• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

I have a side question, out of any gun in BF games, what do you find is either (or both) best sounding and/or best feeling? For me, it would probably be the MG3 (MG42) from Bad Company 2. So satisfying emptying it out on people :).

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
On Ps4 and the server browser is cluttered with user servers. Is there a way to filter it to official Dice servers only? Servers with childish pictures and arbitrary bans on weapons are what kept me from playing BF3. There seemed to be a decent amount of official east coast servers after adding the Rent-A-Server update but these last few days the number has drastically shrunk.
Server ownership is very different in bf4 from bf3. Do not fear rented servers in bf4 that are "official." If they are classified as "official" the admins cannot kick, ban or change any rules other than map rotation within a set of maps (I.e. No mixing vanilla w/ dlc or game modes). If a server is classified as "ranked" admins can do what they want with rules and maps for the most part and can also kick and ban, but these servers will not auto fill from people using quick join.

You cant really, but do just select the "official" server type from the filter and then just look for servers with [DICE] in the name.

That is what I used to do in BF3. I had hoped they would have come up with a better system. Doesn't help that some of these kids have started naming their sever with [Dice]… While not the answer I hoped for, thanks for the reply!

Server ownership is very different in bf4 from bf3. Do not fear rented servers in bf4 that are "official." If they are classified as "official" the admins cannot kick, ban or change any rules other than map rotation within a set of maps (I.e. No mixing vanilla w/ dlc or game modes). If a server is classified as "ranked" admins can do what they want with rules and maps for the most part and can also kick and ban, but these servers will not auto fill from people using quick join.

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for that info. Had no idea.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I am surprised that DICE have not released a full dragons teeth trailer yet since it is due to be released so soon.
Yeah i wouldnt mind a trailer showcasing the new maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It only took them one game to fix what should've been there from launch of rent-a-server on consoles. Huh. Good going there, DICE.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've never been very good at sniping. Any tips on how to get good?

I'll give you some tips:

Don't go down scope too often. Every second you're looking down scope, you're giving away your position. Scan the horizon for the dumb snipers who are giving themselves away. Locate them before you ADS.

You can use the zoom on your secondary to scan for enemies (if you need it) and just switch to primary when you see a target.

Line up your shot (as best you can) before you ADS. You want the correction time in ADS to be as minimal as possible. So get your crosshairs basically where you want them and then pop into your scope for the final adjustment and shot.

Shoot the flying barrels on test range to get a good feel for this and basic ballistics.

Do not use a bipod. If you bipod your sniper rifle you are the noobest of the noobs. Completely unnecessary attachment.

Straightpull bolt. Get asap.

Play aggressive. Don't be the dipshit up on some crane or Mt. Nowhere... PTFO and all that.

Orcus

Added you guys. I have both PS4 and X1 versions, but I have more friends on with the X1 so I just play on there mostly. GT is ThatGuyFern
I added everyone back. I'll be home from traveling Saturday night and I'll look out for you.

GT: ORCU5

Dazzyman

Could everyone with the XB1 version please add me as just bought it and the premium, my tag is Dazzyman.

I did buy it at launch but took it back as couldn't get on a server.

Decided to rebuy as just rebought COD Ghosts for me and wife splitscreen.

I used to play BF2 a lot years ago and like to talk in a organised squad. I'm in UK but due to disabilities play all hours. I'm not the greatest at seeing for BF but I've always been good at holding back to spawn on etc....

From what I played tonight I enjoyed it. Everything seems to be working better than at launch. I died a lot but it was full of idiots not talking and not picking people up. Countless times I was repairing a vehicle for some idiot to drive off, but that's BF, brilliant if your in a good group, terrible if not.

Taurus

Could everyone with the XB1 version please add me as just bought it and the premium, my tag is Dazzyman.

I did buy it at launch but took it back as couldn't get on a server.

Decided to rebuy as just rebought COD Ghosts for me and wife splitscreen.

I used to play BF2 a lot years ago and like to talk in a organised squad. I'm in UK but due to disabilities play all hours. I'm not the greatest at seeing for BF but I've always been good at holding back to spawn on etc....

From what I played tonight I enjoyed it. Everything seems to be working better than at launch. I died a lot but it was full of idiots not talking and not picking people up. Countless times I was repairing a vehicle for some idiot to drive off, but that's BF, brilliant if your in a good group, terrible if not.
Before I add you, where are you from (country/continent)?

TheSeks

Do not use a bipod. If you bipod your sniper rifle you are the noobest of the noobs. Completely unnecessary attachment.

Call me when they remove scope sway then. Otherwise I'm using it because the hold-breath is too short to line up shots.

Play aggressive. Don't be the dipshit up on some crane or Mt. Nowhere... PTFO and all that.

You should probably use a Carbine or a DMR over the bolt actions for that, though.

I'll give you some tips:

Don't go down scope too often. Every second you're looking down scope, you're giving away your position. Scan the horizon for the dumb snipers who are giving themselves away. Locate them before you ADS.

You can use the zoom on your secondary to scan for enemies (if you need it) and just switch to primary when you see a target.

Line up your shot (as best you can) before you ADS. You want the correction time in ADS to be as minimal as possible. So get your crosshairs basically where you want them and then pop into your scope for the final adjustment and shot.

Shoot the flying barrels on test range to get a good feel for this and basic ballistics.

All of this, except the straight-pull. Using that means you're aiming down sights too much. Freehand aim, ADS, shoot, repeat. Stay mobile; bipods are for bitches.

Tubie

I'll give you some tips:

I agree with most of this, very nice tips.

But if the guy is just starting out it might be better to stay back and learn the general stuff and get used to the rifle he's using at the moment. Then be more aggressive once some level of confidence has been built up.

Call me when they remove scope sway then. Otherwise I'm using it because the hold-breath is too short to line up shots.

You should probably use a Carbine or a DMR over the bolt actions for that, though.

I think it's better to not use a bipod when you are new to sniper rifles tho. This way you learn how to deal with sway and build muscle memory.

For aggressive play I use the GOL Magnum with a 4x scope. Totally worth all the sweat and tears it took to get.

Evolved1

All of this, except the straight-pull. Using that means you're aiming down sights too much. Freehand aim, ADS, shoot, repeat. Stay mobile; bipods are for bitches.

If I'm running the 8x then I don't need the straightpull... honestly I'm so used to dropping out of ADS to chamber the next round that muscle memory makes me do it everytime anyway,

But on the low power optics and suppressor, I like having straightpull because you often need to hit a followup to kill most people in medium to CQB range. The higher ROF helps in those situations.

And generally I don't really see a downside to slapping it on any of the bolt actions. Not like you have something better to equip there, you know?

terrible

Banned

Pretty much. You're at a complete disadvantage at all times at medium to close range if you try to snipe. I guess if you find it fun that's fine but it's really ineffective compared to just using a Carbine.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GAF I'm going to be buying a PS4 pretty soon, is it worth me buying BF4 for it ?

I got my PS4 just for BF4 (And MGS V) and i like to think the worst is behind us.
At least on my end, the game was unplayable for months so i stopped playing.

Right now, its working wonders.... its a shame that it took so long to get to a 'release' state.

TheSeks

Not if the carbine/DMR user can aim.

And that's what it comes down to:

Bolt action is too slow for aggro. Double so when other guns can lay it flat. Unless you're consistent with headshots (yeah, no, you liars) you're probably putting yourself in a bigger loss than you would with a DMR.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, using DMR guns are such a pain in the ass. They're the only guns that suck in the game for me. I feel at a major disadvantage in gun fights.

TheSeks

Man, using DMR guns are such a pain in the ass. They're the only guns that suck in the game for me. I feel at a major disadvantage in gun fights.

They're really fucked since DICE made them all-class. So for the sake of "balance" they nerfed a lot of the reason (semi-auto snipers) to use them. If they were like BF3 where they were sniper/recon only, you could in theory be an aggressive sniper-rifle recon. But as it is, you're better off using a carbine (or trying to adjust to the DMR quirks) for aggressive/up-close action. Otherwise sit in the back and snipe with the bolt actions.

Only reason I'm using the DMR's (besides the SKS which would be good if DICE didn't fuck with it from 3->4) is for the assignments for China/US/Russia factions requiring 50 headshots from M39/Chinese DMR/SKS each.

Tubie

Yea, that's how they are. If you are good, you can do good with them, but not as good as you would with a carbine or AR. I plan on getting the SKS to 500 kills (270 now), but only because I want at least one of each kind of weapon to 500 kills, otherwise I would not bother with DMRs.

Just stick to the DMR you feel the least shitty with and play with it, but only if you have any personal goal with them.

TheSeks

What's funny is that the DMR's weren't that bad (at least the RFB wasn't) in the "beta." So I have no clue why they nerfed the DMR's in BF4/Live to the point of being gimmick weapons. You still had to hit your target in the beta, but they didn't feel "weak" like they do in Live.

lord pie

I really don't like the new UI background video. It's way too bright, makes some of the UI very hard to read.

I pretty much only ever use DMRs. Maybe I've just gotten used to them and am stubborn, but I quite like them. They work mostly on timing your shots to maintain accuracy. You don't fire much but ideally you hit a lot.

They are fantastic for defending and flanking. Not much use in close combat though I guess.
Time your shots to maintain accuracy. At range 3 hits with the ACE 53 SV will always be a kill.

Tubie

I really don't like the new UI background video. It's way too bright, makes some of the UI very hard to read.

I pretty much only ever use DMRs. Maybe I've just gotten used to them and am stubborn, but I quite like them. They work mostly on timing your shots to maintain accuracy. You don't fire much but ideally you hit a lot.

They are fantastic for defending and flanking. Not much use in close combat though I guess.
Timing your shots is also very important to maintain accuracy. At range 3 hits with the ACE 53 will always be a kill.

You could do almost the same with the SCAR-H, ACE-52, M16 and Bulldog (next patch/DLC weapon) while having way better CQB.

TheSeks

They work mostly on timing your shots to maintain accuracy. You don't fire much but ideally you hit a lot.

While all someone else has to do (if they aren't bolt action sniper) is hold the trigger down for two seconds and lay you flat.

Yes, they're decent support "flank" support weapons. But they aren't that great for "aggressive"/get-in-their-face gameplay. You have to kinda play selfishly if you don't want to go negative with them in most game-modes.

Again though: DMR's going from recon only, so losing the headshot instant-kill bonus to all-class was a huge nerf. Further nerfs in the case of spread/"firing speed accuracy" just hurt them further.

4 days until greatness.
Did the patch fix not being able to leave Squad Join squads? Before I had to kick everyone out 1 by 1, and rejoin the game, unless they join through Battlelog.

I'll give you some tips:

This is helpful, thanks. I made the effort to start sniping in BF4 PC, having never used snipers in other games, but I'm finding it very tough on PS4. Still, I like the risk/reward of it too much to stop completely. Those one-shot kills from ~50m with ironsights...so good.

If I'm already in PCGAF, can I be in the PS4GAF clan as well? Is it one clan per Battlelog account, or one per soldier (platform)?

Why is the official Carrier Assault maps now 10 minutes long per a game? No way in hell to break into the carriers and cap both. Just a 10 minute conquest game now with less flags. I was on a team today that crushed like 80% to 44% or something like that and the time ran out just after their carrier opened. Dice be dumb.

And where the hell are my other dog tags that are still grayed out? You know the random ones with all the different animals and the like that come in gold battlepacks? I'm missing 26 by my count of those and didn't get any from 111(maybe even 101) to 121(where I'm now at). How the hell do I get these tags? Dice be dumb. Considering there's only 19 more levels for me to progress(140)...I don't think I'll be getting them all unless they're in some special gold packs for premium members(which those tags have never come from so far) or I get multiple tags in the same pack(don't think that ever happened either).

Evolved1

Are camo colors for anyone else just completely off? As far as they aren't the same colors represented in the decal?

I unlocked Black Shark, which by the decal should be black and yellow, but when you actually slap it on the tank it's fucking orange or some shit. Seems like none of the colors in the game are actually as advertised in the images.

TheSeks

Why is the official Carrier Assault maps now 10 minutes long per a game? No way in hell to break into the carriers and cap both. Just a 10 minute conquest game now with less flags. I was on a team today that crushed like 80% to 44% or something like that and the time ran out just after their carrier opened. Dice be dumb.

Patch fucked it over on PS3. It's a known issue. Like the knives being ate.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
I dont understand that. They say that Dragons Teeth is out in 4 days. But thats when the early access start. Early access does not mean launch. The dlc is out in 2 weeks and 4 days.

/Rant

Looks decent, but nothing impressive was shown in the trailers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The only real way to fix the sniper problem that I can think of would be to allow custom servers to set class limits. Snipers themselves are very balanced, if anything they may be a bit underpowered. It's the sheer quantity of them in each match that makes them annoying I find.

That's just my opinion though.
Snipers are far from UP on the PC, because people can actually hit what they aim at, and it's a OHK. TDM is literally 90% sniper rifles, but I usually just play TDM to troll snipers so I'm not complaining. Defib kills will never cease to be funny. Class limits would to lead to people bitching about how they can't play as the obviously superior Recon class, which is exactly what we don't need.

My complaint for objective based modes is that I don't want to snipe snipers all the time. People on the BF forums think that sniping takes some huge amount of skill, and suppression is for skill-less noobs. And it doesn't, thanks to how DICE "balanced" LMGs. I can pick snipers off with an LMG all day every day. But I don't want to. I just want to get to where I'm going.

terrible

Banned
Snipers are far from UP on the PC, because people can actually hit what they aim at, and it's a OHK. TDM is literally 90% sniper rifles, but I usually just play TDM to troll snipers so I'm not complaining. Defib kills will never cease to be funny. Class limits would to lead to people bitching about how they can't play as the obviously superior Recon class, which is exactly what we don't need.

My complaint for objective based modes is that I don't want to snipe snipers all the time. People on the BF forums think that sniping takes some huge amount of skill, and suppression is for skill-less noobs. And it doesn't, thanks to how DICE "balanced" LMGs. I can pick snipers off with an LMG all day every day. But I don't want to. I just want to get to where I'm going.

Other than Floodzone and Dawnbreaker I haven't really seen much sniping in TDM on PC. It's no different than on console in my experience anyway. And yes while snipers can aim better on PC so can everyone else using every other gun. ARs and Carbines are still way better overall weapons. As a niche weapon they're not as good as they could be either. A shotgun does a better job at close range than snipers do at long range for example.

Why would people complain about not being able to snipe in custom servers that have limits imposed? All they'd have to do is play on a different server.

I dont understand that. They say that Dragons Teeth is out in 4 days. But thats when the early access start. Early access does not mean launch. The dlc is out in 2 weeks and 4 days.

/Rant

Looks decent, but nothing impressive was shown in the trailers.

nah, the DLC is out when it releases on premium. they're just using marketing bullshit terms since saying filthy poors get it 2 weeks late sounds way worse than saying premium members get it 2 weeks early.

Top Bottom