• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Shadybiz

Finally took the plunge.
Any advice for a rookie?

PC here.

Yep, as others have said, spot spot spot. Gives you points when the spotted object is killed/destroyed, and helps the whole team.

If you want to level up assault and support fairly quickly, you can find yourself a 24/7 Metro or Locker server. Just keep dropping health/ammo boxes at the chokepoints. It may be "grindey" to do that, but you'll level up super quick.

Just got back into this last night after a long hiatus. The improvements seem to be great. Hadn't downloaded Final Stand yet, but I started it before I went to bed, and I hope to get some play time in today and Saturday. Not sure what they did, but I seem to see enemies a lot easier. Before it was "who the fuck is shooting at me?!" Now it's "oh there he is."

ThisOne

Is there a consensus "best" loadout for battle tanks and infantry vehicles? I know that some of it boils down to personal preference but what seems to be best?

Also, which primary weapons are considered best for each class? Most of the guns within gun types feel very similar to me. Differences mostly seem to boil down to clip size.

Ocho

Is there a consensus "best" loadout for battle tanks and infantry vehicles? I know that some of it boils down to personal preference but what seems to be best?

Also, which primary weapons are considered best for each class? Most of the guns within gun types feel very similar to me. Differences mostly seem to boil down to clip size.

Active protection + reactive armor. Mandatory imo.

Kabuto

Main Battle Tanks
- AP shell for Splash damage, Sabot Shell for sniping helis

- Heavy Machine Gun is easily the best secondary because it has almost unlimited range and hits hard.

-Zoom Optics for long range, Thermal Optics for seeing mines and infantry easier

-Active Protection

-Reactive Armor is good for pretty much any player, but I've been trying Thermal Camo after I got linked to this video. Being invisible on the minimap after 3 seconds of being spotted is pretty cool.

Infantry Fighting Vehicles
-I personally love the Canister Shell; IFVs are my #1 in vehicle kills because of this shell. It kills infantry & transport vehicles so quick with no drop for long range targets either. The other two shells are way too slow and barely do any damage to vehicles anyways.

-TOW Missile for maps with a ton of armor, Zuni Rockets for smaller maps with less armor.

-Active Protection

-Thermal Optics

-Same as MBTs

Gunner Seats

-I use Zoom Optics because

-Gunner Soflam is a free Thermal Optics that can lock helis/armor. You get Thermal & Zoom Optics for any situation.

AEK-971, ACW-R, MPX, MG4/M249, SRR61/JNG90

I played this game too much the past year

ThisOne

Main Battle Tanks
- AP shell for Splash damage, Sabot Shell for sniping helis

- Heavy Machine Gun is easily the best secondary because it has almost unlimited range and hits hard.

-Zoom Optics for long range, Thermal Optics for seeing mines and infantry easier

-Active Protection

-Reactive Armor is good for pretty much any player, but I've been trying Thermal Camo after I got linked to this video. Being invisible on the minimap after 3 seconds of being spotted is pretty cool.

Infantry Fighting Vehicles
-I personally love the Canister Shell; IFVs are my #1 in vehicle kills because of this shell. It kills infantry & transport vehicles so quick with no drop for long range targets either. The other two shells are way too slow and barely do any damage to vehicles anyways.

-TOW Missile for maps with a ton of armor, Zuni Rockets for smaller maps with less armor.

-Active Protection

-Thermal Optics

-Same as MBTs

Gunner Seats

-I use Zoom Optics because

-Gunner Soflam is a free Thermal Optics that can lock helis/armor. You get Thermal & Zoom Optics for any situation.

AEK-971, ACW-R, MPX, MG4/M249, SRR61/JNG90

I played this game too much the past year

Very helpful, thank you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I used to used cannister on mbts in bf3. They're borderline chode in bf4

You mean that Infantry Shotgun thing? I just use the Guided/Wire-guided missiles in addition to whatever the default tank option is. I also use Smoke since active protection only protects you for all of 30 seconds before it's used up and you're a sitting duck while it reloads. At least with Smoke you can take a spot off, remove a Javelin lock/PLD lock and haul ass backwards through the smoke to cover.

Edit: Also EVERYONE should be using the SOFLAM seat once you unlock it. There's really no reason not to. "BUT I WANT MY FASTER RELOAD/autoloader" which you won't even need in about 99% of situations?

Tubie

For me:
-Assault: SCAR-H or AEK-971
-Engineer: MTAR-21 or MPX
-Support: MG4
-Recon: SRR-61 or GOL Magnum

TheSeks

Hmm always thought Thermal was only to prevent lock-on/Javelins.

ThisOne

No DMR recommendations nvm lol

I love them ;(
How do you recommend using them? I've tried but they just seem to bounce around way to much when you use an acog or other similar scope. If I just use the iron sights, I lose my ability to aim well at long range and then I might as well use an automatic.

TheSeks

How do you recommend using them? I've tried but they just seem to bounce around way to much when you use an acog or other similar scope. If I just use the iron sights, I lose my ability to aim well at long range and then I might as well use an automatic.

You kinda have to get into a rhythm of "tap-tap-tap-tap-tap" to where the recoil of the last shot is "reset" enough to not bounce the next one.

Of course, I haven't touched the SKS in a while and this was before the buff, mostly because of what you say and having to "spam" it even in close-quarters where the majority of shots would miss either to recoil or stupid suppression.

TheSeks

so did you drop that $9?

Do you want me to? :x

The major reason why I haven't is mostly because of having to do all the fucking assignments for the achievements + unlocks all over again, my OCD about getting 100% achievements for all the Battlefield titles on that platform would drive me insane with the stupid jet requirement(s) on PS3.
I'd mostly buy it just to see the player population a year after the "next-gen" launch.

TheSeks

It's holding up pretty well with PS4, I'm honestly shocked.

But yeah, the price is nice. But I dunno if I want to go crazy redoing all the assignments and killing myself to 100% it. D:

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I seem to have the most success with the thermal scopes, particularly the night vision one. For some reason, using that particular scope helps out tremendously for me in terms of recoil. As for using them, you have to play it smart IMO. Pick your battles and try not to engage too much in CQC fights, because you're going to lose the majority of them unless you somehow flank your enemy. There's only two DMR guns I can only use, which are the SKS and the Scar. All the other ones I have so much trouble using and do horrible with them.

I seem to have the most success with the thermal scopes, particularly the night vision one. For some reason, using that particular scope helps out tremendously for me in terms of recoil. As for using them, you have to play it smart IMO. Pick your battles and try not to engage too much in CQC fights, because you're going to lose the majority of them unless you somehow flank your enemy. There's only two DMR guns I can only use, which are the SKS and the Scar. All the other ones I have so much trouble using and do horrible with them.

The thermal and night vision sights still have visual recoil intact IIRC. Which means those sights don't accurately represent where your bullets will hit sometimes.

Just something to keep in mind.

neoism

guys can you get games easy with just the base game or is everyone just playing the dlc also has anything been tweaked for the single player with all of the patches does it still have bad screen tearing ?? this is the PS 4 version thinking of getting it for 12 bones

t0rment

i actually bought cod ghosts to play with bots and i was very surprised to see that the game is almost dead, only 8k people playing.
i've never thought i'd see a bf game with a bigger population than cod.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
guys can you get games easy with just the base game or is everyone just playing the dlc also has anything been tweaked for the single player with all of the patches does it still have bad screen tearing ?? this is the PS 4 version thinking of getting it for 12 bones
Lots of people play base. I don't remember there being screen tearing on single play, big problem with that was a bug that erased your saved game. No clue if that was corrected or not. Game is well worth $12.

TheSeks

You really should get the Premium version for the weapons if you're thinking of buying. That said, I seriously doubt the DLC maps are super popular on PS4 compared to PC where they're played for a week or two and then dropped for the vanilla/base maps.

Just like... BF3 before it on all platforms. :/

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
The premium version of the game is $30 right now. That's probably the lowest it will be in quite a while

Yeah that's a really good deal all things considered, perfect way to get premium. I would jump in to the deal but i think i had my fill with BF4.....maybe.

TheSeks

Yeah that's a really good deal all things considered, perfect way to get premium. I would jump in to the deal but i think i had my fill with BF4.....maybe.

There's still maps to come for the following year or something if CTE is to be believed. Might as well get it if you plan to check those out + the previous five map packs.

TheSeks

the XB1 controller feels weird... but hey, i didn't crash the attack chopper!

It feels like a smaller more "hard" 360 controller to me. I really don't like how they replaced the bumpers with those "hard" whatever things and the old 360 Jewel is now an X-box 180 Jewel. :/

I kinda wish they'd release a "Duke" that was PC compatible.

It feels like a smaller more "hard" 360 controller to me. I really don't like how they replaced the bumpers with those "hard" whatever things and the old 360 Jewel is now an X-box 180 Jewel. :/

I kinda wish they'd release a "Duke" that was PC compatible.

there were USB adapters for the duke. some even replaced just the breakaway part of the cord.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Assignments are the stupidest most annoying shit in Battlefield. Like even worse than unlocks. Unlocks behind unlocks. So fucking annoying.

On another note: Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays BF Gaf.

Omni

Anyone play on Xbox One? I don't have many friends that do, apparently. My GT is randomraaawr

Can anyone tell me what is up with those lighting changes on maps in the CTE on pc? I've been watching a few videos from Jack Frags and have noticed. The recent Christmas one looks better than the real map...

Are they going to be released for everyone?

TheSeks

No. It's simply for the holidays. Cry, like I do about them not making the Fireworks grenade/explosion effect a Live developer console command.

I'll play with people on PSN, PeskyToaster is my name on there. Some GAFers may have added me before and I might have gotten rid of some because I forgot where I knew them from haha.

I just got my Phantom bow a couple days ago. Pretty hard to use, but it's fun for me. I've gotten some really nice headshots with it and it's very satisfying to kill with it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
There's still maps to come for the following year or something if CTE is to be believed. Might as well get it if you plan to check those out + the previous five map packs.

You make a good point plus i want to check out the PS4 version since i bet it's better that BF4 PS3.....i still dunno....anyone interested playing with me on PS4 later on? Anyone?

Khronico

Really glad I double dipped on pc, it's MILES better than the ps3 version if you have a halfway decent rig. I also got premium yesterday and I've enjoyed most of the new maps I played so far (I've played the maps from final stand, some from china rising and dragons teeth, no naval strike yet). Only thing that bugs me is having to grind back up to get all the weapons/attachments/class items I like. Still loads of fun to play though.

TheSeks

Honestly: I prefer The 4th of July effects than the other holidays. Though the Halloween Pearl Market was kinda cool, despite being dark as shit to where you NEEDED a flashlight to climb the stairs since they didn't light the stairs up.

Assignments are the stupidest most annoying shit in Battlefield. Like even worse than unlocks. Unlocks behind unlocks. So fucking annoying.

On another note: Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays BF Gaf.

yeah, they are. and sometimes i really go all-in on them too, playing for the assignment instead of the objective.

Top Bottom