• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Tubie

I don't trust DICE LA at all in map design. DT is terrible, and I still have 4 hours to go for the assignment ugh.

So I think it's great they're thinking of BF3 map remakes for the last DLC since BF4 is my first BF game and I never got to play BF3 or BC.

If they do bring back any more maps from BF3 then the only one I want to see return is Kharg Island. It was the best Rush and Conquest map in the game. I will be real interesting to see with the new attack boats too.

Omni

I just got BF4 on Xbox One (GT is randomrosso93 if anyone wants to add me)

My question is. Since I had premium on 360, is it supposed to transfer over to Xbone? I thought it was. I'd rather not have to buy it all again

terrible

Banned
I was within range of a friendly T-UGS on Floodzone tonight when I killed an enemy and heard another one (that wasn't on the radar) yell out right beside me. Turns out he was crouch walking to avoid detection from the T-UGS. I ended up jumping down and knifing him. I kind of felt bad. All that effort to be sneaky and the game gave him away without him even knowing it since you can't hear your own character scream. It really makes you wonder if those "how the hell did they know I was there?" moments are because of that.

I just got BF4 on Xbox One (GT is randomrosso93 if anyone wants to add me)

My question is. Since I had premium on 360, is it supposed to transfer over to Xbone? I thought it was. I'd rather not have to buy it all again

It's supposed to carry over when you go from 360 to Xbone or PS3 to PS4. I went from 360 to PS4 though so I personally haven't tried.

terrible

Banned
Yikes, they put a time limit on that? EA gonna EA I guess. Good on them for handing out a code when contacted though. How many people actually read the fine print on that offer when it was first announced? I clearly didn't lol. I bet a lot of people are going to be mad when they get BF4 on current gen and Premium doesn't carry over.

Yikes, they put a time limit on that? EA gonna EA I guess. Good on them for handing out a code when contacted though. How many people actually read the fine print on that offer when it was first announced? I clearly didn't lol. I bet a lot of people are going to be mad when they get BF4 on current gen and Premium doesn't carry over.

thats why they probably have no problem giving it out if asked, saves them face and costs them nothing anyways :D

Stig94

Neo Member
First time i tried this game a few months back i hated it, been playing it since yesterday and loving it so far...has something changed?

EDIT: Seems to play a bit better, wasnt being very specific before lol

First time i tried this game a few months back i hated it, been playing it since yesterday and loving it so far...has something changed?

EDIT: Seems to play a bit better, wasnt being very specific before lol

it has some improvements but in general Battlefield games take awhile to "get" the game and have fun with it :D

Omni

I just added you, feel free to add me.

GT: ORCU5
Thanks! Just waiting for these expansions to download and then I'll add you back

Played a few rounds of Dragon's Teeth earlier (was the first map pack I downloaded 'cause I wanted the Deagle in my loadout). Surprisingly fun. I mean I honestly thought the maps were awful on 360. But they seem a lot better on Xbone :eek:

Spl1nter

I don't trust DICE LA at all in map design. DT is terrible, and I still have 4 hours to go for the assignment ugh.

So I think it's great they're thinking of BF3 map remakes for the last DLC since BF4 is my first BF game and I never got to play BF3 or BC.

I think they are very well designed except for sunken dragon but I find it to be still a fun map. Propaganda is great and garden has great variation in outdoor engagement distances and allows all infantry play styles. Market is actually a lot of fun once you know the flow of the map. Better than metro stand still.

Yeah, I actually really like Dragon's Teeth, outside of Sunken Dragon. Propaganda is one of my favs, Lumphini at least has a variety of gameplay, and Market isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be from early impressions. The map flow and overall design blow shit like Flood Zone out of the water.

Mine01

Just bought it on amazon for 15$ i had for pvz, anyway, this is my first bf game, any tips? is the base game enough for a while? or do i need to buy the dlc's?.

this is my first bf game, any tips?

Off the top of my head:

Always spot your enemies.

Don't shoot at thin air or jets/helicopters that are 500 meters away when are you a gunner in a vehicle. (Shooting will spot you on the minimap where the entire enemy team can see you).

Always charge your defibrillators when you have the opportunity to do so when playing Assault class.

Always give out medkits and ammo bags whenever your teammates ask for it/whenever you have the chance.

is the base game enough for a while? or do i need to buy the dlc's?.

Lots of people playing the base game only and the maps are mostly decent to great. Get Premium if you plan to keep playing the game for a long time and want more maps and extra stuff like guns etc.

Mine01

Off the top of my head:

Always charge your defibrillators when you have the opportunity to do so when playing Assault class.

Always give out medkits and ammo bags whenever your teammates ask for it/whenever you have the chance.

Any class can do this? or only medics? are there classes? lol have to download 25 gigs to play first ._.

Niosai

I got this one PS4 a few days ago and something weird I'm noticing about it is that I'm really awful at it as compared to BF3. In BF3 I could usually stay pretty high up on the leaderboard, but now I'm at the bottom nearly every time. I think it might have to do with the map design so I'm wanting to practice on the old maps. Is Second Assault worth it?

Any class can do this? or only medics? are there classes? lol have to download 25 gigs to play first ._.

There are 4 classes: Assault, Engineer, Support, and Recon. All of those classes can choose 2 class specific gadgets.

Assaults is the go-to infantry class, they get to use Assault Rifles and can have medic bags and defibrillators to revive their teammates. They can also use grenade launchers if you're willing to replace either the medic bag or defibs.

Engineers is the go-to class when it comes to dealing with vehicles. They can repair vehicles and destroy enemy vehicles with their repair tool. They also have the option of using rocket launchers and mines as well.

Supports have LMGs as their main weapons. You can choose to equip an Airburst weapon that is very effective at taking out roof campers, C4 explosives to take out enemy vehicles (you only need to plant 2 to take out a full HP tank). Ammo bag for you and your teammates, and several other gadgets as well.

Recons have Sniper Rifles as their main weapons. You can choose to equip a Spawn Beacon for you and your teammates to spawn on, motion sensors, Lock on designators to use on vehicles, C4 explosives as well.

I'd recommend getting the following gadgets on each class:

Assault: Medic Bag + Defibrillators

Engineer: Rocket Launcher (preferably RPG/SMAW or SRAW) + Repair Tool

Support: Ammo Bag + C4 Explosives or XM25 Airburst (Like I said it's good at taking out people on roofs)

Recon: Spawn Beacon + C4 Explosives or PLD (This lock-on designator is also very good at spotting enemy infantry)​

Important Note: Every class can use DMRs (Designated Marksman Rifles), Shotguns, and Carbines (These are basically nerfed assault rifles, pretty good for most situations).

I got this one PS4 a few days ago and something weird I'm noticing about it is that I'm really awful at it as compared to BF3. In BF3 I could usually stay pretty high up on the leaderboard, but now I'm at the bottom nearly every time. I think it might have to do with the map design so I'm wanting to practice on the old maps. Is Second Assault worth it?

Could you be a little more specific? Is there anything that feels off perhaps, or just getting used to some of the things BF4 handles a little differently?

Kane had pretty much all the good advice here already :)

but try to play with Gaffers/friends who have played before so you can faster learn where to go on objective based maps. Drop Ammo Bags and Health kits whenever there is a battle going on and especially at chokepoints.

In essence its a team game, every class has abilities that help the team.

Learn to move vehicles and fly choppers in Test Range before you go flying into buildings with a chopper full of teammates! :D

And once again, keep spotting enemies. R1 is a dedicated spot enemies button that if you see an enemy, it's location will be revealed to your whole team. So even if you can't directly shoot at it, someone might and you will get extra points!
(holding R1 will bring up a command menu where you can request ammo/orders/health/etc.)

MoonGred

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if premium is region locked? I've just noticed that premium is on sale via amazon.com, my account is set for Australia. Would I have any issues redeeming the premium code?

Playing on pc btw

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if premium is region locked? I've just noticed that premium is on sale via amazon.com, my account is set for Australia. Would I have any issues redeeming the premium code?

Playing on pc btw

dunno about PC if Origin is region locked. On consoles all DLC is region locked.

Omni

Okay I'm really not adjusting to 64 player battles all that well

On the 360 my overall K/D was like 3.2. But on Xbone I m struggling to pull 2 each match. Occasionally I'll go like 4+ but not nearly as often as I used to. And I know K/D isn't everything but it gives you an idea of how I'm going.

There's just so many ways to get shot. Game feels completely different. Rather frustrating

terrible

Banned

On the 360 my overall K/D was like 3.2. But on Xbone I m struggling to pull 2 each match. Occasionally I'll go like 4+ but not nearly as often as I used to. And I know K/D isn't everything but it gives you an idea of how I'm going.

There's just so many ways to get shot. Game feels completely different. Rather frustrating

You'll adjust. It's almost like you need to relearn maps going from 24 player maps to 64 player maps and that's not to be underestimated. Choke points and the like are entirely different.

I think when you reach a certain level of performance you expect a lot so I get that you're a bit frustrated but you really will adjust over time.

Niosai

Could you be a little more specific? Is there anything that feels off perhaps, or just getting used to some of the things BF4 handles a little differently?

Well a big thing I'm struggling with is changing my play style. In BF3 I was mainly a combat medic and most of my points came from defibs and conquest captures. BF4 heavily nerfed the defibs so now they give 5 times less points. Also the default gun you're provided with in the assault class is terrible in my opinion so I'm struggling to actually upgrade my rifle stat. Another issue I'm having is the map design. Battlefield has wide open maps like always, but it seems like the capture point placement in conquest just seems...poor. That or I'm backwards and it's actually better? I get spawnkilled a lot more, and generally the only way to avoid it seems to be spawning into a squad member and hoping they aren't right about to get shot.

Also this may be more of a complaint than a real struggle, but the skyscrapers seem to be big spots for camping out with a sniper rifle.

EDIT: I am basically having a lot of the same issues as randomrosso.

Tubie

Well a big thing I'm struggling with is changing my play style. In BF3 I was mainly a combat medic and most of my points came from defibs and conquest captures. BF4 heavily nerfed the defibs so now they give 5 times less points. Also the default gun you're provided with in the assault class is terrible in my opinion so I'm struggling to actually upgrade my rifle stat. Another issue I'm having is the map design. Battlefield has wide open maps like always, but it seems like the capture point placement in conquest just seems...poor. That or I'm backwards and it's actually better? I get spawnkilled a lot more, and generally the only way to avoid it seems to be spawning into a squad member and hoping they aren't right about to get shot.

Also this may be more of a complaint than a real struggle, but the skyscrapers seem to be big spots for camping out with a sniper rifle.

The defib gives points depending on how long you charge it, a full charge is 100 points.

This game is all about learning the maps and the way people act around them, you'll do a lot better once you start predicting/expecting enemy behavior.

Also, the AK-12 is not the best rifle but it's far from terrible. The 3rd one you unlock (the M416), is pretty good and easy to use.

I'd say just keep at it, the games are probably different enough that it might take a few weeks to readjust.

meppi

Might as well post this here as well.

Had a rather weird bug happen last week.
When playing, my friend all of a sudden says to me "hey, you're invisible!", to which I reply "then how can you see me?".
Well turns out my name was floating in midair, but I was nowhere to be seen, although the water I ran through does indeed move.

I've encountered quite a few instances where I would swear that the enemy that just killed me and is standing not even 10 meters in front of me, right in the open in the killcam, just wasn't there when he started shooting.

Well, now I know it really does happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ysVMMu1dE&feature=youtu.be

During the same game I also came across something that I recorded because at the time, I didn't understand what was going on. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sVfWVGLoc&feature=youtu.be

shone237

Unconfirmed Member

when I went from 360-1 it took me awhile to stop running from flag to flag to find enemies and cap. I advise looking at the map more often to find the new choke points and advantage points that everyone is fighting for.

Okay then. Like I mentioned a few posts earlier, charge your defibs when you think your fallen teammate is in a good spot and you have enough time to revive him.

Note: Charging your defib fully gives your revived teammate full hp and gives you 100 points regardless if it was a squad revive or not.

The starting assault rifle is a pretty good gun, certainly not the best, but still quite decent. As mentioned earlier if you grind it out a little bit you can unlock the SCAR-H which is one of the best (if not the best) assault rifles in the game. There's also the M416 which is pretty similar to how it was in BF3, and of course it's also a very good gun as well.

When it comes to map design; I could very well be wrong but I think you just need to get used to how the maps work. After playing on them for a while you should get a sense of where players usually are, where they usually move from one point to another, and where the chokepoints are located (if any). Personally I think the maps are a metric ton better than the majority of the vanilla maps in BF3, but YMMV. So basically what terrible said to randomrosso.

Spawn points in some of the maps (Flood Zone comes to mind) aren't very good and do result in getting spawn killed from time to time. I don't think it's too bad though, and of course like you said that can remedied to a certain extent by spawning on squad mates who are in a good position.

When you have roof campers in maps like Flood Zone, use the XM25 Airburst (available to the Support class). The gadget was basically made to deal with those kinds of people. If you don't know how to properly use it then I suggest watching a video on Youtube explaining how it works.

If you have a Recon who is camping in a roof in Seige of Shanghai, chances are they are packing C4 near the elevator to kill any enemy that tries to take him down. One way to get rid of that pesky Recon is to use the MP-APS (also available to the Support class) to prevent his C4 from killing you once you get to the top of the building, after that it's up to you to take him down.

Or, you can use either the Transport or Attack Heli to get up to where they are and take them down. Keep in mind if it's just a Recon with a sniper rifle, chances are they aren't being useful to their team and are likely to be just a minor annoyance to you and your team.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yeah, more players on the map makes it a struggle to flank and hold areas at times. Being the one person that goes across the map by myself only to run into five enemies that are there to answer me is a little annoying at times. You get used to it after a bit.

Okay then. Like I mentioned a few posts earlier, charge your defibs when you think your fallen teammate is in a good spot and you have enough time to revive him.

Note: Charging your defib fully gives your revived teammate full hp and gives you 100 points regardless if it was a squad revive or not.

But if you don't have time for dat, at least throw a medicbox down. It'll start to auto-heal the person on revive. But it's at least better to charge for one second (so they get 35-50 Health) than the instant BAM revive (20HP) so they can at least attempt to stand and get into cover to use the medicbox heal range to heal.

Hey guys,

Playing on pc btw

Use a VPN. You shouldn't have issues with the DLC being cross-region once you redeem the CD-key/DLC code. Of course, since I'm 'murican I don't really have to do that. But there's people that have used the VPN trick to get stuff like Titanflop for -50-60% off the launch price from Mexico Origin earlier this year.

Of course, obligatory "you may get banned for this" disclaimer but I don't think Origin/Valve cares if you're redeeming codes.

Niosai

Thanks, Tubie and Kane Zakharov! I had absolutely no idea about the charging defib. I now feel like a douche because I've been just tapping the button to use it and my teammates probably hated me for it. As for the map issue, I thought about it a little bit and I guess I'm just not used to new maps in general. I picked up BF3 about a month before the final DLC was released so I was able to adjust quickly there. I'll try out the suggestions!

TheSeks

Is this game dying, I can almost never find servers for game modes other then Conquest on PC.

I haven't checked BF3, is there still Rush servers there?

But yeah, the lack of Rush and Sabotage servers is a bit disheartening. Double so when Sabotage is the best mode BF4 introduced. :/ I guess the issues in performance since Dragon Teeth killed the game more than the netcode/etc. issues.

TheSeks

Geez, that round. First time I've seen a team flood the roofs on Oman. If I had known there was a beacon inside B (I'm so used to B being nothing but a decoration with only a dugout) I'd have attempted to take it out sooner before they took the hotel.

AmyS

3 maps from Battlefield 3:

1.) Armored Shield
2.) Wake Island
3.) Bandar Desert (largest Battlefield map ever)

What I want most though, is the Tank Superiority mode from Armored Kill.

Also, I like the original BF3 version of Operation Firestorm more than the 2014 version from BF4 Second Assault.

olimpia84

Why can't some of these random idiots try their shit in the practice range? One full squad was blowing our vehicles up to see how far they fly and all kinds of stupid things.

TheSeks

Can't ADS for the Shorty until you put a Ghost Ring on it. Can't even use it in the water (so you're BF3<- backwards in series useless in water). WTF DICE. If it's going to not be a fire in water pistol, I'd like it to be a primary or something. :/

Effect

So Amazon had/has the game on sale for $15 so I figured finally why not. Picked up the PC version. Been playing nothing but mutliplayer and the first thing I noticed right away while playing a few sessions last night and today is the map size. Now this might been a common knowledge thing but haven't really been paying attention to the details when it comes to BF4. Just that it ran like crap upon launch and for many months after that. It's running fine at the moment for me.

My Battlefield experience is limited to Bad Company 2 (with Vietnam) and Battlefield 3 (B2K and CC). I never really had a issue with the map sizes in those games no matter the mode. Even the 64 player maps seemed big enough. It didn't feel crowded or as if I was reaching a location to quickly. Unless I was doing something dumb like playing 64 TDM on a small map. I knew what chaos I was getting into with that.

The maps here feel so much smaller even when the server is limited to 32 players. Whatever size map they set for 32 players really should only have 24 players on it I think. There are some maps where you can't turn a corner without being killed. Every match I've been in has resulted in me shooting at someone only to be killed by some one else that seemingly appears out of nowhere. Then to see the same thing happen to them as I'm waiting to respond.

If it's not that then it's recons out the ass on some maps. This has largely been a problem in domination modes. Keep looking for a no sniper rifle server but no luck. Going have to expand my search to outside of North America I think. As well as stick to 64 Conquest Large. I guess there is a reason that's the most listed server type. Maybe try to avoid certain maps if I do want to try some of the other modes.

Top Bottom