• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Ark

People always claim the DLC maps end up fragmenting the community, but in reality all that happens is people play the DLC for two or four weeks before getting bored and going back to vanilla. Even though everyone has premium anyway.

I still can't wrap my brain around DICE not offering servers that rotate all maps. I'm never buying premium again, pretty much every Rush server on the DLC maps is not full on the Xbox One, meh.

Yeah this is something that is totally ridiculous. Even in BF3 that had servers that rotated vanilla+DLC maps, so no excuses for this at all. Make some "premium" servers that rotate a little bit of everything.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People always claim the DLC maps end up fragmenting the community, but in reality all that happens is people play the DLC for two or four weeks before getting bored and going back to vanilla. Even though everyone has premium anyway.

Yep. Servers with all DLC is pretty much dead. They play the expansions for about two weeks and then go back to vanilla leaving the all-DLC/expansion various servers completely unfilled.

I'm not sure if the playerbase that is continuing to play doesn't have Premium or they simply don't care for all the maps. *shrug*

DICE should just give the maps out for free. Make guns or something Premium only or just drop Premium.

On consoles, the problem is the lack of official mixed servers. People get bored playing the same four maps over and over again. Rented servers almost always have terrible settings that few are willing to put up with. Oh, and badmins.

Tubie

On consoles, the problem is the lack of official mixed servers. People get bored playing the same four maps over and over again. Rented servers almost always have terrible settings that few are willing to put up with. Oh, and badmins.

Pretty much this.

If you could quick match into official DICE Vanilla+All DLC servers then it would solve the problem, at least on consoles.

olimpia84

That's exactly my plan for Hardline. Unless they offer Premium for very cheap I won't be touching it, vanilla maps should be good enough as far as content.

We should bombard their Twitter and battlelog forums saying how much we want all the dlc maps in one server; this is seriously stupid

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just coming in to vent.

I cannot stand when people in my squad or not in my squad, grab the drivers seat of a vehicle/boat that I'm currently manning the gun and providing suppressive fire on the enemy so my teammates can go for the objective, and just start DRIVING OFF!

Stupid people who have no earthly clue how to play Battlefield.

hopefully, mixing premium maps with vanilla will lead to more people playing the premium maps. Seems that since vanilla went on sale for $12 on the PS4 recently that those maps are always packed packed packed and the premium maps that aren't from Final Stand or BF3 can be hard to find a full server for at times.

kinda sucks because there are definitely some gems in those premium packs.

TheSeks

hopefully, mixing premium maps with vanilla will lead to more people playing the premium maps. Seems that since vanilla went on sale for $12 on the PS4 recently that those maps are always packed packed packed and the premium maps that aren't from Final Stand or BF3 can be hard to find a full server for at times.

kinda sucks because there are definitely some gems in those premium packs.

Wishful thinking. If anything DICE adding mixed modes will just cause the mixed modes servers to be half-filled with Premium while the rest that don't give a damn stick with vanilla.

Wish there was a Mixed Sabotage server but alas the only one that is gets a max of 20 people on a good day, most of them being the server owners clan.

I can't help but keep noticing that you call Obliteration Sabotage every single time you talk about it despite being corrected.

There is no Sabotage in BF4, it is Obliteration.

Tubie

I can't help but keep noticing that you call Obliteration Sabotage every single time you talk about it despite being corrected.

There's no helping it. Same way he calls ranks over 100, Prestige 1-40 lol.

The mixed DLC server thing is indeed for consoles, PC version had this since the beginning as far as I'm aware.

New patch today!? or is he talking about CTE. I really wish they would specify that stuff in their tweets. :|

CTE ofc, and he does specify it.

Yeah but then people would no longer have to guess what he's talking about.

Wishful thinking. If anything DICE adding mixed modes will just cause the mixed modes servers to be half-filled with Premium while the rest that don't give a damn stick with vanilla.

Wish there was a Mixed Sabotage server but alas the only one that is gets a max of 20 people on a good day, most of them being the server owners clan.

I'm not sure why you keep saying nobody plays with the DLC maps, there are several all DLC CQL servers that are usually near full and even have a queue right now on PC.

There's no helping it. Same way he calls ranks over 100, Prestige 1-40 lol.

But saying the correct acronyms, modes, and ranks would make it easy for other people to understand what he's talking about and not look seemingly intentionally vague.

TheSeks

y'all know Seks been on this obtuse name scheme kick since *at least* BF2MC right?

Bridge Too Fail is so much fail. I dunno why the playerbase for Modern Combat wants that to return. Blech.

Kane said:
I'm not sure why you keep saying nobody plays with the DLC maps, there are several all DLC CQL servers that are usually near full and even have a queue right now on PC.

Maybe in Conquest in other modes? *crickets*

w0U9qIi.png

BOIZfA8.png

Two servers of 8: 20% of the available servers are DLC enabled: 1 being ALL. That one being damn near dead. The other has 90% of the DLC maps: A bit better but still damn near dead compared to vanilla servers.

Let's remove the free spots available to find empty servers, shall we?:

28 available servers in North America. 13 of which are DLC enabled. 15 being Vanilla. So closer to 45% being DLC enabled. Of which:

Three are 5/5. 2 are 4/5. 2 are 3/5. 6 are 1/5 of the various map packs. No clean consistency.

I would not be surprised if Conquest has similar percentages of of DLC maps. I'm sure you'll go and try to prove me wrong by "SEE IT'S MORE POPULAR IN CONQUEST" and that's great but: The playerbase seems to prefer playing on vanilla and any DLC enabled servers are mostly dead outside of Conquest which I wouldn't doubt has a similar "Vanilla = populated. DLC = mixed bag" problem.

Oh and before I forget: At the time; 2 of the 28 DLC are filled. Of which One is max/server full.

The player base (even for Conquest I'm sure) would suggest a lot of people aren't buying the map packs OR premium and rather happy sticking with vanilla for the life of the game.

So... why should DICE sell Premium? It seems like the fanbase doesn't give a damn about the maps unless handed them.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
The mixed DLC server thing is indeed for consoles, PC version had this since the beginning as far as I'm aware.

It's not that they don't exist. Private servers can mix, but they won't auto fill and thus never seem to fill consistantly enough to make renting one worth it.

Are you saying that PC has official Dice servers with mixed content since the beginning?

TheSeks

Are you saying that PC has official Dice servers with mixed content since the beginning?

No, he's saying what you're saying. Private/rent-a-servers can do it.

And like you said which is what I said about the PC base ("B-B-BUT CONQUEST!!!"-Kane): Most people don't play on those servers.

Ocho

Seks: "No one plays DLC servers. CQ has healthy mixed DLC servers? Oh, CQ doesn't count because it's the most popular mode that most players play."

TheSeks

Seks: "No one plays DLC servers. CQ has healthy mixed DLC servers? Oh, CQ doesn't count because it's the most popular mode that most players play."

That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is that despite being a more popular mode (to counter Kane) the Conquest servers more than likely have the same "no one really fills the DLC servers" issues.

"OH BUT FIVE SERVERS ARE FILLED COMPARED TO RUSHES 1!"

Out of how many DLC servers for Conquest? Yeahhhhhh that's where I'm coming from.

Conquest may have more servers, but it runs into the same issue that other modes run into: No one wants to play those maps/fill those servers. You having a few more than other modes doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's not hard to see: Same shit happened in BF3 where "premium" was sold maps were played for two weeks on all modes and then everyone went back to Vanilla BF3. Same shit here.

Ocho

That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is that despite being a more popular mode (to counter Kane) the Conquest servers more than likely have the same "no one really fills the DLC servers" issues.

"OH BUT FIVE SERVERS ARE FILLED COMPARED TO RUSHES 1!"

Out of how many DLC servers for Conquest? Yeahhhhhh that's where I'm coming from.

Conquest may have more servers, but it runs into the same issue that other modes run into: No one wants to play those maps/fill those servers. You having a few more than other modes doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's not hard to see: Same shit happened in BF3 where "premium" was sold maps were played for two weeks on all modes and then everyone went back to Vanilla BF3. Same shit here.

Search (servers with players) and it's probably 50/50.

TheSeks

Search (servers with players) and it's probably 50/50.

Then good. The question then becomes: Why are people playing DLC servers on Conquest versus other modes?

Because DICE continues to shoe-horn modes into one map.

(Except I still believe that the majority of the playerbase doesn't have Premium. Otherwise there'd be a LOT more servers offering DLC maps.)

TheSeks

Probably this.

Then it comes back to what I was saying earlier: Since barely anyone plays (OH BUT CONQUEST!-Kane. Shhhhhhhh.-Me) the DLC maps because it's "Premium or Piece-meal:" DICE should just drop the Premium and give the maps out for free. I'd say the DLC servers they have right now would fill up a lot more than they do if the 80% of the playerbase that doesn't have Premium could actually access that content.

But then the question from EA would be: "So how do we sell Premium if we can't sell the maps?"

Well that's harder to answer but maybe the guns: more 2XP (maybe perma-on? IDK) weekends, faster progression. More stats or something. IDK." I, honestly, think Premium is a shitty service and the only "value" it has is getting the maps/guns for $15 less than piecemeal. Though, BF4 added the "Phantom" ARG/bow to attempt to give more value to the service.

Maybe in Conquest in other modes? *crickets*

Then mention that you are talking about other modes rather than Conquest. It's not hard to add that tiny bit of information, you don't expect us to read your mind, do you?

At the time of this post there are at least 7 all DLC + vanilla Conquest Large normal mode servers in North America that are completely full and some even have queues, and this is with less than half a minute of checking the filters and browsing through the wonky server browser.

I would not be surprised if Conquest has similar percentages of of DLC maps. I'm sure you'll go and try to prove me wrong by "SEE IT'S MORE POPULAR IN CONQUEST" and that's great but: The playerbase seems to prefer playing on vanilla and any DLC enabled servers are mostly dead outside of Conquest which I wouldn't doubt has a similar "Vanilla = populated. DLC = mixed bag" problem.

Oh and before I forget: At the time; 2 of the 28 DLC are filled. Of which One is max/server full.

The player base (even for Conquest I'm sure) would suggest a lot of people aren't buying the map packs OR premium and rather happy sticking with vanilla for the life of the game.

So... why should DICE sell Premium? It seems like the fanbase doesn't give a damn about the maps unless handed them.

I never said the majority of the player base doesn't play vanilla, that wasn't my point at all. I only said there are a comfortable amount of CQL servers with all the DLC maps available that are at least near full. Saying nobody plays on the DLC maps is being disingenuous.

I know you're still bitter about Rush, but that doesn't mean you should expect everyone to assume you are talking about Rush rather than Conquest for this game. Either way, adding that information would clarify what specific mode you are mainly talking about.

It's not that they don't exist. Private servers can mix, but they won't auto fill and thus never seem to fill consistantly enough to make renting one worth it.

We don't have any official DICE servers on PC, but we do have servers with the "official" tag that has mixed DLC and vanilla rotations.

I thought the issue was that players weren't able to have mixed DLC servers with official settings on consoles (since official servers are the ones that qualify for matchmaking/quick match, right?). Are console players unable to make servers on official settings with mixed DLC? Or does most of the player base generally prefer to play on DICE servers instead?

Premium for BF4 wasn't as good as the one for BF3, and the issues BF4 had for several months probably didn't help either. Since they might include the extra maps for this year for free for Premium members (while selling them seperately for non-Premium members), we might see more people pick it up, especially since it's only gonna get cheaper as time goes on.

TheSeks

I never said the majority of the player base doesn't play vanilla, that wasn't my point at all. I only said there are a comfortable amount of CQL servers with all the DLC maps available that are at least near full. Saying nobody plays on the DLC maps is being disingenuous.

Yes you did with your "BUT CONQUEST!" retort. No shit Conquest is a more popular mode. It doesn't change what I said: The playerbase does not play on DLC maps, no matter how popular/unpopular the mode is.

Or does most of the player base generally prefer to play on DICE servers instead?

It's been like this since BF3. People prefer to play on [DICE]/EA/P# servers over rent-a-server. That said, I don't think DICE adding DLC maps is going to change the issue for the console playerbase. I'd love to be proven wrong and see that hey DICE actually providing servers for people instead of forcing people to rent would jump them up.

The only benefit (IMO) that PC has in regards to rent-a-server is the map vote plugin AND "active admins." Otherwise I'd vastly prefer DICE to give [DICE] official servers on PC like they do consoles where they have "base rules" like 32p Rush that can't be changed because no one admins the server and it's paid by EA.

Tubie

I thought the issue was that players weren't able to have mixed DLC servers with official settings on consoles (since official servers are the ones that qualify for matchmaking/quick match, right?). Are console players unable to make servers on official settings with mixed DLC? Or does most of the player base generally prefer to play on DICE servers instead?

Premium for BF4 wasn't as good as the one for BF3, and the issues BF4 had for several months probably didn't help either. Since they might include the extra maps for this year for free for Premium members (while selling them seperately for non-Premium members), we might see more people pick it up, especially since it's only gonna get cheaper as time goes on.

Main issue is almost everyone quick matches (willing to bet a lot have never even tried to use the browser) into vanilla even if they have Premium because who wants to queue for just 4 maps, some of which you might not even like. A unified quick match for all of the maps would be used a lot more than the current queue for individual DLC.

TheSeks

In other news: The USAS-12 with IRNV/Flashlight is too damn good on Lockers. Get underground, grab it. Go to the enemy side and proceed to mow people down while carrying the bomb. Amazing.

Yes you did with your "BUT CONQUEST!" retort. No shit Conquest is a more popular mode. It doesn't change what I said: The playerbase does not play on DLC maps, no matter how popular/unpopular the mode is.

-->

Where exactly does it say that the majority of the player base plays on DLC maps?

What you said is irrelevant to the point I made earlier (it's also not true because I mentioned multiple times that there is a comfortable amount of full CQL servers with all DLC available), keep moving those goalposts though.

Main issue is almost everyone quick matches (willing to bet a lot have never even tried to use the browser) into vanilla even if they have Premium because who wants to queue for just 4 maps, some of which you might not even like. A unified quick match for all of the maps would be used a lot more than the current queue for individual DLC.

I understand the quick matches thing, I'm just wondering about whether or not it works for non-DICE servers that still have the official settings tag. Since you can have servers with official settings on PC and also have mixed DLC rotations available on them.

Drifters

DICE needs to start giving the maps away for free to not segment the user base and make the premium stuff either queing or weapons related. I hate not having DLC maps and getting the boot.

DICE needs to start giving the maps away for free to not segment the user base and make the premium stuff either queing or weapons related. I hate not having DLC maps and getting the boot.

I think Premium is one way in attempting to not fragment the player base too much by giving players incentives to get the whole DLC package. That way they get the DLC money they crave for and players are less likely to be buying specific expansion packs separately. Not to mention Premium gets really cheap as time goes on (24 bucks on Xbox One right now).

DICE has been selling several expansion packs ever since the very first BF game, if anything Premium is actually really nice for players who know they are going to be spending a lot of time on the game and don't want to keep buying the DLC separately, plus you get some extras on top of that as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think they should have mainly maps that were designed with conquest in mind, but have a handful that were designed with other modes in mind. I don't need 30 sub par rush maps, 5 solid maps would be fine.

The reason people don't play DLC servers isn't because of modes, it's because only having four maps in a rotation means you play the crappy ones far too often.

The reason people don't play DLC servers isn't because of modes, it's because only having four maps in a rotation means you play the crappy ones far too often.
None of the map packs have been 100% hits. There is always a stinker or two in there, which sucks. I could play in a Back to Karkand server forever in BF3 but I can't stay in a Second Assault server once Firestorm and Metro pop up.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
None of the map packs have been 100% hits. There is always a stinker or two in there, which sucks. I could play in a Back to Karkand server forever in BF3 but I can't stay in a Second Assault server once Firestorm and Metro pop up.
One of the greatest thing about karkand is that every map had variations of the same map. The large versions played very different than the small and on top of that they had conquest assault modes. Dice hasn't put anywhere near as much thought into a DLC since.

Top Bottom