• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Your misstaken, its not bad mapdesign. Its designed for 5vs5 and 8vs8 games.

Then why is it in a game that's designed for 32/64-player playercounts? It makes no sense to include one map for that sort of player count when a bunch of others support the max/middle player counts. If Metro really is meant to be played at that small of a player-count then all servers, even DICE's own should throw it out the window from their 32/64-player servers.

That's ignoring that 2-3 supports can prone at different areas and pretty much lock down the areas up to the upper-floor of the Metro/third set and the "hallways" that the first->second set has/"poor map design" issues. I can bipod on a train car to the right (defending side) of A and look down the "left" (attack) mortar hole AND the middle door easily while nailing people with 0 recoil from the bipod LMG in addition to the suppression buff perk throwing suppression shade their way.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Its called a close quarter combat map. Google it. Becuse not everyone wants to play maps like shanghai all the time. So they design close quarter maps too. Like metro or locker. I enjoy close quarter maps from time to time. They are needed for variations sake.

And letting people who run servers play with 64 players on close quarter maps is right. People can play it the way they want.

I think they have bad map designers. I think that the entire concept of designing all the maps for conquest and just throw the rest in is stupid. I want proper rush maps etc.

Also, you can not lock down any part of metro with a bipod on a lmg. Maybe against beginners but it wont work on everyone. If someone were to do that, id just headshot them with my sniper rifle before they even can pull the trigger. Its not that hard if the lmg user has a bipod. He will be in the same position all the time. Easy kill.

Shadybiz

I'm going to try BF4 on PS4 again in a long while tonight. Haven't played it in months...

It's good now. Major improvement from where it was during the holidays, that's for damn sure.
Had a few good rounds just now, after a disgraceful performance last night. Got my first actual kill in an attack chopper, too..was a guy on a quad, and actually managed to pull out of the dive before crashing. Felt goodman.

Alpende

Oh my fuck. I just left my first match and the damn game freezes and gives an error message. OF COURSE.

Anyway, on what server does Battlefield GAF play on PS4? If there even is a specific server of course.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
bipid + lmg can be good, but you are a sitting duck and anyone with decent skills can take you down. You cannot hold any part of metro with an lmg+bipid. Period.

In BF3, I use to lie down at either end of the Metro locker room with a bipod on my Pecheneg and slaughter the idiots who would run at my bullets. I had no idea why they would continually do this.

Metro and Locker are not "close quarter" maps. They are poorly-designed sausage grinders that funnel teams down straight corridors. DICE actually did design some good close-quarters maps in BF3, but as is typical, nobody wants to just be in a 4-map rotation and they didn't get much playtime.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
In BF3, I use to lie down at either end of the Metro locker room with a bipod on my Pecheneg and slaughter the idiots who would run at my bullets. I had no idea why they would continually do this.

Metro and Locker are not "close quarter" maps. They are poorly-designed sausage grinders that funnel teams down straight corridors. DICE actually did design some good close-quarters maps in BF3, but as is typical, nobody wants to just be in a 4-map rotation and they didn't get much playtime.
I think this idea off close quarters needs to be shelved with the Battlefield franchise, it just doesn't work with high player counts and, as you said, just sausage grinders.

I think that as a community that we should try to encourage Dice to use more "infantry focused" maps. They have some good ones both in bf3 and 4, but they seem to be the exception and not the rule. I really think people would be a lot happier if we see more maps like bazaar, crossing, zvod and peaks.

Metro on 8vs8 (or 5vs5) is the best rush map in Battlefield 4 and 3.

Its not even close. And dont pretend its not.

Your misstaken, its not bad mapdesign. Its designed for 5vs5 and 8vs8 games. Its not designed for 32 players, hence the games are chatoic with that player amount. Less players equals greater tactits and more teamwork, and with that, the metro design works fine. Its not perfect, but its not bad.

Crappy excuse. You get more options to move around and have less of a clusterfuck on any map when it has less players in it. Metro isn't the exception here.

Its called a close quarter combat map. Google it. Becuse not everyone wants to play maps like shanghai all the time. So they design close quarter maps too. Like metro or locker. I enjoy close quarter maps from time to time. They are needed for variations sake.

And letting people who run servers play with 64 players on close quarter maps is right. People can play it the way they want.

I think they have bad map designers. I think that the entire concept of designing all the maps for conquest and just throw the rest in is stupid. I want proper rush maps etc.

Also, you can not lock down any part of metro with a bipod on a lmg. Maybe against beginners but it wont work on everyone. If someone were to do that, id just headshot them with my sniper rifle before they even can pull the trigger. Its not that hard if the lmg user has a bipod. He will be in the same position all the time. Easy kill.

There have been plenty of good close quarters maps in BF3. The maps from the Close Quarters DLC have all been pretty good for what they are meant for. Even Strike at Karkand has plenty of close quarter combat while still being a decently sized map.

Metro funnels both teams into the middle of the map where they both have to try to brute force each other in order to try to get to the next flag. It's tiny as fuck, it has no vehicles, it provides players with practically no flanking options. It's a bad map.

To the bolded: They do, and those bad map designers made Operation Metro. Even Operation Locker isn't as bad as Metro.

Pretty much, there is little to no effort put in to make those maps good infantry focused maps.

I think this idea off close quarters needs to be shelved with the Battlefield franchise, it just doesn't work with high player counts and, as you said, just sausage grinders.

I think that as a community that we should try to encourage Dice to use more "infantry focused" maps. They have some good ones both in bf3 and 4, but they seem to be the exception and not the rule. I really think people would be a lot happier if we see more maps like bazaar, crossing, zvod and peaks.

Strike at Karkand shits all over maps like Metro and Locker. It manages to be bigger than both while still providing a good amount of close quarter combat, and It has a good amount of options to flank the enemy. Unfortunately meat grinders like Metro are more popular, people love mindlessly spamming explosives in an unavoidable chokepoint. The examples you've provided are all better options than Metro and Locker, and I agree with everything you've mentioned.

TheSeks

bipid + lmg can be good, but you are a sitting duck and anyone with decent skills can take you down. You cannot hold any part of metro with an lmg+bipid. Period.

Then why did I go 50-0 on a defending set
that we lost because the rest of the team wouldn't hold the other "lane" while I held the middle and left
with a bipod in a train car.

Spoiler: Because suppression buff perk = they can't fire back at me even with their "sniper rifle" and given their dropping down or climbing up stairs to the second/third set, they CAN NOT snipe me from an elevated and blocked position.

Have you actually played on the map? Because it sounds like you haven't. The map is literally chokepoints with the exception of first set (smoke it if you got it) and the last set (get to B and then flood A with explosives to arm it). It's even worse with Conquest where the action is focused on B and good fucking luck getting up the stairs if you're US (or was it RU?) that is coming from second set.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Strike at Karkand shits all over maps like Metro and Locker. It manages to be bigger than both while still providing a good amount of close quarter combat said:
No clue how I forgot karkand, those maps are exactly what I am talking about, thank you.

olimpia84

For me, Metro has a really bad design as a level but its flaws make it fun on BF3 conquest for consoles (24 player count).
There's enough breathing room for a good squad that focuses on teamwork to bypass B (assuming the opposing team has the flag taken) and go for the next flag.
That was my absolute favorite strategy, bypass B, go to the next flag, conceal a spawn beacon and draw the enemy team so that the rest of my team could push forward to get B. It's definitely one of the most fun maps ever in Battlefield as long as you know how to play it.

64 player count Metro in the other hand is a nightmare and it's easily my least favorite map out of any BF game.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Then why did I go 50-0 on a defending set
that we lost because the rest of the team wouldn't hold the other "lane" while I held the middle and left
with a bipod in a train car.

Spoiler: Because suppression buff perk = they can't fire back at me even with their "sniper rifle" and given their dropping down or climbing up stairs to the second/third set, they CAN NOT snipe me from an elevated and blocked position.

Have you actually played on the map? Because it sounds like you haven't. The map is literally chokepoints with the exception of first set (smoke it if you got it) and the last set (get to B and then flood A with explosives to arm it). It's even worse with Conquest where the action is focused on B and good fucking luck getting up the stairs if you're US (or was it RU?) that is coming from second set.
You are making a misstake assuming you can pull the trigger fast enough for your bullets to hit me before you have a sniper bullet in the head. If you have bipoded lmg i cant take you down without even looking as long i know where you are at. I just peak toe corner and shot.

And how should i know how you got 50 - 0 on metro? I was not there. Maybe you played against idiots? Maybe you were lucky? Maybe you had good teammates? Maybe you are really skilled? I cannot now and that match does not prove anything.

Hit just over 1k in UCAV kills...

futurama.gif

You are making a misstake assuming you can pull the trigger fast enough for your bullets to hit me before you have a sniper bullet in the head. If you have bipoded lmg i cant take you down without even looking as long i know where you are at. I just peak toe corner and shot.

And how should i know how you got 50 - 0 on metro? I was not there. Maybe you played against idiots? Maybe you were lucky? Maybe you had good teammates? Maybe you are really skilled? I cannot now and that match does not prove anything.

I knew you were special

Hit just over 1k in UCAV kills...

futurama.gif

Sky is the limit, bb.

The amount of intense MP moments where you think to yourself 'other games can only manage this in single player' is amazing.

Had one such moment when my group of randoms worked to together to claim and hold G flag(I think) in Altai.

I recorded this cinematic moment.

http://youtu.be/rJuMEKxFYXs

Getting hit from lock on weapons without any warning whatsoever is one of the most infuriating shit in this game.

Oh, and hitting a heli from across the map only to get just a smoke effect out of it.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Feels like that was my winning % tonight too so that seems fitting.

Go figure one of my only wins was a huge comeback victory vs GAF when I was put on the wrong team.
Ohhhhhh, so you are is only game. You had is raging that game. I was very impressed with that xm25 kill you had from the stairwell window when I was zeroed in on you with my LMG from below the balcony.

Chaplain

Anyone interested in hitting up some conquest or CTF around 2pm PST today? If interested, here is my psn id: YAHWEHsaves

Highlight of the night for me: Sneaking up on an LAV, throwing a slam on, he jumps out, kill him, take a full health LAV, clear out most of Bravo, get bombarded and abandon LAV, LAV gets stolen, get SLAM double-kill when they take LAV.

TheSeks

No one helping me take down the tower to stop the bleed for a minute so we can cap the flag(s) to bleed them and have C out of the picture for five minutes = ugh. 0-12 tickets left to bleed and only one strut to blow. Though I guess at 12 tickets left it would've been too late to have C removed from the picture anyway. :/

terrible

Banned
Ohhhhhh, so you are is only game. You had is raging that game. I was very impressed with that xm25 kill you had from the stairwell window when I was zeroed in on you with my LMG from below the balcony.

I looked at that part of the game (I record my games) and my XM25 kill on you wasn't that good. You died in two hits so someone else must have been shooting you when I did that.

I was like a mobile spawn point that match haha. I stayed alive for really long stretches and my entire squad kept spawning on me and running to their deaths over and over again. It was pretty funny. I wasn't using a silencer so your team was always on the lookout for me but instead of killing me they were just killing my squad.

No one helping me take down the tower to stop the bleed for a minute so we can cap the flag(s) to bleed them and have C out of the picture for five minutes = ugh. 0-12 tickets left to bleed and only one strut to blow. Though I guess at 12 tickets left it would've been too late to have C removed from the picture anyway. :/

How much time did you waste trying to take out the tower? You probably could have tried to cap a flag instead. That's way more efficient.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
I looked at that part of the game (I record my games) and my XM25 kill on you wasn't that good. You died in two hits so someone else must have been shooting you when I did that.

I was like a mobile spawn point that match haha. I stayed alive for really long stretches and my entire squad kept spawning on me and running to their deaths over and over again. It was pretty funny. I wasn't using a silencer so your team was always on the lookout for me but instead of killing me they were just killing my squad.
Ohhhh, I thought you got a couple shots on me and then some how pulled out your XM25 lined it up and burst me.

Kak.efes

More footage. Less hugging buildings in this one.

In this, there's owning and getting owned in the air (miniguns, man). Trying out burst fire weapons and failing miserably. Confusion at D flag (including dude who knifes AMTRAC). Some RPG highlights. Multiple multiples. Questionable spawns by Dan in the final minute, and someone getting very lucky in the final second of the round. Who, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTi7PPReEU

terrible

Banned

In this, there's owning and getting owned in the air (miniguns, man). Trying out burst fire weapons and failing miserably. Confusion at D flag (including dude who knifes AMTRAC). Some RPG highlights. Multiple multiples. Questionable spawns by Dan in the final minute, and someone getting very lucky in the final second of the round. Who, though?

I haven't flown in choppers a whole lot but man are minigun using enemies annoying as all heck. We should all just agree to not use them. It should be an unwritten rule.

Also at least this didn't happen to you at the end there. C4 kill!! Wait, no. Just an instant death from a passenger.

Ohhhh, I thought you got a couple shots on me and then some how pulled out your XM25 lined it up and burst me.

Don't feel bad, Sharp. He kills me at the beginning of that clip.

Damn. That's some flying.

JJD

God bless you for killing those roof campers!

If only more chopper pilots paid more attention to this my life as infantry would be so much easier on maps like Dawnbreaker and Floodzone!

Omni

Did they buff the scout helicopter's default machine guns in the last patch? I don't know if it's lag or what but they seem like an instadeath now.

And they do a hell of a lot of damage to other choppers. I swear it wasn't like this before.

Slightly frustrating night

TheSeks

OMG some of the things people have done with the emblem creator. (That one only works with Premium, BTW)

Top Bottom