• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't have a cap either, but downloading 30 gigs to delete and redownload 40 gigs and then delete to redownload (14?) 50 gigs just doesn't sit right with me.
Yeah it's a stupid system. If they were smart, they would just clone your normal install and patch from there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah it's a stupid system. If they were smart, they would just clone your normal install and patch from there.

The last CTE client redownload was supposed to fix this (patch sizes being smaller) and you'd thing the CTE client wouldn't be such a radical change in delivering DLC/maps like Live does. *shrug*

The "pre-patch" is up though and it's 14 gigs. So I guess we'll see how CTE's client handles all the maps or if they're just focusing/play-testing Final Stand now.

...Maybe this time they'll listen to CTE and nerf shit before it launches. (HELLO BULLDOG)

MR4001

i recognize it :D
KillzonePulseRifle.png

He-he. It really does look very railgun-ish!

AmyS

Final Stand revealed today? Woohoo.

Final Stand the final BF4 DLC or will we also get 3 more BF3 maps as DICE hinted ?

TheSeks

The loading screen is really nice, at least!

(why the fuck is it taking forever to load?)

KingJolly

Banned
Anyone currently playing BF4 please help me.

I've been working my ass off trying to improve using jets so I can unlock 3 ribbons and get the UCAV. I managed luckily to pull off 2 ribbons. But no matter how hard I try I can't get the third. Its been three days now and its all I'm trying to do in BF4 get that last damn ribbon and I'm getting tired.

As noobish as this sound could someone help me boost, its like 5 kill and thats it, Ill even give you a donut

Tubie

I've been working my ass off trying to improve using jets so I can unlock 3 ribbons and get the UCAV. I managed luckily to pull off 2 ribbons. But no matter how hard I try I can't get the third. Its been three days now and its all I'm trying to do in BF4 get that last damn ribbon and I'm getting tired.

As noobish as this sound could someone help me boost, its like 5 kill and thats it, Ill even give you a donut

What I did was first get used to the Laser guided missile on the attack jet (which you can unlock for the stealth jet too), so practice the lock on a few times in the test range.

I got my ribbons going into Operation Mortar (so the next 2 maps all have jets) and just trying to kill enough boats to get the 5 kills in a round. You will do 60 damage if both missiles hit, so look for attack boats that might be in a situation where they have taken some damage, or if you lock on and shoot fast enough you can switch to the gun and finish off the boat (that might be a bit harder to do).

Just be careful of enemy pilots, you can get unlucky and the other team might have an amazing jet pilot, if that happens just try to kill him or leave and join another server.

Overall it's just practice, it took me a whole day of dying without killing anyone to finally get the hang of it. I even got the aircraft veteran assignment just from using jets, it can be fun to troll vehicles that way.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

If you've got Naval strike, you can try doing what I did and play Obliteration on Lost Islands, then do everything you can to get the attack jet, even if that means hovering over the icon and mashing X/A/Whatever until you get in. I'd recommend the laser-guided missile as your secondary. Then just fly around and go for PWCs, Hovercrafts, even attack boats if you think you can get a good bead on them. I got two ribbons in one match doing that, and even helped with stopping the enemy bomb carrier, so I felt like I was almost a good member of the team.

It's a good idea to fire missiles on a locked transport vehicle even if the driver has recently jumped off. If both shots hit the splash damage plus the damage from the vehicle's destruction can still kill the driver if he's nearby.

If there's an enemy pilot trying to destroy you (he's a dick), try to mark him and then fly back over to your team's carrier. If the enemy is still marked he'll be attacked by the carrier's anti air, and will have to yield his pursuit or risk being blown up. That should give you an opportunity to circle around and pursue him, and if he's been weakened by the carrier guns, he should be an easy kill.

Also, I sometimes find that it helps to shoot the cannons in 3rd person. That way you can follow the stream of fire straight to where it's going to hit, and correct it's course from there without a messy jet UI getting in the way. Maybe it's just me.

By the way, to anyone else, did they change the UCAV recently? I stopped using it for a while, and when I went back, the controls felt extremely sluggish, although the damage/blast radius seemed improved.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finally bought this game on PS3 (yes i know, i'm poor dammit!) and i really like it so far. The UI and unlock system stuff is better now compared to BF3 however it could improve, checking assignments is a drag. Also i'm not sure i like some maps, i don't like the flood one in either Rush or deathmatch. Oh and i hear this is a somewhat easy platinum so i'll go for it.

For those of you able to play Whiteout on CTE was the hover tank in the map? I'm really curious if it's going to have a fixed turret like 2142 or if you can swivel it.

I'm super stoked about Final Stand since I loved 2142. Can you imagine if they gave stealth cloaks to recon?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For those of you able to play Whiteout on CTE was the hover tank in the map? I'm really curious if it's going to have a fixed turret like 2142 or if you can swivel it.

I'm super stoked about Final Stand since I loved 2142. Can you imagine if they gave stealth cloaks to recon?

From what I saw of JackFrags's footage, there's a bit of wiggle room, but the turret is mostly fixed.

Acinixys

I finally bought this game on PS3 (yes i know, i'm poor dammit!) and i really like it so far. The UI and unlock system stuff is better now compared to BF3 however it could improve, checking assignments is a drag. Also i'm not sure i like some maps, i don't like the flood one in either Rush or deathmatch. Oh and i hear this is a somewhat easy platinum so i'll go for it.

Whaaa

Floodzone is one of the best

Worst maps are Dawnbreaker and Operation M̶e̶t̶r̶o̶ Locker

TheSeks

For those of you able to play Whiteout on CTE was the hover tank in the map?

Yes. And there is only one apparently. Not for either faction. LAV is "non-Future"/non-Hover. I haven't gotten in since again: Only seen one on the map per the two-three rounds I played before I went to Ass Creed 4.

Bombing Runs are back, in the map that is in CTE currently (Whiteout) it's at C where the Sub is. At least people can't camp the top of the Sub as easy. (Okay, they can but they can't shoot the person getting out as easy yet)

Only new device so far is the all-class (WTF) T-UGS/Motion Mine counter DS-whatever thingy that provides fake minimap icons for the enemy to hide you/deny an area. Not a lot of people are using it but some people are butthurt about it "hurting the mini-map" on CTE.

Railgun's apparently in, but it's only a battlepickup AFAIK.

TheSeks

I honestly don't know if it's in. I saw people talking in text-chat about it but it isn't a sniper rifle AFAIK.

Just checked on an empty server.

Two Battlepickups on the map CTE is featuring right now: "Operation Whiteout" Near US and RU spawns. I got screenshots of where they are on the big map (dunno if it changes on PS360) and I'll probably upload them sometime Thursday when I'm slightly less busy due to work and other stuff. But they're there in this build.

Railgun is basically a sniper rifle that leads a charge. If you've played Halo 3 think the "Spartan Laser" and you're halfway there. The tool-tip that pops up explains that you need to lead your target. I can't see myself using it over the one-hit sniper Battlepickups but there you go. It's good for anti-vehicle sniping I guess?

Also just messed with the hover-tank for five minutes: Yes it's limited in swivel. It'll turn the entire tank around to follow where you're attempting to aim to the "swivel lock." The benefit is you're able to "strafe" the entire tank around without having to do three-point turns like a car/normal tank.

TheSeks

No new weapons?

Not in this build. There may be some but outside of the Railgun which is all-class/Battlepickup there isn't a "new weapon."

There's the new tank, a new knife ("Tanto: A heavy Tanto-style blade. The angled tip excels at puncturing hard targets. Use it to steal dog tags from your enemy."), a new gadget ("DS-3: An experimental device designed to hack the enemy communication network. Once active, the DS-3 will report a false positive infantry signal on the opposing teams mini-map.") and thats it.

Besides the Railgun/Battlepick up anyway.

Though the Parachute color selection/texture "painting" like you can do for the guns is a new thing IIRC.

KingJolly

Banned
I did it guys it DID IT!!! Got my 3rd jet ribbon and my UCAV :D

Did it on an obliteration match on golmund rail, god do I feel happy, never again jets for me.

Whaaa

No the best one are Dawnbreaker and Flood zone :p

Worst one is Lancang dam

I did it guys it DID IT!!! Got my 3rd jet ribbon and my UCAV :D

Did it on an obliteration match on golmund rail, god do I feel happy, never again jets for me.

No the best one are Dawnbreaker and Flood zone :p

Worst one is Lancang dam

Nice, now you will see that the UCAV is incredibly useless. Unless you want to troll snipers on the rooftop, then its awesome. And the worst map in the game is floodzone. I hate it more than locker and that says a lot. I will say that its mostly user error though.

Also just messed with the hover-tank for five minutes: Yes it's limited in swivel. It'll turn the entire tank around to follow where you're attempting to aim to the "swivel lock." The benefit is you're able to "strafe" the entire tank around without having to do three-point turns like a car/normal tank.

it looks like it turns on a dime anyways so it could just as well be a rotating turret :D and the HMG is on a turret atleast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RSguDkuuw

TheSeks

it looks like it turns on a dime anyways so it could just as well be a rotating turret :D and the HMG is on a turret atleast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RSguDkuuw

Right. I don't think the vehicle is bad but it might need some slight balance tweaks to balance it's advantages in mobility. Too early to say right now, but I feel it needs a few tweaks somewhere.

At least the map doesn't have the stupid bloom Locker has. I should probably rabble rabble rabble DICE to finally remove the Bloom Locker has and just replace it's "blizzard" levolution with whatever effects these random flurries on Whiteout has.

KingJolly

Banned
Nice, now you will see that the UCAV is incredibly useless. Unless you want to troll snipers on the rooftop, then its awesome. And the worst map in the game is floodzone. I hate it more than locker and that says a lot. I will say that its mostly user error though.

Have no idea what your talking about. I'm getting plenty of kills with it, even got multi kills with it against bikers and moving targets. And mobility killing tanks with it, I say the UCAV is far from useless, its under used.

(Which is not surprising seeing how hard it is to get it)

To each to themselves I guess. I really like Floodzone and the way the flooding changes the game.

Oh and Bow confirmed

http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/bl-c...c/profile/warsaw/gamedata/weapon/smallinv.png

Look for it in the middle

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Whaaa

In deathmatch Floodzone is too vertical and too 3D to properly manage, people come from everywhere. In Rush i kept getting killed because i couldn't figure out where to go in the last Mcom sites, i dunno maybe if i play more i'll like it.

TheSeks

Aw yeah, Hawkeye bow.
That'll have a drop shorter than a fucking bullet. Thereby making it pointless on most maps.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Aw yeah, Hawkeye bow.
That'll have a drop shorter than a fucking bullet. Thereby making it pointless on most maps.

You could play on those Operation Metro 24/7 servers :3

TheSeks

You could play on those Operation Metro 24/7 servers :3

No, kthx.

Seriously though, if it's like the Crossbow in BF3: I'll be hyped and then disappointed by it's lack of utility.

JJD

Railgun's apparently in, but it's only a battlepickup AFAIK.

The railgun should be a battle pickup. They do 60 damage per shot to light armored vehicles and 20 damage to heavy armored vehicles.

You can destroy any light armored vehicle in the game in 2 shots, and any heavy with 5.

If they nerfed it too much it would be just a common sniper or even a battle pickup sniper (if they took out armor damage) and Dice didn't want the railgun to feel like that, they think it should be a powerful weapon.

Spl1nter

DICE LA is so far 2 for 2 on the Final Stand maps. Giants of Karelia has a much heavier vehicle focus with 2 tanks, 2 LAVS, transport, AH, attack jet and stealth jet at main base. Map is split by a river with a railroad bridge that goes across. The highlight is a massive bunker/assembly facility for mechs. Despite the heavy vehicle focus the map seems very infantry friendly because of lots of variation in terrain height.

TheSeks

So Final Stand maps are good so far? Wish I had a decent gaming PC :(

Yes. But they're rolling them out one at a time to test on per day it seems. :/

And I agree with Splinter. I think this pack is 2/2 so far even through I haven't played the Rush/Sabo versions yet. The conquest variants are pretty and pretty infantry/vehicle balanced.

KingJolly

Banned
Been hearing from a lot of CTE players giants of Karela is most probably the best map in BF4, its huge, lots of cover, volumetric clouds for dog fights, areas for vehicle combat, close infantry combat.

God I'm drooling just thinking of it

TheSeks

So, CTE fixes are finally making it to retail. Drunken squad assemble?

Huh? I thought that patch wasn't supposed to hit until Final Stand proper?

I'm kinda pissed they raised the level cap again. It's like "Why wouldn't you just make it this high in the first place and leave it that way?"

The railgun should be a battle pickup. They do 60 damage per shot to light armored vehicles and 20 damage to heavy armored vehicles.

I never said it shouldn't be. I said "as far as I know, it's in. But I haven't seen it."

Spl1nter

3/3 on the maps so far and Hangar 21 is the best map yet. Excellent infantry map allowing all infantry play styles and ranges but in a very different and unique setting. Titan set piece base of A and B is really impressive.

So how is this game on PS4?

Just got the console and I'm tempted by 60fps and the high player count but I know there was a lot of issues round launch. One of my issues with battlefield on the previous gen was how sluggish and empty it could feel.

TheSeks

3/3 on the maps so far and Hangar 21 is the best map yet. Excellent infantry map allowing all infantry play styles and ranges but in a very different and unique setting. Titan set piece base of A and B is really impressive.

I don't really care for it. Map pack is 2/3 for me. I don't care for having to climb up to A/B from D/E/F. Sure, you have the pods but they're kinda... not great. Double-so with them glitching out in first person view to where you have to kinda guess what the hell they're doing. Maybe more time on the map will change my opinion but I don't really care for it. Not a terrible map, just not for me.

So how is this game on PS4?

Just got the console and I'm tempted by 60fps and the high player count but I know there was a lot of issues round launch. One of my issues with battlefield on the previous gen was how sluggish and empty it could feel.

There's definitely some frame rate issues at times depending on whats going on with the map, especially during "levolution" changes going on. For instance when this skyscraper collapses during siege of shanghai.

I only have vanilla and it's fairly easily for me to find maps that have 60+ players. That being said what I've noticed lately is matches are so one sided usually that most players bail after 1-2 matches so you'll have to find another server afterwards.

Overall though the frame rate is pretty stable and some of the maps can look pretty damn nice at times like Paracel Storm which is a map that has a bunch of islands and starts out as a sunny day but ends with a tropical storm going on.

edit: As far as connection issues goes, every now and then I have some rubber banding but I never really disconnect from games. U.S player btw

Das-J

Law of the West
Been hearing from a lot of CTE players giants of Karela is most probably the best map in BF4, its huge, lots of cover, volumetric clouds for dog fights, areas for vehicle combat, close infantry combat.
If that opinion holds up I'm gonna be one proud papa! :)

Props to the DICE LA environment team though - They really pulled out all the stops on these maps.

Top Bottom