• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

lordxar

Because DICE doesn't get it. There's more than that map that has water insertions. EVERY FUCKING MAP PACK they've introduced 1-4 water insertions. Final Stand's Sub-pen base map has a "water insertion" on the side while the rest of the map is open. :/ But yeah... DICE should've known to to do that but they did it with Oman, and others. :/

I know...still haven't learned from BF3 apparently. Oman isn't too bad though. At least you get time to reach A. Hainen at least should have kept theven big boat.

no maam

Banned
Played bf4 on xbone last year and actually enjoyed the campaign. Fast forward to this week and I got it for my pc. Graphics and frame rate are amazing on my newly acquired 980, but wtf is up with the keyboard commands? Is there not a way to get xbox control prompts?

Tubie

Done with the last Phantom assignment.

LsR9J8P.png

The bow wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (0.76 KPM with it), just need to be good at getting headshots if you want to be aggresive with it, as 105 of my 221 kills were headshots.

iZ3GVkzpVf18t.png

BF4 was a blast for me from start to finish. It being my first multiplayer FPS ever makes it a very special game for me. I will come back and play whenever they add more maps (or if Hardline bombs).

That being said, I can't wait for Hardline!

x1D1jTx.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know...still haven't learned from BF3 apparently. Oman isn't too bad though. At least you get time to reach A. Hainen at least should have kept theven big boat.

I dunno about that. The Amtrac on Oman takes FOREVER to reach the shore and if the defense rushes and PLD/Javelin/resupplies they can lock down the RHIB's quickly as the Naval Strike Rush opening sets are. :/

Granted, Oman's quick sandstorm can kinda help with the PLD lock-down but Javelins can still be used.

Played bf4 on xbone last year and actually enjoyed the campaign. Fast forward to this week and I got it for my pc. Graphics and frame rate are amazing on my newly acquired 980, but wtf is up with the keyboard commands? Is there not a way to get xbox control prompts?

No, because they're expecting you to be using a keyboard and mouse and not the controller. This isn't like most other modern PC ports.

no maam

Banned
I dunno about that. The Amtrac on Oman takes FOREVER to reach the shore and if the defense rushes and PLD/Javelin/resupplies they can lock down the RHIB's quickly as the Naval Strike Rush opening sets are. :/

Granted, Oman's quick sandstorm can kinda help with the PLD lock-down but Javelins can still be used.

No, because they're expecting you to be using a keyboard and mouse and not the controller. This isn't like most other modern PC ports.

Thanks, thought I was going crazy. I'll have to get used to it and have my keyboard near me.

I don't have that map pack and I have not run into a dice server since the latest patch.

That's really weird. The server for Final Stand is still in my server history, but I haven't seen anyone in it after the patch. All of the other DLC servers for DICE were in my history before the patch, but they've been absent since.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
That's really weird. The server for Final Stand is still in my server history, but I haven't seen anyone in it after the patch. All of the other DLC servers for DICE were in my history before the patch, but they've been absent since.

A friend searched "Dice" in the server browser and all the dice servers came up. They all still exist. If I was to take a guess, the last update turned off the ability to auto fill them from quickmatch. So, they are there, but no one will play them. Now on ps4 there are only rented servers EA official servers that play DLC and all the newbie setting servers.

I swear I played an official EA server on CQ Large with all maps mixed in, but have not been able to find it since. The server landscape has changed, time to adjust boys and girls.

Why don't you sub EA Access on the Xbone? Play it on the PS4 until EA releases it on Access. Going by Madden 15 you'll probably be playing it on your Xbox by the time Battlefront drops.
don't care for their other games.

Because DICE doesn't get it. There's more than that map that has water insertions. EVERY FUCKING MAP PACK they've introduced 1-4 water insertions. Final Stand's Sub-pen base map has a "water insertion" on the side while the rest of the map is open. :/ But yeah... DICE should've known to to do that but they did it with Oman, and others. :/
it's like they said "Kharg Rush worked GREAT!!!"

TheSeks

it's like they said "Kharg Rush worked GREAT!!!"

Kharg, outside of SOFLAM shutdowns on the mountain (which was easy to take out with a sniper anyway) was NO WHERE near as bad as half these water insertions in BF4. Nowhere. You could at least "break the lock" by going the leftmost side (but facing a tank then) and the RHIB's could weave in and out of the locks to attempt to reach the furtherst/right side of the starting set. Even then you could swim around the out of bounds (slowly, granted) to flank to the furthest side.

It's like DICE said "hey, they can swim underwater--under the surface ANYWAY~--to reach the sets. Why not do that?"

BECAUSE IT TAKES FOREVER AND IS A BAD IDEA, OKAY DICE!?

Dr Prob

Banned
That spectator footage of Railway at night is stunning. Being a console peasant I don't know how any of it plays, but it certainly looks cool.

lordxar

Kharg, outside of SOFLAM shutdowns on the mountain (which was easy to take out with a sniper anyway) was NO WHERE near as bad as half these water insertions in BF4. Nowhere. You could at least "break the lock" by going the leftmost side (but facing a tank then) and the RHIB's could weave in and out of the locks to attempt to reach the furtherst/right side of the starting set. Even then you could swim around the out of bounds (slowly, granted) to flank to the furthest side.

It's like DICE said "hey, they can swim underwater--under the surface ANYWAY~--to reach the sets. Why not do that?"

BECAUSE IT TAKES FOREVER AND IS A BAD IDEA, OKAY DICE!?

Lets not forget that they also added a ton of lockon launchers too.

TheSeks

Lets not forget that they also added a ton of lockon launchers too.

Except the lock-on launchers need to HOLD the lock with the exception of two:

-LAW (which is weak as shit and Kane has heard by bitching about using it/attempting to learn to abuse it to effectiveness)
-Stinger (which has a shorter range than the IGLA) which IS "fire-and-forget" in a 200-300(?) meter air-range.

All the others have to hold a lock with the EXCEPTION of a PLD/SOFLAM lock. But: LOL WHO USES THOSE AMIRITE?

Paradrop Javelins are like only a problem on Sabotage. In Rush and Conquest they aren't a major issue because you need to be paraspawning (so someone can find the beacon and take it out) to gain the advantage. Otherwise you're not as high to where the tank can't stop you.

I'd say the amount of lock-on launchers isn't really a problem because of the "hold" change. But I haven't ran into serious "PLD/SOFLAM" lock-downs since launch, if ever. Maybe going into a clan match (or spectating it) where a well-oiled machine shows that kind of abuse, I could see it.

Theorry

BF4 was a blast for me from start to finish. It being my first multiplayer FPS ever makes it a very special game for me. I will come back and play whenever they add more maps (or if Hardline bombs).

That being said, I can't wait for Hardline!

x1D1jTx.png

Ones you are hooked to BF you are hooked. Not only the action and the only in BF moments. But also that BF gives you so much choice what you want to play. One night you only want to play in vehicles, next day you wanna backrage with a LMG and a day later you want to be that spec op with motion balls and a supressed carbine. Thats why you can play BF alot of hours.

Btw is there a Hardline OT planned? :)

RoKKeR

So... where does one find the Premium/all DLC playlists on consoles?

Edit: So I see they are at the bottom of the list but I can't join because it says I don't own Premium... but I do. ???

lordxar

Except the lock-on launchers need to HOLD the lock with the exception of two:

-LAW (which is weak as shit and Kane has heard by bitching about using it/attempting to learn to abuse it to effectiveness)
-Stinger (which has a shorter range than the IGLA) which IS "fire-and-forget" in a 200-300(?) meter air-range.

All the others have to hold a lock with the EXCEPTION of a PLD/SOFLAM lock. But: LOL WHO USES THOSE AMIRITE?

Paradrop Javelins are like only a problem on Sabotage. In Rush and Conquest they aren't a major issue because you need to be paraspawning (so someone can find the beacon and take it out) to gain the advantage. Otherwise you're not as high to where the tank can't stop you.

I'd say the amount of lock-on launchers isn't really a problem because of the "hold" change. But I haven't ran into serious "PLD/SOFLAM" lock-downs since launch, if ever. Maybe going into a clan match (or spectating it) where a well-oiled machine shows that kind of abuse, I could see it.

Don't forget tank guided shells, plane guided, and chopper guided. Oh and active and passive rockets. May not be launchers per se but when your getting a constant beep does it really matter? Besides, hold lock or no, you get one...one flare or active protection burst every like 30 seconds. Hell even in a chopper you can't make it anywhere safe before your one, single, solitary safety piece is gone and your hard pressed to not be locked by anything hauling ass to get away. Tanks can just kiss their ass goodbye. Jets though, you can't shoot down without an AA or a better jet pilot...

I bought the premium edition last week because it was on sale on PSN (£22) and I've found that there are barely any DLC servers for rush mode.

I don't know if it's because of the time of day or whatever (UK), but I expected there to be more servers than this. I wanna try out all of the maps, but at this rate it's going to take me forever.

Hopefully there will be more than four servers later on today when my US brethren return from their workplaces.

lordxar

I bought the premium edition last week because it was on sale on PSN (£22) and I've found that there are barely any DLC servers for rush mode.

I don't know if it's because of the time of day or whatever (UK), but I expected there to be more servers than this. I wanna try out all of the maps, but at this rate it's going to take me forever.

Hopefully there will be more than four servers later on today when my US brethren return from their workplaces.

Try quick match. A recent update pools the maps and mixes them up.

TheSeks

Active Radar you have a point on. But I haven't seen ANYONE (but me) using Guided Shells in the tanks. Everyone else uses the guided wire missile or one of the other missiles over guided. (And frankly, I can't blame them. DICE changed it from fire and forget to fire and hold in one patch)

Active Radar's major bullshit is the lack of a cue that you know you've been active radar'd on.

The 30 seconds cooldown for breaking locks isn't as bad as you're saying it is with the exception of maybe two maps: Golmund Railway and... forgetting the other wide-open map that isn't Naval Strike maps.

Those two make it harder to break locks, but in general most other maps have ample cover to boost forwards/backwards/sideways towards to break a lock if you stiill have a lock after smoke/ECM/active protection kicks in and the cooldown starts.

lordxar

Active Radar you have a point on. But I haven't seen ANYONE (but me) using Guided Shells in the tanks. Everyone else uses the guided wire missile or one of the other missiles over guided. (And frankly, I can't blame them. DICE changed it from fire and forget to fire and hold in one patch)

Active Radar's major bullshit is the lack of a cue that you know you've been active radar'd on.

The 30 seconds cooldown for breaking locks isn't as bad as you're saying it is with the exception of maybe two maps: Golmund Railway and... forgetting the other wide-open map that isn't Naval Strike maps.

Those two make it harder to break locks, but in general most other maps have ample cover to boost forwards/backwards/sideways towards to break a lock if you stiill have a lock after smoke/ECM/active protection kicks in and the cooldown starts.

Probably the sand one...cannot think of the name but you get locked for days on it. Been binge playing for this damn phantom assignment so I tried rush for jet kills and had a bitch of a time when I hit Hainan and now I'm working on tank kills and just getting slaughtered. Actually got on a good team on Op Mortar and knocked the jet kills out in one match. Road killed the shit out of some fools and nearly have all the weapon kills but those 200 tank kills suck...

Overdoziz

Banned
I hate lock-on launchers but damn if I don't hate the tracer dart. Way too difficult too use versus how easy it is to avoid or get rid of while flying a chopper.

*lift off*

*beep beep beep beep beep*

*flare*

*get hit*

*die*

Should've backed off after the flares were used. Bad pilot, 0/10.

A properly balanced lock on weapon is one that needs a tracer dart to lock on to.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to limiting lock ons to laser designated targets only.

Because tracer darts worked so well in BC2. This is a jet whore's wet dream.

lordxar

What I hate is when you start getting locked on one side of the map and continue to stay locked to the other side and even out over some barren island/hill/dune that a random dickhead blueberry camps for his one shot at glory.

lordxar

Why do people act like this is the case?

Not sure I follow? You go into quick match and pick large scale battles, conquest, or rush and it puts you on a mix of maps from base through the DLC. Played large scale a good chunk of the weekend and went through a lot of the maps. Was awesome not being stuck on the same 4 DLC maps over and over or plain vanilla. Its probably not as random as it could be but this is good progress over what we had before.

Jets can handle other jets, throw in some AA emplacements and there you go.

They did that in BF2.

The one where you could have two seat jets that can carpet bomb and dominate an entire match with total impunity.

The concept of AA emplacements is something that they'll hopefully never go back to. Totally worthless against any decent pilot.

TheSeks

Because tracer darts worked so well in BC2. This is a jet whore's wet dream.

I dunno. Let's run with that. Let's say you give the SOFLAM or PLD to the engineer, remove one of the others (probably the SOFLAM since it can be "remote controlled" so it isn't a squishy target?) instead of being a recon kit item. This means a team of engineers need 1) a designator for the Javelin and 2) people equipped with Javelins.

Since BF4 has opened up the "you can make ANY loadout" loadouts... we could then have:

1) Javelin/PLD but Javelin is pointless without the PLD so you probably shouldn't have this loadout
2) Javelin/Repair Tool - Total Support provided people are PLD'ing.
3) PLD/Repair Tool - Total Support provided people are using your PLD locks while having the ability to support your team if nearby to repair them.

One of the major problems with the PLD and SOFLAM is that the range is short AND if you have a lock people can't lock-on since the range for lock-on is too short as well. IIRC I was trying to lockon to a target at 700 meters or so from one of the bases on Golmund but I had to come into 250-200 meter range to even get the LAW to lock-on.

I can't blame people for not using said PLD/SOFLAM and supporting their team is people can't even GET the locks to use to where they go with the "fire and hold" system because it's longer in range in general than the PLD/SOFLAM.

Probably the sand one...cannot think of the name but you get locked for days on it. Been binge playing for this damn phantom assignment so I tried rush for jet kills and had a bitch of a time when I hit Hainan and now I'm working on tank kills and just getting slaughtered. Actually got on a good team on Op Mortar and knocked the jet kills out in one match. Road killed the shit out of some fools and nearly have all the weapon kills but those 200 tank kills suck...

Tanks are not as fucked over by lockons as you're making them out to be. Again: A lot of maps have ample cover to allow you to smoke/ECM/whatever locks and break off. SImilar to Helicopters ECM/Flaring and then going around a building area to recharge/"bug out."

I will readily admit that helicopters (not jets since Jets have LOL HIGHER THAN STINGER RANGE altitude) are fucked over by Stinger/IGLA's probably far more than they should be.

But Javelin "spam" isn't as bad as you're saying it is. I can count on maybe one hand how many times I thought "goddamn the Javelin spam is unreal" and most of those are generally attempting to fight a bomb over a paradrop spawn area (in Sabotage) or Rush/Conquest' having a team of four engineers paradropping on one squad mates recon Spawn Beacon.

Even then, unless they're firing their Javelins RIGHT. AT. THE. SAME. TIME. you can generally get away or stop their locks. I haven't seen a total lock-on domination outside of two rounds or so. But that's mostly due to how the playerbase doesn't coordinate in general.

They did that in BF2.

The one where you could have two seat jets that can carpet bomb and dominate an entire match with total impunity.

The concept of AA emplacements is something that they'll hopefully never go back to. Totally worthless against any decent pilot.

Let's not forget that BF2 also allowed pro-pilots to switch seats, throw missiles at people while dropping in altitude/"hovering" and then switch back to the pilot seat to continue to fly around before being able to pull that again.

The whole air vehicle balance is wonky in each of the Battlefields and why I cry out for a "ground vehicle/infantry only 'infantry only'" mode since BC2's helicopter-fucks of death circles.

TheSeks

Very poor example. Golmud has plenty of cover available.

Even in Golmund you have the ability to back away from most locks. Lock-on range generally ends at... 500 meters(?). Javelins can only lock so far and Golmund is already wide enough as it is that if you're getting locked it's a sign to "back up, go around, push on and fuck it: #YOLO" as options.

Unless their ENTIRE team is spread out on that map it's near impossible to be completely dominated by Javelins or other lockons. In which case: they aren't PTFO in general (unless on Conquest, granted) and thereby half your team can either attempt to take them out or ignore them and get the objectives done.

Sure mate.

Sounds like you're not convinced.

If you can't look at the picture you provided and see at the very least a decent amount of cover on top of the actual map being on a ridge where you can't even see the other side, then maybe it's not the lock on weapons that are the issue.

Or competitive and/or dedicated helicopter pilots are given a free pass to do reasonably well on that map by the enemy team almost every time, who knows.

Even in Golmund you have the ability to back away from most locks. Lock-on range generally ends at... 500 meters(?). Javelins can only lock so far and Golmund is already wide enough as it is that if you're getting locked it's a sign to "back up, go around, push on and fuck it: #YOLO" as options.

Unless their ENTIRE team is spread out on that map it's near impossible to be completely dominated by Javelins or other lockons. In which case: they aren't PTFO in general (unless on Conquest, granted) and thereby half your team can either attempt to take them out or ignore them and get the objectives done.

Helicopters and tanks have a relatively easy time on that map. There's plenty of cover available, and I'm seriously not sure why apparently some seem to think there isn't any.

Sure, there are some problems with the AA such as Stingers and IGLAs having ridiculous amounts of acceleration, and the MAA having no spread and being able to effectively take down any aircraft up to 750m if the driver is really good, but those aren't exclusive to that map. Even then, it's still not that bad, and once they fix those up, it'll be even easier to stay up in the air longer.

jond76

Banned
So I have premium, it's all installed, but when I choose the "Battlefield" "Large scale battles" or "Close quarters" it prompts me to buy the dlc. I click ok, and it tells me I already have it.

Anyone have a workaround for this? On Xbox One.

lordxar

So I have premium, it's all installed, but when I choose the "Battlefield" "Large scale battles" or "Close quarters" it prompts me to buy the dlc. I click ok, and it tells me I already have it.

Have you downloaded all the DLC? If anything is missing you'll get prompted.

TheSeks

Premium is only a "pass" to owning the DLC. You still need to download the DLC.

Which will just be 100kb unlock files IIRC due to the patches including the DLC in them for later.

RoKKeR

I'm having the same issue, no idea why. Might just uninstall and then redownload everything.

Top Bottom