• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
People play other modes other than Conquest? lolz

I like playing Obliteration some times, or one of the deathmatch modes if I want to get some weapon unlocks. Problem is, every mode that isn't conquest has shorter battles and less XP. So far the custom servers haven't been keen on changing ticket counts outside of Metro/Locker 24/7 servers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit,Obliteration on metro is fucking impossible.

I honestly haven't played it on th--

No, actually I have. Yeah, I hate Sabotage on Metro because it uses the "Park"/first set area of Rush. I don't like it in Rush either. Actually, I simply don't like Metro at all. Neat concept and you can tell it was trying to go for Rush but when it is basically a funnel of chokepoints/suppression points, yeah...

Sabotage's problem is that the "waterway"/park's river doesn't give enough momentum for either side to push. If both teams have Javelins on either side and they aren't being fired on, it's a stalemate.

Heroman

Banned

No, actually I have. Yeah, I hate Sabotage on Metro because it uses the "Park"/first set area of Rush. I don't like it in Rush either. Actually, I simply don't like Metro at all. Neat concept and you can tell it was trying to go for Rush but when it is basically a funnel of chokepoints/suppression points, yeah...

Sabotage's problem is that the "waterway"/park's river doesn't give enough momentum for either side to push. If both teams have Javelins on either side and they aren't being fired on, it's a stalemate.

I like metro but fuck it . The is problem that no one was able to arm the objective. Every they or our tot the close we would get snipe.

Holy shit,Obliteration on metro is fucking impossible.

Serious question: why do you do this?

TheSeks

I like metro but fuck it . The is problem that no one was able to arm the objective. Every they or our tot the close we would get snipe.

First set -> Smoke. But it seems harder to do than BF3 since 1) Smoke grenade toss isn't long and you have to rely on someone resupplying you as you spam smoke. [That got nerfed, IIRC] 2) M320's smoke range has been changed or screwed around or my memory of using the M320 just doesn't match it's actual use in between BF3->4. It doesn't seem to "throw" as long as BF3's which makes smoking the arming points nearly impossible.

After the first set it basically becomes an even more harder uphill battle due to suppression and doorways/chokepoints. But if you make it past the next two sets the final set isn't really that bad if you go for B first over A.

It's just a bad map all around because it's just frustrating to play on.

I played some BF4 last night and had a lot of fun sucking hard at it. BTW, I also joined the GAF Platoon, but my timing might not suit most of you in the US (its afternoon for US folks).

I think my enjoyment has increased manifold since I have started to focus on one class and doing what that class is supposed to do. Earlier I used to play as assault and just run and gun at whatever the objective was. Since I am a pretty bad player, that did not help my cause one bit.

I've started to focus on the Support class and I think that has contributed to my enjoyment of the game simply because it suits my play style. I will probably lose a straight up firefight with an enemy, but with this class (from what I read) I had to stay back and give suppressing fire so that the assault class dudes could go and do the job. Thats good for me as I get to hang back a little and don't die every 5 seconds.

So, I play support class (poorly, but enjoyably), hang back at the objective, try to give suppressing fire from where enemies are coming (and get a kill or two), and spot every enemy I can see, even if I fail to kill them.

Does that sound like the right actions for a support class player?

JJD

I played some BF4 last night and had a lot of fun sucking hard at it. BTW, I also joined the GAF Platoon, but my timing might not suit most of you in the US (its afternoon for US folks).

I think my enjoyment has increased manifold since I have started to focus on one class and doing what that class is supposed to do. Earlier I used to play as assault and just run and gun at whatever the objective was. Since I am a pretty bad player, that did not help my cause one bit.

I've started to focus on the Support class and I think that has contributed to my enjoyment of the game simply because it suits my play style. I will probably lose a straight up firefight with an enemy, but with this class (from what I read) I had to stay back and give suppressing fire so that the assault class dudes could go and do the job. Thats good for me as I get to hang back a little and don't die every 5 seconds.

So, I play support class (poorly, but enjoyably), hang back at the objective, try to give suppressing fire from where enemies are coming (and get a kill or two), and spot every enemy I can see, even if I fail to kill them.

May I ask why do you consider yourself a bad player?

Being good at BF involves more than having good twitch reflexes and aim. I've seen good players with a bad K/D and bad players with high K/D average that do nothing to help the team.

If you're playing the objective and using your class of choice gadgets properly most people will probably consider you a good player regardless of your K/D.

Classes in BF4 are pretty versatile so you can play then any way you like it, be it hanging on the back or being at the front. Just try to choose the right gun/gadget for the job. Don't forget to spot enemies!

May I ask why do you consider yourself a bad player?

Being good at BF involves more than having good twitch reflexes and aim. I've seen good players with a bad K/D and bad players with high K/D average that do nothing to help the team.

If you're playing the objective and using your class of choice gadgets properly most people will probably consider you a good player regardless of your K/D.

Classes in BF4 are pretty versatile so you can play then any way you like it, be it hanging on the back or being at the front. Just try to choose the right gun/gadget for the job. Don't forget to spot enemies!

I consider myself a bad player due to my k/d ratio as well as not having good accuracy. Hopefully it will get better the more I play. Though I will say that I am usually placed higher i.e. have more points than people who have more kills than I do, but somehow I get more points than them.

I definitely try to play the objective, though I must admit sometimes I get confused about where I should go. I still havent understood all the details of BF4, and dont know when I am being given an order, or how to find out if I have even been ordered to some objective. I usually just follow my squad mates to whichever objective they are going for.

And yeah, I always spot enemies! Even if I cant get them, hopefully that helps someone else do it!

P.S. I am playing on PS4 and am having no issues. Perhaps things have stabilized, though I did get a problem in starting the next round... I got a black screen with the cursor and music... but the game didnt come on. I closed the application, started again, went to my recent servers, rejoined that game, and got the black screen again.

I then closed the application again and went to sleep. :lol

JJD

I consider myself a bad player due to my k/d ratio as well as not having good accuracy. Hopefully it will get better the more I play. Though I will say that I am usually placed higher i.e. have more points than people who have more kills than I do, but somehow I get more points than them.

I definitely try to play the objective, though I must admit sometimes I get confused about where I should go. I still havent understood all the details of BF4, and dont know when I am being given an order, or how to find out if I have even been ordered to some objective. I usually just follow my squad mates to whichever objective they are going for.

And yeah, I always spot enemies! Even if I cant get them, hopefully that helps someone else do it!

P.S. I am playing on PS4 and am having no issues. Perhaps things have stabilized, though I did get a problem in starting the next round... I got a black screen with the cursor and music... but the game didnt come on. I closed the application, started again, went to my recent servers, rejoined that game, and got the black screen again.

I then closed the application again and went to sleep. :lol

This is a pretty common bug unfortunately. Sometimes the game just won't load the next map at the end of a round and you will get a black screen with an endless loading sign flashing, other times even though the new map loads you will be stuck in at the starter map screen and won't be able to spawn (happens on Lockers a lot to me).

It's more annoying than anything since it happens right at the start of a round. The only way to deal with it is quitting the game.

If you're lucky it will happen when you're playing with a shitty team, but from my experience it usually happens to me when my team is doing well! Lol!

This is a pretty common bug unfortunately. Sometimes the game just won't load the next map at the end of a round and you will get a black screen with an endless loading sign flashing, other times even though the new map loads you will be stuck in at the starter map screen and won't be able to spawn (happens on Lockers a lot to me).

It's more annoying than anything since it happens right at the start of a round. The only way to deal with it is quitting the game.

If you're lucky it will happen when you're playing with a shitty team, but from my experience it usually happens to me when my team is doing well! Lol!

Oh God this is exactly what happened with me last night! I had a kill streak of 4-5 and was working well with my squad, resupplying them and spotting enemies. I think we won two games of conquest and I was on a high.

Then it crashed lol.

Also... it takes too long to unlock weapons. I saw IGN's Best in Class video regarding Support and it recommended G36C, but its a carbine and I'm playing with an LMG (the first one, u-100 something). How do I unlock that? I cant select any carbine at this moment, the only weapon i can select is the u-100. Will playing with this only unlock other LMG's, or eventually will also unlock the g36c?

Oh God this is exactly what happened with me last night! I had a kill streak of 4-5 and was working well with my squad, resupplying them and spotting enemies. I think we won two games of conquest and I was on a high.

Then it crashed lol.

Also... it takes too long to unlock weapons. I saw IGN's Best in Class video regarding Support and it recommended G36C, but its a carbine and I'm playing with an LMG (the first one, u-100 something). How do I unlock that? I cant select any carbine at this moment, the only weapon i can select is the u-100. Will playing with this only unlock other LMG's, or eventually will also unlock the g36c?

To unlock carbines, you need to level up the Engineer class. Accumulate a total of 15,000 points with it and you'll unlock carbines, which can be used by every class. The first one you unlock, the AK5C, is amazing. I've not tried the G36C since the AK is good enough, and the G36C is a late unlock, at 48,000 Engie Carbine points. I personally love the AKU-12, its burst fire mode is crazy good.

Also, if you want to compare guns, this site is invaluable: http://symthic.com/bf4-weapon-info
It might be a little confusing at first, but there's an FAQ on the main page where you can learn how to read the charts. There is a simple mode where it just tells you the positives/negatives, too: http://symthic.com/bf4-compare?AK_5C_vs_G36C
The G36 looks easier to handle and the AK is faster and has a bit more range, but everything is all personal preference.

Edit- fixed typo

To unlock carbines, you need to level up the Engineer class. Accumulate a total of 15,000 points with it and you'll unlock carbines, which can be used by every class. The first one you unlock, the AK5C, is amazing. I've not tried the G36C since the AK is good enough, and the G36C is a late unlock, at 48,000 Engie points. I personally love the AKU-12, its burst fire mode is crazy good.

Also, if you want to compare guns, this site is invaluable: http://symthic.com/bf4-weapon-info
It might be a little confusing at first, but there's an FAQ on the main page where you can learn how to read the charts. There is a simple mode where it just tells you the positives/negatives, too: http://symthic.com/bf4-compare?AK_5C_vs_G36C
The G36 looks easier to handle and the AK is faster and has a bit more range, but everything is all personal preference.

Wow! Do people really give attention to the minute distinctions between the weapons? I'm sure the pros understand the nuances and pick weapons according to the situations demand.

I dont want to play as an engineer as I am not good with vehicles, so bye bye g36c. Even if I do play engineer, it will take me a long time to unlock that gun. I'll stick with the u-100, play support and have fun!

TheSeks

Wow! Do people really give attention to the minute distinctions between the weapons? I'm sure the pros understand the nuances and pick weapons according to the situations demand.

I dont want to play as an engineer as I am not good with vehicles, so bye bye g36c. Even if I do play engineer, it will take me a long time to unlock that gun. I'll stick with the u-100, play support and have fun!

No it won't. Since Carbines are all-class, put a 25/50% EXP boost on yourself and go into TDM and kill kill kill with any of the classes equipped with a carbine.

Some people do pay attention to every little detail of the guns. I pay attention to recoil patterns and rate of fire, and that's about it.

And don't worry about the G36C. The very first carbine you get is a great gun. If you want to stick with support, switch to the Type-88 as soon as you unlock it. Waaay better than the U-100.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member

You don't have to be good with vehicles to play engineer. Get it levrled a bit an unlock slams or mines. Then you can have those with an RPG and then you can run around killing all those people who think they are good with vehicles. Absolutely no requirement to get in one yourself.

TheSeks

Dont want to sound like a troll, but i dont think any mode is enjoyable in Metro.

That's not a troll, that's a fact.

I was really hoping they'd allow you to go onto the "Metro streets" proper where the park shows you the city hanging slightly above it (where the Mortars will hit to allow you into the "Metro" in Rush) to give flanking/not being able to lock down the entire map routes, but... :/

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will skip the carbine for a bit and focus on getting better at playing Support Class. Like Super-Famicom said, let me unlock the Type 88 and see how that goes. Will tinker around with the other classes later.

Does anyone play in the afternoon time in US? Thats the only time when I can get on :-/

Keasar

*shoot down a gunship*
*new gunship appears 3 seconds later*
*shoots down that gunship within 15 seconds*
*new gunship appears 3 seconds later*

WHAT!?
I swear if this is the standard balance of the Gunship command power cooldown, DICE has got to have some really dumb designers working the balance.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will skip the carbine for a bit and focus on getting better at playing Support Class. Like Super-Famicom said, let me unlock the Type 88 and see how that goes. Will tinker around with the other classes later.

Does anyone play in the afternoon time in US? Thats the only time when I can get on :-/

I can be on in the afternoons and evenings, PST time. I'm on PS4, though. PSN is hi-fi_famicom.

otapnam

To unlock carbines, you need to level up the Engineer class. Accumulate a total of 15,000 points with it and you'll unlock carbines, which can be used by every class. The first one you unlock, the AK5C, is amazing. I've not tried the G36C since the AK is good enough, and the G36C is a late unlock, at 48,000 Engie Carbine points. I personally love the AKU-12, its burst fire mode is crazy good.

Edit- fixed typo

I'm all about the ace 21 cqb. Ever since bf3 & dice's net code, higher rof = better imo. We'll see if that rumored patch changes anything though

Tubie

You can pretty much use the Type-88 all the way to the last LMG unlock. The Type-88 is a 200 round LMG, so the first thing you will need to get used to is to not reload all the time like you do with smaller magazine weapons. And don't worry about your low k/d or low accuracy, you will get better.

TheSeks

You can pretty much use the Type-88 all the way to the last LMG unlock. The Type-88 is a 200 round LMG, so the first thing you will need to get used to is to not reload all the time like you do with smaller magazine weapons. And don't worry about your low k/d or low accuracy, you will get better.

Shouldn't be worrying about that depending on mode and #WINNING anyway.

Rogue Transmission is a worthless map that takes too long to play.

Why did they take away variable ticket counts for different maps in BF4?

Kak.efes

Support is the assault class. Assault is the stay back, heal, and revive while trying to pick people off at range class.

terrible

Banned
If you're Assault in CQ and aren't up close in the action around the flags healing and reviving people you're doing it wrong imo. In other modes I'd imagine it's more or less the same idea though I don't play them.

Tubie

Tried using a DMR for the first time.

Why do they make you suffer through 10 kills with iron sights? Would make sense for them to come with a mid range scope by default, the same way sniper rifles come with a long range scope.

It wasn't so bad once I got a 4x scope on it. DMRs could use a buff tho, I could've done the same or better with a sniper rifle or a SCARH/ACE52.

otapnam

If you're Assault in CQ and aren't up close in the action around the flags healing and reviving people you're doing it wrong imo. In other modes I'd imagine it's more or less the same idea though I don't play them.

i always played assault & engineer.

to me the assault class was a juggernaut. Great medium/long range rifles. grenade launcher. Health kits or defib.

engineer class - carbines are awesome, rpgs/rockets for armor. repair kit & mines(which i never use) . the class is great for taking out just about anyone, anytime

Exactly. Staying back from the action won't keep you in range for revives/heals, so it kinda defeats the purpose. I am always up close and personal in the action when I play assault (which is full time). I just wish I had more chances to play lately, internet has been fucky for the past 2 weeks. Dirty at&t.

lord pie

PS4 player here... I'm not going to lie, I got *really* frustrated tonight.

Is there any good way to take down high level players who are in the fantan/warthog/jet, etc?

I feel like every few games a couple of level ~120 players will immediately grab both jets - and will repeat flying in, attacking, then fly off to the edge of the map to wait for repair and countermeasures to reload. Sometimes they keep this up the entire match without getting taken down once...

Taking them down with surface to air becomes practically impossible, as it feels like it needs 3 or 4 hits to get them, and they just bug off as soon as you start locking on. Take a jet myself and they seem to be able to out maneuver me somehow - even when just spinning in a circle or trying to chase them, watching the radar they seem to turn faster and eventually get behind me.

Tonight I spent an entire game just trying to take down a single warthog, and I couldn't. Got countless hits, sometimes 3 strikes in quick succession.. Drove me mad... :-/

I figured out the most reliable way to take out a jet (other than being really good in another jet) is waiting til they go into your spawn and spotting them. By far the way I've killed the most jets as infantry.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
I figured out the most reliable way to take out a jet (other than being really good in another jet) is waiting til they go into your spawn and spotting them. By far the way I've killed the most jets as infantry.
I've actually employed this tactic as a copter and jet pilot myself. Just lure them in, get turned around and spot.

TheSeks

Yeah, but isn't that busted? I know someone (I think you?) complained earlier this year about it not being a "sure thing" that the auto-spawn-anti-air system would work?

AlmostMilk said:
There was never an enjoyable version of metro.

This. All of this.

Metro is horrible in BF3 and even worse in BF4. I wish they took that map out and gave us Sharqi instead. :|
Of course how they ruined Oman first set it's probably for the best they didn't ruin my memory of Sharqi

There was never an enjoyable version of metro.

You're telling me you never enjoyed spawn trapping RUS side in CQ or US in Rush?

ZBZhaZ2.gif

TheSeks

Metro on 8vs8 (or 5vs5) is the best rush map in Battlefield 4 and 3.

Its not even close. And dont pretend its not.

Playing Rush on small instead of the default 32-player to get around bad map design for said default doesn't make it a better map, dude. And it isn't just Rush, it's all the other modes even Conquest that are hindered by the poor design. The concept of fighting in a "Metro" station and the underground is sound. The execution of it, was poor and made even worse in BF4 because the "flank routes" they added aren't really anything more than more deathtraps.

They needed to open into the French City itself so people can't completely trap 3-5 hallways and win.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Your misstaken, its not bad mapdesign. Its designed for 5vs5 and 8vs8 games. Its not designed for 32 players, hence the games are chatoic with that player amount. Less players equals greater tactits and more teamwork, and with that, the metro design works fine. Its not perfect, but its not bad.

Top Bottom