• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Yes it would.

No it wouldn't, fixing the spotting and glitching into terrain bug doesn't change how the gadget behaves, doesn't change it's stats, doesn't change the fact that it would still outclass the AT mines in almost every way.

Making them easier to see and easier to deal with means people have to be smarter with placing the SLAMs in places. The SLAMs benefit is being able to stick to things.

The SLAMs benefit is being a proximity explosive that happens to stick into most objects, meaning it's easier to kill ground transport vehicles and unsuspecting light armored vehicles. Right now they can do both of that and kill tanks with ease. Also, plenty of people already put them around corners and other areas, as a result they are often not spotted by proximity scan, which doesn't exactly help.

This means people would have to get them off the ground, something the M2 covers. This also means the M2 would be hidden behind walls instead of being placed on the ground a la M2's.

SLAMs should not kill enemy armored vehicles as well as AT mines. the AT mine covers being able to kill full hp tanks and other armored vehicles. The problem is that SLAMs can also do that on top of the multiple other useful ways it can be used to damage, kill, and zone other vehicles.

The major problem is that the M2 is redundant, and you just said it yourself in your post. So... why doesn't DICE just remove the M2? (Oh wait they can't since they launched!) The SLAM does it's job and does it better. Nerfing the SLAMs make them pointless in comparison to the M2 now. People will switch to that for their guranteed kills. "Good," you say. But that's missing the point: The SLAMs didn't need a nerf. They needed their glitchy-asses to be fixed. Same for some numerous bugs that the game has had since launch.

DICE doesn't remove them because they have a specific role to fulfill that the SLAMs shouldn't be able to. Unlike Active Radar the AT mines don't break the way the game is designed. No, rightfully nerfing their damage output does not mean they are pointless. You can still place them on shallow water and damage FACs. You can still place them on the enemy armored vehicles yourself and have them blow up like C4. You can still jihad jeep with them and use them as an alternative to C4. You can still throw them a distance like you can with C4. By the way, they upped the damage back a little bit in CTE so they get to do all of that and deal around 85 damage with 3 SLAMs to said armored vehicles like tanks.

Can AT mines do any of that? No, because that's not what they're meant to do. They're meant to be dedicated to bringing down and zoning vehicles such as tanks and IFVs, which, again, the SLAMs can do just as well. SLAMs also take zero effort to use effectively because of being a proximity explosive, people have to actually place their mines very well in order to get their kills from across the map while playing Recon and camping on a roof because they died too much as an Engineer. So this doesn't help matters either.

Again: Band-aid fix for a more serious issue: bugs. The SLAMs were pretty damn balanced outside of the fact that they were "glitch"y in regards to being hard to see and hard to hit.

And unless T1gge or someone at DICE-LA has posted something on CTE's boards in regard to SLAM's glithcy-asses never being fixed (please link me in that case via Steam IM) I'm firmly in the camp of "band-aid fix."

Again, it doesn't change how versatile it is, and how much damage it deals, and how it almost completely outclasses the AT mine as a result of the aforementioned. Not to mention their hitbox is already smaller than the AT mine making them harder to see as is, especially from a distance where they are not fully rendered.

A band-aid fix is lowering the RPM of the FAMAS because they can't fix the recoil bug. The nerf to SLAMs was specifically done because they were too damn good with too little drawbacks. The SLAMs are so good that they make AT mines useless, they are not balanced at all. If DICE said they were nerfing them because of the bugs they would have mentioned that as well, just like they did with the high RPM guns.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why are they nerfing the Famas? It's barely used.

Because the RoF (1000 in real life) is bugged in Frostbite. Anything over 900 RPM will fuck with Frostbite's recoil system.

The RoF nerf isn't that bad.

@Kane: we'll just have to agree to disagree. I prefer the SLAM's multiple uses and think the M2 is entirely redundant and the SLAM nerf isn't needed but fixing the SLAM's glitchy-buggy-asses IS needed.

DICE™ priorities™ basically.

Omni

How many AT mines does it take on destroy a tank? Two?

Haven't particularly read up on this. I usually just throw three slams on the ground. But if they're nerfing them then I'll start using ATs instead

I always wonder why so many people gravitate towards the choke hallway in Locker instead of going around outside :/

It really baffles me.

TheSeks

That's the point. Easier to get by.

Maybe the point, but it makes using scopes outside a fools errand. When your entire scope disappears in view instead of frosting over the "scope" and not the cross-hairs, what is the point of being outside?

Doesn't happen to GLORIOUS IRON SIGHT MASTER RACE, but fuck the bloom meanwhile. If DICE would tone that down slightly, I'd probably go outside more.

terrible

Banned
I got a ton of hatemail tonight playing the noobfest that is TDM. At one point they got 8 players together to try to beat my friend and I and they still lost lol. I never get hatemail when playing conquest :(

Maybe the point, but it makes using scopes outside a fools errand. When your entire scope disappears in view instead of frosting over the "scope" and not the cross-hairs, what is the point of being outside?

Doesn't happen to GLORIOUS IRON SIGHT MASTER RACE, but fuck the bloom meanwhile. If DICE would tone that down slightly, I'd probably go outside more.

I didn't realize that locker was a long range map.

Tubie

Yesterday I decided
(without hope)
to sit down and try for the 20 jet kills. First couple of hours were horrible then I got my first kill ever, and then the rest came super fast. I even got the UCAV assignment done. I think what worked best for me was attack jets on Naval Strike maps (search OP Mortar in the browser and start there, the next 2 maps in the rotation have jets in them). Also, with 36 overall kills I'm in division 1 for Attack Jets lol. Guess not many people even bother with them, specially with how steep the learning curve is.

I'm glad it's done. Now to get 55 more pistol kills and 185 tank kills, both should be easy compared to what I just went through.

Jets are all about speed control and who can make the tighter turns.

I've never gotten a feel for the attack jets, but the frogfoot or whatever feels the best to me, and the F35 is the best stealth jet hands down, imo.

F35 is the best stealth jet because it has a much smaller hitbox than the Chinese and Russian stealth jets.

Q-5 Fantan is arguably the best attack jet because of it's hitbox being pretty small and having a much eaiser time dodging AA missiles when using ECM Jammer because of it.

Pastry

Banned
Months later I still can't get over how shitty the layout of Operation Metro is. It's absolutely impossible for one of the sides to reach the middle in time, did they not play test this shit? And the soonest area, outside is completely innacesible to one side.

Spl1nter

Months later I still can't get over how shitty the layout of Operation Metro is. It's absolutely impossible for one of the sides to reach the middle in time, did they not play test this shit? And the soonest area, outside is completely innacesible to one side.

They gave the community what it wants, blame the community.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I hate that if you don't have an automatic gun in this game, you're always at a disadvantage in a gun fight 95% of the time.

j-wood

I've been playing the free game time on this and man...having a blast. I haven't ran into any problems with crashes or whatnot on the PC version.

I'm really close to buying it for 26 bucks as that seems like a great deal. But I'm torn on giving EA my money after the whole fiasco of how this launched broken...

JJD

So apparently going out of bounds is an exploit now. I received a lot a voice mail from a guy accusing me of being a cheater besides the usual foul language.

It was pretty funny. I usually receive a lot of hate mail, but it was the first time I had voice hate mail!

So apparently going out of bounds is an exploit now. I received a lot a voice mail from a guy accusing me of being a cheater besides the usual foul language.

It was pretty funny. I usually receive a lot of hate mail, but it was the first time I had voice hate mail!

Wait you mean the red hashed area? Lmao what the.

To be fair, pilots that fly out of bounds to avoid missile locks are the worst :p

man... tell 'em to meet me in BC2. i'll show them out-of-bounds!

TheSeks

Agreed. I'll have to use it enough to get some rds or something.

Get the Kobra. IIRC it's 10 kills or so in BF3 AND 4. Unless 4 has changed the order around a bit. The Kobra on the A-91 is pretty damn good. No other mods.

Well after playing for the past 3 hours, I think I have to buy this game. Does GAF have a clan or anything going on?

There is no "clan" just the "clan tag" being used as a designation. People group up via PSN/XBL/Origin friend lists. Though there is generally circles on the platforms that you can join on.

JoeLT

Just purchased a Ps4 and Battlefield 4, are there any game breaking bugs I should know about or is it mostly fine? I was used to Battlefield 3 input lag, bad lag in general and freezing my Ps3 so it can't be too bad.

Although Im a bit tight on cash now, I really loved Operation Metro and Caspian Border from Battlefield 3 and I see they're in the Second Assault DLC. How does it work if I just purchase that DLC and none else ? Can I only join servers that don't have the other DLC's in rotation? Say for example if there's a server with Operation Metro, but the next map is from a different DLC it won't match me with the server? Really just want to know if I just buy the Second Assault DLC that I can play on any server that's currently on that map, regardless if I have other DLC's.

Another quick question, does anyone happen to know what the population is like on the DLC maps in Australia? Good or Bad ? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this ! :)

Tubie

Just purchased a Ps4 and Battlefield 4, are there any game breaking bugs I should know about or is it mostly fine? I was used to Battlefield 3 input lag, bad lag in general and freezing my Ps3 so it can't be too bad.

Although Im a bit tight on cash now, I really loved Operation Metro and Caspian Border from Battlefield 3 and I see they're in the Second Assault DLC. How does it work if I just purchase that DLC and none else ? Can I only join servers that don't have the other DLC's in rotation? Say for example if there's a server with Operation Metro, but the next map is from a different DLC it won't match me with the server? Really just want to know if I just buy the Second Assault DLC that I can play on any server that's currently on that map, regardless if I have other DLC's.

Another quick question, does anyone happen to know what the population is like on the DLC maps in Australia? Good or Bad ? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this ! :)

The way it works for BF4 in PS4 is most people use the quick match option, and that is separated between Vanilla and every singular DLC. So if you buy Second Assault and queue for that you will always get a Second Assault rotation server.

If a server is a mix and the next map is another DLC you would be kicked out. This is not common tho, people avoid mixing because they lose server population when they do it.

I would hold off on purchasing a single DLC, and play vanilla a bit more and if you think you like the game enough then go Premium. China Rising isn't bad, it just lacks levolution and imo Naval Strike is all around the best DLC they made so far. Dragon's Teeth is a mixed bag.

Outside of maps tho, you have to consider weapons. CR has the MTAR, while it's not OP like it used to be it's still a really good Carbine, NS has the AWS, which is the best LMG and one of the best weapons in the game and DT has the Deagle, a handgun so good I got my 200 kills for the phantom program only using it and still kept a 2.5 KPM with it.

I would hold off on purchasing a single DLC, and play vanilla a bit more and if you think you like the game enough then go Premium. China Rising isn't bad, it just lacks levolution and imo Naval Strike is all around the best DLC they made so far. Dragon's Teeth is a mixed bag.

But the Vanilla maps in BF4 are leaps and bounds worse than CR, SA and NS maps (DT is okay but not too great with the limited vehicles). The Vanilla maps are really ridiculously boring for the most part save for Paracel Storm. Only consistent fun vanilla map.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I feel like I'm in bizarro world or something because I love the vanilla BF4 maps. I feel like they're really well designed and are a ton of fun especially for 64 players. The DLC maps are all pretty good, with each having a shit map for me (Dragon Pass, Metro, Operation Firestorm, Wave Breaker) with the exception of Dragon's Teeth which has terrible maps for 64 players imo.

No_Style

I feel like I'm in bizarro world or something because I love the vanilla BF4 maps. I feel like they're really well designed and are a ton of fun especially for 64 players. The DLC maps are all pretty good, with each having a shit map for me (Dragon Pass, Metro, Operation Firestorm, Wave Breaker) with the exception of Dragon's Teeth which has terrible maps for 64 players imo.

I agree with you. I enjoy BF4 vanilla CQ maps as a whole as well. Probably my favorite set of maps this side of BF2. Even the weakest, OP Locker, has its moments for me.

olimpia84

But the Vanilla maps in BF4 are leaps and bounds worse than CR, SA and NS maps (DT is okay but not too great with the limited vehicles). The Vanilla maps are really ridiculously boring for the most part save for Paracel Storm. Only consistent fun vanilla map.

Vanilla maps are awesome and way more enjoyable than any of the DLC content imo.

I agree with you. I enjoy BF4 vanilla CQ maps as a whole as well. Probably my favorite set of maps this side of BF2. Even the weakest, OP Locker, has its moments for me.

Agreed as well. The vanilla maps especially shit all over most of the vanilla BF3 maps, even Operation Locker is much better than Metro.

Vanilla maps are awesome and way more enjoyable than any of the DLC content imo.

I think they should've spent more time working on the DLC to be honest, they all feel meh compared to the DLC in BF3, which I think was pretty damn great for the most part. I especially felt really underwhelmed by the NS DLC. Shitty Titan mode, half assed AR160, and Paracel Storm just feels better than the 4 maps. I wish at least one of the maps had weather changes similar to Paracel Storm.

j-wood

If I buy this game, I'm better off buying the normal edition for $19.99 and then buying premium as opposed to buying the digital deluxe for 26 (and getting china rising) and then buying premium later right?

terrible

Banned
The vanilla maps in BF4 are some of the best conquest maps I've seen from DICE.

If I buy this game, I'm better off buying the normal edition for $19.99 and then buying premium as opposed to buying the digital deluxe for 26 (and getting china rising) and then buying premium later right?

Absolutely. Premium will come with the China Rising maps so you might as well save a few bucks and get the regular edition if you plan on ever getting Premium.

Omni

Is the verdict that premium is worth it still, even this late in the game life?
Really depends. You're still getting a tonne of content at a discount

But at this point it's not really a given that you'll be able to play on all the DLC as much as you might like to. Like Naval Strike is dead on Xbox in Australia, for example. Not sure about the situation on PC but it seems you get most play time on the DLC maps in the weeks following their release. Afterwards they die off pretty quickly

j-wood

Really depends. You're still getting a tonne of content at a discount

But at this point it's not really a given that you'll be able to play on all the DLC as much as you might like to. Like Naval Strike is dead on Xbox in Australia, for example. Not sure about the situation on PC but it seems you get most play time on the DLC maps in the weeks following their release. Afterwards they die off pretty quickly

This is on PC. Look at the server browser it looks like there are still quite a few that have the DLC markers on them. I assume that means they have the maps in rotation?

Top Bottom