• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Been playing Hardcore Rush after playing Conquest and nothing else for months. It's a real breath of fresh air, matches feel so much more engaging now, and teamwork is way more important.

Seems like they've made an effort to balance the mode, I remember thinking the vanilla maps were just terrible for it. Some still are, but for the most part it's good now.
Cool I may just check this out then. For hardcore is there a certain class set up I should be using? Or anything I should definitely not use?

Cool I may just check this out then. For hardcore is there a certain class set up I should be using? Or anything I should definitely not use?

Perhaps the most useful class for the Attacking team is Recon because they get spawn beacons, letting you and your squad members get closer to the MCOMs without having to run all the way from the spawn area. This is a great way to stay on top of your tickets and keep momentum moving forward. A recon with a Carbine, DMR or Shotgun is as effective as any other player.

But really all classes are important. Of course you need Medics to revive and heal, Support to resupply and use things like the XM25 or Mortar to clear out defenders camping an MCOM. Engineers are useful too as in hardcore vehicles don't regenerate health and of course vehicles can be a real asset when used correctly. I've also seen Engineers use the EOD robot to arm/defuse MCOMs remotely.

Smoke grenades can be a really big deal, especially in hardcore as you don't have a minimap. Either setting the charge or defusing an MCOM is much easier when the enemy team can't see you in a cloud of smoke. They can also be used to just block sightlines, so if you have a sniper or a machinegunner on the enemy team covering a route you can use smoke to get past them. From a defensive point of view, you can also exploit the urgency of the attackers by using smoke at the entrance to a position. The attackers will charge in blind and won't see prepared defenders until it's too late.

As for what NOT to use, claymores can be a real pain in the ass because both you and your team mates can trigger them so it's a sure way to get friendly fire kills. The same goes for anti tank mines. In hardcore you don't really need a suppressor on your weapon since there's no minimap, so feel free to use a better attachment in that slot. Everything else is good really.

I play on PS4 and there's a few servers set up for hardcore rush that have really good maps. Many of the expansion maps are far better suited for Rush than vanilla maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems like they've made an effort to balance the mode, I remember thinking the vanilla maps were just terrible for it. Some still are, but for the most part it's good now.

Rush variants still suck on the DLC maps. With the exception of maybe Final Stand but Final Stand has the same stupid map design issues earlier maps have. :/

Perhaps the most useful class for the Attacking team is Recon because they get spawn beacons, letting you and your squad members get closer to the MCOMs without having to run all the way from the spawn area. This is a great way to stay on top of your tickets and keep momentum moving forward. A recon with a Carbine, DMR or Shotgun is as effective as any other player.

But really all classes are important. Of course you need Medics to revive and heal, Support to resupply and use things like the XM25 or Mortar to clear out defenders camping an MCOM. Engineers are useful too as in hardcore vehicles don't regenerate health and of course vehicles can be a real asset when used correctly. I've also seen Engineers use the EOD robot to arm/defuse MCOMs remotely.

Smoke grenades can be a really big deal, especially in hardcore as you don't have a minimap. Either setting the charge or defusing an MCOM is much easier when the enemy team can't see you in a cloud of smoke. They can also be used to just block sightlines, so if you have a sniper or a machinegunner on the enemy team covering a route you can use smoke to get past them. From a defensive point of view, you can also exploit the urgency of the attackers by using smoke at the entrance to a position. The attackers will charge in blind and won't see prepared defenders until it's too late.

As for what NOT to use, claymores can be a real pain in the ass because both you and your team mates can trigger them so it's a sure way to get friendly fire kills. The same goes for anti tank mines. In hardcore you don't really need a suppressor on your weapon since there's no minimap, so feel free to use a better attachment in that slot. Everything else is good really.

I play on PS4 and there's a few servers set up for hardcore rush that have really good maps. Many of the expansion maps are far better suited for Rush than vanilla maps.
This is all really useful stuff. Thanks man. I'm about to jump into it now.

If anyone plays xbox one hit me up

TCRS

Banned
Huh? I never knew you could destroy the cables just by shooting at then. I always thought you had to plant explosives at the base of the cables.

That's good to know the next time some sniper is camping on the tower at the flag closest to my spawn.

that's exactly what I did you just don't see it in the video. I actually destroyed the base with a rocket, that works too.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, I had some amazing matches tonight. I was in a game with my friend and we started to voice chat. Then random people joined our squad and also started to voice chat. So it turns out that all of our squad basically had mics and we were just communicating like crazy. We were up against really good players and lost the first two matches badly. Then in our third match we just started making a comeback and began winning. And it was constant back and forth matches too, extremely close. We ended up winning our last match by just 7 points! We added each other and just had an amazing fun time. When this sort of shit happens it's amazing to me. <3 BF4

Slixshot

Banned
So I'm ready for Battlefield. Should I wait for Hardline or just pick up 4? Right now I'm leaning toward Hardline because it will be the new hot item in a month AND I like cops and robbers. BUT if people on here didn't enjoy their time, it wouldn't make sense. What are your thoughts?

So I'm ready for Battlefield. Should I wait for Hardline or just pick up 4? Right now I'm leaning toward Hardline because it will be the new hot item in a month AND I like cops and robbers. BUT if people on here didn't enjoy their time, it wouldn't make sense. What are your thoughts?

Now, I like Hardline a lot.

But for me and many others it'll be a stop gap before Battlefront hits, in that sense I'm convinced that BF4 will have the longer enduring community because of population, dlc support. I can see BF4 lasting till BF5.

One thing though if CQ isn't your thing, do not pick up DLC/Premium unless it's really cheap.

Although, in that short period of time I might have BC amounts of fun with Hardline.

Tubie

Well they will both be good investments gaming wise. I still play BF4 and I'm sure I will still play it even when Hardline comes out.

I liked the recent beta a lot so I'm going to have and play both, at least till Battlefront.

TheSeks

Double xp is starting wednesday and ending sunday. :)

So they're finally learning to actually give more days? My problem is the "ending on Sunday." Should be ending on Monday to give West Coast and East Coast US a "full day."

Donos

oh god,hopped into a game with my brand new ps4 and oh boy I'm not going to be even 1/4 as good with a controller as i am with kb/m on pc (played over 200hours of BF3).
Any starter tips? reduced sensitivity to 12 %. Have to play way more to get used to it.

psn: donos_de (Germany)

TheSeks

Fucking DICE. My drivers are up to date and everything.

Nvidia? You probably need to roll back. Whatever the latest drivers did crashes Frostbite consistantly with DirectX "can't_get_device" errors. Which is crazy because you'd think a 1+ year old title wouldn't have these issues. But...

no. no... noooooooo....... *smacks hand*

You know you want it.

I bought the PS3 version of BF4 but I never got around to downloading it. Redoing all the assignments is just ugh.

oh god,hopped into a game with my brand new ps4 and oh boy I'm not going to be even 1/4 as good with a controller as i am with kb/m on pc (played over 200hours of BF3).
Any starter tips? reduced sensitivity to 12 %. Have to play way more to get used to it.

psn: donos_de (Germany)
Real console players play at 100% sensitivity. Step yo game up.

Donos

Really O_O? Well, i could at least understand this for very fast FPS (for fast turning).
I also play with very low sensitivity on PC for maxium accuracy so setting it low for the controller was a given.
Well, since i postponed building a PC rig i have to get used to the pad. I'm just glad i can play BF with good graphics again without the fear of melting my Laptop.

Really O_O? Well, i could at least understand this for very fast FPS (for fast turning).
I also play with very low sensitivity on PC for maxium accuracy so setting it low for the controller was a given.
Well, since i postponed building a PC rig i have to get used to the pad. I'm just glad i can play BF with good graphics again without the fear of melting my Laptop.
Nope. Only crazy people like me play on 100%

terrible

Banned
On PC you can lower your sensitivity a ton because you can just move your mouse really fast to compensate when you need to turn quickly. That's not the case with a controller, you're stuck with that slow speed 24/7. I'd say something around 30 is the minimum for BF4 on console if you want to do well and actually be able to turn around and kill people. You just have to get used to making small movements with the joystick when doing fine tune aiming. I use joystick extenders (FPS freeks) which makes it easier. I use 40 for my sensitivity.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The EOD bot is so ridiculous OP in maps like Locker and Metro lol
A bunch of people were running these on a server last night. They are a pain in the ass to shoot during a major firefight and can take you down really quickly.

Ark

Nvidia? You probably need to roll back. Whatever the latest drivers did crashes Frostbite consistantly with DirectX "can't_get_device" errors. Which is crazy because you'd think a 1+ year old title wouldn't have these issues. But...

Ah that might explain it. I'll make sure to not immediately update to the new drivers from now on :p

Donos

Don't think BF4 ever had a kill confirm sound unfortunately. The developers mentioned looking into the kill feed later on, so maybe they'll add it at some point later.

oh wow... that's like taking the chirp out of killzone. why would you take something like this out. Nobody complained about it on BF3...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
A bunch of people were running these on a server last night. They are a pain in the ass to shoot during a major firefight and can take you down really quickly.
I hope it wasn't me because I got like 91 kills with it in this 400% Locker server :lol

PS4 BTW.

TheSeks

did they remove the kill confirm sound? Or is that a setting thing?

There was a kill confirm sound? Generally the "[WEAPONNAME]USERNAME +100" was enough to know you killed them.

But even then with the coming patch on Tuesday, you'll be able to edit the hitmarkers to have a seperate "headshot" and "kill confirmed" color.

Heysoos

Nothing better than turning on 200%xp boost, going all in on the match, being top of the leaderboard, only for the game to get a connection error when it's almost over and nothing apparently saved.

TheSeks

Nothing better than turning on 200%xp boost, going all in on the match, being top of the leaderboard, only for the game to get a connection error when it's almost over and nothing apparently saved.

Did you wait? Because if Battlelog updated, it sound count your score (but not your boost, which is really the shitty thing). If it didn't and you waited instead of rejoining/joining a different server the server crashed. Which happens and sucks yeah. :/

Heysoos

Did you wait? Because if Battlelog updated, it sound count your score (but not your boost, which is really the shitty thing). If it didn't and you waited instead of rejoining/joining a different server the server crashed. Which happens and sucks yeah. :/

I haven't joined another match after that. It kind of completely deflated my mood to play. Don't know if Battlelog saved anything, the match isn't in my history and my stats appear to be exactly the same since I still have the same amount of kills on the gun I was using as before.

TheSeks

I haven't joined another match after that. It kind of completely deflated my mood to play. Don't know if Battlelog saved anything, the match isn't in my history and my stats appear to be exactly the same since I still have the same amount of kills on the gun I was using as before.

Give it ~30 mins. If the reports haven't updated, it's probably crash.

Heysoos

Give it ~30 mins. If the reports haven't updated, it's probably crash.

Honestly, though I don't care much about the stats. Thing that bums me out more is that it was such a good match, and the server was pretty well balanced with the large majority of people seemingly playing objectives. The ones that were trying to snipe from the uncap were almost instantly kicked. Then a server crash just hits. It's like getting a bj, only to get punched in the balls right before you climax. Kills the mood, yo.

Top Bottom