• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Thanks, Tubie and Kane Zakharov! I had absolutely no idea about the charging defib. I now feel like a douche because I've been just tapping the button to use it and my teammates probably hated me for it!

oh i wouldn't be so worried about that.

If the situation is heated, throw the medic bag on the ground and do a quick revive, they will quickly regenerate.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So Amazon had/has the game on sale for $15 so I figured finally why not. Picked up the PC version. Been playing nothing but mutliplayer and the first thing I noticed right away while playing a few sessions last night and today is the map size. Now this might been a common knowledge thing but haven't really been paying attention to the details when it comes to BF4. Just that it ran like crap upon launch and for many months after that. It's running fine at the moment for me.

My Battlefield experience is limited to Bad Company 2 (with Vietnam) and Battlefield 3 (B2K and CC). I never really had a issue with the map sizes in those games no matter the mode. Even the 64 player maps seemed big enough. It didn't feel crowded or as if I was reaching a location to quickly. Unless I was doing something dumb like playing 64 TDM on a small map. I knew what chaos I was getting into with that.

The maps here feel so much smaller even when the server is limited to 32 players. Whatever size map they set for 32 players really should only have 24 players on it I think. There are some maps where you can't turn a corner without being killed. Every match I've been in has resulted in me shooting at someone only to be killed by some one else that seemingly appears out of nowhere. Then to see the same thing happen to them as I'm waiting to respond.

If it's not that then it's recons out the ass on some maps. This has largely been a problem in domination modes. Keep looking for a no sniper rifle server but no luck. Going have to expand my search to outside of North America I think. As well as stick to 64 Conquest Large. I guess there is a reason that's the most listed server type. Maybe try to avoid certain maps if I do want to try some of the other modes.

That's why situational awareness is vital. Keep covered as much as possible, and listen for audio cues that you can check against your minimap to determine enemy presence. One useful tip: if you kill an enemy and there is another enemy nearby, that remaining enemy will call in the kill (something like "they got one of our guys!"), which can alert you to their presence and give you an idea of where they are located. Just be sure you know what language the other team is speaking.

I do think footsteps should be louder though, or at least more audible at a greater range. It's really annoying to have someone sneak up on you even though they're sprinting.

Of course a lot of situational awareness simply comes from learning the maps. It's always a little frustrating at first.

To be honest, I don't have a lot of trouble with snipers. The only time they really kill me is if I'm being an idiot and trying to outgun them from way out of my effective range.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Any Xbone players having issues staying in a game.

Ive been kicked like 3 times, and when i do a server search no results.
When i check my favorites its says like 4 players but when i join theres like 40-50?

Omni

Any Xbone players having issues staying in a game.

Ive been kicked like 3 times, and when i do a server search no results.
When i check my favorites its says like 4 players but when i join theres like 40-50?

Seems to be working alright for me. Was playing a bit earlier

Reckoner

Went to try Battlefield 4 after months away from it and it freezes after a few minutes. This is on PC. Am I the only one with this issue?

Just so you guys know, I didn't have much problems with crashes and everything when the game launched and somehow, after all these updates, it's the first time I'm having this kind of issues.

Spl1nter

Went to try Battlefield 4 after months away from it and it freezes after a few minutes. This is on PC. Am I the only one with this issue?

Just so you guys know, I didn't have much problems with crashes and everything when the game launched and somehow, after all these updates, it's the first time I'm having this kind of issues.

manually update punkbuster and make sure drivers are up to date.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You mean Crash to Desktop or actually freezes?

Reckoner

Updated drivers?

I think they are up to date. I installed drivers in the last month or so. I'm using Mantle, I should say, and it was never a problem. Running a 7970. I'm now checking and Catalyst says there is a new beta driver available. I'll try.

manually update punkbuster and make sure drivers are up to date.

Doing that right now, even though it didn't give me any punkbuster error.

You mean Crash to Desktop or actually freezes?

It just freezes.

Edit: It now gave me an error saying that I was running low on memory, so I tried launching the game using another browser instead of Chrome and it worked good. I read about people with the same problem.

Edit 2: Ok, the game froze again with the same low memory issue. I played almost 100 hours of the game without a single issue.

TheSeks

It just freezes.

Edit: It now gave me an error saying that I was running low on memory, so I tried launching the game using another browser instead of Chrome and it worked good. I read about people with the same problem.

Edit 2: Ok, the game froze again with the same low memory issue. I played almost 100 hours of the game without a single issue.

I haven't ever had it freeze like that since launch. It'll crash to Desktop though. I use Chrome as well, so it can't be the major factor there. Maybe your RAM is going bad?

Reckoner

I haven't ever had it freeze like that since launch. It'll crash to Desktop though. I use Chrome as well, so it can't be the major factor there. Maybe your RAM is going bad?

Turns out (the diagnostic tool said) that there were hardware problems. I took one of the sticks out and now no errors were found. Oh well, looks like I'll need some new ram.

terrible

Banned
GVpk4NY.jpg

We have a fan! I assume he meant GAF since I had the clan tag on and spray logo.

Also: hello lurker lol.

MR4001

I've noticed an increase in the slow loading of textures on joining a game. Super annoying when your LMG sights are like this for two minutes...:

0pSPc7f.png

Tubie

I noticed big framerate drops (PS4) a few times in Pearl Market last night. Not sure if that was always a thing or something new since I haven't played DT maps all that much.

TCRS

Banned
man I hate the reduced suppression effect compared to BF3. shoot at a sniper with a machine gun, he can still easily put two shots in you. sniping has become so fucking easy, it's a joke. same with rockets, can't even drive a tank for a minute without that thing beeping. on the other hand I'm glad they reduced the drop and increased the speed of the RPG. it's the only rocket launcher I play with and dropping helis with it is a joy.

I'm also glad they created a seperate DMR weapons class. I just love my ACE, it's so good. Assault Rifles I either hate or find them boring. I also haven't played with any PDWs or carabines. I like to play more with unconventional weapons (except for MGs). DMRs for medic, shotgun for engineer (even on big maps) and again a silenced DMR for the sniper class. mortars are finally useful again and a lot of fun.

sgb

Glad they posted about the cheating. I noticed recently that there have been a massive amount of people using aim assistance or downright bot's in games, quite surprising and really disheartening when you see it up close.

MR4001

Woah. Consoles only? I don't think I've ever ran into that on the PC version.

Yeah. Happened very often on the PS3 and every now and again (increasingly lately) on the PS4. It's the textures loading in: there's no real problem with some blurry grass but when your iron sights are a blocky mess they just don't work - the apertures are a solid black block, LOL. (NB: The illustration is my own.)

So, yeah, after some wicked off-roading and a sweet jump my Chinese FAV ended up vertical - like a fridge magnet - on the wall of the warehouse on Golmud Railway - and I got footage of it with the Share button! Sweet.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So guys i did the full game trial thing for BF4 on PS3 and i really liked the game, it's just fun.The game is 30 bucks right now but i'm wondering if i should wait for a sale soon.

Glad they posted about the cheating. I noticed recently that there have been a massive amount of people using aim assistance or downright bot's in games, quite surprising and really disheartening when you see it up close.

I've been accused of this, wrongfully. Pretty sure if you spot someone your gun will follow them when you shoot. That's not cheating. That's part of the game code, man. It doesn't happen if you they aren't spotted or you didn't spot them.

TheSeks

I've been accused of this, wrongfully. Pretty sure if you spot someone your gun will follow them when you shoot. That's not cheating. That's part of the game code, man. It doesn't happen if you they aren't spotted or you didn't spot them.

He's talking PC. Which does have a minor hacking problem.

You're thinking auto-aim, which would happen with/without spotting on consoles.

So guys i did the full game trial thing for BF4 on PS3 and i really liked the game, it's just fun.The game is 30 bucks right now but i'm wondering if i should wait for a sale soon.

It'll probably be a rental on Playstation Rental Service in Janurary or March if you can wait that long. If you really want to play it, yes it's worth the $30. Coming from someone that paid $60 day-one for the broken mess that was the PC version (CTD CTD CTD FREEZE!).

attack choppers are so stressful now. i feel like a kid in a halloween mask hiding everywhere and occasionally popping out to shout "BOOO!" in an effort to scare people to death, then running and hiding again when it doesn't work.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
attack choppers are so stressful now. i feel like a kid in a halloween mask hiding everywhere and occasionally popping out to shout "BOOO!" in an effort to scare people to death, then running and hiding again when it doesn't work.
Compaired to bf3, absolutely. You are a bit on the conservative side on bf4 though. Not trying to sound like an a hole, but you lean to the side of staying alive to the point of being ineffective and not doing much to help the team. With the AH in this game, you really just need to attack with speed and do what you can do, accepting that you may die. Also, forget the jets, as an AH pilot, they should be targets of opportunity and not a target of prusuit.

The game simply doesn't allow any success in playing the AH aggressively. A single Engineer points at you for 1 second and you're out of the game for almost half a minute, and if you don't have your countermeasures ready then you are as good as dead.

Compaired to bf3, absolutely. You are a bit on the conservative side on bf4 though. Not trying to sound like an a hole, but you lean to the side of staying alive to the point of being ineffective and not doing much to help the team. With the AH in this game, you really just need to attack with speed and do what you can do, accepting that you may die. Also, forget the jets, as an AH pilot, they should be targets of opportunity and not a target of prusuit.

The game simply doesn't allow any success in playing the AH aggressively. A single Engineer points at you for 1 second and you're out of the game for almost half a minute, and if you don't have your countermeasures ready then you are as good as dead.

Yup, best used in one burst to capture a flag or take out a single/few vehicles that's giving your team a lot of headaches.

Longer use requires that you play with a buddy and both are engineers so you can retreat after every hit to repair it behind a mountain or something.

McHuj

I'm dying to hear some news about Final Stand. I found the last DLC to be a little disappointing (although I love the new weapons) and would really like some new maps.

AmyS

After nearly 10 months of having PS4+BF4, I am finally making my way through the SP campaign and liking it alot more than BF3's on PC.

I have many thoughts on where DICE should go next generation with SP. I don't mean the next BF after Hardline, I mean on Frostbite 4. They'll clearly want to put more distance between themselves and CoD as AW is starting to attempt to copy things like Levolution and pretty soon, we'll start seeing major games released that use Unreal Engine 4.

I'm mainly taking graphics. Others here can far better put into words what changes should take place with gameplay as well as avoiding the problems BF4 had early on.

Graphically, Frostbite in general is probably my favorite graphics engine. While I understand technically it is not the very best (CryEngine is more advanced), it does not disappoint and doesn't take monstrous hardware to run at 60fps.. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One GPUs are all that powerful, both are below 2 TFLOPs (~1.8 and ~1.3 respectively).

I love the sense of scale in BF3/BF4, the levolution and weather in BF4. I'd love to see another leap like BF3/FB2 brought with scale. BF4/FB3 was an improvement but not the leap BF3/FB2 was over their previous work.

I'm not gonna write too much more so, GAF, what would be your expectations for a Frostbite engine and BF game in the 2018+ timeframe on PC and future consoles ?

McHuj

Remember that even the console BF4 was a launch cross-gen (and not to mention horrifically buggy) game. There's a lot of room for improvement.

I think they could definitely go to 1080/60 (PS4) with better textures, physics, and environment density.

I haven't played the game on 360 or PS3, but I believe the only differences are player count (and graphics obviously), the levels are pretty much the same, no? That to me implies complete under utilization of the next gen consoles and even moreso the PC version.

TheSeks

Would be really weird to have future weapons in their "modern time" shooter, even for four maps/expansion. Double so when you can use those future weapons in the "modern time" maps. :/

I'm kinda hoping it's more rail-guns and the like and not a whole-sale nod toward 2142. Despite the fact they've been hinting at something 2142-related since BF3...

It's totally going to be future warfare against Dinosaurs because DICE just loves to troll us all.

TheSeks

Have to uninstall CTE once again for the next patch, I'm thinking it's probably well worth doing so though.

Wha--?

CTE said:
PREPARATORY (BIG ~14GB) PATCH FOR TOMORROW - UNINSTALL CTE CLIENT, THE DOWNLOAD WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE UPCOMING HOURS

Jesus Christ, DICE-LA... I thought you fixed this after the previous 40gig "update" redo...

TheSeks

I don't have a cap either, but downloading 30 gigs to delete and redownload 40 gigs and then delete to redownload (14?) 50 gigs just doesn't sit right with me.

Top Bottom