• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

AmyS

Just fired up the PS4 @ 6:48 PM Central U.S. time, the 1310 MB BF4 update was added to downloads.

I haven't been able to keep up with all the news, given there's so much, pre-E3, so what I can expect from PS4 BF4 once this update is installed ?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just fired up the PS4 @ 6:48 PM Central U.S. time, the 1310 MB BF4 update was added to downloads.

I haven't been able to keep up with all the news, given there's so much, pre-E3, so what I can expect from PS4 BF4 once this update is installed ?
The game is finally playable, they did a big rework of the netcode and Server stuff.
I played with some gaffers and it was super smooth.

Jburton

Banned
Game runs fantastically on PS4 after the patch, very smooth.

Has the lighting been upgraded slightly? ..... something seems different with the graphics.

RoKKeR

Just downloaded the update on XBO.

Wooooowwwwwww. Everything feels so smooth, more fluid, and much tighter. No hiccups, seriously you can really tell a difference. And man, the framerate is really solid as well.

Congrats on finishing BF4 DICE.

Edit: Just kidding, server I'm on just took a shit and now it's laggy as hell. They knew!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Edit: Just kidding, server I'm on just took a shit and now it's laggy as hell. They knew!

Told you guys. They'll probably "reset" the servers tomorrow or sometime soon and then it'll be "good" again until the servers get "too old" and then they get bad again.

JJD

Damn Xfactor came out and admitted that he played Hardline. I wish the other youtubers did the same. It was kinda stupid seeing Lvlcap talking about the reveal when we knew he had already played the game.

Xfactor didn't say much, seems that he liked the game. He even mentioned that he missed playing Bad Company 2 a lot...maybe the games will feel similar?

Don't do this to my heart visceral!!!

RoKKeR

Damn Xfactor came out and admitted that he played Hardline. I wish the other youtubers did the same. It was kinda stupid seeing Lvlcap talking about the reveal when we knew he had already played the game.

Xfactor didn't say much, seems that he liked the game. He even mentioned that he missed playing Bad Company 2 a lot...maybe the games will feel similar?

Don't do this to my heart visceral!!!

I have zero interest in re-purchasing Battlefield 4.

JJD

I have zero interest in re-purchasing Battlefield 4.

Did you see the video? Seems like it's doing enough to differentiate itself from the main series.

If you're talking about re using assets, models, etc. better get used to it. This has been going on for a long, long time on yearly franchises (COD, AC, sports games and others).

Did you see the video? Seems like it's doing enough to differentiate itself from the main series.

If you're talking about re using assets, models, etc. better get used to it. This has been going on for a long, long time on yearly franchises (COD, AC, sports games and others).

it's been going on in BF too...

terrible

Banned
The game didn't feel any better at all tonight to me. I'm still dying around corners, getting double deaths, and even rubber banding again. Yay? I tried three different servers and it was the same in all of them. I hope it was just a fluke..
yes I changed the new setting to high

Congrats on finishing BF4 DICE.

not really finished yet :D mainly getting the basic playability to an acceptable level.

Weapon pickups are still a pain to get, battlelog friendslist/what server friends are playing in is working only half of the time etc.

Will need to see if the black screen of death, audio-deaf issue and dying while being resurrected leaving you in the death screen for the rest of the match have been fixed :p

raindoc

The game didn't feel any better at all tonight to me. I'm still dying around corners, getting double deaths, and even rubber banding again. Yay? I tried three different servers and it was the same in all of them. I hope it was just a fluke..
yes I changed the new setting to high

only have a PS4 since last week, but I didn't experienc any rubberbanding at all - until after yesterday's patch. option set to high using a 75 MB/s connection, there's now also a noticeable lag between a bullet hitting a target and the game showing me the hitmarker.

Tekku

So is the improvement really noticeable? I sold my game in pure disappointment, and I'm holding out for Hardline now. I hope this change will make it to that game. :)

JJD

So is the improvement really noticeable? I sold my game in pure disappointment, and I'm holding out for Hardline now. I hope this change will make it to that game. :)

Xfactor said that every change being made, including the ones from the PC CTS are going to be on Hardline day 1.

G_Berry

Banned
I've been getting the worst lag since that patch rolled out (Xbone)

It's the same lag that was in the new maps pre-patch. Rubberbanding all over the place.

Note that I have the new networking options set to "off"

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My game was unplayable for months, so on my case it was night and day.

BTW i got a headset.... but between my english and my sore throat i dont think anyone is gonna understand me.

Update auto-downloaded and installed at 4:38am. But, my game won't run, it's just endlessly stuck on the Naval Strike background with no menus. Thanks, DICE!

venom2124

So I tried to get a couple ps4 matches in yesterday and just now but all I see are 1 and 2 bar connection games available. I tried searching with hi frequency network update on and off, same result. My system performance test shows 3 green bars, .03 latency, and no packet loss in or out. I'm on the east coast (nj) of the US. Never had a problem finding a full bar game before the most recent patch. Is dice working on the servers? Also, battlelog hasn't loaded properly in my game for the past few days and the burning ship on the main menu is all I see for close to a minute. The text used to load in much faster.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I too have had some weird bugs I've never experienced. Part of me thinks it's because some players have the patch and some don't. Once I got teh patch it ran smooth.

Now I have a new issue where me and another player are both coming for each other. I stop at a corner waiting for him to round it, the instant I see him I hit the trigger, yet he gets the kill and my gun doesn't even fire. One time this happened and I could see the guys arms flinch from my bullets, yet he got the kill, fair enough, however he was at 100% health. Fix one thing, break another I guess.

Tubie

Worst patch ever:

They fixed the bug where you could still equip AA Mines with Rockets in the Test Range.

Best patch ever:

M4/M16 don't "jam" for me anymore now that I can use R1 to shoot with them. They pretty much act like fully auto weapons with R1 spam.

The netcode stuff:

Hmm maybe it's better? It's hard to tell because the game has been smooth for me for a while. I've noticed less double kills and less deaths from behind cover, but that could just be recent luck and not the patch itself.

terrible

Banned
Indeedly my friend.

Also I THINK THE WEAPON PICKUP HAS BEEN FIXED ON THE PS4.

Megaton!

Last 3 I've picked up, I've done it on the first go.

I have only tried picking up 4 battle pickups since the patch but non of them glitched on me. That is rare.

*crosses fingers*

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I played a bit on PS4 yesterday and it felt like a dream. Granted, I've been playing a lot of whothehellknows fps Dynasty Warriors 8 lately, so my perceptions might be skewed. But I grabbed a jeep on Golmud and it felt more responsive with both my steering and the interactions with the terrain than it's ever felt before.

The only oddness I've noticed is kill notifications sometimes taking a little longer than normal to pop.

So, is this worth getting now ($42 for PS4 at Walmart)? I enjoyed Bad Company 2. To those that have tried the new patch, how is it working, and overall, how is 4 compared to Bad Company 2?

TheSeks

Geez, Heavy Barrel/Potato Grip = kicks 40 feet high after four bullets fired.

With them off, less climb despite supposedly being "less accurate." So I guess getting into the rhythm of the recoil reset is the key to nailing these headshots with DMR's for the assignments.

Kak.efes

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Wont be trying commander mode again.

TheSeks

Wont be trying commander mode again.

Put UAV's over areas you want to see if there are enemies in.

Put Counter-UAV/EMP's over areas that are hot/full of enemies (pref. not in the same area as the UAV) to prevent enemies from spotting your team in that spot as easy.
Or use it to prevent a cruise missile from launching/destroy a cruise that goes through that spot

Proxy Attack to clear EMP/UAV/called in Cruise Missiles from the enemy commander and disable them from doing anything for 15 seconds.

CTRL+A all squads -> squad order A/B/C/D/E/F to a flag. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-(9-0?) will switch between individual squads to command them individually.

Reinforce the ones that ACCEPT your order (Squad leaders: Commorose up/down "Accept Order/Deny Order") even if they aren't anywhere near the objectives you say to attack/defend because at least they're LISTENING to you and should be provided back up.

Squad order points go into resupplies (useful) or ATV drop (useless) with chose-squad reinforcement (shorter time to respawn/instant respawn) and... forgetting the other thing.

Evac Order areas that you think are going to be hit by the cruise missile if you don't have an EMP ready to pop and destroy the enemy cruise missile.

Depending on mode (Sabotage notable) you may possibly lose the commander attack assets (Cruise missile) permanently for the rest of the round depending on which objective is taken. Since Sabotage doesn't let you know which crate holds which asset it's hard to know if the commander has been neutered or not.

In the big picture: It can break the game twelve ways to Sunday if the enemy side doesn't have a commander of their own to prevent your all-seeing-eye intel. On the other, the cruise missile and other assets take too long (whereas gunships are too short for their purposes to where they can be "spammed") for the commander to be "truly useful" outside of intel gathering and slight support.

Omni

Damn this latest patch has made things so much better. Hit detection is finally consistent! It really feels like a new game.

I killed two guys with the ACE CQB and flipped around and killed another who was trying to flank me. I didn't have time to reload but noticed another two approaching so I turn back around and kill them with a single 1911 mag. I was so close to getting a third kill with the pistol but I died (due to having to reload)

That would have never have been as successful before. Especially with the pistol

Kak.efes

Put UAV's over areas you want to see if there are enemies in.

Put Counter-UAV/EMP's over areas that are hot/full of enemies (pref. not in the same area as the UAV) to prevent enemies from spotting your team in that spot as easy.
Or use it to prevent a cruise missile from launching/destroy a cruise that goes through that spot

Proxy Attack to clear EMP/UAV/called in Cruise Missiles from the enemy commander and disable them from doing anything for 15 seconds.

CTRL+A all squads -> squad order A/B/C/D/E/F to a flag. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-(9-0?) will switch between individual squads to command them individually.

Reinforce the ones that ACCEPT your order (Squad leaders: Commorose up/down "Accept Order/Deny Order") even if they aren't anywhere near the objectives you say to attack/defend because at least they're LISTENING to you and should be provided back up.

Squad order points go into resupplies (useful) or ATV drop (useless) with chose-squad reinforcement (shorter time to respawn/instant respawn) and... forgetting the other thing.

Evac Order areas that you think are going to be hit by the cruise missile if you don't have an EMP ready to pop and destroy the enemy cruise missile.

Depending on mode (Sabotage notable) you may possibly lose the commander attack assets (Cruise missile) permanently for the rest of the round depending on which objective is taken. Since Sabotage doesn't let you know which crate holds which asset it's hard to know if the commander has been neutered or not.

In the big picture: It can break the game twelve ways to Sunday if the enemy side doesn't have a commander of their own to prevent your all-seeing-eye intel. On the other, the cruise missile and other assets take too long (whereas gunships are too short for their purposes to where they can be "spammed") for the commander to be "truly useful" outside of intel gathering and slight support.

Everything snaps to grid, makes it difficult to target individual teammates or enemies (I wanted to set HVT's, but couldn't/didn't know how). I generally just pointed squads towards hot points, and did the whole UAV thing. I occasionally deployed the gunship. I felt there was a lot more I was missing.

Anastasia

Came across three people crawling together on a road in Golmud Railway. I was in a buggy and stopped to see what they were doing (they were crawling for a long time). Then a random player in another buggy came along and began circling around them while honking his horn.

I love the community in this game.

Schlep

I feel like this patch is instadeath for me on PS4. Most of the time I'm literally dead within a fraction of a second. Just staying 1:1 is very difficult.

TheSeks

Everything snaps to grid, makes it difficult to target individual teammates or enemies (I wanted to set HVT's, but couldn't/didn't know how). I generally just pointed squads towards hot points, and did the whole UAV thing. I occasionally deployed the gunship. I felt there was a lot more I was missing.

HVT's only happen if someone is on a 6 kill streak. If there's a box on an individual "enemy" that enemy is on a 6+ killstreak (if there's more than one, I think Commander targets the highest instead of multiple to pick). If you see that box on an infantry after you've scanned (or they've been spotted. Just like if you were on the ground you don't know if they're there until you see them) you can then click to HVT them. HVT will be 2-5 minutes if they aren't killed they'll get "kill as HVT" bonuses but if someone on your team takes them out they get a HVT assassinated bonus.

I dunno about the console version, but the PC version after you learn the keyboard shortcuts is a lot less intense to use. You can command individual squads or quickly select all squads and go "I want you to focus on this flag, everyone" in seconds. I've never had "snap to grid" happen to me, it's like a RTS on PC. But maybe on consoles due to the controller they "snap to grid" instead of giving you free range like tablet/PC does. Blech, that's bad for you guys.

As far as chaos, yeah: That's pretty much gonna happen. People don't listen to commander orders in general and the best you can do is infantry/vehicle scan while putting some UAV's in a hotspot to see if someone is there while EMPing areas that you want to defend/destroy enemy commander cruises to protect your team defending.

meppi

One major thing which is finally fixed, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that when you are capping a flag and en enemy enters the area, now the ticking once again stops to let you know you're not alone.

Before, it just kept ticking and you never knew that there was an enemy in the vicinity unless they were spotted or making noise.

That alone is a major improvement to me.

-griffy-

Banned
I feel like this patch is instadeath for me on PS4. Most of the time I'm literally dead within a fraction of a second. Just staying 1:1 is very difficult.

I feel that's one of the byproducts of reduced latency. Before, you could round a corner, spot an enemy, maybe get a couple shots off, and then die. What happened was you rounded the corner, he shot you, and you died, but you were granted enough time to react due to the poor latency. Now you are just dead in that scenario. But it's certainly a benefit if you are the other guy.

Top Bottom