)

scogoth

A lot of people think it's gonna solve the "netcode" issue while while a more responsive servers gives that impression there is still cases where you'll be shot around corners/cover and lag/rubberband/etc. because the actual "netcode" isn't fixed, just band-aided by a more often updated game.

(Okay, it's part of netcode but isn't the end-all be-all that people make it to be)

Its not fixed, but still a welcomed improvement. But now ping is going to play a much bigger role in weird deaths.

Okay, thanks

TheSeks

Its not fixed, but still a welcomed improvement. But now ping is going to play a much bigger role in weird deaths.

Right, but first DICE PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ fix the weapon balance. It's bananas with the suppression and tickrate increase. D:

Okay, thanks

The second link/video shows a side-by-side of two players getting different reactions because the tickrate isn't "sync"ed for everyone so the games clients (their views) are completely different. I forget the time frame (if it's even in that one, may be the "updated" video) but it shows one firing at someone and their "bullets disappearing" but the time between ticks means their client doesn't send the information until the next "snap"/tick to where the server doesn't know and when it updates it's like "no, you didn't fire." It's why a bunch of people are angry about the minimal tickrate.

(For the record, PC CS:GO is 66[Hz?] on Valve servers, but can be increased to like 110[Hz?]? or so, but it's apparently VERY server demanding and the maximum Frostbite 3 has is 30Hz which isn't going to increase in BF4's lifetime if ever but it's something they're apparently going to look into in CTE so who knows)

Long reload times make guns a pain in close quarters. That damage model combined with a higher ROF will make it a beast up close but then the reload time will get you killed a lot. We'll see. I'll give it a try at least.

Definitely. I'm thinking this will end up similar to the FAMAS where it just dominates in 1v1 and close quarters but is held back by the reload times. I like what they're going for with the gun though, it'll be a nice change of pace with the damage output it has. It has a pretty cool reload animation too so it's not too bad personally speaking.

(For the record, PC CS:GO is 66[Hz?] on Valve servers, but can be increased to like 110[Hz?]? or so, but it's apparently VERY server demanding and the maximum Frostbite 3 has is 30Hz which isn't going to increase in BF4's lifetime if ever but it's something they're apparently going to look into in CTE so who knows)

Standard Valve servers are 64 tick, you can get community servers up to 128 tick. I believe the 30 tick rate limit on frostbite might've had something to do with Need for Speed Rivals having simulation issues while running at 60 FPS and above (game is sped up etc). I believe that issue was actually fixed by modders if I'm not mistaken :x

TheSeks

Standard Valve servers are 64 tick, you can get community servers up to 128 tick. I believe the 30 tick rate limit on frostbite might've had something to do with Need for Speed Rivals having simulation issues while running at 60 FPS and above (game is sped up etc). I believe that issue was actually fixed by modders if I'm not mistaken :x

No, 30Hz is the maximum Frostbite 3 can do right now. It's hardcoded to that limit. That's why they're "looking into" increasing the tickrate beyond that hard limit, but again: It's unlikely to happen in BF4's lifetime if ever, so 30Hz is the rate you'll get.

No, 30Hz is the maximum Frostbite 3 can do right now. It's hardcoded to that limit. That's why they're "looking into" increasing the tickrate beyond that hard limit, but again: It's unlikely to happen in BF4's lifetime if ever, so 30Hz is the rate you'll get.

Oh okay, that seems pretty shortsighted of them to do that. Hopefully they seriously focus on improving the "netcode" and so on for their future multiplayer games.

TheSeks

Oh okay, that seems pretty shortsighted of them to do that. Hopefully they seriously focus on improving the "netcode" and so on for their future multiplayer games.

I wouldn't say shortsided. For all we know 10Hz worked just fine in the office environment (of course) and random internet/closed-beta-NDA testers environments to where they thought it was okay for BF4/future FB3 titles. But like BF4 showed the reality is it isn't enough for variable environments.

I say the major issue is that the server doesn't "sync" everyone, but I dunno if that's possible since I'm not all up in netcode technology to say with 100% certainty. The one good thing CTE has done is that when the devs post it opens some interesting discussion/information.

But on the downside you have people like lostsupper that shitpost when people make suggestions to improve the game/future titles
Ah well, cest la BF community that gets into open invites.

I won?

terrible

Banned
Why do I get extra games added to my history after I quit for a night? The match results show I got a kill or death too sometimes even though I was never in the match. My quit % also goes up. It's really weird. Anyone else notice this?

Definitely. I'm thinking this will end up similar to the FAMAS where it just dominates in 1v1 and close quarters but is held back by the reload times. I like what they're going for with the gun though, it'll be a nice change of pace with the damage output it has. It has a pretty cool reload animation too so it's not too bad personally speaking.

The FAMAS is practically a shotgun lol.

Bit of a chalk and cheese comparison there though. As I understand it CS:GO doesn't model individual projectiles (for things like bullet drop), not does it have destructible environments that must be synced for every player. BF4 will be sending a shitload more data per tick so there's no way it can sustain the same sort of tick rate that CS:GO could.

mitchman

Gold Member
Why do I get extra games added to my history after I quit for a night? The match results show I got a kill or death too sometimes even though I was never in the match. My quit % also goes up. It's really weird. Anyone else notice this?

Some of the custom servers doesn't seem to get the time zone correct so the last match might not show as being last. I see it from time to time, but it's not very wide spread.

terrible

Banned
Some of the custom servers doesn't seem to get the time zone correct so the last match might not show as being last. I see it from time to time, but it's not very wide spread.

It's been an official server every time I've noticed it.

It looks like it happened to 6 people in this round.

I remember this one showing up randomly without me even playing that day lol. Master Healer (118 Heals). Not bad considering I wasn't playing!

edit: it's not a big deal or anything, it's just odd.

TheSeks

Bit of a chalk and cheese comparison there though. As I understand it CS:GO doesn't model individual projectiles (for things like bullet drop), not does it have destructible environments that must be synced for every player. BF4 will be sending a shitload more data per tick so there's no way it can sustain the same sort of tick rate that CS:GO could.

Right. Which is why they went for 10Hz intentionally. Unfortunately, you get "the case of the missing projectiles" from that lower tickrate. Having it go up by 20 (30Hz) solves some of that issue, but not completely removed. It's why I've been going "Yeah it's more responsive, but they haven't solved the netcode." It's still sync/lag/whatever issues that are still there, just less "prevalent" because the more updated game-times.

Are you just turning off the PS4 rather than quitting the postgame lobby of your last match? That'll usually do it.

Omni

I didn't realise you could buy battle packs. I have to admit, I told myself that if they were a dollar each I'd buy a few. Some of those camos seem impossible to get

But 5 freaking dollars for a single gold pack? What a joke in itself. I'd rather just grind some more. Jeeez

TheSeks

how fun is navel strike? Might just buy that.

Titan mode? Not worth it. Maps? Kinda worth it. Guns? Mixed barrel of monkeys.

Premium is only worth buying if you want the weapons and maps for a lump sum. If you don't see yourself playing the game hardcore, don't buy it.

on the fence for buying premium on ps4 but I don't want to spend £39.00 on it.

how fun is navel strike? Might just buy that.

Titan mode? Not worth it. Maps? Kinda worth it. Guns? Mixed barrel of monkeys.

Premium is only worth buying if you want the weapons and maps for a lump sum. If you don't see yourself playing the game hardcore, don't buy it.

yup, only worth it if you plan on playing the game for about a year as you get the overpriced mappacks for cheaper than buying them solo :D

and as for BF4, it hasn't been really worth it until the servers got updated and now already some expansions have really hard time finding games, just empty servers :/

just bought a ps4 and this game.
I understand there were some major issues before, but i guess it seems ok now? I havent had any major problems yet.

I have played it all day yesterday and the game is fucking awesome nuts. shit is blowing up everywhere!

name is out0v0rder for those who need a west coast squad mate

TheSeks

and as for BF4, it hasn't been really worth it until the servers got updated and now already some expansions have really hard time finding games, just empty servers :/

No one is playing Capture the Flag or Second Assault on PC. It's sad. I wanted to do Rush on Oman
Despite them ruining it with that new first set
but no servers. :( ;_;

Neither for Sabotage. I wanted to bomb run in the sandstorm.

TheSeks

Not sure anyone ever played Capture the Flag on PS4.

I'm sure they were at launch since there was a dogtag tied to wins for it. Similar to Titan mode/Carrier Assault having two assignments (that weren't major) tied to it.

I feel the same thing is gonna happen to Titan as soon as the new maps launch. People do the fresh hotness while the older maps get dropped and the vanilla servers stay hopping.

Speaking things:

BF3 PC is free for a week get it if you plan to build a PC to hassle me, I guess?

I'm sure they were at launch since there was a dogtag tied to wins for it. Similar to Titan mode/Carrier Assault having two assignments (that weren't major) tied to it.

Yeah they were (at least the times I tried to find and play them on PS4). Servers were often lagged beyond anything remotely fun to play. It's a shame really, as I was pretty interested to experience a CTF mode within BF's engine.

Tubie

On PS4 I can always get into conquest for any of the DLCs, but I usually play during NA prime time. Maybe it's different very very late at night or super early in the morning.

TheSeks

On PS4 I can always get into conquest for any of the DLCs, but I usually play during NA prime time. Maybe it's different very very late at night or super early in the morning.

Conquest is popular, so most of the maps will be played there.

Other modes/exclusive modes to certain maps is the issue.

Heroman

Banned

Conquest is the most popular mode, you will always find a game with max player count at any time,

TheSeks

People play other modes other than Conquest? lolz

Some of us get tired of boring Conquest, ya know?

I'm sick of it in CTE. But no one will play Sabotage Small since it's mode changes are "arm in A/B/C order, no random order. Just that one." :|

Top Bottom